Jump to ratings and reviews

(Fairly) True Tales Series

Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood

Red is not afraid of the big bad wolf. She’s not afraid of anything . . . except magic.
But when Red’s granny falls ill, it seems that only magic can save her, and fearless Red is forced to confront her one weakness.

With the help of a blond, porridge-sampling nuisance called Goldie, Red goes on a quest to cure Granny. Her journey takes her through dwarves’ caverns to a haunted well and a beast’s castle. All the while, Red and Goldie are followed by a wolf and a huntsman—two mortal enemies who seek the girls’ help to defeat each other. And one of them just might have the magical solution Red is looking for. . . .

256 pages, Hardcover

First published April 12, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Liesl Shurtliff

10 books666 followers
Liesl Shurtliff is a New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of books for young readers. Her books include RUMP, JACK, RED, and GRUMP, all part of the (Fairly) True Tales series from Knopf/Random House, and the TIME CASTAWAYS trilogy from Katherine Tegen/HarperCollins.

Liesl was born and raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, with the mountains for her playground. Before she became a writer, Liesl graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in music, dance, and theater. She now lives in Chicago with her husband and four children. Visit her online at www.lieslshurtliff.com and @lieslshurtliff everywhere.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
73 (2%)
1 star
27 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 483 reviews
Profile Image for Katie (Hiding in the Pages).
2,839 reviews205 followers
February 22, 2016
I'm always curious to see how an author can change a beloved classic and spin it in a new way, yet leaving the best, lovable parts intact. Ms. Shurtliff does a fantastic job in doing just that--weaving a familiar tale with unique twists that makes it new and fresh.

In a lot of re-tellings, Red almost seems like an oblivious, spoiled child, yet in this one, there is depth to the reasons why she does what she does and it makes sense. She's actually brave, fearful, charming, and brash, all rolled up into one great character. I love the way Red figures things out with her situation and doesn't just sit back, waiting for things to fall into her lap.

One of my favorite things about this book (and I have read Rump, so I'm not sure if it's similar, but I'm guessing it is), is that there are so many different snippets into other fairy tales. I loved seeing how they're all interconnected. I loved the friendships that are formed and the character lessons learned are fantastic. I'm excited to pass this series on to my almost ten year old daughter because the adventure, danger, fun, and magic is very exciting and perfect for anyone who loves middle grade fiction.

Content: mild moments of peril and violence. Clean!

*I received a copy to review through the publisher in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Linda .
3,615 reviews39 followers
February 26, 2016
I couldn’t help but think of the word “family reunion” as I read this new tale by Liesl Shurtliff. There are new things to learn about Red Riding Hood, but there also are reminders of her past adventures with Rump, good memories touched on. Red has inherited the strength of magic from her Granny, but early in the book we learn that Red stays away from it because of disasters that happened in her young life. Once she tried a small spell or two, which never worked, and one nearly became the end of Granny. To Red’s dismay, one day she arrives to find Granny in bed, very ill, and sends Red off to find the ingredients for a strong medicine. The ingredients are not all found, and Red’s path turns to a new idea: she begins to look for the spells that would mean eternal life so that Granny would never die. This leads to an adventure with dwarves, being followed by a wolf and a hunter, and conflicting experiences with a beast. There is also a new unwanted companion, the familiar one with blonde curls, Goldie. Goldie’s on a search too, and that porridge-loving girl we all love is both an irritant and a help to Red. Does this sound complicated? It is, wonderfully. I was surprised whenever I rounded a corner with Red, worried when she was in danger, commiserated with her feelings, admired her courage and rooted for her success. I loved every bit.
Profile Image for Michelle Simpson.
607 reviews25 followers
November 15, 2015
Liesl Shurtliff has done it again! This book is fabulous! It tells the true story of Red Riding Hood, while taking readers on quite an adventure. As we go on a journey with Red, we find several other characters, places, and events that we know through familiar fairy tales. I felt a quick connection with Red, and was cheering her on very early in the book. Don't miss this one in the spring of 2016!

I received an ARC at the AASL Conference.
Profile Image for Ayşenur Nazlı.
Author 31 books69 followers
October 24, 2019
Bugüne kadar okuduğum en güzel Kırmızı Başlıklı Kız hikayesiydi. Editlendi, dizgiye gönderildi, yakında bizlerle buluşması dileğiyle :')
Profile Image for Cheryl .
8,924 reviews391 followers
December 22, 2017
Some children will love this. I probably would have, as a child. But it's just a wee bit superficial and I can't give it the full four stars.

I do like lots of the elements, for example Granny's table has her favorite recipes etched right into it (I considered that on our old table, in fact).

The Beauty and the Beast tale twist was especially interesting. Do not read this spoiler if you think you'll read the book.

Now I'm off to read the first book in the series. (Oops.)
Profile Image for Brooke's Epic Emporium.
850 reviews188 followers
February 10, 2016
I want to thank Knopf Books for Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

I love a good fairy tale retelling. And I don't see many on the Middle Grade level. So when I was contacted about reviewing this book I jumped at the chance. I love the story of Red Riding Hood, though many of the versions we tend to see are quite a bit more fluffy than what was originally written.

Red is an interesting character. It took me a bit to start to like her. I loved the background about the magic that her family has, as we don't get to see anything like that when we read the actual fairy tale. She had a fierce independence I was not expecting. And she's quite a bit of a loner who has a hard time letting anyone in. I will be honest and say when her age was revealed I was a bit surprised. She really did seem much older than what she was.

The secondary characters are fun. I know this is not the only book in this series and Red does reference Rump, her best friend who she misses terribly. I would love some more background on their relationship. We also get to meet Goldie, and yes, it's that Goldie you are thinking of. I liked how Shurtliff incorporated a bit of that story into this one. And then there's the Huntsman who, of course, is not quite what he seems. The Beast is quite the twist in this story. I would like to see that story play out more as it's not exactly what we expect from Beauty and the Beast!

The book is filled with magic and fun. Red takes on many adventures in the woods with her friends. And you'll be surprised who are the actual friends and enemies in this book.

My only issue with the book was that the main character, who is only 12, speaks like an adult, or even a older young adult. The words she chooses to use are not something I would hear coming from a 12 year old (and I have a 12 year old at home as a reference point). It's not to say that perhaps being so independent has forced her to grow older before her time, but I was surprised at how she at times seemed like such an adult and then other times was so much more naive than I thought she would be. It was a bit of a conflict for me.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and can see my middle son picking this one up. I'd like to take a look at the other books in this series and see the other character's stories. I think it would be interesting to see how they all intertwine. Fans of the show Once Upon a Time will definitely fall right into this. A great read for anyone who loves fairy tales!
Profile Image for Nhi Nguyễn.
958 reviews1,200 followers
October 15, 2017
Lần đầu tiên mình đọc câu chuyện về Cô bé quàng khăn đỏ có phép thuật đấy, và thực sự là rất hay. Red là tên của cô bé, đúng với màu chiếc áo choàng kỳ diệu mà cô bé luôn mặc trên người. Bà ngoại của Red, thú vị lắm nhé, chính là nàng Red Rose trong truyện cổ Grimm nổi tiếng “Bạch Tuyết và Hồng Hoa” (câu chuyện về hai chị em gái giải cứu một chàng hoàng tử khỏi lời nguyền lốt gấu do một tên thần lùn gây ra và giúp chàng đòi lại số châu báu bị thần lùn lấy cắp. Sau đó Bạch Tuyết lấy hoàng tử, còn Hồng Hoa lấy anh của hoàng tử ^^. Đọc full truyện ở đây nha: https://www.grimmstories.com/vi/grimm...)

Cuộc phiêu lưu của Red là chuyến hành trình của một cô cháu gái sợ hãi thứ phép thuật diệu kỳ nhưng chưa thể kiểm soát được của chính mình, lên đường cùng người bạn Goldie tìm kiếm phương cách giúp bà ngoại Rose Red sống bất tử (vì bà ngoại đang bị bệnh khá nặng, mà Red thì lại không muốn bà phải chết). Chuyến hành trình ấy trái ngược hoàn toàn với những gì chúng ta từng biết về câu chuyện “Cô bé quàng khăn đỏ”, khi mà Sói thì lại là một sinh vật đáng yêu, trung thành, can đảm và gắn bó với Red vô cùng. Thế giới phép thuật màu nhiệm bao bọc chuyến hành trình của Red và Goldie, nơi thần lùn, tiên tí hon, tiên cây cùng tồn tại. Và trên chuyến hành trình ấy, Red đã phải rất nhiều lần đối mặt với nỗi sợ hãi về việc sẽ mất bà, về việc tin tưởng vào khả năng điều khiển phép thuật của mình, về cái giá phải trả cho sự bất tử. Cô bé dần dần học được những bài học quý giá để biết cách trân quý cuộc sống hữu hạn, hiểu được sức mạnh của tình bạn và ý nghĩa của việc đối mặt với những nỗi sợ hãi của bản thân.

Một câu chuyện hấp dẫn diệu kỳ với những điều bất ngờ ở những thời điểm mà bạn không thể nào ngờ được. Hãy chuẩn bị tinh thần để đón nhận một cú twist với câu chuyện của Giai nhân và Quái vật, cũng như sự thật về bác thợ săn trong câu chuyện “Bạch Tuyết và bảy chú lùn”. Thực sự không biết bằng cách nào mà tác giả Liesl Shurtliff lại có thể nghĩ ra được cách biến hóa câu chuyện cổ tích nổi tiếng muôn đời “Cô bé quàng khăn đỏ” trở thành một chuyến phiêu lưu tràn đầy sự tươi mới, thú vị và khác biệt như thế. Cô quả là một nhà văn có trí tưởng tượng vô song!!!

P.S.: Cuốn này hay vậy mà hình như ít người đọc nhỉ? Lên Goodreads không thấy bản tiếng Việt luôn, nên mình phải lật đật add vào đó...
Profile Image for Vi (like the letter).
938 reviews65 followers
March 16, 2016
I do love a retelling that’s entertaining and different than what you’re used to. Shurtliff defies much of what you’d expect from Red’s tale and turned it into a funny and thought-provoking story for young readers. Take what you thought you knew about Red and the big bad Wolf, add a bit of a magic to her Grandma as well, and you’ve got only a tip of this interesting tale. Red’s story not only includes her Granny and the Wolf, it also includes other well-known fairy-tale characters such as Goldilocks, the Huntsman (from Snow White), and the Beast. You also see creatures such as nymphs, dwarfs, sprites, and more. The author’s spin was twisty with a touch of dark, and there’s a ton of magic involved.

Red goes on an adventure to save her grandma, who is really sick, and through this, learns to face her fears of magic and discovers just how strong and strong-willed she is. I liked the sense of empowerment the story gives the reader, telling them that looking for the easy way out, through magic and stuff, isn’t the best thing, and that you’ve got to look inside yourself to find the true magic. I’m definitely curious about the other books in this series and if they’re anything like this one, I’m sure I’ll have fun reading it.
Profile Image for Elevetha .
1,723 reviews165 followers
February 13, 2016
**An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

A fun hodgepodge of fairytales, focusing on Little Red Riding Hood, obviously, but with appearances from Beast, the Huntsman, Goldielocks, and more! What I specially liked is how my expectations of these well-known and often loved fairytale characters were turned on their head - I do love a good twist!

Full review to come closer to publication.
Profile Image for Michele Knott.
3,509 reviews155 followers
March 10, 2016
I have enjoyed all of Liesl Shurtliff's "True Story" series that tell a little bit of a twist to a very familiar fairy tale. But I think Red may be my favorite. I loved the themes of friendship and destiny that were woven through the story.
Profile Image for Meredith .
251 reviews148 followers
March 13, 2016
I don’t read a lot of Middle Grade. But the few I’ve read so far have been epic! And Red was no exception! I loved the mingling of fairy tales, as well as the world and the rules. I love twisted fairy tales and this book was the perfect combination of twisty and fun!

It takes a little while to warm up to Red. In the beginning, she’s a bit snippy, bossy and rude. But she was also fierce, brave and determined. I don’t know if it’s just because their stories stem from the same fairy tale or what, but Red reminded me a LOT of Scarlet from The Lunar Chronicles! She definitely had a LOT of character growth from beginning to end!

Goldie was really chipper and kind, but also incredibly innocent (borderline naive) and just a touch annoying – especially in the beginning. She definitely means well, she just doesn’t seem to know how to express certain things. By the end of the book, though, I adored her and the friendship between her and Red!

I loved the wolf. From the very beginning, we were led to believe he was the bad guy. But I refused to believe it. You can judge for yourself when you read the book, but I loved his character and the way his story ended.

There were a LOT of secondary characters that I adored, but it’s hard to discuss them all without spoilers. So I’m just going to encourage you – again – to read this epic book!

There were also a LOT of life lessons in this book. Maybe I just noticed it more because I’m older, but it felt like each one was not-so-subtly shoved at the reader; however, this was a good thing because the life lessons taught were VERY important! The biggest life lesson this book teaches – in my opinion – is about fearing death and that you actually shouldn’t. Death is a part of life. It’s good to feel sadness in times of loss because it means we have loved and lost, but we’re truly alive. That death isn’t the end because we live on in the memories of others. Another important life lesson is that you should trust yourself and be confident in your abilities. The other life lessons I noticed are a bit more spoilerish, so I won’t share them – You’ll just have to read the book to discover them!

Red is a companion to Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin and Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk, but it can be read on its own. There were a few moments when Red mentioned Rump and I could see how reading Rump first might help, but I never felt lost or confused or like I HAD to read them.

My biggest issue with this book? I wanted maps! The land was described in such detail and Red and Goldie traveled to such amazing places, I just wanted maps of EVERY place they went! Desperately! (Dear Knopf Books for Young Readers: Please give me maps! In the book or as swag for the book.. I’m not picky! Just please give me maps!!!)

There were some epic twists and turns in this book. Some I expected, some I didn’t. But all of them kept me intrigued and dying to find out how things would end. I read it in a matter of hours because it was a quick, fun book and I just didn’t want to put it down!

Overall, if you couldn’t tell, I adored this book! If you love fairy tale retellings, I highly recommend it, especially if you’re a fan of middle grade! And if you don’t read much middle grade, I still highly recommend it – it just might change your mind!

You can also find more from me on my blog: Pandora's Books
Profile Image for Karissa.
3,868 reviews189 followers
March 6, 2016
This was an incredibly well done continuation of the fairy tale retellings Shurtliff has been writing. Shurtliff also wrote Jack (which I enjoyed) and Rump (which I absolutely loved). This is the third book in her series of fairy tale retellings; it can be read stand alone but also starts off where Rump left off. There are some characters that are in all three books and some that are new.

Red isn’t afraid of the Deep Dark Woods or the Big Bad Wolf; however she is afraid of her own magic. When Granny gets sick Red realizes that magic may be the only cure and sets off on a quest to save Granny. Along the way she meets Goldie, a girl who can seek and find anything gold and is quite the perky nuisance. Goldie and Red end up on quest to find a dwarf that grants wishes, magical healing wine, and roses that grant immortality.

This was a very fun read. Parts are laugh out loud funny and you never know what crazy magical creature you will run into next. Parts are also very heartfelt as Red and Goldie become friends and Red meets a particularly huge wolf.

I also really enjoyed how the story blended in other fairy tales. This is definitely a Red Riding Hood retelling, but we also run into other fairy tales. The stories of Beauty and the Beast, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Red Rose and Snow White, and Snow White and the Huntsman are all present there in one form or another. All of the fairy tales included have very clever twists to them and I enjoyed how they were woven into Red’s story.

Red is one of my favorite characters from the previous books so I was thrilled to see her get her own story. It really was my favorite of the three fairy tale retellings Shurtliff has done so far. I loved all of the adventure and magic in here.

Overall this is a spectacular middle grade fairy tale retelling full of adventure, magic and lessons about friendship and family. It was fast-paced, hilarious, and heartfelt and I really loved it. I can’t wait to see what Shurtliff writes next!
Profile Image for Barbara.
12.9k reviews265 followers
April 16, 2016
Although Red is close to her beloved grandmother, she doesn't seem to have her talent for casting spells and spinning magic. In fact, every time Red tries her hand at magic, things go very wrong. But with Granny ailing and her parents away, she must find a way to save her grandmother. Her journey takes her deep into the woods where she meets up with a most annoying Goldilocks and a wolf that is determined to be her friend. She also is tricked by a dwarf and meets Beast who has lost her beauty because of Red's grandmother. Readers familiar with the original story won't be surprised that there's also a woodcutter in the tale, but he is quite different from the original one. Filled with magic and plenty of self-realizations about beauty and the perils of wishing to stave off growing old or dying, this book provides plenty of entertainment for all ages, particularly because of the liberties the author takes with Red Riding Hood's story, sprinkling in all sorts of other characters and revealing the identity of Red's Granny, a revelation which will surprise readers. It's fun to see how much humor, pathos, and excitement the author packs into this book. Fans of Rump will find this one quite delightful.
Profile Image for Czechgirl.
362 reviews14 followers
June 27, 2019
Albert Einstein once said, "If you want intelligent children, read them fairy tales. If you want your children more intelligent, read them more fairy tales." This saying could not be more true for this fractured fairy tale of Little Red Riding Hood that Liesl Shurtliff wrote. Red is afraid. Her fear overcomes her so much, everything she tries just spirals downward. The reader/Red learns one must not be afraid. It is fear that ruins. Many in this country can learn from reading this fractured fairy tale. With all the turmoil/prejudices/anger in the world--it all stems from fear and people's fear is making our country spiral downwards.

This story is the third in Shurtliff's fractured fairy tale "series". I thought Rump was fabulous and so creative. But when I read her second book, Jack, I was somewhat disappointed. It wasn't bad, but the story didn't flow liked Rump did. So I was not expecting much from this book. Well, Shurtliff is back in action. Red is not only fabulous, but the story, the writing, the message--it all beats Rump. This is Shurtliff's best work yet.
Profile Image for Reading is my Escape.
830 reviews45 followers
September 1, 2018
Audience: Upper Elementary/Middle School

The first time I tried my hand at magic, I grew roses out of my nose.
- First sentence

Red's granny is sick (maybe dying) and she is determined to find a way to save her. She sets off on an adventure that brings understanding, knowledge, fear, excitement and even unexpected friendships.

Other books in this series include Rump, Jack, and Grump. They all come from the same world, but see it from different perspectives.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series so far. I haven't read Grump, but I'm sure it won't disappoint. Red is a great character though a bit naive and sheltered. She learns a great deal during her adventure and grows into a stronger person.

Bottom line: A fresh take on the story of Red Riding Hood that will take you on an exciting adventure filled with danger and unexpected friendships.
Profile Image for Leah Agirlandaboy.
527 reviews10 followers
June 14, 2019
Well, this was utterly delightful from start to finish! Fresh, inventive, confident, expertly paced, full of action and pathos and girl power and soul...I’m just completely charmed. (I feel like I did when I finished the first Harry Potter book a million years ago: like I’d just read something that perfectly accomplished what it’d set out to do.) I can’t wait to read the rest of Shurtliff’s fairytale books. (I read this aloud with my 6yo, but my 10yo read two of them in two days and is onto the third.)
Profile Image for Donna.
1,431 reviews
October 31, 2015
Out of the three so far in the series, I liked this one the best. Enjoyed the way Shurtliff weaved other fairytale characters into Red's story.
Red has magic, but is afraid of it. She can never get the spells right and often has disastrous results.When she goes to visit her grandmother and finds her ill, Red has to go out into the woods to find ingredients to make her better. Her adventure teaches her about friendship and overcoming her fears.

Digital review copy from Edelweiss
Profile Image for Lesley Burnap.
452 reviews5 followers
March 13, 2016
For fans of fractured fairy tales! Took me a bit to get into this-probably my own mindset-but I loved the ending and all the threads that came together to make it very satisfying! Good messages about growing up & becoming who you are meant to be!
Profile Image for VGA.
18 reviews4 followers
November 19, 2016
You know when you check something out but you can't finish it before the due date? But it was a really good book, and I want to finish it! (I hate it when people request books so you can't renew them)
Profile Image for Christina Farley.
Author 6 books464 followers
October 23, 2016
Another amazing book by Liesl. Read this out loud to my boys and they loved it.
Profile Image for Kathy.
2,025 reviews30 followers
November 14, 2019
Interesting take on Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks
Profile Image for Annie Ice.
357 reviews37 followers
December 23, 2021
I really loved this one! I read this for Middle-Grade Madness, Fairy Tale readathon, and I enjoyed it! It was just such a sweet and beautiful retelling of Red Riding Hood, with a mix of Beauty and the Beast and even Snow White, cool. But of course, those stories weren't the same as in the original, they had some twists, and they're said to have taken place a long time ago. I found the focus on death, and not being afraid of yourself and your power very important and I really appreciated it! Also Red was such an interesting MC, including her hot temper and her grumpiness which she apparently took from her granny, lol. But Goldie was definitely my favorite, she had guts, was sweet, loving, and loyal, I mean she was also kind of annoying to Red at first but then she just grew on Red and they became inseparable... Also, it was Red's fault that she was annoyed by her, I mean she was being nice and kind from the beginning. I love friendships in books that actually develop, not just 'they're friends from childhood, bla bla bla. The twist in the huntsman, and the wolf was just perfect! I loved how it portrays empathy, and how people just judge people from their apearance, or in Red's case because they have magic and are witches. Yeah, forgot to mention. Red is a witch in this version, dope. Also, one important point was how humans are afraid to die and seek immortality, and the side effects of it, pretty important stuff. It was a short and very sweet read. I loved imagining myself in this beautiful and weird forest, also I loved that it isn't heavy on it, and it just comes naturally. I love fantasy books that can do that, not just force magic into it. So yeah, I highly recommend!
Profile Image for Jenny.
2,691 reviews25 followers
December 15, 2018
This was fun. I loved how some of the familiar elements of the original Little Red RIding Hood story are woven in...with a twist. For example, rather than finding a wolf in her Granny's bed...she finds her granny dressed up as a wolf to get rid of unwanted visitors. And her meeting of the actual Big, Bad Wolf.

Red's granny is sick, perhaps dying, so Red sets off to try to cure her Granny. Red has magical power like her granny, but as a young child she made some mistakes in her use of magic and is afraid to use magic again. But while she won't use her own magic, she has no qualms about trying to find a magical way to save her granny. Her search for a longer life for granny is filled with adventure and with interactions with a variety of fairy tale characters. This DOES depart quite a bit from the original stories. And it is a bit predictable. But it was a fun, quick read at a busy time of year.
Profile Image for Natalie.
2,758 reviews131 followers
October 3, 2020
I wanted to like this as much as I liked Rump but I just didn't. I was listening to the audio and I would find myself zoning out nearly every time I listened. It just wasn't engaging to me and I can't really tell you why.

I loved that it was about Red and Goldie and their friendship, and there were some fun twists on fairy tales. You'd think the whole thing would be right up my alley, but I did not find it engaging at all. Maybe it was the time, maybe it was the audio, I really don't know. I can't point to the one thing that made it nearly impossible for me to care.

Based on the reviews, a lot of people liked it, and I'm glad. I still gave it three stars, because while I didn't love it, there was nothing that made me hate it. That's why I kept listening. I just didn't care about it.
Profile Image for Ru.
16 reviews1 follower
January 9, 2023
I think the story was okay.

It didn’t hook me in like how the first two installments did. I did still enjoy it but not overtly so. I don’t know how to articulate it more than I could but I just found it a little less enticing.

The first part was meh. I wasn’t completely enrapt the middle parts started picking up and I thought wow this is it. Then at the end it was done a little too abruptly. A little too bland for the build-up it did.

The characters were a certain type of chaotic. The worked and didn’t work at the same time. It took what I knew about fairy tales and the characters on its head and I think that’s what Liesl has done so far.

I just couldn’t get into this one. Hopefully, I would form a better liking on the next.
Profile Image for Kimberly.
647 reviews6 followers
January 14, 2019
Red: The (Fairly) True Tale of Red Riding Hood by [Shurtliff, Liesl]I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Different versions of fairy tales intrigue me. This one has Red being fearless, unless there is magic involved. Now she has to turn to it to try to help her granny, who is ill.

She asks Goldie to help her. Goldie is blond and likes trying porridge. Together they go through the dwarves' caverns to come to a haunted well and a castle that belongs to a beast. Unbeknownst to them a wolf and a huntsman are on their heels.

I love this take on the story. I know my grandchildren would take to it right away. There are enough surprises to keep them reading to the end.

Profile Image for Loralee.
Author 13 books70 followers
March 19, 2017
This was a great take on the story of Red Riding Hood! I loved her friendships and relationships, and the fact that the story was about a strong girl who worked hard to achieve her goals. I appreciated her relationship with her grandmother, and found myself relating to it. Goldie was fun, and I appreciated seeing Rump and other characters mentioned. I also found myself liking Wolf, and was glad how things turned out for him. The writing style was refreshing and fun. Overall, I really loved this book. Kids and adults alike would enjoy it!
Profile Image for Loretta Marchize.
Author 6 books35 followers
March 4, 2018
I didn't read this book until the end, because I judged it by it's cover. I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover, but usually a cover is pretty telling. Still, I chose this book because the concept interested me. I've always loved fairy tale retellings.
Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised by this book and the way the author wove the original tales together. I can't say too much, don't want to spoil it, but I'm a hard person when it comes to fairy tales. I know the originals​ by heart, and I've read a hundred retellings, but this one was among the best.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 483 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.