Start by marking “The Killing of Polly Carter” as Want to Read:
The Killing of Polly Carter

The Killing of Polly Carter (Death in Paradise #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  421 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
An original story from the creator and writer of the hit BBC One TV series, Death in Paradise, featuring on-screen favourite detective, DI Richard Poole.

Supermodel Polly Carter was famed for her looks and party-girl lifestyle. Now she's dead, apparently having thrown herself from the clifftop near her home on the island of Saint-Marie. Those who knew her say Polly would ne
Published December 3rd 2015 by MIRA (first published December 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Killing of Polly Carter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Killing of Polly Carter

Blair
I don't know if this book was better than the first, or if I really needed to read something like it at this particular time, or whether I've been unconsciously missing the original Death in Paradise crew - or maybe it was simply that this is the closest I'll get to a Caribbean beach holiday this winter (or the rest of the year, for that matter). But while I had reservations about its predecessor, A Meditation on Murder, this outing for DI Richard Poole and friends was simply fantastic fun, and ...more
Mark
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
So once again we return to the Caribbean Island of Saint Marie were Richard Poole leads the local police team as the quintessential Englishman instead of an islander.
This time Poole has got two cases. The first one about a former Model living on the island who falls to her death but Richard Poole as always sees more than the average cop and quickly finds it not a suicide but a murder. suspects galore.
The second case would be his mother who arrives in Saint Marie and everything points to the fact
Trish
Enjoyable enough, but the further we get in the TV show from the original cast, the harder it is to go back. It was particularly hard in this one as Richard's mother was around, knowing how he finally leaves the series. So I'm thinking its probably best to think of this as a general cozy novel, than a Death in Paradise one.
Dan
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Over the past few years I've got used to January bringing a tropical paradise and lots of murders in the brilliant Death in Paradise. The 2016 cast is almost unrecognisable from the original but this second book, like the first, takes us right back to the original cast with Richard Poole (played by Ben Miller on TV) being the remarkable English detective.

Famous supermodel Polly Carter apparently commits suicide but when the Honore Police arrive it doesn't take them too long to realise it was mu
Breakaway Reviewers
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A gem from the creator of TV’s “Death in Paradise” series

When DI Richard Poole – he of the ‘dark woollen suit, polished shoes, a white shirt and a tie’ on the Caribbean island of Saint-Marie – is faced with the suspected suicide of top global supermodel Polly Carter, little does he suspect the tangled web of intrigue that he will face in the coming days. Add to this the prospect of his always-immaculately-turned-out mother arriving on the island within the next couple of hours, and the reader ca
Verity W
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
****Copy from NetGalley in return for an honest review****

This is the second Death in Paradise novel, but the first that I've read. And it was great fun. It rattles along with personal problems for DI Richard Poole to fix as well as the murder to solve. I had some suspicions about who the killer was early on (and was proved right) but my concerns about how the execution of the solution would be handled were unfounded. I know that doesn't sound very clear, but I don't want to give too much away.
Ellie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge fan of Death In Paradise, this was never going to be a disappointment to me. It captures the essence of the main characters of the first three series perfectly. And as neither Kris Marshall or Ardal O'Hanlon can hold a candle to Ben Miller when it comes to bumbling-but-brilliant fish-out-of-water DIs, a book that allows me to conjure up memories of the wonderful Richard Poole is quite simply a gem.
John Frankham
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
The second Death In Paradise whodunnit from the deviser of the television series. Great good fun.

Well-written, well-plotted, with interesting and believable characters in the police, their families, and the suspects. Wry, humorous, and serious and touching too.

A good denouement. I twice thought I had solved the case before the murderer was revealed, but ....

The GR blurb:

'An original story from the creator and writer of the hit BBC One TV series, Death in Paradise, featuring on-screen favourite d
Pearl
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Killing of Polly Carter written by the very talented Robert Thorogood for me was another wonderful read by one of my favourite authors. I have to say I was introduced to the Unique Detective Inspector Richard Poole on the series [[ASIN:B00IC6STO8 Death in Paradise - Season 1]]. But I have to say I love the books even more as there is so much more detail within the book.
Richard Poole is once again seeking out the truth of what happened to the supermodel Polly Carter but first, he must find ou
Ceruleancat
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This is better than Meditation on Murder. Once again, we have a solid mystery that keeps you guessing, but this time we've added a personal subplot for Poole, and a few more character quirks (like the walkie talkie present from his childhood). I think Thorogood is getting his legs under this series with this one, and since Poole is my favorite Death in Paradise detective, I hope he keeps this trend going for a while. It isn't the best mystery you'll ever read, and the worldbuilding relies a LOT ...more
Jeroen
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the first novel the second novel perfectly captures the characters and atmosphere of the Death in Paradise series. The murder mystery is of the same high quality as those in the tv series. The murder appears impossible at first, but is perfectly possible when it is explained at the end. The book, at least my kindle version, was shorter than expected since the last sixty or so pages are an excerpt from the first novel. This means the book ends sooner than expected. Which is not necessarily a ...more
Tom Long
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was predisposed to like Thorogood's book. After all, he created one of my favorite television series, Death in Paradise. Happily I was not disappointed. This is not a thrilling page turner. It embraces the languid pace of an afternoon on a tropical island. The murder puzzle is intriguing but the story is more about the characters, their relationships with one another, and their relationship with the island. It is the kind of book that fans of Agatha or Sayers would enjoy reading in a hammock i ...more
Kitty
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Delightful, this one. Light as usual and with an extra sweet twist at the end. Pure silly but lovely nothingness, with a crazy complicated-fabricated plot. Should we call it retro-Agatha Christie style? Not to speak of the lovingly rendered, apparent mild case of autism the inspector is supposed to have ;-)
Gingercat
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whilst you may not have read the books, you will probably have heard of the BBC TV series Death in Paradise created by author Robert Thorogood. I love the TV series and, as such, I was in two-minds about reading The Killing of Polly Carter. It is always disappointing when books and TV adaptations differ dramatically and I didn’t want to risk ruining my enjoyment of the TV show. However, I’m a big fan of murder mysteries, so I decided to take on that risk and give the book a go.

Thorogood’s Death
C.G.
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Inspector Poole Does It Again!

If such a thing can be said of a story involving murder, adultry, vengeance, and drug addiction... it was thoroughly enjoyable. Thorogood has created a lovably frustrating, and yet brilliant, character in D.I. Poole, and if you enjoy the BBC series, then the books are a must read!
Madame Histoire
I am a fan of the show and the book perfectly restores its universe. Follow the same structure as an episode, although this is a new story which hasn't been put on screen, so one still get the thrill of the murder inquiry.
With the initial cast (and Richard Pool)
Adam Thomas
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A brilliant read, combining an intriguing mystery with delightful humour, especially through the interactions between the Honoré police force. Spoiler: Thorogood also constructs a great final reveal scene, teasing us right to the end when the unexpected culprit is unmasked.
Dylan
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but a sense of deja vu hangs over the proceedings. The payoff is very satisfying and clever though
Magnus Mayus
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
pure delight - can't wait for the next installment...
Margaret Rose
Lots of drug use and messed up people.

Read through ILLiad.
Ellen
A great romp! Good read!
Austra
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
Vēl viena jauka atgriešanās pie pazīstamiem personāžiem
Priya
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
What an amazing read!
Intertwined with hilarious snippets, the writing is well-paced and incredibly witty when comes to the actual mystery.
Claire
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book based on a good TV series that brings sunshine into cold wet dark UK winter evenings.
If you like the TV show the book will not disappoint
Barbara
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book more than his first book, A Meditation on Murder. The story line flowed much better and was an effortless read. If you enjoy the TV series, you will enjoy this book.
Simone van den Bergh
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Entertaining
Bunny
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Continuation of the first season

These are good. A little stiff but so is Richard. 😜 it was nice to see where his behaviors came from.
Cleo Bannister
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of the TV series Death in Paradise so was thrilled when I was offered the first in a series of a three book deal the creator signed with MIRA books earlier this year. Having loved reading a totally new story featuring the English Detective Richard Poole on the Caribbean Island of Saint-Mare in A Meditation On Murder, I was delighted to be offered a copy of The Killing of Polly Carter to review.

In this story Richard Poole is summoned to the scene of an apparent suicide whilst simu
Jody
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

The 'Death in Paradise' novels focus on Richard Poole, an English detective who is sent to the sunny Caribbean to lead a team of police people and solve murder cases over there. When famous supermodel Polly Carter is found dead at the bottom of a cliff, Richard and his team are asked to investigate whether it was a suicide or a murder. There are quite a number of suspects who might or not might have anything to do with Polly
Joanne D'Arcy
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am lucky enough to have received the second Death in Paradise novel via netgalley, which I was delighted to accept and even more delighted to read.

The first A Meditation of Murder sets the scene and characters for those who have not watched the original television series. This the second, I think is very much more comfortable as a novel than the first, Robert Thorogood seems to have found his writing way.

Clearly from the novel's title we know the victim's name, so Polly Carter's death comes as
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page count 2 13 Jul 26, 2017 10:53AM
  • The Ties That Bind
  • The Quickening
  • The Bloodied Ivy
  • The Case of the Baited Hook
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas/Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • In My House
  • Breakfast with the Borgias
  • Bad Faith (Sister Agatha, #1)
  • The Queen's Jewels (Murder, She Wrote, #34)
  • The Lazarus Prophecy
  • Kuldi
  • Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)
  • Vision of Darkness (D.I.E. Squadron, #1)
  • Curtains for Three (Nero Wolfe, #18)
  • Murder Strikes a Pose (Downward Dog Mystery, #1)
  • The Hundred and Ninety-Nine Steps
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
  • The Secret by the Lake
Robert Thorogood is an English screenwriter. He is best known as the creator of the BBC 1 Murder Mystery Series, Death in Paradise.

Robert was educated at Uppingham School in Rutland and read History at Downing College, Cambridge. While at Cambridge, he toured with the university's student comedy troupe Footlights in 1993 and was elected President in 1994. Soon after leaving Cambridge, Robert set u
More about Robert Thorogood

Death in Paradise (4 books)
  • A Meditation on Murder
  • Death Knocks Twice
  • Murder in the Caribbean

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)