Start by marking “Americosis Vol. I” as Want to Read:
Americosis Vol. I

Americosis Vol. I

A naked man arrives in New Mexico claiming to have traveled through time.
He says that he's America's savior.

A bizarre sexually-transmitted infection in New York takes control of people's bodies and burns them out in an incessant drive to infect others.

And a Presidential candidate is conversing with angels.
His aides think he's crazy.
The electorate might not agree with
Published July 9th 2015 by Dead Bird Press

To ask other readers questions about Americosis Vol. I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Americosis Vol. I

Mathew Walls
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook, funny-novels
Haydn Wilks offered to send me a free copy of this book in exchange for a review. I accepted and am now happy to hold up my end of the deal. But where to begin? This book is hilarious for all the wrong reasons. I don't think I can really do it justice, so let me just quote a couple of passages:

The car chugged through traffic enough that John was brought level with the river. The Hudson. The skyscraper-lined natural feature that one of humanity's greatest artifices has been constructed around. …
amomentsilence
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
SEE MY FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG:
Reckless Indulgence | of the Written Word

This book was weird as fuck, and yet,I just couldn't put it down! When I got to the end, I was just in shock because how the hell could it end like that?!?! I still have questions that need answers! Like what the hell is going on with the presidential candidate and who is this Savior? And just... EVERYTHING! I won't lie, I am thoroughly intrigued and demand more immediately!

Lastly - this is to any potential readers - I sugg
Q.
Sep 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novellas, ebooks
I received this story for free in exchange for an honest review.

I was contacted with regards to this novelette by the author, who compared it favorably to my absolute favourite novel John Dies At the End. At first I was going to pass by the request but hey, it was short and another Goodreads friend was reading it. Plus, I really, really liked the title.

I don't have a lot to say.

I didn't care for this story.

A third of it feels like someone from Idiocracy is trying to re-write a Warren Ellis stor
Rose
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually did enjoy reading this but it's only 60 pages long so there isn't much to rate or review thus the 3 stars.

There are two storylines so far and because it's so short, these have to be spoilers:
(view spoiler)
Jason
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
The book has promise, it's a bit rough around the edges and the characters could do with a bit more development, as this is a series I hope we'll see that start to happen. This author has no fear and I can see future 1* reviews by those who are angered by the content, he is not scared to upset those who are religious, risky stuff but made me laugh. I also learnt something about dinosaurs, mainly Velociraptors, the book is worth reading for that alone.

I'm glad I gave this a go, looking forward to
Yvonne (It's All About Books)
bramericosis
Finished reading: July 20th 2015
Rating 3,5

“The world's more globalized than ever before, but it's also never been more precarious.”

*** A copy of this novella was kindly provided to me in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Bloggeretterized
Full review on my blog.

Have you ever read a book that doesn’t make sense at all but at the same time it makes sense and leaves you wanting more? Americosis by Haydn Wilks was such a book for me. I don’t mean this in a bad way; I mean it in a good way.

Americosis. The title got me at hello. It’s a new word, it’s intriguing…at least it was for me. The cover of this book gave me the exact idea of what this book was going to be about. As soon as I saw it, I thought I was in for one psychedelic wild
Wendle
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I was asked to review this book by the publisher, and the synopsis truly tempted me. Time travel, infection, mental health and a possible apocalypse... it has so many of my favourite things and sounded perfectly weird and wonderful.

It's a short book, made up of several separate narratives that gradually weave together. That aspect really worked well for me. Seeing the characters and plots meet and overlap builds the excitement and keeps me reading. At first you might think all the stories are in
Euzie
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bizarro
First and foremost, I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review which this will be.

I was contacted by Hadyn Wilks a while back as I have read David Wong's books (John dies at the end, This book is full of spiders) and suggested this might appeal to me. While those books certainly have the element of the absurd about them, Americosis fits firmly into the Bizarro Fiction sub-genre. For good and bad.

This carries with it some baggage from that scene, which I have had a probl
Cobar B
Oct 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a free copy from the author in return for an honest review, so here is my take. I understand this free read in exchange of a review is part of a marketing ploy. So good effort on the writer. Disclaimer: it wouldn’t be fair to evaluate the narrative based on only the first few parts of a novel, since no resolution exists in Americosis Volume 1.

How I feel reading the novel: I am glad that this novel is a fast read, after forcing myself to read through super-technical The Abominable. Tho
Annette Skupin
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Americosis Vol 1 is off to a good start. I'm on board with finding out what happens next. This installment puts all the pieces in place. I'm ready to read on to see how it plays out from here.

Pros - 1st- The plot is intriguing and fast paced. The build up is good that indicates things are about to go very bad for Earth, the US in particular. Things are happening in several places and appear to be unrelated but the reader is sur
Maddalena
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I have been given this book for free in exchange of a honest review.

Quite a nice read and certainly entertaining. Of course, this is only a novella that introduces the story, so it's a bit like reviewing the first chapter of a novel. It's hard to have a clear opinion of something I have just started reading.

Well, it did puzzle me at the beginning, mostly because of one gratuitous fellatio scene (yes, the virus is sexually transmitted, but this doesn't mean that EVERYONE has to be sex-obsessed an
Stewart Tame
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This is another of those books that I wish I had liked more. To be fair, it's not a complete book so much as a teaser for one. It's entirely possible that characters who are mere ciphers in this will be fully fleshed out once they've had more screen time. There's a satirical streak running through this that I like. But none of the characters are particularly likeable, and I find myself not caring what happens to them, which is a problem if you're trying to convince me to read further. There's a ...more
Kylie Kaemke
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-published
This book was given to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

It’s very strange, and it sounds strange from the synopsis, so it’s not like it was a shock. I knew going into it that it was going to be very different from anything I normally read, and that was what drew me into it in the first place. So in that aspect I wasn’t disappointed. It had a bizarre way about it that kept me reading because I needed to know more.

The language was really odd and exciting also. The several separate nar
Sharon Benham
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asked-to-read
I was sent this book to read in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I don't even know where to begin.

An naked man is hit by a car and when he regains consciousness he says he is from the future and is here to save America. He doesn't know how the opportunity will arise.

In places this book is very fast paced. There are quite a few characters and I got a little confused at times. But I find that a problem with any book with a lot of characters.

The book is only part one so it is mostly a hint o
Kevin
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This book was given to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

"Americosis Vol. I" was... okay. When I say that, I mean that it wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I like the premise of the book. There's time travel. Some sort of sentient disease. Dinosaurs devouring small children. (That's a given.) However, overall, it felt incomplete. Seeing as this was only part of a book, that might be unfair but there wasn't enough presented for me to really get a feel for any of the characters. I
Karri
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novella has it all. I am not just saying that, it really does! If you're reading this review, then you have most likely already read the blurb about the book, and it intrigued you enough to read some reviews. Let me tell you, READ THIS!!

This first volume is a quick read, and it was over before I knew it. I sit here feeling so lucky to have been offered a free copy for an honest review, because it is the most unusual and addictive story I've read in awhile. I will be anxiously waiting for v
writegeist
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wilks sets the stage with this frenetic teaser. Get ready for a "bizarro" mix of violence, sex, and horror with the future of America at stake. This psycho mix of the supernatural and conspiracies reminded me of the Illuminatus! trilogy. Not for the easily offended. But come on; getting offended is overrated.
David
Aug 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This was an ejoyable read for me. There were a couple of parallel story lines developed that I think will eventually link up in a interesting way. The writing and character development was good. I am looking for to the next installment to see what happens.
Sasha
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The author offered me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I am rating it a 2.5, rounding it up to 3 stars.

One of the reasons that I cannot award this any more than that is because I don't know where it's headed. The book ends abruptly and is more a preview than a whole book (you will have noticed that it's only 60 pages, also one of the reasons why I managed to read it while commuting and not making the author wait forever for a review). However, there is more to it than
Kassandra
Oct 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010s, white-guys, fantasy
I was given this book by the publisher in exchange for writing an honest review about it because I liked John Dies at the End.

Since it was my boyfriend's idea to read John Dies at the End and he loved it more than me, we read this book together. My review will cover both of our opinions.

This book started off pretty interesting, though somewhat heavy-handed in its descriptions. The "you" character is the most interesting and compelling, which the boyfriend and I both agreed with, and I could re
Steve Isaak
Americosis Vol 1 is a fun, fast-moving New York-to-Texas tale containing sex, violence, gore, science fiction and humor. Wilks's work here is entertaining and worth owning, if you enjoy sketched-out characters and are okay with word rush apocalyptic set-ups for longer stories -- set-ups that have not-quite-cliffhanger endings.

Followed by Americosis Vol 2.
Kate
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books
Full disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Americosis is a novella kick-starting a series. Volume one deals with three separate plotlines and either connects them or hints at how the connections will occur in future volumes: the first successful time-traveler, who's come to the U.S. prior to the point where the country disappears from the history books in hopes of changing his future, and who's inadvertently thrown the time-space continuum into havoc by doin
Collin Henderson
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
I was approached by the author of the book to read it for free in exchange for an honest review. I was promised that it would be similar in tone to John Dies at the End, one of my favorite books ever.

And while I can't rightly say this first installment is quite on the level of David Wong's masterfully weird horror comedy, it's a mostly good first installment for a self published serialized novel. It essentially follows two seemingly unrelated but connected storylines; in the first, a ripped, wel
Rosie
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
I was sent Americosis Volume 1 by Dead Bird Press in exchange for an honest review. I didn’t really know what to make of the summary, it didn’t sound like anything I had read or heard of before which interested me. However it wasn’t quite what I expected and has left me unsure as to whether I wish to read the next instalment.

The novella begins with an unnamed narrator who seems to be not of this Earth. This quickly changes to the disgraced PR businessman John suspended over an inappropriate ema
Alexander Engel-Hodgkinson
I took advantage of the time when this was up for free on Amazon because I liked the sound of the story, and the cover is absolutely fantastic! Honestly, it's got to be among my favourite indie book covers of all time. Props to the artist there.

Now, the book itself...

We follow three separate stories that are obviously connected in some way (set-up for Vol. 2, I'm sure). In one, we have a naked man hit by a drunk woman's truck, and then she brings him home, and because she's drunk, and he's well-
Angel
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
The author sent me a copy of this ebook in exchange for an honest review.

As noted in other reviews Americosis Vol. 1 is basically just the introduction, intended to be the first part of a set of serial novels. That is in a way good, because nothing is explained in Americosis Vol 1. There seem to be two general plot lines that are important-

1) a "Savior" who appears naked in the New Mexico night and is soon thereafter run over by a drunk driver in a pickup truck. The immediate and main focus th
Melissa Levine
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Lizzy Baldwin
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Might need a second for that blurb to sink in because I can bloody promise you, I did. This book is so odd, confusing, and bizarre and frankly, a bit nuts, but I couldn’t stop myself reading it for one minute. I read this in my lunchbreak at work and just couldn’t stop until it was finished (mainly because I was terrified I would forget all that had happened and have to start all over again.) As the blurb states, the book follows a number of different story lines; the savior who happens to turn ...more
Amanda
Nov 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I received this book in return for an honest review.

May contain spoilers.

Firstly, the writing style was not for me. It was casual in a similar sense to David Wong's This Book is Full of Spiders but it did not have the same edginess and humor as Wong and I was put off. Using language like "underdeveloped noggin" was a weak attempt at humorous writing, in my opinion.

In the first section with Maybelline I feel the author could not get into her head effectively. Her thoughts after hitting a stran
« previous 1 3 next »
Haydn Wilks was born in Caerphilly, Wales in 1987. After graduating from King’s College London, he spent a year flitting between call centre firings before heading to Seoul, South Korea. Four years later, he headed to Groningen in the Netherlands to do an MA, and is now residing in Tokyo. His writing mixes the local and the global, throwing together a wide range of characters from across the inter ...more
“It's testosterone," Sandra explained. "Too much, the guy's an ape. Too little, he's an ant.” 0 likes
“She wasn't needed until people like him had a spare moment to get their heads examined. She could sleep as they cracked beneath the highpressure system of Manhattan morning, then stroll in at lunch time to mop the mental mess up.” 0 likes