Start by marking “The Hating Game” as Want to Read:
The Hating Game

The Hating Game

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  131,893 ratings  ·  18,823 reviews
This is a previously-published edition - ISBN13: 9780062439604

Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman

Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except fo
ebook, 2nd Edition, 387 pages
Published August 9th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Hating Game, please sign up.
Farjana Why does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm ju…moreWhy does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm just curious as to why a city is important than the concept or story of this novel ??(less)
Azzah Hayat Yes, she is. It's called The Comfort Zone and it comes out some time next summer. :)

·  131,893 ratings  ·  18,823 reviews

Start your review of The Hating Game
Skyler Autumn
1 Stars

Warning I'm about to swear a whole fucking lot!

I am so pissed at this book and at all the people who got this book a average 4.24 rating on Goodreads. How!?! Is the author bribing people? Has she held your loved ones hostage!?

The novel follows the relationship of Lucy and Josh rivals in life and the "workplace." I put workplace in brackets because the two leads rarely do anything but stare at each other and play immature games in the same vain as 2 year old boy pulling the hair of a g
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 3/17/20: This book never fails to ease my anxieties and I love it with all of my heart. Forever indebted to this book for making me smile through the roughest times. Also, Lucy and Josh can both, like, get it

Re-read 5/25/19: Realized I hadn't re-read this in 2019 and obvs had to remedy that. I love this book so damn much that I could probably recite it in my sleep. Swooney swoon swoon.

Re-read 12/30/18: I had a mighty need to re-read this so it would be my last read of the year and I clea
✦❋Arianna✦❋
5 Stars!!

description

I honestly think 'The Hating Game”' is that kind of book anyone would enjoy – wonderfully written is a very entertaining way, griping from the very beginning and perfect if you love enemies to lovers stories. I’ve read many books with this trope, so trust me when I say Sally Thorne’s debut novel was a great one. More than great actually. It was fabulous! It was fan, entertaining and so refreshing. Needless to say, I devoured this little gem from start to finish.

“I'm twenty-eig
Warda
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread x3. This story is one of the best things I’ve ever read.

-/——————————

Reread.
My heart cannot be contained right now. I'm so in love with this book to the point where I feel sick and my heart wants to burst with happiness. This story leaves me on a high that I cannot come down from. I don't want to. I'm addicted! The whole thing feels so unreal to me, I'm wondering whether something like that actually exists.

For gods sake, I'm all over the place.

But, if you haven't read this book, then d
Wendy Darling
This is somehow a magical blend of adult Sarra Manning + Sarah Mayberry + Jennifer Crusie. It's funny and sharp and serious, with seething workplace rivalry and career drama coupled with crazy great chemistry and delicious banter. It also has unbelievably sweet and tender moments (view spoiler), though you'll easily laugh a minute after that! It captures that weird obsessive behavior you can't help when you first fall in love, ...more
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance, 2019-reads
3.75*
I really wasn’t sure about this up until the end but once I got there I was squeaaaaaaling
Christy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!!!

photo 863DAA56-0A9A-40F1-A85F-570D12C930B7_zpsbjay11cd.png

What did I love about The Hating Game? Everything. I loved everything about this book. There is nothing better than finishing a book by an author you’ve never read and having this flying high feeling. I feel freaking giddy right now. I listened to the audio and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I got asked why I was in such a good mood more than once over the few days I listened to it. That, my friends, is an epic book!

What do you do when you’re the nice girl at the office w
Natalie Monroe
Things that Make Natalie want to Flip a Table:

-Cliches

Cliche A: the hate-to-love relationship

This is a trope that CAN be done well. If there's a fresh spin. And the characters were likable. Josh was *gasp* secretly in love with her all along, but instead of doing something radical like being nice, he embarks on a third-grader's idea of wooing women. He figuratively flicks boogers in her hair and breaks her crayons.

Cliche B: the sick scene from every shoujo manga

Our plucky heroine is dangerous
Katerina
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming (adj.):
Causing pleasant feelings of happiness (and silly, stupid tears you can't stop).

By all means, it was not a sad book. On the contrary, The Hating Game was a funny, sweet, adorable, intoxicating office romance about two sworn enemies that fell in love. And I'm crying because it filled me with so much joy, and hope and love my body can barely contain!

“Both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game-and you have to win. Why? Your heart and your ego.”

Josh is
Anne
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Normally I hate chick-lity romance, but this is one of those fantastic exceptions that makes me want to reconsider my usual reluctance to read this genre.
In fact, I loved it so much I started to wonder:

description

Apparently, I'm really late to The Hating Game party.
Did my friends just not tell me about this one, or did this come out while I was undergoing all that laser hair removal? Dark times, dark times...
At any rate, I ran across this in my ongoing quest to find funny romances that make my heart go pi
Navessa
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Navessa by: Bonnie

"I wish I could use my thumbs to pull his mouth into a huge deranged grin. As the police drag me out in handcuffs I'll be screeching, Smile, goddamn you."

Imagine being so riled by someone that you end up thinking things like the above on a near-hourly basis. That is the kind of relationship the male and female lead in this book have with each other. They're the executive assistants to the joint heads of their company, and are forced to share cubicle space right outside their offic
emma
read this for the 3rd time so...probably time to round up that 4.5
------------------------------
just reread this and i stand by this review.

especially the rapunzel gif.
------------------------------
Oh my gosh.

This book was a blast and a half. This is what I looked like when I was reading it:

Well, in my mind at least. In actuality I was reading it off my laptop at 2 a.m., eating cherry water ice and grinning like an idiot. The glow of my laptop screen proba
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."
"Strangling you. Bare hands." I can barely get the words out. I'm huskier than a phone-sex operator after a double shift.
"So that's your kink." His eyes are going dark.

Oh, boy did I love those two!! XD
I mean who wouldn’t enjoy reading banter like that? It was amazing and I couldn’t wait to read more about them! I swear their conversations were addicting and I loved the way Lucy narrated the story. I mean seriously! THAT GIRL!!! *lol*
“I’m huski
 Teodora
4.75/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

I’ve been debating so hard on rating this book because I am really not into chick-lit novels (like, almost at all) and I feel conflicted every time I have to rate one, even though I read the bloody book on my own free will.

But, Jesus, I’m busted now, so what’s the point in hiding behind a finger?
I enjoyed this so fucking much that I just can’t deny it.

I don’t know what’s gotten into me one day, I woke up normally, had an online course that I a
jessica
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if i could marry a book and spend the rest of my life with it, it would be this one. this makes me happy on so many levels.

i promise to have and hold this book (often taking it off the bookshelf and flipping through it pages), from this day forward, for better or worse (when other books may tempt me or try to lead me astray), for richer or poorer (when i can afford new books, i will reread this first), i promise to love and cherish (it will always have a 5 stars rating), till death do us part.

g
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!! The Hating Game is coming to the big screen! https://deadline.com/2018/07/the-simp...

MY DREAM CAST 😍

description

I didn't love this. No. I need a stronger word than love.
Obsessed? Infatuated? Giddy? Whatever, take your pick. But Oh My Joshua, I am crazy for everything about this book. The writing, the humor, the lust, the sexual tension, the emotion, the slow delicious burn. This is probably the best enemies to lovers story I have ever read.

Lucy Hutton and Josh Templeman work
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“I have a theory.
Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them.
I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.
Love and hate are visceral.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sometimes (but rarely) when I finish a book, I think:
I’d love to read this again.
Like, right now.
Is it too early to already start a reread?
Well, but I want to.
(My tbr-shelf is probably hating me right now)
But... It was so freaking perfect. ♥️
If you want to have a feel-nice-boo
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: library
4.5 STARS

I've been seeing The Hating Game plastered across my Goodreads feed for well over a year now and avoided it solely due to my phase of being constantly disappointed by the majorly hyped books. I could just about slap myself silly for pushing this aside for so many months, because it was worth the hype and much more. While a little slow in the first few chapters, the story quickly takes off once the scene is set and I'm forced to admit something-I have a serious obsession with love to hat
Candace
OMG! This book had me in stitches! It was hilarious. I listened to the audiobook version and spent the day smiling like a loon while everyone in my house wondered what was so entertaining about doing the laundry.

The story revolves around Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, two executive assistants forced together when rival publishing companies merge, making their respective bosses co-CEOs. They spend their days antagonizing each other and verbally sparring. I laughed my ass off listening to thei
Nick
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
So I read this book to my girlfriend (out loud) and it was fine. I found it really ironic that Lucy was surprised when Josh told her he was used before for his apperance, while she was doing the same thing to him the entire time.
EmBibliophile
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Re-read #3 (4/14/2020) Reread again because it’s my birthday and I’d rather spend it with no one but Joshua and Lucy. There’s no explainable reason why I love this book so much. It’s just that when all goes down, I can always count on this book to make it all okay. This book make me so freakin happy!!

Re-read #2 (9/2/2019) Hands down the best rom-com book I’ve ever read!! This book brings joy to my life.
I LOVE IT SO FREAKIN MUCH!!

5 shortcake stars!

”I should mention that the ultimate aim of all
Bibi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
01/22/18:
Even better the second time reading. Josh and Lucy are too cute and so much fun to hang with. Sigh.

Initial Review

There's a new kid on the Rom-Com scene and her name is Sally Thorne. Holy molly!

This book...aww...this book.

Firstly, the dialogue was insane. Freaking insane. No word was misplaced or unwarranted. All were perfectly placed.

Secondly, the plot. Simple yet riveting. Two colleagues who seemingly can't abide each other but ah.. Thorne makes the premise so fresh you can't but cheer
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Every book needs to take notes from the way this romance is written. It's exactly the type of detailing that I crave in books like this and i'm SO thrilled I finally got the chance to read this and add to my list of new favorites, even though it wasn't perfect.

The beginning of this book needs to be fleshed out a lot more. We’re told that Lucy haaates Josh, but there’s nothing substantial to back that up, and she kinda just tells the reader HE’S HORRIBLE AND ANNOYING AND I’VE HATED HIM F
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

"I want to know what's going on in your brain. I want to juice your head like a lemon."

➦This is Sally Thorne's debut novel and I have to say - job well done! I love romcoms and this one certainly hit the spot. A book about two co-workers battling it out in the office. You see, there is an opening for a job which they both want. Let the games begin.
"-What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."

"-Stangling you. Bare hands."

Lucy is a sweetheart and a people pleaser.
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
So I finally read the romance book that took GR and other book communities by storm and... I liked it? It was okay. And cute.
I wouldn’t say I fell madly in love with it like most people did but it was fun. That’s about it.

Let me preface this by saying that I wanted to (really) love it. I truly and genuinely did but the fact of the matter is that fluffy contemporary romance novels just aren’t my thing. I tried.
If given the choice, I’d always go for plot-driven books-at least for the most part-
Arini
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing

1st Read: 5 Stars
2nd Read: 5 Stars

My fangirling might make you cringe, but please don’t rain on my parade. I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH I COULD CRY. And I’m shamelessly admitting that I literally did. The last chapter was so sweet I smiled so big my cheeks hurt. I didn’t mean to get all corny and mushy, but I JUST FEEL LIKE MY HEART IS SO FULL AND I’M ABOUT TO PUKE RAINBOWS.

How is it fair that in all the history of my nine to five jobs I’ve never had a co-worker like JOSHUA TEMPLEMAN?

Granted I’d jus
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Reasons why I loved The Hating Game

1. Lucy Hutton
2. Josh Templeman
3. The banter
4. The chemistry
5. SLOW.BURN.
6. Matchbox cars
7. Smurfs
8. White, off-white stripe, cream, pale yellow, mustard, baby blue, robin's egg blue, dove-gray, navy, and black business shirts
9. CUDDLING
10. Hate to love

I devoured this book. Completely devoured it. I was looking for a slow-burn, hate to love office romance, and this was it. I am so happy right now, you guys. I'm literally grinni
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5-I-HATE-THIS-HATING-GAME-BOOK-SO-MUCH!!!!

I hate this book.
I hate these characters.
I hate the way they made me feel.
I hate how adorable Josh is.
I hate how cute Lucy is.
I hate how I'm in love with their cuteness.
I hate how I read this book in just one sitting (or should I say lying).
I hate their stupid but smexy games.
I hate Sally Thorne.
I hate how smitten I've been in the last 12 hours.

Last but not the least,

I hate that I LOVED this book sooo freak
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book needs an introduction.
Because this book, my wonderful Goodreads community, is my all time favorite book number one.
I read this book the first time in March 2018.
My bookish best friend Mary told me about it and said: „You’re gonna love this!“
So I picked it up... and fell in love. So deeply, so crazy, that I read this book five times (and it’s only January 2019).
I read this book when I’m sad and need a happy place.
I read this book when I’m happy and want to read about my favorite c
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Hating Game by Sally Thorne - Restarting June 1st 2020 201 341 Jun 17, 2020 05:19PM
YA Buddy Reads Co...: The Hating Game (Starting June 1st 2020) 38 21 Jun 15, 2020 05:45PM