Start by marking “The Hating Game” as Want to Read:
The Hating Game

The Hating Game

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  243,296 ratings  ·  31,974 reviews
Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman

Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except for coldly efficient, impeccably attired, physically intimidatin
ebook, 2nd Edition, 387 pages
Published August 9th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Hating Game, please sign up.
Farjana Why does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm ju…moreWhy does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm just curious as to why a city is important than the concept or story of this novel ??(less)
Paper Ceilings Yes, she is. It's called The Comfort Zone and it comes out some time next summer. :)…moreYes, she is. It's called The Comfort Zone and it comes out some time next summer. :)(less)
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana ZapataKulti by Mariana ZapataThe Hating Game by Sally  ThorneThe V Girl by Mya RobartsArcher's Voice by Mia Sheridan
Slow-burn romance
985 books — 2,698 voters
Bully by Penelope DouglasThe Hating Game by Sally  ThorneThe Deal by Elle KennedyObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutWallbanger by Alice Clayton
Best enemies to lovers
736 books — 2,290 voters

More lists with this book...

·  243,296 ratings  ·  31,974 reviews

Start your review of The Hating Game
✦❋Arianna✦❋
5 Stars!!

description

I honestly think 'The Hating Game”' is that kind of book anyone would enjoy – wonderfully written is a very entertaining way, griping from the very beginning and perfect if you love enemies to lovers stories. I’ve read many books with this trope, so trust me when I say Sally Thorne’s debut novel was a great one. More than great actually. It was fabulous! It was fan, entertaining and so refreshing. Needless to say, I devoured this little gem from start to finish.

“I'm twenty-eig
Natalie Monroe
Things that Make Natalie want to Flip a Table:

-Cliches

Cliche A: the hate-to-love relationship

This is a trope that CAN be done well. If there's a fresh spin. And the characters were likable. Josh was *gasp* secretly in love with her all along, but instead of doing something radical like being nice, he embarks on a third-grader's idea of wooing women. He figuratively flicks boogers in her hair and breaks her crayons.

Cliche B: the sick scene from every shoujo manga

Our plucky heroine is dangerous
Skyler Autumn
1 Stars

Warning I'm about to swear a whole fucking lot!

I am so pissed at this book and at all the people who got this book a average 4.24 rating on Goodreads. How!?! Is the author bribing people? Has she held your loved ones hostage!?

The novel follows the relationship of Lucy and Josh rivals in life and the "workplace." I put workplace in brackets because the two leads rarely do anything but stare at each other and play immature games in the same vain as 2 year old boy pulling the hair of a g
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 3/17/20: This book never fails to ease my anxieties and I love it with all of my heart. Forever indebted to this book for making me smile through the roughest times. Also, Lucy and Josh can both, like, get it

Re-read 5/25/19: Realized I hadn't re-read this in 2019 and obvs had to remedy that. I love this book so damn much that I could probably recite it in my sleep. Swooney swoon swoon.

Re-read 12/30/18: I had a mighty need to re-read this so it would be my last read of the year and I clea
noelle
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m not kidding when I tell you this book just jumped to my top 3 favorite books of all time and hey I know I’m a grad student who should say Great Expectations or some shit is my favorite but I don’t CARE BECAUSE MY HEART IS FULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL I’m literally already planning a tattoo I feel like I’m glowing
Warda
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread x3. This story is one of the best things I’ve ever read.

--------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW.
I'm currently at work and I cannot, for the life of me, stop thinking about this book. It's only been a day, but I thought about it constantly before I went to bed, whilst in bed. I thought about it on my way to work and now, whilst I'm at work.

It is safe to say that this book will be going on my all-time favourites list. I feel like it's been a while since I loved a book so ferociously, where I t
emma
Oct 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Is there, like, a German word for “the experience of when something is not extremely disappointing, but it is the eleven millionth small disappointment in a year of disappointments of varying sizes and thus threatens to topple your well-being entirely”?

Sound off in the comments below.

Because, in the scheme of things, this book going from a 4.5 star read rounded up to a 3 star read is not all that consequential.

And yet it may be the end of everything, for me, personally, on a personal level.

I DON
Christy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars!!!

photo 863DAA56-0A9A-40F1-A85F-570D12C930B7_zpsbjay11cd.png

What did I love about The Hating Game? Everything. I loved everything about this book. There is nothing better than finishing a book by an author you’ve never read and having this flying high feeling. I feel freaking giddy right now. I listened to the audio and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I got asked why I was in such a good mood more than once over the few days I listened to it. That, my friends, is an epic book!

What do you do when you’re the nice girl at the office w
Wendy Darling
This is somehow a magical blend of adult Sarra Manning + Sarah Mayberry + Jennifer Crusie. It's funny and sharp and serious, with seething workplace rivalry and career drama coupled with crazy great chemistry and delicious banter. It also has unbelievably sweet and tender moments (view spoiler), though you'll easily laugh a minute after that! It captures that weird obsessive behavior you can't help when you first fall in love, ...more
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
3.75*
I really wasn’t sure about this up until the end but once I got there I was squeaaaaaaling
Anne
Normally I hate chick-lity romance, but this is one of those fantastic exceptions that makes me want to reconsider my usual reluctance to read this genre.
In fact, I loved it so much I started to wonder:

description

Apparently, I'm really late to The Hating Game party.
Did my friends just not tell me about this one, or did this come out while I was undergoing all that laser hair removal? Dark times, dark times...
At any rate, I ran across this in my ongoing quest to find funny romances that make my heart go pi
 Teodora
4.75/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺
description

I’ve been debating so hard on rating this book because I am really not into chick-lit novels (like, almost at all) and I feel conflicted every time I have to rate one, even though I read the bloody book on my own free will.

But, Jesus, I’m busted now, so what’s the point in hiding behind a finger?
I enjoyed this so fucking much that I just can’t deny it.

I don’t know what’s gotten into me one day, I woke up normally, had an online course that
Katerina
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming (adj.):
Causing pleasant feelings of happiness (and silly, stupid tears you can't stop).

By all means, it was not a sad book. On the contrary, The Hating Game was a funny, sweet, adorable, intoxicating office romance about two sworn enemies that fell in love. And I'm crying because it filled me with so much joy, and hope and love my body can barely contain!

“Both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game-and you have to win. Why? Your heart and your ego.”

Josh is
sil ♡ the book voyagers
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Warning: This review will have lots of quotes and (?) maybe spoilers, I guess.

The Hating Game gets all the praise in the world. I wanted to see what's up, why is this book so popular, why does everyone love it so much. I found out it had a hate/love relationship plus an enemies to lovers trope as well. I loved those ones so so much.

But The Hating Game became The Problematic Game.

First of all: Since the very first start, our main protagonist, Lucy, comes off as very fatphobic. And she is, you f
jessica
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if i could marry a book and spend the rest of my life with it, it would be this one. this makes me happy on so many levels.

i promise to have and hold this book (often taking it off the bookshelf and flipping through it pages), from this day forward, for better or worse (when other books may tempt me or try to lead me astray), for richer or poorer (when i can afford new books, i will reread this first), i promise to love and cherish (it will always have a 5 stars rating), till death do us part.

g
Navessa
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Navessa by: Bonnie

"I wish I could use my thumbs to pull his mouth into a huge deranged grin. As the police drag me out in handcuffs I'll be screeching, Smile, goddamn you."

Imagine being so riled by someone that you end up thinking things like the above on a near-hourly basis. That is the kind of relationship the male and female lead in this book have with each other. They're the executive assistants to the joint heads of their company, and are forced to share cubicle space right outside their offic
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
"What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."
"Strangling you. Bare hands." I can barely get the words out. I'm huskier than a phone-sex operator after a double shift.
"So that's your kink." His eyes are going dark.

Oh, boy did I love those two!! XD
I mean who wouldn’t enjoy reading banter like that? It was amazing and I couldn’t wait to read more about them! I swear their conversations were addicting and I loved the way Lucy narrated the story. I mean seriously! THAT GIRL!!! *lol*
“I’m huski
Gabby
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of rainbow rowell + office romances
Recommended to Gabby by: Stephanie Sprinkle
I just reread this book for a third time, it's still an all time favorite. See my reaction here: https://youtu.be/2OknqgHLvIE

I just finished reading this book for the second time and aklsjdlakjsa. It was SO GOOD. Lucy and Josh are literally the cutest and I listened to the audiobook this time (which was absolutely fantastic by the way) and ALKSJDLKAJS. THIS STORY IS SO CUTE. I had a smile on my face the entire time I was reading and I love their witty banter and the fact that they work in publis
Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

🎧 4th Read, July 2021 — 5 Stars

What prompted me to re-read this? The fact that we’re seven months into 2021 and I haven’t revisited this book. In other words, it was an act of blasphemy that I simply refused take part of. #ILoveJoshLucy4Eva 😌

Btw, why aren’t there more news about the movie?? :( As far as i know, they wrapped up the production late last year. But there’s been no teaser or trailer since. I’m getting really impatient and frustrated. 😤

📚 1st Read, August 2017 — 5 Stars
🎧 2nd Read, Febr
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!! The Hating Game is coming to the big screen! https://deadline.com/2018/07/the-simp...

MY DREAM CAST 😍

description

I didn't love this. No. I need a stronger word than love.
Obsessed? Infatuated? Giddy? Whatever, take your pick. But Oh My Joshua, I am crazy for everything about this book. The writing, the humor, the lust, the sexual tension, the emotion, the slow delicious burn. This is probably the best enemies to lovers story I have ever read.

Lucy Hutton and Josh Templeman work
Elena
Dec 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This is another one of those books I've owned since it (almost) came out but I never got around reading it. Funny story: I almost bought another copy of this because I thought I lost my copy of it. I almost cried. I'm so glad I found my copy and didn't buy a new one though, or I would have been crying but they wouldn't be happy tears.

I'm not going to write a full review for this, but I do wanna say that one thing in particular really bothered me throughout the entire novel and really, ruined it
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: library
4.5 STARS

I've been seeing The Hating Game plastered across my Goodreads feed for well over a year now and avoided it solely due to my phase of being constantly disappointed by the majorly hyped books. I could just about slap myself silly for pushing this aside for so many months, because it was worth the hype and much more. While a little slow in the first few chapters, the story quickly takes off once the scene is set and I'm forced to admit something-I have a serious obsession with love to hat
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“I have a theory.
Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them.
I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.
Love and hate are visceral.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sometimes (but rarely) when I finish a book, I think:
I’d love to read this again.
Like, right now.
Is it too early to already start a reread?
Well, but I want to.
(My tbr-shelf is probably hating me right now)
But... It was so freaking perfect. ♥️
If you want to have a feel-nice-boo
Bibi
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
01/22/18:
Even better the second time reading. Josh and Lucy are too cute and so much fun to hang with. Sigh.

Initial Review

There's a new kid on the Rom-Com scene and her name is Sally Thorne. Holy molly!

This book...aww...this book.

Firstly, the dialogue was insane. Freaking insane. No word was misplaced or unwarranted. All were perfectly placed.

Secondly, the plot. Simple yet riveting. Two colleagues who seemingly can't abide each other but ah.. Thorne makes the premise so fresh you can't but cheer
EmBibliophile
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Re-read #3 (4/14/2020) Reread again because it’s my birthday and I’d rather spend it with no one but Joshua and Lucy. There’s no explainable reason why I love this book so much. It’s just that when all goes down, I can always count on this book to make it all okay. This book make me so freakin happy!!

Re-read #2 (9/2/2019) Hands down the best rom-com book I’ve ever read!! This book brings joy to my life.
I LOVE IT SO FREAKIN MUCH!!

5 shortcake stars!

”I should mention that the ultimate aim of all
Candace
OMG! This book had me in stitches! It was hilarious. I listened to the audiobook version and spent the day smiling like a loon while everyone in my house wondered what was so entertaining about doing the laundry.

The story revolves around Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, two executive assistants forced together when rival publishing companies merge, making their respective bosses co-CEOs. They spend their days antagonizing each other and verbally sparring. I laughed my ass off listening to thei
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
So I finally read the romance book that took GR and other book communities by storm and... I liked it? It was okay. And cute.
I wouldn’t say I fell madly in love with it like most people did but it was fun. That’s about it.

Let me preface this by saying that I wanted to (really) love it. I truly and genuinely did but the fact of the matter is that fluffy contemporary romance novels just aren’t my thing. I tried.
If given the choice, I’d always go for plot-driven books-at least for the most part-
Yun
Apr 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel so conflicted about The Hating Game. It was like I was playing out my own version of the love/hate game with the book while reading it.

Lucy and Josh work in the same office, but cannot stand the sight of each other. They trade daily barbs and insults, fueled by their mutual hate and dislike. Or, could it be the hate is a mask for something else?

There is so much I enjoyed about this book. I blew through the first two-thirds in the blink of an eye. Josh is adorable, brooding and silent on t
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Every book needs to take notes from the way this romance is written. It's exactly the type of detailing that I crave in books like this and i'm SO thrilled I finally got the chance to read this and add to my list of new favorites, even though it wasn't perfect.

The beginning of this book needs to be fleshed out a lot more. We’re told that Lucy haaates Josh, but there’s nothing substantial to back that up, and she kinda just tells the reader HE’S HORRIBLE AND ANNOYING AND I’VE HATED HIM F
The Overbooked So...: August BOTM 3 18 Aug 01, 2021 01:25AM

• The Unhoneymooners
  • Beach Read
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • People We Meet on Vacation
  • Ugly Love
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • Punk 57
  • It Ends with Us
  • The Spanish Love Deception
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
  • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
  • Shipped
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • You Deserve Each Other
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Goal (Off-Campus, #4)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
See top shelves…
Sally Thorne is the USA Today bestselling author of the office rom-com The Hating Game (2016). It is her debut novel that has sold in over twenty-five countries and is being made into a major motion picture, directed by Peter Hutchings and starring Lucy Hale and Austin Stowell. Filming wrapped in December 2020. It was named in the top 20 romance novels of 2016 by the Washington Post and was a top ...more

Articles featuring this book

Haven't had a chance to pull out that passport in over a year? Yeah, we feel you. Luckily for all of us, these 15 new romances published since...
“Books were, and always would be, something a little magic and something to respect.” 507 likes
“The trick is to find that one person who can give it back as good as they can take it.” 417 likes