Start by marking “Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood” as Want to Read:
Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood

Red: The True Story of Red Riding Hood

((Fairly) True Tales Series)

Red is not afraid of the big bad wolf. She’s not afraid of anything . . . except magic.
But when Red’s granny falls ill, it seems that only magic can save her, and fearless Red is forced to confront her one weakness.

With the help of a blond, porridge-sampling nuisance called Goldie, Red goes on a quest to cure Granny. Her journey takes her through dwarves’ caverns to a ha
Published April 12th 2016 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Red, please sign up.
Asteropê You borrow it from a library or a friend, or you buy it from a bookstore or online retailer such as Amazon, Kobo, etc. Goodreads isn't for free…moreYou borrow it from a library or a friend, or you buy it from a bookstore or online retailer such as Amazon, Kobo, etc. Goodreads isn't for free reading of books, it's to catalog, review and discuss books that have been read. (less)

Lola
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
My main problem with this book is that it’s not a fairy tale retelling of the Little Red Riding Hood. Oh, it is indeed a fairy tale of a sort, but not at all a retelling and barely inspired by Red’s story.

After having closed Liesl Shurtliff’s debut RUMP satisfied and genuinely happy, I was ready to read anything from this author. But this book is nothing like RUMP. Instead of focusing on one specific fairy tale, the author includes elements from the Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Goldilock
Katie W
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm always curious to see how an author can change a beloved classic and spin it in a new way, yet leaving the best, lovable parts intact. Ms. Shurtliff does a fantastic job in doing just that--weaving a familiar tale with unique twists that makes it new and fresh.

In a lot of re-tellings, Red almost seems like an oblivious, spoiled child, yet in this one, there is depth to the reasons why she does what she does and it makes sense. She's actually brave, fearful, charming, and brash, all rolled up
Linda
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I couldn’t help but think of the word “family reunion” as I read this new tale by Liesl Shurtliff. There are new things to learn about Red Riding Hood, but there also are reminders of her past adventures with Rump, good memories touched on. Red has inherited the strength of magic from her Granny, but early in the book we learn that Red stays away from it because of disasters that happened in her young life. Once she tried a small spell or two, which never worked, and one nearly became the end of ...more
Niki (Daydream Reader)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, fairy-tale
I loved Red! Great twists and turns to this story! Look for it in April of 2016!
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I liked this one more than her other book Rump. I would rate it a 3.5 stars. It was cute and had more going for it then I expected.

Review to come.
Cheryl
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Some children will love this. I probably would have, as a child. But it's just a wee bit superficial and I can't give it the full four stars.

I do like lots of the elements, for example Granny's table has her favorite recipes etched right into it (I considered that on our old table, in fact).

The Beauty and the Beast tale twist was especially interesting. Do not read this spoiler if you think you'll read the book. (view spoiler)
Michelle Simpson
Liesl Shurtliff has done it again! This book is fabulous! It tells the true story of Red Riding Hood, while taking readers on quite an adventure. As we go on a journey with Red, we find several other characters, places, and events that we know through familiar fairy tales. I felt a quick connection with Red, and was cheering her on very early in the book. Don't miss this one in the spring of 2016!

I received an ARC at the AASL Conference.
Nhi Nguyễn
Lần đầu tiên mình đọc câu chuyện về Cô bé quàng khăn đỏ có phép thuật đấy, và thực sự là rất hay. Red là tên của cô bé, đúng với màu chiếc áo choàng kỳ diệu mà cô bé luôn mặc trên người. Bà ngoại của Red, thú vị lắm nhé, chính là nàng Red Rose trong truyện cổ Grimm nổi tiếng “Bạch Tuyết và Hồng Hoa” (câu chuyện về hai chị em gái giải cứu một chàng hoàng tử khỏi lời nguyền lốt gấu do một tên thần lùn gây ra và giúp chàng đòi lại số châu báu bị thần lùn lấy cắp. Sau đó Bạch Tuyết lấy hoàng tử, còn ...more
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank Knopf Books for Young Readers for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give an honest review. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

I love a good fairy tale retelling. And I don't see many on the Middle Grade level. So when I was contacted about reviewing this book I jumped at the chance. I love the story of Red Riding Hood, though many of the versions we tend to see are quite a bit more fluffy than what was originally written.

Red i
Vi (like the letter)
I do love a retelling that’s entertaining and different than what you’re used to. Shurtliff defies much of what you’d expect from Red’s tale and turned it into a funny and thought-provoking story for young readers. Take what you thought you knew about Red and the big bad Wolf, add a bit of a magic to her Grandma as well, and you’ve got only a tip of this interesting tale. Red’s story not only includes her Granny and the Wolf, it also includes other well-known fairy-tale characters such as Goldil ...more
Michele Knott
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all of Liesl Shurtliff's "True Story" series that tell a little bit of a twist to a very familiar fairy tale. But I think Red may be my favorite. I loved the themes of friendship and destiny that were woven through the story.
Meredith
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don’t read a lot of Middle Grade. But the few I’ve read so far have been epic! And Red was no exception! I loved the mingling of fairy tales, as well as the world and the rules. I love twisted fairy tales and this book was the perfect combination of twisty and fun!

It takes a little while to warm up to Red. In the beginning, she’s a bit snippy, bossy and rude. But she was also fierce, brave and determined. I don’t know if it’s just because their stories stem from the same fairy tale or what, bu
Karissa
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was an incredibly well done continuation of the fairy tale retellings Shurtliff has been writing. Shurtliff also wrote Jack (which I enjoyed) and Rump (which I absolutely loved). This is the third book in her series of fairy tale retellings; it can be read stand alone but also starts off where Rump left off. There are some characters that are in all three books and some that are new.

Red isn’t afraid of the Deep Dark Woods or the Big Bad Wolf; however she is afraid of her own magic. When Gra
Barbara
Although Red is close to her beloved grandmother, she doesn't seem to have her talent for casting spells and spinning magic. In fact, every time Red tries her hand at magic, things go very wrong. But with Granny ailing and her parents away, she must find a way to save her grandmother. Her journey takes her deep into the woods where she meets up with a most annoying Goldilocks and a wolf that is determined to be her friend. She also is tricked by a dwarf and meets Beast who has lost her beauty be ...more
Elevetha
**An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

A fun hodgepodge of fairytales, focusing on Little Red Riding Hood, obviously, but with appearances from Beast, the Huntsman, Goldielocks, and more! What I specially liked is how my expectations of these well-known and often loved fairytale characters were turned on their head - I do love a good twist!

Full review to come closer to publication.
Donna
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Out of the three so far in the series, I liked this one the best. Enjoyed the way Shurtliff weaved other fairytale characters into Red's story.
Red has magic, but is afraid of it. She can never get the spells right and often has disastrous results.When she goes to visit her grandmother and finds her ill, Red has to go out into the woods to find ingredients to make her better. Her adventure teaches her about friendship and overcoming her fears.

Digital review copy from Edelweiss
Lesley Burnap
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
For fans of fractured fairy tales! Took me a bit to get into this-probably my own mindset-but I loved the ending and all the threads that came together to make it very satisfying! Good messages about growing up & becoming who you are meant to be!
VGA
Nov 19, 2016 added it
You know when you check something out but you can't finish it before the due date? But it was a really good book, and I want to finish it! (I hate it when people request books so you can't renew them)
Christina Farley
Another amazing book by Liesl. Read this out loud to my boys and they loved it.
Jenny
This was fun. I loved how some of the familiar elements of the original Little Red RIding Hood story are woven in...with a twist. For example, rather than finding a wolf in her Granny's bed...she finds her granny dressed up as a wolf to get rid of unwanted visitors. And her meeting of the actual Big, Bad Wolf.

Red's granny is sick, perhaps dying, so Red sets off to try to cure her Granny. Red has magical power like her granny, but as a young child she made some mistakes in her use of magic and i
Reading is my Escape
Audience: Upper Elementary/Middle School

The first time I tried my hand at magic, I grew roses out of my nose.
- First sentence

Red's granny is sick (maybe dying) and she is determined to find a way to save her. She sets off on an adventure that brings understanding, knowledge, fear, excitement and even unexpected friendships.

Other books in this series include Rump, Jack, and Grump. They all come from the same world, but see it from different perspectives.

I thoroughly enjoyed this series so far. I
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Red: The (Fairly) True Tale of Red Riding Hood by [Shurtliff, Liesl]I was given this book by NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Different versions of fairy tales intrigue me. This one has Red being fearless, unless there is magic involved. Now she has to turn to it to try to help her granny, who is ill.

She asks Goldie to help her. Goldie is blond and likes trying porridge. Together they go through the dwarves' caverns to come to a haunted well and a castle that belongs to a beast. Unbek
Loretta Marchize
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I didn't read this book until the end, because I judged it by it's cover. I know they say to never judge a book by it's cover, but usually a cover is pretty telling. Still, I chose this book because the concept interested me. I've always loved fairy tale retellings.
Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised by this book and the way the author wove the original tales together. I can't say too much, don't want to spoil it, but I'm a hard person when it comes to fairy tales. I know the originals
Loralee
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great take on the story of Red Riding Hood! I loved her friendships and relationships, and the fact that the story was about a strong girl who worked hard to achieve her goals. I appreciated her relationship with her grandmother, and found myself relating to it. Goldie was fun, and I appreciated seeing Rump and other characters mentioned. I also found myself liking Wolf, and was glad how things turned out for him. The writing style was refreshing and fun. Overall, I really loved this ...more
George
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plenty of actual reviews, so just one sentence's worth from me: I very much liked the mash-up, even though it twisted the subtitle well past truth.

What I knocked a star off for, from my usual 5 stars for adequately hitting the target, was the full page or so of didactic summary at the very end that might have passed muster in the Victorian age, but is simply too much in the early 21st.
Lynda
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my fourth grade students told me this was a good book and the library aide told me it was very popular with the students. I loved it! It was exciting, sweet, and had wonderful themes. The writing was beautiful also.
Stormy Summer
I haven't talked to lewis, and Philip and then in a while. Please tell me your online and wanna talk!
Sand-Witch
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It is full of fun and it never gets boring. The story moves quick and it's pretty unpredictable. It made me laugh out loud at some parts. It's really good
Debbie Ohi
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully fresh twist on a fairy tale classic. Love how other fairy tales are interwoven throughout and especially loved how the friendship between Red and Goldie develops.
Carolanne
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Red" is my favorite so far. I love the humor, twists and turns along with ties into other fairy tales. Red has to accept, not be defined by, her fear that Granny will not live forever - something we all have to deal with. A very enjoyable read!
  • A Clatter of Jars (A Tangle of Knots, #2)
  • The Cat, the Dog, Little Red, the Exploding Eggs, the Wolf, and Grandma
  • La Princesa and the Pea
  • Rapunzel
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • Nightingale's Nest
  • Of Mice and Magic (Hamster Princess, #2)
  • Carmine: A Little More Red
  • Ivy and the Meanstalk
  • The Peddler's Road (The Secrets of the Pied Piper, #1)
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • The Wild Swans
  • The Flight of Swans
  • Diary of a Mad Brownie
  • Mighty Jack (Mighty Jack, #1)
  • Little Red Hot
  • Milo Speck, Accidental Agent
  • The Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes, #2)
Liesl Shurtliff is a New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of books for young readers. Her latest book is the first in a new time-travel adventure trilogy, TIME CASTAWAYS: The Mona Lisa Key from KatherineTegen/HarperCollins. Other books include RUMP, JACK, RED, and GRUMP, all part of the (Fairly) True Tales series from Knopf/Random House.

Liesl was born and raised in Salt Lake City,

(Fairly) True Tales Series (4 books)
  • Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin
  • Jack: The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk
  • Grump: The (Fairly) True Tale of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
“Life is like a story. It doesn't mean anything if it doesn't end.” 5 likes
“Funny, that we always told stories with wolves and beasts and demons as villains, but in real life it seemed the humans were always the worst enemies. You could be your own villain.” 5 likes