Start by marking “In the Waning Light” as Want to Read:

In the Waning Light

Two decades after her sister’s brutal attack and murder, Meg Brogan has finally found happiness…or so it appears. A bestselling true-crime writer, Meg has money, fame, and a wealthy fiancé. But when a television-show host presses her to tackle the one story everyone claims she cannot write—the story of her own family’s destruction—her perfect life shatters.

Determined to fi

Published November 3rd 2015 by Montlake Romance

Start your review of In the Waning Light
A.
4.25 Stars

Nice save, nice.

For a minute I thought Loreth Anne White was going on my shitlist. The book almost ended in disaster. Almost.

And that would be a tragedy because that woman can write. Her writing is so atmospheric, so passionate, so intense, so angsty.

No one, and I mean no one writes romantic suspense better than her.

To say I am obsessed with this author is an understatement.

I love her thiiiiiiiiiiis much!

Melissa

I really feel like I stumbled across something special with this one. Right from the start, I just knew this was going to be great. There was a dark undertone, a rainy and almost dreary setting, suspicious circumstances and characters that I instantly connected with. Not to mention, lost love and the potential for a second chance.

Meg is a popular true crime writer, but she’s never told the most important story. The story that has ultimately cost her her entire family. In a last ditch ef
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

In the Waning Light
was hard to put down, I finished it one day! It was an emotional, gripping, and suspenseful mystery; a second chance romance filled with longing, and hope.

The brutal murder of her sister, Sherry, tore Meg’s family to shreds twenty-two years ago, but Meg survived and from outward appearances, thrived. She’s a successful writer, detailing true crime with all the tragedy, and final justice that encompasses a murder solved. Inwardly, though, Meg has issues with intimacy
Jonetta
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

True crime writer Meg Brogan decides to return to her childhood home in Shelter Bay, Oregon after an 18-year absence. She's going to write the story of her sister Sherry's murder to bring her own closed-off emotions to rest. However, rather than write about a case that was supposedly solved, Meg finds that she's resurrecting more than her own emotions...possibly a case that was never truly solved.

This story effectively combined mystery, suspense, romance and atmosphere to create an extremely in
Duchess Nicole
My second book by Loreth Anne White, and a new go-to for Suspense with a dash of romance. The romance is always intermingled with some pretty heavy subject matter, so it's definitely not the light and fluffy sort.

In this book, the heroine is a true crime writer with her own true crime story waiting for her to tell. When her fear of commitment leads her fiancee to step back from their relationship, she feels led to close that chapter of her life. She goes back to her small harbor town where she
✨Susan✨
This was a pretty good murder mystery with some high velocity parts and had suspense sprinkled on and off throughout. Parts had me on the edge of my seat and then other parts were predictable. The romance was a bit forced and I found myself skipping the love scenes. All in all a good mystery thriller when the pace picked up.
ȷαεlα
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a journey, full of suspense!

I'm all about second chances, and I enjoyed the whole book while reading, from page 1, couldn't read fast enough. It was all captivating, the place where it took place, the descriptions, the story, where everyone had something to hide, putting the past to rest, bring justice to light and of course the love. Meg and Blake, the forever-burning love...

Sheyla ✎
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

"The ways in which we deceive ourselves . . . the stories we tell others to hide from our own truths . . ."

In the Waning Light is another great book by Loreth Anne White. She has a way of making the story exciting while making me doubt my suspects a bunch of times. Every time I was sure I knew who was the culprit, some twist made me look in a different direction.

The book starts with Meg Brogan, a famous author who writes true-crimes, going back to her home in Shelter Bay. She wants to write
Cindy
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From page one you are pulled into a captivating story that takes hold of your mind and catapults you through such an emotional journey to finding the truth about a murder that happened over twenty years ago.

Loreth Anne White  has such an intelligent way of telling a story. I've always thought her voice was unique and In the Waning Light proves that still to be true.

I'm not going to speak much about the actual story – the blurb gives a good description – as it would give away too many secrets t
Stephen Clynes
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Meg Brogan is a true-crime writer but her new book will be the ultimate challenge for her. 22 years ago her sister was murdered and Meg’s memory of that time is very patchy. So she returns to the coastal town of Shelter Bay to research her book and hopefully recover her memories and solve the mystery of who killed her sister.

In the Waning Light is a mystery with some romance woven into the plot. I liked how this novel explored how people deal with grief and how it is different for everyone. I li
Quynh
If you're in the mood for a great mystery/suspense with a bit of romance, then cozy up for a page-turning book. This kept me guessing right up until the last few chapters on who the bad guy was.

Meg Brogan left Shelter Bay two decades ago after the murder of her older sister and the subsequent deaths of her father and mother. Now she's a true crime writer, picking stories she wants to tell. Finding herself difficult to commit to her fiancé, she decides to go back to her roots and tell the story
-ya
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Set in the coastal town of Oregon, the novel is well-written with a nice balance of mystery and second chance at love. It is worth checking out if you are in a mood for a RS.
CL
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After the brutal murder of her sister many years ago Meg now returns to the place it all started to tell her sisters story. But the good people of Shelter Bay do not want the many secrets of their town to be told. Some people will do anything to keep those secrets hidden including murder. But can Meg trust the people she has known most of her life. When she returns she reconnects with an old love, Blake, who she thought she was over. As she gets closer to the truth Blake will do all that he can ...more
Susan Crowe
Yep, another one. I'm sick of every book I attempt to read or listen to are full of f-bombs. Call me a prude if you must. I didn't even finish this one and that's a shame because the narrator, Tanya Eby is my most favorite female narrator.
Farah
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read, the journey to the discovering of the perpetrators was suspenseful, intriguing and just a touch of creepy.
Joanne Robertson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Loreth Anne White is a new author for me that I only discovered a few weeks ago when her last book A Dark Lure was on sale and I thought, why not at that price? And I loved it, so was very excited to get an ARC of her newest novel via netgalley.
Meg is a well respected real crime author, living the dream with a rich and handsome fiance, Jonah. Whilst appearing on a chat show she is asked about the book she hasn't written, that of the murder of her sister Sherry 22 years ago. Meg was a witness to
Anita
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

In the Waning Light is a wonderful, dark, mystery with romance. It has all the elements for a 5 star read, an excellent cast of would be baddies that keep you guessing to the very end and a second chance romance.

Megan was 13, almost 14, when her sister, Sherry, was raped and murdered. Meg was found almost dead that night. The man that everyone believed killed Sherry, Ty, is killed by Meg's father. Her mother commits sui
Cab
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, crime, audible
I got this book from Kindle Unlimited and it had the audible included to I listened to it instead of reading with my eyes. I can't say much about the narrator because I listened at 1.25x speed. I can say that at that speed the narration was easy to follow and it kept me distracted while I was riding my bike on the indoor trainer.
The story itself was an interesting mystery. There were a couple slow spots but I enjoyed the story and really couldn't have guessed who the killer was until the last c
Vanessa theJeepDiva
I’m a little picky about my romantic suspense reads. I need them to keep me guessing motives and suspects at every turn. The small towns where everyone keeps their neighbor close always makes for an interesting setting. These people will cover for their brethren. They stick together til the end. Shelter Bay, Oregon happens to be that place. Twenty-two years ago their was a horrific rape and murder of one of their golden girls. Sherry had everything going for her that summer. It only took one lie ...more
Trish R.
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Awesome romantic/thriller/murder/mystery..

So, I started this book and became bored, read 3 or 4 books, then decided to finish this one. I’m so glad I did. Even though the author is so long winded and tells you about stupid things that aren’t necessary it was a great story.

It was a story about a murder that took place 22 years ago and the sister came back to town to tell the story and all the people who didn’t want that to happen. There were some fabulous characters in this book, and some really
Dísir
The idyllic small town carries dark secrets that Meg Brogan is about to unleash and no one but her old friend and flame Blake Sutton is supportive of her decision to do that. As Meg and Blake struggle with their attraction and commitment to each other, the can of worms she has forced open has also set in motion a juggernaut of events that eventually puts their lives at stake.

Loreth Anne White's standalone novels have been impressive so far and this is no different, even if it's truly hard to li
Malina Skrobosinski
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highly-recommend
Another great book by Loreth Anne White

Unlike her other book 'A Dark Lure' I found that the character development did not distract from the plot. This time around you learn about the characters as the plot begins to thicken. This was a pleasant surprise as I had my doubts when starting this book. Meg, is portrayed as somewhat of an enigma. Her life in Seattle is turned upside down when the demons from her past won't allow her to commit to the future. In desperation she flees back to Shelter Bay
Cindy Wilkerson

This isn’t bad by any means, I just didn’t connect with it like I did her Angie Pallorino series.
I enjoyed the writing style of the author and the complex characters that she weaves. I really liked the hero in this story; he was a genuinely good guy, making the best of his lot in life. The author didn't portray him as a manho and there is absolutely no OW drama in this story.

What I didn't enjoy so much was the longer separation before the second chance romance. Almost a quarter of a century is along time. I appreciated the fact that the h went on to have fulfilling life, professionally, re
Lorna
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good mystery from this author. Unsolved mystery from the past stirs up all sorts of problems for a true crime writer. Problems because she’s been gone from the small town a long time and the person murdered was her sister. Also included in the town is her old boyfriend and his young son. People don’t want her there and make it known to her even if it’s her own hometown. All sorts of people could be the culprit and the writer is determined to figure the mystery out. Meanwhile the culprit ...more
MBR
Meggie Brogan returns to her hometown of Shelter Bay because she wants to prove that she has indeed left her past behind. The past that involves the brutal murder of her sister Sherry, a murder that had rocked and torn asunder the idyllic town where she had grown up in. The murder that had splintered her family, having now left her all alone in this world, except for the man who wants to make her his, if only she would let him.

A true crime writer, Meggie has never broken the cardinal rule of not
Tom Mc Kenna
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 Stars.
Bec
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to the audiobook to and from work so it took a long time, given I had time off over Christmas. I enjoyed the story, a little bit of suspense with some romance thrown in.
Pat
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just had to give this 5 stars. It was such a good mystery with good strong characters and a cracking plot that really kept you on the edge of your seat.

Meg Brogan, a successful true crime author, returns to her home town of Shelter Bay 22 years after her sister, Sherry, was brutally raped and murdered. Meg is going to write Sherry's story and finally put the ghosts of her past to rest. But while her other books are about stories that already have an ending, this story is not so clear cut.

On re
Tracy T.
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was really a pretty good mystery. It had me guessing all the way to the end. (audible review)

I liked the characters Meg and Blake. They were interesting. The romance part was not as prevalent as the mystery portion of the book, which was okay with me because it made the romance part better not being rushed and forced. It was a gradual connection between the two. There was a sex scene, nicely written not erotica.

I didn't care for Blake's kid too much. He was somewhat of a brat the pouting wa
Book Series Chara...: In the Waning Light 1 2 Mar 24, 2016 08:18AM

• Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • I See You (Criminal Profiler #2)
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler, #1)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • Forgotten Legacy (Singing River Legacy #2)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • The Shark (The Forgotten Files, #1)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • The Last Move
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • The Sound of Rain
  • The Weight of Silence (Nicole Foster Thriller #2)
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Lying Next to Me
Loreth Anne White is an award-winning, bestselling author of romantic suspense, thrillers, and mysteries.

A three-time RITA finalist, she has also won the Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award, the National Readers’ Choice Award, and the Romantic Crown for Best Romantic Suspense and Best Book Overall, in addition to being a Booksellers’ Best finalist, a multiple Daphne Du Maurier Award finalist,