Start by marking “A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)

A Boy Called Christmas

(Christmas #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  7,517 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews
You are about to read the true story of Father Christmas.
It is a story that proves that nothing is impossible.
If you are one of those people who believe that some things are impossible, you should put this book down right away. It is most certainly not for you.
Because this book is FULL of impossible things.

Are you still reading?

Good.

Then let us begin . . .

A Boy Called Chri
Published November 16th 2015 by Canongate (first published November 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Called Christmas, please sign up.
Conor It's one hundred per cent a children's book, but adults can enjoy it, too!

·  7,517 ratings  ·  1,181 reviews

Start your review of A Boy Called Christmas (Christmas, #1)
Cristina Monica
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
One would say that it is not the right month to read this book.

I say every month is the right month to read any book, especially this under-the-radar treasure that makes for a perfect (if somewhat long) bedtime story.

Before he was Father Christmas, Nikolas was just a little boy whose mother died and whose father left on a quest to find proof elves exist, leaving him with his atrocious aunt that treats him like garbage.

But Nikolas, the courageous boy that he is, will not stand still and wait for
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Look at these sweet little kids talking about the book on Youtube!

YouTube Video

OMG! OMG! OMG!

Okay, so I got this audio version through the BLOGGING FOR BOOKS program! Thank you!

I very rarely listen to audio books any more because I just don't remember things and can't spell very well. I actually thought this was the hardback, BUT <--- I loved it because the narrator is STEPHEN FRY! I love Stephen Fry and he narrates perfectly!

I loved Nikolas and his story! It's funny and sad!

The story talks a
Irena BookDustMagic
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best Christmas story ever written!

This one goes to my all-time-favourite shelf.

I loved it so much! ❤🎅⛄❄💝💕
April (Aprilius Maximus)
What an absolute delight. Matt Haig is just incredible. I also highly recommend the audiobook narrated by (my fave) Stephen Fry! :')
Cheri
Dec 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Can you believe there was a time when no one in the world knew about him? A time when he was just an ordinary boy called Nikolas, living in the middle of nowhere, or the middle of Finland, doing nothing with magic except believing in it? A boy who knew very little about the world except the taste of mushroom soup, the feel of a cold north wind, and the stories he was told. And who only had a doll made out of a turnip to play with. But life was going to change for Nikolas, in ways he could never ...more
Annet
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Impossible - an old elf swear word :-)

Great Xmas story, out of the box!
Including elves, trolls, pixies and reindeers....
The drawings are just beautiful and cute.
Fun, although also a bit sad here and there....
All in the spirit of Xmas.

A Boy Called Christmas is a tale of adventure, snow, kidnapping, elves, more snow, and an eleven-year-old boy called Nikolas, who isn't afraid to believe in magic.

My name is Father Christmas. When I was your age I was called Nikolas. There will be a lot of people
Britt / Basically Britt
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
oh man, this was such a wonderful Christmas book <3
I think this is such an amazing middle grade read that teaches you about good and bad, love and friendship, and the power of believing in yourself and believing in magic.

What a perfect book to start 2018 with! (and yes, who cares that it's about Christmas?! Christmas books can be read all year round <3). I'm already so ready for Christmas 2018 haha!

*update on December 3rd 2018*
I reread it and loved it just as much! SO READY FOR CHRISTMAS!
Mischenko
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Christmas book to keep. One of my favorite Christmas books. ♡ the illustrations. Will read again! :)

5*****
Rebecca McNutt
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd had this book when I was a kid. It's a fairly recent publication and yet it has all the qualities of a classic Christmas story. This book is great and one that both adults and kids can enjoy.
Mayke ☕️
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a full on Children's book and I absolutely loved it! Also lovely illustrations to go with the story. Great Christmas read!
Gavin
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfect book to finish reading at 1.30am on Christmas morning!
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
Fun, sweet, touching, and a little bit silly. Perfect Christmas read, and one I know my boys will enjoy in the future!
Liz Barnsley
There may be a more adulty review from me at some stage but I wouldn’t count on it as right now I’m a big kid again.

A Boy Called Christmas is, as my son Harry put it upon finishing , “absolutely awesome”.

I could probably leave it there. Harry is 8. He knows more than me on these things, I bow to his superior knowledge. But as it is a sort of review, I’ll expand a bit.

Lots of people have talked about how wonderful and magical it is (true)

Others have mentioned that it has its darker moments. (also
Bam cooks the books ;-)
Hey everyone! I've just read the most delightful holiday story and want to share it with you! I read this book to see if it would be a story I would enjoy sharing with my grandson in years to come, and the answer to that is a big YES! It may also find its way into some adult stockings as well next year, for those I know would enjoy it as much as I did. In my opinion it should take its rightful place among family holiday classics that we all know and love.

This is the story of how our beloved Fat
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
“An impossibility is just a possibility you don’t understand yet”

Nikolas

This is the most enchanting Christmas story ever. I can’t believe I only discovered it now.
I will have to get myself a physical copy (as I only have the e-book) and re-read it every Christmas. Also I will have to have the Audio, as it’s read by Stephen Fry.
Be still my beating heart … There are two follow-up stories I also need right now!

O, and I love the illustrations, it’s wonderfully different and just add so much to the stoy.
Elfhelm
Bradley
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-shelf, ya, fantasy
A very simple, standard, check-every-box kind of Christmas tale. You got your quest, your scrooge, your deep misunderstandings, and your reversals that all lead to happiness and cheer.

What else could you want from a Middle-Grade book designed for boys and girls with grey hair?

Honestly, this is one of the better YA books. It's pretty bare-bones. It tells the story of how this little boy became Father Christmas, but does it in all the modern Young Adult style. I might have really preferred THIS as
Desi (Pastel Pages)
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middlegrade
I AM CRYING.
I AM NOT OKAY.
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING.
This book is all about a boy named Christmas, and how he became Santa. It explains why we put goodies in our stockings, why we call him "Father Christmas, why he comes down a chimney, and so much more! I thought it would be a fun, light read. But man, I was not prepared for that part before the ending. I had to stop what I was doing and sit down for a minute to collect myself. This is a Christmas classic. I will be reading it year after year, and I'
Oana Ciurdarean
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a cute and sweet Christmas story! The story of how Santa Claus actually became whom he is. Wonderfully written, a great novel for both children and adults during the magical time of the year.
Anna (Ink of Books)
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bücherregal
This was so unbelievable and cute and magical! Love it!
Nat
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
“An impossibility is just a possibility you don’t understand yet.”
Lubinka Dimitrova
I'm not exactly the sentimental type of person who believes Christmas to be a magical place where we get to blissfully live for a month at the end of each year, away from everyday troubles and prosaic worries. So I rarely choose special readings for this time of the year in order to get "in the Christmas mood". But this year, probably due to the exhaustion from the heavy, both volume- and knowledge-wise books that I read throughout the previous months, I decided to spend some mindless hours read ...more
Vicki
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful audiobook to get right around Christmas. The story is classic feeling and has what I believe will have universal appeal. I loved the narration by Stephen Fry. It was perfect for the story. What a great story to celebrate the season and it is oozing with charm and emotion.

I was so happy to find this audiobook on Blogging for Books and receive it in order to provide an honest review.

This will be a new tradition in our house, listening to this over the week leading into Christma
Jessica
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly charming story for young readers (or for a great read aloud) about the Boy Who Would Be Santa Claus. As you all know, I'm always on the lookout for Christmas books, and was very pleased to have an advance copy of this sent to me. I liked the whimsical tone (too often Christmas stories get very heavy, or even creepy), and the very interesting mythology of this one.

Also, I would like to have a gingerbread room.

Skip
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A heart-warming, whimsical story of an 11-year old Finnish boy named Nikolas, who becomes Father Christmas through tragedy and triumph, supported by his two BFFs: Miika and Blitzen. With some magic thrown in for good measure.

An impossibility is just a possibility you don't understand yet.

Fun, but if you don't believe me, try others: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfVpT...

Just reserved the next one in the series.
Michelle (MichelleBookAddict)
Boy Christmas

"It was the best!" So says my 9 year old niece. We enjoyed reading this together and now my other niece is reading this too.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Was having a bit of an emotional melt down during a pain flare up and I needed something sweet and easy to focus on. So I browsed through my library's eCatalogue and downloaded the audiobook of this narrated by Stephen Fry.

I don't normally like audiobooks. Because (a) I am very picky about the narrator and their accent, (b) I don't like that the narrator gets to decide where emphasis should be placed etc., (c) I don't like it when narrators give accents to characters as I like to imagine a char
Trish
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hm ... I will freely admit that I only decided to read this Christmas story because Stephen Fry is narrating the audio version and I can't resist the man. Problem is, no matter how great his narration, it can't make an ordinary book extraordinary.

We follow little Nikolas as he lives with his father. They are poor and often have to starve so when the opportunity presents itself, his father goes on an expedition to find elves and make a lot of money. Only, he doesn't return and Nikolas is stranded
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
Have you ever wondered how Father Christmas became Father Christmas? I mean, how did a human come to live with Elves anyway? And how did the idea of delivering presents to children all across the world on Christmas Eve come about? Matt Haig takes us on a magical journey through the snowy landscape of Finland to find out how a boy called Christmas became the big man in the red suit that we all know and love as we discover the story behind the magic.

Nikolas lives in a small one-roomed cottage, exi
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
I enjoyed this little novel more than The Humans. The paper edition has cute illustrations (thanks to Chris Mould), but the audio version narrated by Stephen Fry it’s great for children (and grownups)!

Fav Quotes:

An impossibility is just a possibility you don’t understand yet.

Perhaps a wish was just a hope with a better aim. If you wished hard enough maybe all kinds of things could happen.

Zoë ☆
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was so cute! Loved that Stephen Fry was the narrator!

• The Christmasaurus
  • The Night I Met Father Christmas: THE Christmas classic from bestselling author Ben Miller
  • The Christmasaurus and the Winter Witch
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Letters from Father Christmas
  • Olguța și un bunic de milioane
  • Neiti Kymenen ihmeellinen talo
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1)
  • Hukkuneet
  • Father Christmas’s Fake Beard
  • The Snow Dragon: The perfect book for cold winter's nights, and cosy Christmas mornings.
  • The Miracle on Ebenezer Street
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to impossible places, #1)
  • When Santa Fell to Earth
  • Christmas in the Stable
  • The Cat Who Wanted to Go Home
  • Snøsøsteren
  • A Pinch of Magic (A Pinch of Magic, #1)
Matt Haig was born in Sheffield, England in1975. He writes books for both adults and children, often blending the worlds of domestic reality and outright fantasy, with a quirky twist. His bestselling novels are translated into 28 languages. The Guardian has described his writing as 'delightfully weird' and the New York Times has called him 'a novelist of great talent' whose writing is 'funny, rive ...more

Christmas (4 books)
  • The Girl Who Saved Christmas (Christmas, #2)
  • Father Christmas and Me (Christmas, #3)
  • The Truth Pixie (Christmas Series, #3.5)