Start by marking “Thor Vol. 2: Who Holds the Hammer?” as Want to Read:
Thor Vol. 2: Who Holds the Hammer?

Thor Vol. 2: Who Holds the Hammer?

(Thor (2014) #2)

Collects Thor (2014) #6-8, Annual 1, What If? (1977) #10.

Who is the new Thor? That's the question on everyone's lips. Most especially the original Thor! And now he starts to narrow down the list of suspects. Meanwhile, tensions continue to flare between the All-Mother and All-Father, Malekith the Dark Elf forges his most dangerous pact yet, and the new Thor prepares to fac
Published July 28th 2015 by Marvel (first published July 21st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Thor Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor Vol. 2

Start your review of Thor Vol. 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
Anne

There's not much to this volume, is there?
Still, the 3 issues of Thor were good, and the big reveal was quite dramatic.

description

In the background, Malekith is plotting to take over every world connected to Yggdrasil, and Mr. Minotaur is plotting to strip them of their resources.
TEAMWORK!

description

But the majority of the story is Thor (the dude) trying to figure out the identity of Thor (the chick). I thought he was pretty decent about the whole thing. Last time around, he was a bit ragey and over-the-t
Sam Quixote
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-comics-2015
So here it is at last: Jason Aaron is finally done teasing readers with the identity of the new Thor as she removes her helm and reveals herself to be…

.... Deadpool! Just kidding - as if I’d spoil that here! It is a surprise though and I loved the choice of who the new God of Thunder really is.

The story in this volume is a bit thin as Aaron basically puts everything on the big reveal at the end to keep readers going. Thor Classic (or Prince Odinson of Asgard, as he’s calling himself now) has a
Kemper
The identity of the new Thor is finally revealed, and it’s….*gasp* WHO?!?

Just kidding. This came out almost 5 years ago so that info has already fallen so far into the realm of common nerd knowledge even the reveal of the cast of the next Thor movie gave it away.

Since this a modern comic we can’t go more than 15 minutes without changing the title slightly and releasing a new #1, and with Secret Wars looming this version of Thor had a limited shelf life. Still, I very much enjoyed this particular
Shannon
The female Thor saga continues with a cast of developing villains. The Asgardian extended family gets involved in the conflict and we find out the identity of the female Thor.

One problem.

The latter third of the tale changes dramatically in artwork and some of the tales go to goofy, breaking up the flow IMO.

That said, still a fun read but not as well plotted as the first one.

OVERALL GRADE: B.
Gavin
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't get the Annual because I read individual issues on MU. That being said, there's great stuff here, and I honestly got a bit emotional at a few parts, which surprises me, but not in a bad way. Good for Aaron.

If Aaron's Titania surrendering to Thor last volume was heavy handed and stupid, the female armies of the Odinson who come to support Thor was the perfect way to make up for it it and have a more genuine "girl power" moment that felt far more authentic and believable to me at least.

I
Chris
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marvel
The main story in Who Holds The Hammer? is just as good as it was in The Goddess Of Thunder, but unfortunately there isn't enough of it to earn this volume a higher rating. If you're a fan of the new female Thor then this volume is still a must-buy, but be aware that you get less bang for your buck this time around.

Opening the volume is the Thor Annual #1, containing three individual stories by three different creative teams. For me, this was a case of "Two out of three ain't bad". Most notably,
Sesana
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is where we find out who Thor is. And the reveal is, thankfully, very nicely handled. It wasn't obvious, to me, who she was until very shortly before her identity was revealed, but the pieces all fit into place. And I very much like her as Thor. (view spoiler) ...more
Chad
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jason Aaron's run on Thor. He managed to make a very uninteresting character interesting. He does reveal who the new Thor is. This book felt like a cash grab though. There are only 3 regular issues in the book, plus some filler. The stories from the annual are boring and pointless. And then there's a What If? reprint issue in the back.
Paul E. Morph
Totally called it!

Still cried at the ending, though...
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
3.5 stars.

I had high hopes for this one and if this was just the Thor story, it would've definitely been 4 stars. Unfortunately, 70% of the annual and the "What If?" Story dragged this down for me so much.

I really, really liked the story of Thor taking on the Destroyer. I loved the dialogue, how powerful she looked and I adored Freyja's influence. She is such a powerful character in this book and in Angela: Asgard's Assassin and (while I know it'll never happen) I am 100% down for a Freyja sol
Sarah Churchill
Now that's more like it.

It's still very much 'all girls together' but in a much less heavy handed way that worked this time around. I love the development between Odin and Freyja, and there were some nice cameos that didn't distract from the main characters and plot.

The big reveal was done really well; I'd managed to avoid spoilers so it was still a bit of a guess until the last minute, mainly because of all the red herrings they kept throwing about.

My only criticism is there wasn't quite enoug
Scott
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

"Perhaps trouble is what she is after - in which case . . . raise Hel, Goddess of Thunder, and let the rest be damned!" - Valkyrie

Faster-paced and funnier than Volume 1, Who Holds the Hammer? features a slew of speical guest stars (to quote Freyja - "Am I right, ladies?") arriving in the nick of time for an ass-kicking finale. Also of note were two of the three short stories, both co-starring the Warriors Three, that conclude the book -- an initiation / 'rite of passage' challenge invol
emily
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 2015
We know who Thor is now and I LOVE IT!!! Okay so I knew ahead of time because I looked it up since I'm really impatient and just wanted to know, but the reveal was done really nicely in the comics. I am loving new Thor so much. This volume was bumped down to 4 stars instead of 5 because there were only 3 issues in this I think, plus a few extra stories by different writers and artists in the back. Which was cool I guess, but I wanted more from the actual storyline than extra material (especially ...more
James DeSantis
If I was to rate Thor series since the start on just art, this shit is stunning. LIKE FUCK MAN the art is truly amazing shit.

This is a really short volume. Focusing on just the major issues of the plot we finally know who Thor is (though it's super easy to see coming) but it's nice to know it now. I also really enjoyed the battle, it was fantastic, the art truly makes each battle epic as fuck. I couldn't get over the one scene where Thor is standing there, blood soaked, and is still standing re
Jessica
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous, of course. This is the big reveal of who has lifted Thor's hammer (spoiled by Entertainment Weekly like a year ago. Thanks, EW!), and even though I knew who it was, it was still great. And I loved Thor running around with his list of lady heroes that it could be. I can't wait for the next one!
Nicky
This is a bit of a bitty comic, which annoyed me. There’s a couple of issues dealing with the ongoing story, but there’s also a lot of extra stuff — a short one about Thor sometime way in the future, a side story with Thor’s friends, one about Thor having a drinking contest, and then a “what if” about Jane Foster finding Mjolnir originally. That last one is especially difficult if you’re not familiar with Thor’s canon, because it really requires comparison with the original/referenced issues of ...more
Malum
May 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The big reveal of who the new Thor is was spoiled for me long ago by some online news source or another, and so this issue-which concerns itself with finding out that mystery-lost a lot of its impact for me now that I have gotten around to reading it. I will say that I am still loving the fantastic artwork. I did, however, have a couple of problems:

I was waiting for some big reveal showing how Odin was possessed/controlled/Loki in disguise, but none ever came. So, unless I missed something somew
K.T. Katzmann
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People Who Use Library Cards Instead of Money
Shelves: comics
 photo 26k9Td7_zpshuqnglce.gif
Put it back in the oven; it's not done yet.

It takes a lot to squander the good will I have when a minotaur reveals the simplest and greatest supervillain plan I've ever read in comics. Unfortunately, Thor #2 does that.

Let's be clear, in case you missed my review of Thor, Vol. 1: The Goddess of Thunder. Summing up, I'm fine with the new direction of the book. Also, I do love the reveal at the end of Thor's identity. That's not my issue.

The book is just too damned light on content.

I understand
Nicolo Yu
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comixology
This a short collection, only three issue, an annual, and an old but relevant story for padding up the page count.

#6 - The Minotaur CEO had a key role in the last story arc, and he gets a timely origin story in this chapter. In an effort to solve the mystery of the identity of the new Thor, the Odinson shows a new side to him, as a detective.

#7 - Thor versus the Destroyer! This battle is a slobber knocker. It does stylistically sing like the one with the frost giants in the previous arc. This o

Blindzider
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This volume only has a few issues in it. Basically, the original Thor confronts the new one to find out who she is. The reader does find out and that's really about it. There's a little more scheming from Malekith but there's so little that you can't figure out what he's doing. The Goddess Thor continues to show her determination in battle but you really don't know much more about her character.

The rest of the volume is the Thor annual with more stories about the different versions of Thor that
RG
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good follow up with a conclusion i yo who Thor is. Kinda didnt see it coming, had my own assumptions which didnt come true. Great story telling, artwork was great and Thor was exciting. My only complaint was.how short the novel was. Alot of filler torwards the back.
Andrew
So this series is over and now I have to wade through Secret Wars for my Thor fix? Damn it Marvel.

The story really wasn't the best, but it was well done. The art is what really kept me going.
Brad
This volume wraps up the first big arc of the Goddess of Thunder series in a neat, tight little knot. Our Roxxon story continues with mining rights being won in Svartelfheim from Malekith, SHIELD getting their dirty hands involved, and the identity of our Goddess of Thunder being revealed. It's a touch anti-climactic after the first volume, but it is a solid wrap-up all the same.

This volume suffers, though, from the publication of the Goddess of Thunder Annual. Rather than one over-stuffed stor
Ryan Stewart
"Remember my lady, that you stand for more than yourself now. And you need never stand alone again."

Great Odin's raven, I'm enjoying this far more than expected. I should never doubt Jason Aaron.

This volume is pretty light on pages but dense with quality action, dialogue and character development. I actually feel for these characters.

The mystery surrounding the identity of the new Thor--and her journey of self-discovery--is a satisfying one that is impressively deep and connects us with her even
Jack Stark
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic
I am shock. I would never have guessed the new Thor was... well, no spoilers from me.
Jonathan
This volume carries the torch from the last one quite nicely.

(view spoiler)
Mike
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, am I to believe that Marvel is employing a WWE star as a comics writer? Not just on Drax, but now also a short story writer on a Thor Annual? Alright Axel, make a believer out of me...

But first, Jason Aaron kills me with a heart-tugger of a story. Damn those granddaughters.

Then Noelle Stevenson (of the acclaimed Lumberjanes) tells a tale of the recently-gender-swapped Thor that is perfectly in line with her oeuvre (translation: it's good, I like it).

Finally we get to the goods: wrestl
Lauren Stoolfire
Volume 2 continues the story of the new Thor in issues six through eight. Odin continues to use his brother to determine her identity. There are quite a few good cameos, even Coulson briefly appears. The Odinson tries to work through his list of candidates, only to realize he has been unsuccessful in determining the identity of the new Thor. By the end of the final issue, he still doesn't know her true identity, but the reader does. I had already been spoiled, but it was definitely interesting t ...more
The Sapphic Nerd
Other than the fact that half the book isn't actually about this Thor, I love it. She's funny, a badass, confident, and a heck of a lot more interesting to me than Odinson (but maybe I haven't read the right Thor books). I like how they reveal Thor's identity as well. Great writing and art for the first half.

Thanks to the Secret Wars event, the second half of the book is about various people who've been called "Thor" and is useless unless you're a fan of anything Thor-related.

The five stars are
Travis Duke
The new Thor is finally revealed in the volume. Aaron is a great writer for Thor, he give the series more of a serious tone and drops the whole "barbaric dumb Thor" character. This volume only contains a few issues of the new Thor series and the rest of the book is single stories and retro stories. The main story with Thor coming to terms with losing the hammer and accepting his role is well done ( 4 stars) the other stories did not interest me except the grand dad Thor story.

• Angela: Asgard's Assassin: Priceless
  • Venom by Donny Cates, Vol. 3: Absolute Carnage
  • Avengers, Volume 6: Infinite Avengers
  • Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die
  • Venom: War of the Realms
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Thor (2014) (2 books)