Start by marking “The Incident on the Bridge” as Want to Read:
The Incident on the Bridge

The Incident on the Bridge

The last anyone saw of Thisbe Locke, she was standing by a car on the side of the bridge.

She’d been depressed since she stopped seeing Clay, who humiliated her in front of everyone at his party. But would Thisbe really jump because of that?

Her sister swears she wouldn’t.

The police know that grief-stricken families always hope for a diffe
Published April 26th 2016 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Incident on the Bridge, please sign up.
Sarah no, some doubt/depression, but no suicide.

Sherri
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The book opens with everyone knowing that Thisbe was last seen on the long bridge that divides their home town. Everyone thinks she was so depressed from recent events that she chose to kill herself by jumping from the bridge. Yet…her younger sister Ted refused to believe that Thisbe would kill herself and sets out to prove the whole town wrong.

Despite the interesting premise, this will be a tough book for teens to get through the first half of because it moves at a glacier’s pace an
Charly
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Fast moving and entertaining suspense piece that was entertaining and kept you going for more. Lots of character development in a relatively short time.

Will be looking to visit with Laura McNeal again.
Angie Cain
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good
Maci
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was initially interested in this book because it was a mystery and the plot seemed interesting. However, when I was faced with 6 (estimating, could've been 5) different POVs, it started to get less interesting and more confusing. I thought that it would be more centered on her disappearance, but it felt thrown together, as the different POVs were indirectly connected and some of them just included flashbacks of Thisbe's life. Half of the book was her life before, and then the second half was a ...more
Sarah Owen
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
I had so much hope for the book but was really disappointed. the author tried (and failed) to examine the incident from a variety of views and some were completely useless and never resolved- like the police officer who was watching on the camera. completely useless except she ended up meeting the cab driver. the rest was filled with incredibly blatant attempts at foreshadowing. I mean how any times are you going to mention the pink boots then the pink boots being lost then omg the pink boots. I ...more
Trisha
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this one but I could never really get into it. I'm not sure if the small chapters and few words would draw me in but it left me guessing the outcome early on and feeling frustrated the pages were taking so long to end.
Kristin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not really sure what to say about this one. After reading almost half the book, I put it down. Within a few chapters, you already know what the "incident" was. And it was nothing mysterious or jaw-dropping. Besides the "incident," much of the book is little more than a random teen fiction filled with language, drug references, sexual references, sporty cars, attractions, and relationship issues.
Hannah O'Rourke
Thisbe is not a popular girl, but her sister is. Her sister is only fourteen while Thisbe is standing at 16 and her sister gets hit on by all the upperclassman. One day Thisbe's family was out of the house for a game and when Thisbe woke up she heard a knock. When she opened up the door she saw a fortune cookie with a fortune in it thinking it was a promposal for her sister which I thought was pretty sad because Thisbe should get some attention too. No one was around so she didn't know who the c ...more
Shannon Fay
Nov 23, 2018 marked it as dnf-graveyard
Shelves: nicoles-library
This book was sitting out, because I was going to unhaul it, until my sister informed me that i was actually HER book. Anyway, since it was lying about, I decided to pick it up and glance over the first few pages. Then I found myself reading on, and exactly 47 pages into it, I decided that it wasn't for me and that while I did want to know the end result of this mystery, I didn't care enough to read the whole book, but just enough to read a few random pages throughout the book, and then the very ...more
Sophia Lin
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book took me forever to read because it was boring and confusing, I thought the plot would get better in the end but it didn't and it ended really confusingly and abruptly, it seemed like the author could have wrote another twenty pages but she didn't.
Bec
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The story was okay. The backstory to the crime was good.

But I found the switching of POV a bit of a headache. I'll note here that I did read this as an audiobook - whether that took away from the story I'm not sure. But I was confused in the beginning of the book, kinda got it by halfway through but by then I wasn't invested in the story. And at the end I felt like summing up ALL the characters was tedious and I just didn't really care.

It was a fine story to pass the time, the writi
Stuti T
DNF. I can't read anymore because I find absolutely no satisfaction in a mystery that a) I pretty much know everything about already (undoubtedly some plot twists will appear in the middle, but I already know what happened to Thisbe), and b) there are about a dozen POVs and I cannot focus on the story when I'm reading short chapters about random people. Books are supposed to make me care, and this one failed to.
Franklin
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderfully written book. Told from many points of view the story allows the reader to see all the effects of a suicide. The speculation and the grief of things left unsaid by those around Thisbe, but it's not always what you think.

Molly Albert
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to pick up a Laura McNeal title for a while now and was very excited to see an advanced reader's copy of her latest story! I enjoyed *The Incident on the Bridge* from start to finish. If you love suspense, action, and unique character names, this is a must read!
Rebecca Graham
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a YA author I've encountered but enjoyed this immensely. I was fortunate to pick up a preview copy at mid-winter ALA in Boston and happy to have done so.
Anna
May 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This is one of the books that you really have to be in the mood for -- intriguing when you are, and when you're not, it's not.
Amelia-Marie
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a good middle school level read. There's no mystery in the storyline though. Being from Coronado it was great to read and be able to imagine the setting.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
McNeal, Laura The Incident on the Bridge, 326 pages. Knopf Books for Young Readers, 2016. $17.99. Language: R (17 swears, 4 ‘f’); Mature Content: PG-13 (underage drinking, sexual discussions, mention of suicide and depression, effects of grief, mental illness) Violence: PG-13 (Kidnapping)

Thisbe Locke had her heart broken by Clay at the party three days ago, so when she disappears without a trace on a bridge known for its plethora of suicides, everyone assumes she jumped. Her sister however, has
Katie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a First Reads Review. I admit that I have been a little behind on these so I apologize.

This book is similar to many books I have read in the YA genre. A girl mysteriously disappears and questions remain as to what happened. Did she commit suicide? The police say yes but her family says no. The answer to this question is revealed surprisingly early in the book, which I guess creates dramatic irony, but the result is also a disappointing lack of suspense. I have read other book
Raven R. (AvalonReadsBooks)
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! I'm pleasantly surprised by this book. I read a bunch of reviews and thought I'd hate it, but it actually got me early on. I will agree that the a million and one point of views got a little confusing at times, but I got over it as I learned new important things about what was going on. I like the romance played a big part in this, failed romance at first, the missed-connections crush going on between Jerome and Thisbe, and that romance was hinted at between Ted and Fen but that wasn't thei ...more
Jesi
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Oof. Actual rating 1.5 stars. I struggled so hard to get through this book. I tried to trudge through the beginning with hopes that it would improve, but no luck there. The premise is intriguing; a girl who may have jumped to her death, but no body is found to confirm the fatality. However, the novel fell very very short. Between many counts of passive racism, too many narrators that aren't fleshed out enough to give you any real attachment to them, unnecessary descriptions, and an incredibly ru ...more
Nancy
When seventeen-year-old Thisbe’s car is found abandoned on the bridge, a witness reports seeing her standing near the guardrail. Everyone assumes that she committed suicide. There is no doubt that after Clay, a popular boy at her school, seduced and then dismissed her, Thisbe changed from a serious student to a lost party girl. But was that enough to prompt her to jump? What if she didn’t? Only her younger sister is adamant that Thisbe, who was afraid of heights and water, must still be alive so ...more
Wisteriouswoman
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I wish I'd read the reviews first!
I kept hoping it would get better but the end was so blah. Not a good way to describe a mystery. I was totally confused about the different characters story --glad they all had weird names to help keep them apart.
It never felt like an emotional book considering the subject matter. Is this author a mother? I doubt it by the way she describes Thisbe's mother. Somehow the author tries to weave an interesting tale but never figures out how to tie all th
Mrs. Schonour
This book wasn't terrible, but it could have been a lot shorter. I was a little confused at first by all of the characters because each chapter is narrated by a different character. There are so many that it got hard to follow, especially listening to the audiobook. I'm not sure they were all useful and some seemed like filler characters who had no real role. There were points in the book that I wanted things to move along much faster, but it's an interesting plot and I kept reading to see how i ...more
Georgianne Georgiadis
Oct 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I really tried to get interested in this book but I could not. There were too many character that the author was writing, six different characters, with different stories and different points of view made it so hard. I found myself losing interest on chapter 6 on the first night . I tried again on the second night but could not get past chapter 10.
Alyssa Book
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
All the different point of views made it difficult to follow. I also feel these book seemed to build up to what you would think would be an exciting ending only to be left unsatisfied. I only gave it three stars since it was an interesting storyline.
Jamie
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the beginning this book was very confusing with all the different characters and their point of views. The further you get into the book the easier it is to remember who the characters are. I did enjoy this book.
Christina
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Meh. It was ok just didn't keep my attention very well.
Lauren
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 ...just not impressed. Too many characters/POVs to become invested in any of them. Also, I didn't enjoy the ending post "incident" resolution. it felt too tidy and wish-fulfilment-y.
Donna
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good mystery, glad sister had the sense to look further.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Break Me Like a Promise (Once Upon a Crime Family, #2)
  • Road Rash
  • The Secret Ingredient
  • The Language of Stars
  • Local Girl Swept Away
  • Character, Driven
  • Watched
  • The Whole Story of Half a Girl
  • Scowler
  • Daughter of the Centaurs (Centauriad, #1)
  • The Breathless
  • A Season for Fireflies
  • Stone Rider
  • Essential Maps for the Lost
  • Pieces of Me
  • Surrounded By Sharks
  • If You're Lucky
  • 10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts
Writer of things for and about the naively hopeful