Start by marking “Food52 Vegan: 60 Vegetable-Driven Recipes for Any Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Food52 Vegan: 60 Vegetable-Driven Recipes for Any Kitchen

Food52 Vegan: 60 Vegetable-Driven Recipes for Any Kitchen

An essential collection of hassle-free, vibrant vegan recipes, from the author behind Food52's wildly popular The New Veganism and Vegan Lunch columns.

Omnivore or vegan (or anywhere in between), we’re all looking for memorable, flavorful dishes to cook for ourselves and the people we care about. If those recipes happen to be healthful, nourishing, and friendly to vegetaria
Published September 22nd 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about Food52 Vegan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food52 Vegan

Teddy
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I have been vegan for over 25 years, so I have collected a lot of vegan cookbooks over the years. They are an addiction so I rarely turn down the chance to review a new one. So, I jumped at the chance to get the ebook version of 'Food 52 Vegan'
It covers some of the basics but I would not call it a book for beginner vegans. It does have some good recipes.
I made the Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes, Kale, and Pesto Vinaigrette. It was good but not a favorite. I also made the Snow Pea, Cabbage, and
Khulood
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015, arc
Great recipes that you'll find delicious, wither you are vegan or not. Some are already on my favorites list, with ingredient that I can find easily. Haven't tried the ones with tempeh yet because I haven't been finding it lately (its tough finding vegan products where I live), but the ones I've tried were yummy.

This will make a great addition to any cooking collection, and I'm definitely getting the hardcover copy.

*This arc was kindly provided by Ten Speed Press via NetGalley in exchange for a
Reet Champion
Oh my gosh. Food52 Vegan had me drooling on the pages. There are so many yummy pictures and recipes in this book I can’t wait to dive in and try whipping one of them up. When the box arrived I ripped that sucker open and immediately started turning pages like a mad woman. After a week of eating potatoes and sausage links I have been pretty much down for anything new to fit into my crazy schedule and, well, Food52 Vegan delivers. And now with things starting to slow down a little bit I totally se ...more
C.E. G
Mar 06, 2016 is currently reading it
Beautiful pictures and fairly simple recipes.

What I've tried so far that I'll be making again and again:

Creamy Tomato Soup (p 45)
Cauliflower and Oyster Mushroom Tacos (p 105) (adding lots of Cholula was made them extra delicious)
Tempeh and Sweet Potato Hash (p 15)

Other things I've tried, all of which were OK to good, but I probably won't make again:

Muesli (p 3)
Coconut Quinoa Porridge with Toasted Almonds (p 4)
Green Smoothie with Avocado (p 7)
Date Nut Bread (p 11)
Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potat
Whitney
Beautiful photography and accessible recipes. Doesn’t get political about going vegan which I appreciate but there was a lot of gluten subs I would have to make and so I think only a handful of recipes will stick w my family
Doris
Nothing particularly novel here, and could vegans *please* get over putting cashews in everything?
Zuzana
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. This is a vegan bible for the beginners or the people who think being vegan means missing out on good food.

Packed with yummy recipes and gorgeous pics which makes you want to get cooking.

Cannot wait to try the recipes.

Janet
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Originally I had marked about 20 recipes to save and make, but in the end, only four made the cut. Good stuff, but nothing I couldn't find online or dream up myself.
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Out of all of the recipes, I will only be making two. The star ingredients aren't foods I tend to cook or buy.

3/5stars
Diane
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
Not for vegans only. I found many recipes in this book that I plan to cook.
Well laid out, nicely photographed and clear instructions.
Barbara
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nope, not for me.

Food processors, chickpeas, coconut oil, tempeh, chia seeds, nutritional yeast, burgers created out of vegetables - these are all things I do not enjoy.
Cathy
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Good recipes, and not too difficult. For my taste, though, I try not to use oil and I don't use tempeh, but it offers a good variety of tried recipes.
Tara
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great cookbook for anyone, lots of go-to vegan recipes and a variety from novice recipes to more advanced recipes. I'd add it to my collection if I ran across a cheap copy.
Caitlin Myers
It needs to be less pretentious.
Tiffany
I like this cookbook. I don't need to own it, but I liked it. Recipes are straightforward and unfussy. The photography is as beautiful as you'd expect them to be.
Aja Marsh
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book, nicely photographed and laid out, a few things I would try, but nothing especially unique!
LemontreeLime
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I keep telling myself 'you don't need another vegan cookbook...' but oh my this one is so very interesting and full of so many great ideas... well darn. Guess I'm getting another vegan cookbook after all.
Rachel McCready-Flora
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When my pre-ordered copy arrived in the mail, although the food pictures are gorgeous, my first impression wasn't great. Many of the recipes seem like repeats / similar to recipes in cookbooks I already have, but I decided to keep it and give it a try, and I'm so glad I did!

I've only cooked a few recipes from this cookbook, but they've all been big wins. Much of our normal fare is from Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week, and, while I love Isa Ch
Sarah-Hope
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Gena Hamshaw’s Food52 Vegan is a good starting point for anyone interested in an open-ended introduction to vegan cooking. The recipes range from the familiar to the not-too-exotic and cover everything from breakfast to dessert. Go-To Pancakes and Peach Crumble Coffee Cake (both in the breakfast section) fall into the familiar category. Not-too-exotic options include dishes like Cauliflower and Oyster Mushroom Tacos, Zucchini Quinoa Cakes, and Smoky Tempeh and Hummus Sandwiches (all in the main ...more
Heather
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve become a fan of Food52. I recently reviewed their book Genius Recipes, which garnered my very rare and coveted “A+” rating! And last night I made dinner using a recipe from their website.

Food52 in general is not vegetarian, but this cookbook is the baby of Gena Hamshaw, who writes the column New Veganism for Food52. It's chock full of inventive and flavorful vegan goodies.

The book begins with a foreword by Food52 founders Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs. They express their initial reservat
Cat
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Eating vegan is, at its best, less a rejection of certain foods and more an embrace of foods that are bright and flavorful."

This is a great primer on vegan cooking. It's super accessible with recipes that range from the everyday/I-have-30-minutes-to-make-dinner to the more adventurous and time intensive. I thought the intro summed it up pretty well in saying that Hamshaw isn't just veganizing traditional recipes but showing that foods that are conceptualized as vegan from start to finish can b
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-netgalley
I love making new things, but I’m not creative enough to think outside of the box and just wing it. So this book was exactly what I needed! I found myself wanting to try all the recipes right away! The recipes are easy, short, well presented and have fairly easily found ingredients! I have been too scared to cook with certain ingredients, and this book helped me with chia seeds. I never thought it would really work… was I wrong!!!

The only complaint is that some of the recipes require some expens
Heather
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sections are divided into: breakfast, appetizers and snacks, soups, salads, main dishes, and desserts. My favorite recipe so far is the pumpkin pancakes (a variation on the “Go-To Pancakes”). It’s quick and easy and really delicious. The pancakes are mildly chewy but not tough, which is a difficult line to ride–Hamshaw does a fantastic job of it.

There are plenty of recipes that use meat substitutes such as tempeh and tofu, but there are more that don’t. The cookbook rests heavily on bright,
Aubrey
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This cookbook has some basic recipes for things like pancakes, muesli, cashew queso, green smoothies, coffee cakes and granola bars, as well as more complex recipes for Chilled Cucumber Soup with Mango Salsa, Gingered Carrot Bisque with Cashew Cream, Smoky Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili, and Breakfast Tostadas with Refried Black Beans and Cabbage Slaw. At the end of the book are basic recipes for egg replacer, oat milk, tofu feta, nut milks, and cashew cheeses.

I loved that the index includes
Teresa
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Users would benefit from a well-stocked local supermarket as this book calls upon the wide variety of meat substitutes (non-brand ones you understand, tempeh and tofu) and vegetables available in our globalized world. The recipes range from those grounded firmly in American lore (brownies) to more world ranging recipes (such as the interesting tofu feta used in the 'Greek'/Horiaktiki salad) and while the basics can seem like loads of work (included are recipes for nut milks) you don't need to ma ...more
Chandra
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this book on my local library recommendation shelf and could not resist it. The book is based on the blog Food52 (one of which I was already a fan of). Upon opening the book at reviewing I noticed immediately that the recipes are easy to create and the ingredients are ones often found in a pantry or that can be procured easily. I was so happy to find the traditional vegan fav of tofu scramble along side black bean breakfast tostadas. Other reviewers have noted that the authors are not vega ...more
Dana
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book has totally beautiful photos of the foods! I like that. I love that the recipes use whole foods with instructions for making your own oat and nut "milks" and how to make your own egg replacers from whole food products as well. It does not include using nasty processed soy fake meatlike crumbles and other highly processed replacement "foods". It is all real, delicious food! The recipes are well-written and easy to follow and the foods are delicious! I want someone to make all of them fo ...more
Heather Brown
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: Netgalley
Gena Hamshaw has produced a gorgeous cookbook showcasing vegan foods that anyone will love! With its Cali/Mex influences Food52 Vegan offers up delicious recipes for everyday cooking in the home that will satisfy even non-vegans. The Sesame Flax Crackers look great and are gluten-free. I can also appreciate the tips and hints she has added in with the relevant recipes, such as how and why to press tofu or how to get hummus super-smooth. Food52 Vegan has amazing soups, including TWO fantastic loo ...more
Nicholas Aune
As a part time vegan, I am always on the look for new recipes. Food52's new vegan book is a great collection of easy and fairly beginner level recipes. The book also has a number of helpful guide sections on a variety of common vegan techniques and recipes. Now, there are more extensive vegan cookbooks (Veganomicon) and some that are a bit more user friendly and offer more challenges(Thug Kitchen), but this is a great beginner's guide to the subject.
Polly Krize
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Vegan cooking doesn't have to be a challenge, and Gena Hamshaw shows us how to use seasonal ingredients in inventive ways. Many recipes in this book embrace flavorful foods that are healthy for you as well. Excluding animal products if only for a few meals a week can definitely improve health and add variety to your eating experience. Recommended.

• The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Food52 Baking
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Crossroads: Extraordinary Recipes from the Restaurant That Is Reinventing Vegan Cuisine
  • The New Sugar & Spice: A Recipe for Bolder Baking
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
  • Bake and Destroy: Good Food for Bad Vegans
  • Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan: A Cookbook
  • The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads You Don't Have to Be Vegan to Love
  • Dining at The Ravens: Over 150 Nourishing Vegan Recipes from the Stanford Inn by the Sea
  • Seven Spoons: My Favorite Recipes for Any and Every Day