Start by marking “The Hating Game” as Want to Read:

Nemesis (n.)
1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome;
2) A person’s undoing;
3) Joshua Templeman.
Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman hate each other. Not dislike. Not begrudgingly tolerate. Hate. And they have no problem displaying their feelings through a series of ritualistic passive aggressive maneuvers as they sit across from each other, executive as
Published August 9th 2016 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Hating Game, please sign up.
Farjana Why does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm…moreWhy does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm just curious as to why a city is important than the concept or story of this novel ??(less)
Azzah Hayat Yes, she is. It's called The Comfort Zone and it comes out some time next summer. :)

·  66,506 ratings  ·  11,218 reviews

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 12/30/18: I had a mighty need to re-read this so it would be my last read of the year and I clearly have no regrets. I've read this book so many times now I could probably recite all the swooniest bits from memory lmao. I still love Lucy & Josh 4ev@

Re-read 9/27/18: Welp arcs of 99 Percent Mine dropped on Edelweiss so I HAD to re-read this and hi hello I still love these two jerks so damn much wow. I’m a puddle.

Re-read 3/27/18: Do you ever just love a book so much you read it SIX TIM
✦❋Arianna✦❋
5 Stars!!

description

I honestly think 'The Hating Game”' is that kind of book anyone would enjoy – wonderfully written is a very entertaining way, griping from the very beginning and perfect if you love enemies to lovers stories. I’ve read many books with this trope, so trust me when I say Sally Thorne’s debut novel was a great one. More than great actually. It was fabulous! It was fan, entertaining and so refreshing. Needless to say, I devoured this little gem from start to finish.

“I'm twenty-eight year
Wendy Darling
This is somehow a magical blend of adult Sarra Manning + Sarah Mayberry + Jennifer Crusie. It's funny and sharp and serious, with seething workplace rivalry and career drama coupled with crazy great chemistry and delicious banter. It also has unbelievably sweet and tender moments (view spoiler), though you'll easily laugh a minute after that! It captures that weird obsessive behavior you can't help when you first fall in love, ...more
Warda
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread x3. This story is one of the best things I’ve ever read.

-/——————————

Reread.
My heart cannot be contained right now. I'm so in love with this book to the point where I feel sick and my heart wants to burst with happiness. This story leaves me on a high that I cannot come down from. I don't want to. I'm addicted! The whole thing feels so unreal to me, I'm wondering whether something like that actually exists.

For gods sake, I'm all over the place.

But, if you haven't read this book, then d
Christy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!!!

photo 863DAA56-0A9A-40F1-A85F-570D12C930B7_zpsbjay11cd.png

What did I love about The Hating Game? Everything. I loved everything about this book. There is nothing better than finishing a book by an author you’ve never read and having this flying high feeling. I feel freaking giddy right now. I listened to the audio and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I got asked why I was in such a good mood more than once over the few days I listened to it. That, my friends, is an epic book!

What do you do when you’re the nice girl at the office who
Katerina
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming (adj.):
Causing pleasant feelings of happiness (and silly, stupid tears you can't stop).

By all means, it was not a sad book. On the contrary, The Hating Game was a funny, sweet, adorable, intoxicating office romance about two sworn enemies that fell in love. And I'm crying because it filled me with so much joy, and hope and love my body can barely contain!

“Both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game-and you have to win. Why? Your heart and your ego.”

Josh is Lucy's ne
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."
"Strangling you. Bare hands." I can barely get the words out. I'm huskier than a phone-sex operator after a double shift.
"So that's your kink." His eyes are going dark.

Oh, boy did I love those two!! XD
I mean who wouldn’t enjoy reading banter like that? It was amazing and I couldn’t wait to read more about them! I swear their conversations were addicting and I loved the way Lucy narrated the story. I mean seriously! THAT GIRL!!! *lol*
“I’m huski
Navessa
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Navessa by: Bonnie

"I wish I could use my thumbs to pull his mouth into a huge deranged grin. As the police drag me out in handcuffs I'll be screeching, Smile, goddamn you."

Imagine being so riled by someone that you end up thinking things like the above on a near-hourly basis. That is the kind of relationship the male and female lead in this book have with each other. They're the executive assistants to the joint heads of their company, and are forced to share cubicle space right outside their offices.

Which wo
Anne
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally I hate chick-lity romance, but this is one of those fantastic exceptions that makes me want to reconsider my usual reluctance to read this genre.
In fact, I loved it so much I started to wonder:

description

Apparently, I'm really late to The Hating Game party.
Did my friends just not tell me about this one, or did this come out while I was undergoing all that laser hair removal? Dark times, dark times...
At any rate, I ran across this in my ongoing quest to find funny romances that make my heart go pi
emma
read this for the 3rd time so...probably time to round up that 4.5
------------------------------
just reread this and i stand by this review.

especially the rapunzel gif.
------------------------------
Oh my gosh.

This book was a blast and a half. This is what I looked like when I was reading it:

Well, in my mind at least. In actuality I was reading it off my laptop at 2 a.m., eating cherry water ice and grinning like an idiot. The glow of my laptop screen proba
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!! The Hating Game is coming to the big screen! https://deadline.com/2018/07/the-simp...

MY DREAM CAST 😍

description

I didn't love this. No. I need a stronger word than love.
Obsessed? Infatuated? Giddy? Whatever, take your pick. But Oh My Joshua, I am crazy for everything about this book. The writing, the humor, the lust, the sexual tension, the emotion, the slow delicious burn. This is probably the best enemies to lovers story I have ever read.

Lucy Hutton and Josh Templeman work toget
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“I have a theory.
Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them.
I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.
Love and hate are visceral.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sometimes (but rarely) when I finish a book, I think:
I’d love to read this again.
Like, right now.
Is it too early to already start a reread?
Well, but I want to.
(My tbr-shelf is probably hating me right now)
But... It was so freaking perfect. ♥
If you want to have a feel-nice-book then
jessica
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if i could marry a book and spend the rest of my life with it, it would be this one. this makes me happy on so many levels.

i promise to have and hold this book (often taking it off the bookshelf and flipping through it pages), from this day forward, for better or worse (when other books may tempt me or try to lead me astray), for richer or poorer (when i can afford new books, i will reread this first), i promise to love and cherish (it will always have a 5 stars rating), till death do us part.

g
Skyler Autumn
1 Stars

Warning I'm about to swear a whole fucking lot!

I am so pissed at this book and at all the people who got this book a average 4.24 rating on Goodreads. How!?! Is the author bribing people? Has she held your loved ones hostage!?

The novel follows the relationship of Lucy and Josh rivals in life and the "workplace." I put workplace in brackets because the two leads rarely do anything but stare at each other and play immature games in the same vain as 2 year old boy pulling the hair of a g
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: library
4.5 STARS

I've been seeing The Hating Game plastered across my Goodreads feed for well over a year now and avoided it solely due to my phase of being constantly disappointed by the majorly hyped books. I could just about slap myself silly for pushing this aside for so many months, because it was worth the hype and much more. While a little slow in the first few chapters, the story quickly takes off once the scene is set and I'm forced to admit something-I have a serious obsession with love to hat
Candace
OMG! This book had me in stitches! It was hilarious. I listened to the audiobook version and spent the day smiling like a loon while everyone in my house wondered what was so entertaining about doing the laundry.

The story revolves around Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, two executive assistants forced together when rival publishing companies merge, making their respective bosses co-CEOs. They spend their days antagonizing each other and verbally sparring. I laughed my ass off listening to thei
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

"I want to know what's going on in your brain. I want to juice your head like a lemon."

➦This is Sally Thorne's debut novel and I have to say - job well done! I love romcoms and this one certainly hit the spot. A book about two co-workers battling it out in the office. You see, there is an opening for a job which they both want. Let the games begin.
"-What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."

"-Stangling you. Bare hands."

Lucy is a sweetheart and a people pleaser. So why is it so
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Every book needs to take notes from the way this romance is written. It's exactly the type of detailing that I crave in books like this and i'm SO thrilled I finally got the chance to read this and add to my list of new favorites, even though it wasn't perfect.

The beginning of this book needs to be fleshed out a lot more. We’re told that Lucy haaates Josh, but there’s nothing substantial to back that up, and she kinda just tells the reader HE’S HORRIBLE AND ANNOYING AND I’VE HATED HIM F
❄️Nani❄️
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
So I finally read the romance book that took GR and other book communities by storm and... I liked it? It was okay. And cute.
I wouldn’t say I fell madly in love with it like most people did but it was fun. That’s about it.

Let me preface this by saying that I wanted to (really) love it. I truly and genuinely did but the fact of the matter is that fluffy contemporary romance novels just aren’t my thing. I tried.
If given the choice, I’d always go for plot-driven books-at least for the most part-
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Reasons why I loved The Hating Game

1. Lucy Hutton
2. Josh Templeman
3. The banter
4. The chemistry
5. SLOW.BURN.
6. Matchbox cars
7. Smurfs
8. White, off-white stripe, cream, pale yellow, mustard, baby blue, robin's egg blue, dove-gray, navy, and black business shirts
9. CUDDLING
10. Hate to love

I devoured this book. Completely devoured it. I was looking for a slow-burn, hate to love office romance, and this was it. I am so happy right now, you guys. I'm literally grinning
Bibi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
01/22/18:
Even better the second time reading. Josh and Lucy are too cute and so much fun to hang with. Sigh.

Initial Review

There's a new kid on the Rom-Com scene and her name is Sally Thorne. Holy molly!

This book...aww...this book.

Firstly, the dialogue was insane. Freaking insane. No word was misplaced or unwarranted. All were perfectly placed.

Secondly, the plot. So simple yet so riveting. Two colleagues who seemingly can't abide each other but ah.. Thorne makes the premise so fresh you can't but
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 HR STARS

description

Lovers of the enemies to lover’s trope will inhale this well written love story. If you are back and forth due to the pricing of this story please note that it is worth the price tag and I don’t regret my purchase in the least. The story is 5 star quality for its chemistry, banter, and unique story line. I adored both characters and their fall but those games were such a good time over 5 stars for entertainment value.

description

When two companies merge mixing stuffy suit types with the creative
Natalie Monroe
Things that Make Natalie want to Flip a Table:

-Cliches

Cliche A: the hate-to-love relationship

This is a trope that CAN be done well. If there's a fresh spin. And the characters were likable. Josh was *gasp* secretly in love with her all along, but instead of doing something radical like being nice, he embarks on a third-grader's idea of wooing women. He figuratively flicks boogers in her hair and breaks her crayons.

Cliche B: the sick scene from every shoujo manga

Our plucky heroine is dangerous
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Okay, seriously . . .? This book was AMAZING. It's so hard to find a fun, clever contemporary romance that doesn't at least occasionally cross over into cornball territory.

Lucy was a tiny little spitfire, Josh was just damaged enough to be interesting without being angsty, and together they alternately hys-freaking-terical and so adorable I literally CANNOT EVEN.

Sally Thorne . . . I've got my eye on you, woman. *tips hat*

Full RTC.
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5-I-HATE-THIS-HATING-GAME-BOOK-SO-MUCH!!!

I hate this book.
I hate these characters.
I hate the way they made me feel.
I hate how adorable Josh is.
I hate how cute Lucy is.
I hate how I'm in love with their cuteness.
I hate how I read this book in just one sitting (or should I say lying).
I hate their stupid but smexy games.
I hate Sally Thorne.
I hate how smitten I've been in the last 12 hours.

Last but not the least,

I hate that I LOVED this book sooo freaking much!!!

This kind of b
Zain Otoom
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Sally Thorn went to Hogwarts, learned witchery, and came back and applied her lessons while writing this book and cursed every person who reads it to inevitably fall in love with both Josh and the book, and as hard as the first time they read it.
Honestly we should sue.
Pearl Angeli
4 Stars!

What a perfect combination of cute and sexy. I kept seeing The Hating Game on my Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads timeline and since it's been gathering high ratings, of course my curiosity was piqued.

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, both executive assistants to the co-owners of Bexley & Gamin, have always been at a clash with each other. They share an office room together but they don't get along well. When their respective bosses announced that one of them will be promoted as the
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

❝Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them. I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.

Love and hate are visceral. Your stomach twists at the thought of that person. The heart in your chest beats heavy and bright, nearly visible through your flesh and clothes. Your appetite and sleep are schredded. Every interaction spikes your blood with adrenaline, and you're in the brink of fight or flight. Your body is barely under your control
V. PARENTAL GUIDANCE:  A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you
3.5 stars! No slut shaming no cheating no womanizers!!

Henry Cavill as Joshua!

Note for Harper Collins and Children bloomsburry imprints:

New adult exists!

New adult is a genre!

Admit it!

Plenty of readers want to read New adult! Why do you keep pretending that New adult reads like A court of Mist and Fury and in this case The hating game are something that they aren't? Why do you mislead readers?

description

Readers like to read sex scenes and the readers who prefer clean reads should know what they're gettin
  • Pretty Face (London Celebrities, #2)
  • Running Barefoot
  • Kulti
  • The Chocolate Temptation (Amour et Chocolat, #6)
  • Beating Ruby (Spotless, #2)
  • Hot in Hellcat Canyon (Hellcat Canyon, #1)
  • Hold Me (Cyclone, #2)
  • Wrong to Need You (Forbidden Hearts, #2)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Love Hacked (Knitting in the City, #3)
  • Practice Makes Perfect
  • Her Best Worst Mistake (Elizabeth and Violet #2)
  • Just One Of The Guys
  • Truly (New York, #1)
  • The Luckiest Lady in London (The London Trilogy #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Sally Thorne is the USA Today bestselling author of the office rom-com The Hating Game (2016). It is her debut novel that has sold in over twenty-five countries and is being made into a major motion picture, to be directed by Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion and The Simpsons Movie director David Mirkin. It was named in the top 20 romance novels of 2016 by the Washington Post and was a top t ...more
“Books were, and always would be, something a little magic and something to respect.” 277 likes
“The trick is to find that one person who can give it back as good as they can take it.” 234 likes