Start by marking “The Killing of Polly Carter” as Want to Read:
The Killing of Polly Carter

The Killing of Polly Carter

(Death in Paradise #2)

An original story from the creator and writer of the hit BBC One TV series, Death in Paradise, featuring on-screen favourite detective, DI Richard Poole.

Supermodel Polly Carter was famed for her looks and party-girl lifestyle. Now she's dead, apparently having thrown herself from the clifftop near her home on the island of Saint-Marie. Those who knew her say Polly would ne
Published December 3rd 2015 by MIRA (first published December 1st 2015)

Blair
I don't know if this book was better than the first, or if I really needed to read something like it at this particular time, or whether I've been unconsciously missing the original Death in Paradise crew - or maybe it was simply that this is the closest I'll get to a Caribbean beach holiday this winter (or the rest of the year, for that matter). But while I had reservations about its predecessor, A Meditation on Murder, this outing for DI Richard Poole and friends was simply fantastic fun, and ...more
Mark
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
So once again we return to the Caribbean Island of Saint Marie were Richard Poole leads the local police team as the quintessential Englishman instead of an islander.
This time Poole has got two cases. The first one about a former Model living on the island who falls to her death but Richard Poole as always sees more than the average cop and quickly finds it not a suicide but a murder. suspects galore.
The second case would be his mother who arrives in Saint Marie and everything points to the fact
Trish
Enjoyable enough, but the further we get in the TV show from the original cast, the harder it is to go back. It was particularly hard in this one as Richard's mother was around, knowing how he finally leaves the series. So I'm thinking its probably best to think of this as a general cozy novel, than a Death in Paradise one.
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gem from the creator of TV’s “Death in Paradise” series

When DI Richard Poole – he of the ‘dark woollen suit, polished shoes, a white shirt and a tie’ on the Caribbean island of Saint-Marie – is faced with the suspected suicide of top global supermodel Polly Carter, little does he suspect the tangled web of intrigue that he will face in the coming days. Add to this the prospect of his always-immaculately-turned-out mother arriving on the island within the next couple of hours, and the reader ca
Dan
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Over the past few years I've got used to January bringing a tropical paradise and lots of murders in the brilliant Death in Paradise. The 2016 cast is almost unrecognisable from the original but this second book, like the first, takes us right back to the original cast with Richard Poole (played by Ben Miller on TV) being the remarkable English detective.

Famous supermodel Polly Carter apparently commits suicide but when the Honore Police arrive it doesn't take them too long to realise it was mu
Verity W
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

This is the second Death in Paradise novel, but the first that I've read. And it was great fun. It rattles along with personal problems for DI Richard Poole to fix as well as the murder to solve. I had some suspicions about who the killer was early on (and was proved right) but my concerns about how the execution of the solution would be handled were unfounded. I know that doesn't sound very clear, but I don't want to give too much away.
Ellie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of Death In Paradise, this was never going to be a disappointment to me. It captures the essence of the main characters of the first three series perfectly. And as neither Kris Marshall or Ardal O'Hanlon can hold a candle to Ben Miller when it comes to bumbling-but-brilliant fish-out-of-water DIs, a book that allows me to conjure up memories of the wonderful Richard Poole is quite simply a gem.
Lee Allen
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DI Richard Poole and the team return to solve another intriguing murder mystery on the island of Saint Marie, in the second novel from the creator of the BBC series ‘Death in Paradise’.

Richard is still stranded on Saint Marie, suffering its many discomforts and indignities. To make matters worse, his mother is due to visit and he is scheduled to pick her up from the airport. But he is soon thrown into a new case – ex-supermodel Polly Carter has fallen from a cliff, minutes after declaring she’s
Irrlicht
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of the written series. I've actually already read the first one (A Meditation on Murder) a while back, but that was at a time when I a) had absolutely no time and b) just didn't want to write reviews. I really liked it, though, and I suggest, if you want to read “The Killing of Polly Carter”, you'll start with “A Meditation on Murder” first.

This one was a great read! Unexpected ending, but I completely understood why the killer did what they did. Seriously. If I had been
John Frankham
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
The second Death In Paradise whodunnit from the deviser of the television series. Great good fun.

Well-written, well-plotted, with interesting and believable characters in the police, their families, and the suspects. Wry, humorous, and serious and touching too.

A good denouement. I twice thought I had solved the case before the murderer was revealed, but ....

The GR blurb:

'An original story from the creator and writer of the hit BBC One TV series, Death in Paradise, featuring on-screen favourite d
Pearl
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Killing of Polly Carter written by the very talented Robert Thorogood for me was another wonderful read by one of my favourite authors. I have to say I was introduced to the Unique Detective Inspector Richard Poole on the series [[ASIN:B00IC6STO8 Death in Paradise - Season 1]]. But I have to say I love the books even more as there is so much more detail within the book.
Richard Poole is once again seeking out the truth of what happened to the supermodel Polly Carter but first, he must find ou
Reading Cat
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
This is better than Meditation on Murder. Once again, we have a solid mystery that keeps you guessing, but this time we've added a personal subplot for Poole, and a few more character quirks (like the walkie talkie present from his childhood). I think Thorogood is getting his legs under this series with this one, and since Poole is my favorite Death in Paradise detective, I hope he keeps this trend going for a while. It isn't the best mystery you'll ever read, and the worldbuilding relies a LOT ...more
Jeroen
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first novel the second novel perfectly captures the characters and atmosphere of the Death in Paradise series. The murder mystery is of the same high quality as those in the tv series. The murder appears impossible at first, but is perfectly possible when it is explained at the end. The book, at least my kindle version, was shorter than expected since the last sixty or so pages are an excerpt from the first novel. This means the book ends sooner than expected. Which is not necessarily a ...more
Tom Long
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was predisposed to like Thorogood's book. After all, he created one of my favorite television series, Death in Paradise. Happily I was not disappointed. This is not a thrilling page turner. It embraces the languid pace of an afternoon on a tropical island. The murder puzzle is intriguing but the story is more about the characters, their relationships with one another, and their relationship with the island. It is the kind of book that fans of Agatha or Sayers would enjoy reading in a hammock i ...more
cheryl
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the tv series.Cosy Caribbean murder.

I loved the flashes of humour that runs through the story.The murder and suspects were a La Agatha Christie indeed, but without the fine characterisation nuances that Agatha brings. However,as all the stories take place in the Caribbean and not a cosy Cotswold village there is forgivable a more relaxed vibe,apart from the hero detective.He is anything but.Nice relaxing whodunit.But I did guess the big reveal, despite the twists and turns of the plo
C.G.
Detective Inspector Poole Does It Again!

If such a thing can be said of a story involving murder, adultry, vengeance, and drug addiction... it was thoroughly enjoyable. Thorogood has created a lovably frustrating, and yet brilliant, character in D.I. Poole, and if you enjoy the BBC series, then the books are a must read!
Shankar
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Better than the first book in the series, but there was still some evidence that wasn't revealed until the trademark denouement that made it impossible to deduce the solution.

On the plus side, I think that using Richard Poole as the protagonist is wise. His foibles translate much better to the page than those of his successors.
Kitty
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Delightful, this one. Light as usual and with an extra sweet twist at the end. Pure silly but lovely nothingness, with a crazy complicated-fabricated plot. Should we call it retro-Agatha Christie style? Not to speak of the lovingly rendered, apparent mild case of autism the inspector is supposed to have ;-)
Gingercat
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whilst you may not have read the books, you will probably have heard of the BBC TV series Death in Paradise created by author Robert Thorogood. I love the TV series and, as such, I was in two-minds about reading The Killing of Polly Carter. It is always disappointing when books and TV adaptations differ dramatically and I didn’t want to risk ruining my enjoyment of the TV show. However, I’m a big fan of murder mysteries, so I decided to take on that risk and give the book a go.

Thorogood’s Death
Alan Badcock
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex thriller

The plot had several threads, but mainly concerned the inner workings of the detectives mind. There is a good scattering of humour throughout, which is reflected in the first episodes of the Tv series.
Adam Thomas
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant read, combining an intriguing mystery with delightful humour, especially through the interactions between the Honoré police force. Spoiler: Thorogood also constructs a great final reveal scene, teasing us right to the end when the unexpected culprit is unmasked.
Madame Histoire
I am a fan of the show and the book perfectly restores its universe. Follow the same structure as an episode, although this is a new story which hasn't been put on screen, so one still get the thrill of the murder inquiry.
With the initial cast (and Richard Pool)
Liz Etnyre
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another lovely trip to Saint Marie! - this one with not too much re-recaping. REALLY enjoyed it. 4 stars for the story, +1 just because!
Melinda
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun read.
Liz
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really miss the original Detective Inspector, Richard Poole, so this mystery was a real treat for me. Love the Carribbean setting, and all the twists and red herrings. A fine read.
Janine
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the programme, I decided to give this a shot. I think the TV version of it is better. Saying that this storyline was incredibly sad as well.
Priya
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an amazing read!
Intertwined with hilarious snippets, the writing is well-paced and incredibly witty when comes to the actual mystery.
Barbara
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than his first book, A Meditation on Murder. The story line flowed much better and was an effortless read. If you enjoy the TV series, you will enjoy this book.
Dylan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but a sense of deja vu hangs over the proceedings. The payoff is very satisfying and clever though
Sheridan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the TV series and the book was wonderful also! A little different perspective on Richard than from the TV series. Always tough to portray characters from a book.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 2 13 Jul 26, 2017 10:53AM

• Doctor Who: The Time Machine (Destiny of the Doctor, #11)
  • Doctor Who: The Nemonite Invasion
  • Quantum Leap: The Novel
  • Sherlock Holmes: Adventure of the Creeping Man
  • Doctor Who: The Shining Man
  • Priceless (Kick Keswick, #2)
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan: A Short Story
  • Doctor Who: Storm Warning
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas / Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • The Case of the Baited Hook
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Planet
  • The Queen's Jewels (Murder, She Wrote, #34)
  • The Bloodied Ivy (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe Mysteries #3)
  • Vision of Darkness (D.I.E. Squadron, #1)
  • The Lazarus Prophecy
  • Murder Strikes a Pose (Downward Dog Mystery, #1)
  • Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)
Robert Thorogood is an English screenwriter. He is best known as the creator of the BBC 1 Murder Mystery Series, Death in Paradise.

Robert was educated at Uppingham School in Rutland and read History at Downing College, Cambridge. While at Cambridge, he toured with the university's student comedy troupe Footlights in 1993 and was elected President in 1994. Soon after leaving Cambridge, Robert set u

Death in Paradise (4 books)
  • A Meditation on Murder (Death in Paradise #1)
  • Death Knocks Twice