Start by marking “The Haunting of Gillespie House” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Gillespie House

The Haunting of Gillespie House

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  2,423 Ratings  ·  280 Reviews
Elle can't believe her luck; she's spending a month house-sitting the beautiful Gillespie property. Hidden near the edge of the woods and an hour's drive from the nearest town, its dark rooms and rich furniture entice her to explore its secrets. There's even a graveyard hidden behind the house, filled with tombstones that bear an identical year of death.

If only the scratch
Published August 15th 2015 by Candlebreak (first published July 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Gillespie House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunting of Gillespie House

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I love the creepy cover of this book with that old house! I enjoyed this ghost story and it actually had a happy ending :)

Elle was so happy that she was going to get to watch the Gillespie House while Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie went out of town for a bit. She wandered through all of the rooms and found some really nice antique furniture in the upstairs rooms that no one ever went into for some reason.

She found an old cemetery that had mostly Gillespie relatives
Cindy Newton
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I am an enthusiastic fan of all things horror, but I have a special place in my heart for the haunted house. There's nothing quite like a good haunted house tale. I don't know why that particular genre is so attractive to me. Maybe it's because your house is supposed to be your refuge, the place you go to escape all the rest of the bad things in the world. The thought of it actually being the source for the most horrific things in your world is truly terrifying.

I thought this had some truly cre
Jillian Giusti
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a super quick read it was not really scared but the end was not what I expected so that was a surprise . If you like short little quick read ghost stories this book is for u . It has a bonus short story at the end about and old house that was an orphanage The author talks about the book bring based off the short story at the end but I almost think the orphanage story would've made a better ghost story. I enjoyed it anyways so give it a go if this is ur thing.
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
I tried but this is simply bad. The technical writing part is okay. It's just the story itself. There really isn't a story here. Everything is so forced and artificial to the point where you simply can't invest anymore. There is a lot of disbelief you have to suspend when it's horror AND more when it's ghostly in nature. This book managed to totally overflow even that huuuge lake of suspended disbelief.

Nothing the MC does is reasonable in any way. It's so bad that it throws you out of the story.
Neilie J
Sep 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wow, this started out as a collection of cliches and ended as an exercise in bad writing. Yes, that's harsh, but really - the heroine in this does so many inexplicable things, it's ridiculous. She has no reason to be invested in the house or its story, and she seems to ignore common sense and even simple self-preservation with every action. This reads like a rough draft of a rough draft.
Kimberly
THE HAUNTING OF GILLESPIE HOUSE, by Darcy Coates started out instantly grabbing my attention. The atmosphere of the old Gillespie Mansion that Ellie is "house-sitting" for the owners is a gothic-style dream. As the temporary caretaker explores the once glamorous building, she uncovers rooms full of beautiful, old-fashioned furniture--contrasting vastly to the efficient "modern" day furnishings--a library that seems out of proportion somehow, and even a graveyard in the back woods.

The little thin
November Is Nyarlathotep
Darcy Coates is one scary author, and her newest, THE HAUNTING OF GILLESPIE HOUSE, is one SCARY story. I love supernatural fiction and nonfiction above all else, but nearly as much, I love the revelation of monstrousness in human form. THE HAUNTING OF GILLESPIE HOUSE starts with human monstrosity, horrible acts perpetrated by an evil individual, and builds until supernatural evil, an all-encompassing darkness, kicks in and takes over, in an unstoppable, aggressive, INTENTIONAL, fashion. So wheth ...more
Daniela
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good story, nothing that's gonna "wow" you but it's solid. It seems to me that it's more of an adventure story than actual horror, but that's not a bad thing, just not what I was expecting. However, Darcy Coates has a way with words and character development that makes everything more "real" and relatable, so I found myself enjoying this book a lot.
Glen Krisch
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Potentially interesting, but ultimately rather boring.
Laura Thomas
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy a good haunted house story.

Elle needs to get away from things for a bit. She grabs the opportunity to house sit for a month at the Gillespie’s house. It’s more of an estate with the large forests and somewhat neglected mansion.

First things first, Elle explores the house, finding rooms filled with beautiful antiques. Then she walks the grounds, surrounded by heavy brush and trees, stumbling onto a graveyard filled with crumbling tombstones. Something peculiar catches her eye. All of th
Kelly B
This fast and entertaining book is about a young woman named Elle, who is hired to house sit a huge, gothic mansion in the country. Very little is revealed about Elle's life, which I preferred because I was in the mood of a haunted house story, and this book jumps right in to the action.

There were a few scenes that creeped me out, and I enjoyed the descriptions of the house and grounds.
✰☽♥✰  Unsolved Mystery ✰♥☾✰

I really enjoyed the intense setting in this book.

Elle is house-sitting for a couple for one month. The Gillespie house sits all alone in a rural area of the town.
Elle is all alone in this huge mansion. Is she really....alone?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Towards the end, the story line became confusing. I was really hoping to enjoy this more.
Abbie
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
An okay read, but I'm glad it was only short.
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
May 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dnf, I just can't do this anymore. Amateur writing style. Poorly executed.
Boundless Book Reviews
Honestly, I had never heard of this author and happened to stumble upon her books while browsing on Kindle Unlimited. A few kept popping up so I decided to grab them. I love grabbing books on impulse and I was very surprised that it was so good, some do not measure up.

The Haunting Of Gillespie House starts when Elle, a young woman, is asked to housesit while the house's owners are out of town. She sees this as an adventure. Soon the house begins to come alive and the story that presents itself
F.R.
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
“Young woman finds herself alone in large haunted house” is one of those stories which feels like it’s always been part of humanity. The kind of tale which has probably existed since we first had houses, or maybe even since we first had people. It’s a story that’s been told a million times before and will be told a million times again. Indeed even as I type this review, I am almost one-hundred percent sure that there’s someone else in the world typing – or at least telling – their own version of ...more
Kelly
If I could give this book a negative score, I totally would. There is not one feature of this book that is even remotely interesting. The plot = been done, the characters = boring and more than slightly annoying, the pace = molasses, the "twist" = non-existent.

Trust me, friends, you want to skip this one.
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
I simply loved reading this book. Well weaved plot with supernatural elements that gave me goosebumps. I look forward to reading more of her books.

{I borrowed a copy via Prime Reading.}
Kitkat
Apr 19, 2018 added it
DNF
Bethea Creed
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book started out great. I was drawn in immediately. I love ghost books and hauntings. Bits were somewhat cliche- but I feel like, in the end, it really was a let down.

It had the makings of an AWESOME book. So much POTENTIAL. Then the author just sort of rushed everything and the ending was wrapped up in such a nice, pretty little bow that it kind of ruined the feeling of the rest of the book.

There was so much to explore. Cut scenes to the spirit who is haunting the house were good- and the
Vanessa Samuel
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5* Reminded me of Goosebumps, so a winner in my books.
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
a truly great story, I loved the psychological terror on the book, all horror books should be like that, it gave you hints and the mystery unfolded piece by piece truly amazing really if you ask me.

the end is a happy one, but all the thriller before that captivated me hard, it was pretty thrilling and I liked Elle a lot.

everyone that likes horror should read Darcy Coates, she does an amazing job with them really, you will never be disappointed.
The Badger
Jul 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Absolute waste of time.
Eve
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mystery > Ghosts & Haunted Houses

Mysterious old house, hidden passages, history of deceit and murder...The Haunting of Gillespie House

This story was creepy, heart pounding, had good plot and good ending.
I found myself saying "Girl, are you crazy?" more often that usual because I don't think I'd had been brave enough. But its really good to get nosy and bad-ass heroine who isn't running away but go straight into the scary events and save the day.
This was my third book by Darcy Coates and
sierra parman
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read

I like that there is a cemetery in this story, as well as a short story in the back that inspired this book. I don't usually read haunted house novels but found i enjoyed this one.
Sarah Peterman
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is probably my favorite Darcy Coates so far.
Dancebeneaththestars
3.5 - review to come...
Cynthia
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
This is a tough one. The writing itself isn’t bad, and it seems like the author had a pretty good idea for the story. The execution of the story itself felt rushed and underdeveloped. I was simultaneously drawn into the story by the intriguing concepts and characters, and pulled out by all the unbelievable behavior. The main character (really the only character) is Elle, who is so undeveloped that I think the only thing we know about her is her name. The story is told in the first person, and in ...more
Kylie Westaway
Aug 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wow - you do not want this girl housesitting for you. There was a lot that bothered me about this book, but mostly it just felt like the author had a whole lot of ideas but no story to string them together. The result was that the protagonist did a whole lot of things with absolutely no reason and constantly jumped to conclusions because 'she just felt it and knew it was right'.
The main character is asked to house sit for a couple who are going on a month-long retreat. On her first day she explo
Christin
3 1/2 stars.
  • The Claiming
  • Sing Me To Sleep
  • The Picture Frame: A Horror Novel
  • House of Shadows (House of Shadows #1)
  • Hologram: A Haunting
  • Apparition Lake
  • The Spellbound Spirit (The Curious Collectibles #2)
  • The Sharecropper Prodigy
  • The Hauntings of Cold Creek Hollow
  • An Earl Like No Other
  • The Haunted
  • A most haunted house
  • Chicago's Headmistress
  • My Mr. Rochester (Jane Eyre Retold, #1)
  • Gold Rush Brides: Emmy
  • The Bell Witch
  • Bride of the Wild
  • The Bride Price (An African Romance, #1)
Darcy is the USA Today Bestselling author of Hunted, The Haunting of Ashburn House, Craven Manor, and more than a dozen horror and suspense titles.

She lives on the Central Coast of Australia with her family, cats, and a garden full of herbs and vegetables.

Darcy loves forests, especially old-growth forests where the trees dwarf anyone who steps between them. Wherever she lives, she tries to have a
“You may rule the world by day, but the creatures of the night demand their privacy.” 5 likes
“What the hell's wrong with this house?” I asked it. “Locked rooms, and now rooms without doors at all?” I made to turn” 0 likes