Start by marking “The Falling of the Moon (Moonfall Mayhem, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Falling of the Moon (Moonfall Mayhem, #1)

Read Book

The Falling of the Moon

(Moonfall Mayhem #1)

4.41  ·  Rating details ·  44 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
If Ascot wants a Happy Ending, she'll have to write it herself.

In the gloomy mountains of Shadowvale, Ascot Abberdorf is expected to marry a lugubrious Count and settle down to a quiet life terrorizing the villagers. Instead, armed with a book of fairy tales, her faithful bat-winged cat, and whatever silverware she can pinch, Ascot heads east, to the mysterious Daylands, w
Published October 27th 2015 by World Weaver Press

To ask other readers questions about The Falling of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Falling of the Moon

Kat Mandu
Kat Mandu says...

Fans of the quirky, come hither, because Ascot’s story is just for you.

Half-vampire Ascot Abberforth is determined to find her Happy Ending. Armed with kindness, a group of strange but loyal friends, and a book she feels will lead her to become the prince’s future queen, she leaves her dark homeland and enters Albright to win Parvanel’s heart.

Instead she finds a competition of wannabe princesses who will do anything to make sure she doesn’t win, a queen with bad history of happy
Cindy Marie Jenkins
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-folk-myth
Vampires, fairy tale balls, ghosts....every time I thought I had a handle on the world that Decker created, she took another twist. With Ascot as an unlikely heroine, the reader goes on a journey that uproots all convention. This story-line sort of reminds you of one fairy tale, this one another; then you realize there are layers upon layers of commentary and thwarting of fairy tales we think we know. Since it's the first book in the Moonfall Mayhem series, sometimes knowledge is given for the l ...more
Christopher Ochs
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Angela Defeo
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The falling of the Moon is a fairy tale unlike any fairy tale I have read or heard before! There are lots of twists & turns that draw you in and have you rooting for Ascot.The female lead is strong and determined with loyal friends who support her in every trial she faces.

The Falling Moon is not the normal style of fantasy book I read BUT this book caught my interest from the start and it kept my interest to the very end. The author kept me wanting to read the next chapter to see what happen
Krista
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
When I purchased this book the seller, who just so happened to be one of the owners of the small press that had published it, told me it the main character in the story reminded her of Wednesday Addams from the Addams Family. She said the story was "as if Wednesay Addams had decided to go chasing fairytales". This is an apt description. The Falling of the Moon is all about Ascot, who hails from the land of Shadowvale, and has decided to seek her Happily Ever After in the Daylands.

Ascot is joine
Susan Sullivan
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and zoomed through it; I just couldn't put it down! It's not quite like anything I've ever read before. The closest would be the movie SHREK, but even that comparison doesn't do it justice. I'd say it's like Shrek meets The Wizard of Oz if Dorothy were Wednesday Addams and Toto a talking cat with bat wings. Fun and funny with many laugh-out-loud moments. Can't wait for the next book in the series!
Mike
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book, along with the two sequels, from Netgalley for purposes of review.

A fun story which both celebrates and undermines the fairy-tale genre, with a half-human, half-do-not-say-vampire-we-don't-use-the-V-word going out from Shadowvale, where her people live, into the wider world to live her own life. Equipped with a book of fairy tales, she finds that real life is a bit more complicated-and, indeed, the plot has an impressive number of twists. In all three books, I fo
Audrey
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! Inspired by fairy tales and happily ever afters, it has everything from garment mending rodents, to balls and tasks to price your worth to win over the prince. It's a twist though. Bringing a new experience to the fairy tale genre.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fairy tales and fantasy.
Jantine Kampes
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book, I already fell in love with the dedication - it was dedicated to Sir Terry Pratchett. This book somehow manages to get up to his style. It is funny and wary of the way things should be 'because they have always been that way'. I loved it.

I received a free copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Teresa Drelick
This was amazing! I had so much fun reading it and finding the reference to fairy tales that we've all drown up with. If you like fairytales, if you like fantasy, if you like your world turned a little inside out then you will thoroughly enjoy this tale.
Karen Lacey
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Keeps you turning pages and guessing what will happen next. The characters are addictive, and the plot twists plus imaginative settings make this a book to get lost it. I'm looking forward to the author's next books.
Ellwyn Autumn
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun fairy tale with characters that are sure to delight!
Brett'swife
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed it. I loved the humor and the characters with all their quirky flaws. A fun read.
iamnotabookworm
I think this should have been appropriately titled The Misadventures of Ascot Abberdorf.

I got an eARC from A. E. Decker of The Meddlers of Moonshine, which is book two. I told myself I need to read book one first. Here it goes.

This is a fairy tale adventure or misadventure like no other. This is like a combination of all fairy tale stories you can think of and put it into one story where the center of everything is a vampire who only eats rats. Ascot is willing to go to whatever lengths to be ab
Ron
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Clever, witty, whimsical, and brilliantly written, this series should appeal to fans of Terry Pratchett, Christopher Moore, and Piers Anthony's Xanth.
Hollie
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you love quirky and fun fantasy like Princess Bride and my Lady Jane then look no further because The Falling of the Moon by A.E. Decker is a quirky fun fairy-tale, and an absolute must read.

This was definitely a high fantasy fairy-tale. The Falling of the Moon is reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz, meets Shrek, meets The Adams Family, meets The Princess Bride, meets Pirates of the Caribbean. The main character Ascot is a half vampire that runs away from home to find herself a happy ending, and
Lissa Sloan
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales
When her brother demands that she marry an umbrella-loving weirdo, Ascot Abberdorf leaves her family castle. With nothing but her winged cat, a little of the family silver, and a book of fairy tales, she sets out on a quest to find her own happily ever after. According to the book, this means marrying her true love, who of course must be a prince, so Ascot applies at the nearest castle and gets to work.

Along the way, Ascot collects an assortment of loyal friends reminiscent of Dorothy's in the
Judith Mehl
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ascot, a delightful and surprising adventurer seeking her own true love travels with an entourage of preposterously bizarre misfits to the Kingdom of Albright. In the end she finds something else entirely, something of much more value, but oh, along the way we have such fun. A. E. Decker builds words into super-colossal mountains of entertainment, where the chapter titles alone are worth the price of the book. (Of course, you must read the chapter to catch the jest) Her stupendous ability to ent ...more
Annette
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Falling of the Moon was recommended to me by a friend and since I had taken a reading challenge that included reading a young adult novel I thought I would give it a try. It was a delight. Ascots starts out on a journey to find her true love and along a very harrowing and humorous way, aided by a troupe of unique accomplices, she finds her true self. The book has a lot of fairy tale elements that have fun twists, but mostly, and what I find most appealing, are the great characters that I roo ...more
Girl Plus Book
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Falling of the Moon is a fantasy fairytale like nothing I have read before. Mystery and secrets take you to a fantastic mystical world sure to have a book two. It is pirates of the Caribbean meets Cinderella. Looking forward to Ascot’s next adventure. Strong and determined with her loyal friends she will certainly make the Moonfall Mayhem a great series of books. I am ecstatic that this is just the start to what will be a truly great trilogy. http://girlplusbook.com/ya/scififant/...
Anita Rios-Sherman
Do you like fairy tales that wrap around each other you will like this book? This book follows young Ascot after the death of her father. She is an unlikely heroine, but you will love her. The cast of characters include vampires, ghosts, and an aunt with a big dress.
I don't want to give away too much of the book. Usually I read memoirs, or crime novels. I wanted to read something different so I was able to snag this up as an eARC on Library Thing. I am glad I tried and now on to book 2.
Bentgaidin
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
On the recommendation of my friend, I read 'Falling of the Moon'. Lots of fun; I'd highly recommend it for fairy-tale fans. It reminds me a lot of T. Kingfisher's stories, actually; the heroine isn't quite as rock-solid sensible, but she's got a kind heart, and the story itself is very aware of how the world works around the glittery charm of the fairy-tale.
Christine
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ascot Abberdorf is a great heroine, and this is a fantastic fairytale full of engaging characters. I'm glad there are more books coming in this series because I can't wait to see where Ascot ends up next!
Sarena Ulibarri
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A.E. Decker is the kind of writer who is incredibly skilled at backing her characters into seemingly impossible situations, then getting them out through creative and unexpected means. THE FALLING OF THE MOON is a delightful twist on familiar fairy tale tropes.
Caroline
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
what a wonderful story i would give more stars if i could
Tess
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It reads like a fairy tale with fun twists.
Eileen
Oct 28, 2016
Laura Harvey
Sep 04, 2015
  • The Devil in Midwinter
  • Heir to the Lamp (Genie Chronicles #1)
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Secrets Beyond the Door: The Story of Bluebeard and His Wives
  • The Cinderella Curse
  • Illumination
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • The Abandoned Edge of Avalon
  • Jim Henson's Labyrinth: The Novelization
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • The Rose of Shanhasson (Blood and Shadows, #1)
  • Dragons of War (Bazil Broketail, #3)
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Opal
  • Enchanted Pilgrimage
  • Memory of Fire (The World Gates, #1)
  • Fae (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
  • The Tower of Fear
A. E. Decker was born in Pennsylvania, but has lived in California, Virginia, and New Jersey before returning to her native state. She holds degrees in English and Colonial American history, and has worked as a tai chi instructor, framer, doll-maker, and ESL tutor.

In addition to the Moonfall Mayhem series published by World Weaver Press, her stories have appeared in Fireside Magazine, Beneath Ceas

Moonfall Mayhem (3 books)
  • The Meddlers of Moonshine