Start by marking “Base Instincts (Demonica #13.5)” as Want to Read:
Base Instincts (Demonica #13.5)

Base Instincts

(Demonica #13.5)

As a Seminus demon, Raze’s life literally depends on having sex with females. The problem is that he doesn’t desire females, and it’s physically impossible for him to be with males. Thankfully, he and his best friend, Fayle, have an arrangement that keeps him alive . . . if lonely. He finds some solace in his work as a medic at Thirst, a vampire club known for its rough ...more
Published September 12th 2015 by Riptide Publishing

Start your review of Base Instincts (Demonica #13.5)
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Can This Series Not End Stars

So... I saw this on NetGalley and my first thought was, "An MM story from Larissa Ione in the Demonica Universe? ABSO-FUCKING-LUTELY!!!!". Of course then came the doubts... Can she really pull it off without falling in the cliche trap? Well, I shouldn't have doubted one of my favorite authors because this book was just as great as the rest of the series!!

What I loved most about this book wasn't the yummy couple(and they were drool worthy) or the interesting story,
Penny
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ooh, so sweet.

I really liked this short book.

Overall, I think this story has the potential to be a whole length book. Don't let me wrong, I am not saying that as it is right now this book is not enough, it is, I loved it, which is why I want more!
I loved the characters. Raze was adorable.I would have liked to see more of him.
Fayle's side of the story was interesting, but it was too rush, it would have been nice to have a longer development.
Slake's background plot regarding his soul was too
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Can I just say how much I love it when mainstream and SUPER popular M/F authors, like Larissa Ione, add a M/M book into their series? It gives people who don't even know that M/M romance exists a chance to try this AWESOME genre.

I haven't read the Demonica series (though I want to start now!), but I had no trouble following along with the story. In fact, I think it works perfectly well as a stand-alone.

Raze and Slake are two demons with very different backstories who meet by chance at a club.
Sophia Triad
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Right… so this is like the first MM story in the Demonica world.

Raze is a Seminus demon, i.e. he needs sex constantly to survive and in particular sex with females (humans or demons it does not matter). The key word here is “females”, because Raze is a strange unique Seminus demon and for some strange reason he prefers males.
The problem is that he cannot survive if there is not a female in the equation.

Fayle is his best friend and a succubus demon. She is the one that helps him out every time
Kat
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-1
This was an awesome novella-length book that featured Raze, another Sem demon like Idolin and his brothers, who is torn because he can only achieve physical release with a female demon and requires this at regular intervals to live, but since he’s gay, can never be with anyone he’s truly attracted to. He has an arrangement with Fail, who is something of a roommate, but theirs is not a good relationship. Then he meets Slake, a bounty hunter, and there were plenty of sparks. I really enjoyed the ...more
Marta Cox
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
Larissa Ione and Demonica! These words are guaranteed to make my heart beat faster and then you have to add in that it's a M/M story as well! Yes that's right Ms Ione is prepared to take her characters on a truly liberating ride and who knew it could be so enlightening.
This book works easily as a standalone but do watch out for cameo appearances from much loved demons. Here we meet Raze a medic and most importantly a Seminus demon. He is an anomaly really as his species can only survive by
*P*u*r*p*l*e* Masochist
~ Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review ~

This review is posted on Way Too Hot Books.

I pretty much loved the first 7 books in the Demonica series, so there's no one more surprised than me after rating this installment this low. I was ecstatic when I saw that Larissa Iona wrote a mm Demonica book so much that I requested the arc even after being 3 books behind, but maybe I should have waited until I had read the other three books first before jumping at this one. Maybe
Lisa Arbitrary - AttentionIsArbitrary M/M Blog
~ ~ ~

3.5 Stars bumped for world building.

THE CHARACTERS

Raze - A compassionate healer who can never have the relationship he craves.

Unfortunately, what he wanted was something he couldn’t have.
And for some reason, Slake’s face popped into his head, the poster boy for Can’t Have.
His cock throbbed again.
The fucker.

Slake - An assassin about to lose his soul is a pretty tricky guy.
In Slake’s world, there was no room for kindness. He showed none and received none. Sometimes, he didn’t believe it
Sheri
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have a special sweet spot for paranormal romance in my reading diet. PNR can be a gamble though, it can be smooth, upper deck premo or it can be cheap bottom-shelf booze. This was PNR at its finest. High quality, savor each sip, gimmie gimmie more please romance.

If you are green like I was to the Demonica world, never fear. Ione carefully introduces us and then expertly navigates us through her heaven and hell on earth. It was never overwhelming or difficult to follow. There are times when
La*La
3.5 stars.

Larissa Ione's Seminus M/M story was a stuff for fantasies for such a long time...so I guess my expectations were a bit too high. And, this being a novella certainly didn't do the story any favors. Not enough romance, not enough sex, not enough plot.

As for the way the heroes bypassed the Sem's physical problems - that was definitely a shocker! I hadn't guessed Ione would go there..and in such a flippant way as that. (view spoiler)
❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

Raze and Slake, a love to remember~

Because they love each other effortlessly. It was the other stuff such as life that got in the way. I heart them.

This book and my feels......

1. I loved it, it was fun and exciting.

2. This book was a fab PNR., My perfect weekend read. The flow was a bit Rocky, but , I still liked this read. And, I love Raze and Slake. I loved the action, the wicked'ness. And the fem, she was so detached it was easy to dismiss her presence. She was indeed well written.

Alisa

I really enjoyed this companion novella set in the Demonica world. This book can be read as a stand alone. If you read the main series you should be caught up before you read this as it has pretty big spoilers in it for Revenant's story.

I was wondering how Ione was going to pull this off since Seminus demons must have sex with a female to live. I thought the way she worked it out was creatively done and I completely bought it. The plot was well done and fast paced. I really liked these
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Nice. The first M/M Demonica was successful and made me happy, happy, happy.

This seemed a lot sweeter than normal but at the same time so very sad and kinda deadly. It was an odd combination that worked really well. I wanted so badly for these boys to fall in love. I needed it badly. My heart hurt for both of them and I was anxious but I also laughed and smiled and felt good.

Well done on the villain of the story. I fucking hated them! The total worst scum ever.

(view spoiler)
Ezinwanyi
3.5 stars.

I was very excited to see one of my favorite series feature an m-m couple. I had wondered who the couple would be and how the story would tie into the events occurring around UGH.

Slake and Raze's story fell a little flat to me. They were both new characters but they really didn't connect to the series in a meaningful way. Ione's strength lies in her awesome world building and her in-depth character development, but with a novella, there just wasn't room to do either thing. The story
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Larissa Ione's Demonica Series is by far one of my favorite series ever. Her world building, characters, and plots are amazing. I'm a big fan of the show Supernatural so the Heaven & Hell plot lines are right up my alley. I truly do love her writing, when I heard she was writing a m/m companion novel to the series, I was ecstatic. Of course, I kinda wanted it to be Wraith but I'm okay with Raze and Slake. Raze being a Seminus Demon, we all know that he can't finish with anyone
Raze is a seminus demon who literally has to have sex with women just to survive so even though he's only really attracted to men he can never have an exclusive relationship with a guy. He likes the healing abilities that his seminus side gives him and loves his job working as a paramedic but he has come to accept that he will never be happy in his personal life. Rather than constantly having to find random women to hook up with, like most Seminus demons do before they're mated, Raze has come to ...more
Adam
DNF at 54%

When 'Base Instincts' first popped up on my feed, I dismissed it. I haven't read anything from the Demonica series, and the blurb didn't really capture my attention. But then I got a closer look at that insanely hot cover on NetGalley, and I couldn't stop myself from requesting. I suppose the 'don't judge a book by its cover' rule doesn't just apply to ugly covers.

I didn't feel any real connection between the two MCs. The reader is just told that Raze and Slake feel a deep connection
◊♦ Naomi
I'm a big fan of Larissa Ione and her Demonica/Lords of Deliverance series, so obviously I jumped at the chance to read this book. And, as usual, it was amazing.

I absolutely adore the universe she created with this series, it's very unique and well written. BASE INSTINCTS is a short book so it's more focused on the main characters and not really on a specific plot (even if there is one, don't worry) but it was still a great book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

It can be read as a standalone, I don't
Vanessa theJeepDiva
When someone asks what my favorite paranormal romance series is I alway mention Larissa Ione’s Demonica series as one of the my top five favorites. I don’t read nearly as many paranormal romances as I once did. When I saw that there was a new one coming out and that it would be a male male romance I knew I just had to get my hands on it as soon as possible. Nothing shocking here but I absolutely loved it.

Having read the other Demonica books I knew what to expect out of the Seminus demon. Raze
Denise H.
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Larissa Ione and her Demonica/Lords of Deliverance series, are amazing. Loved Seminus and Raze together. The reader is drawn into the story beautifully. This is truly a romance and well written. I enjoyed these men and their struggles. Deep characters, an interesting story as always, and super hot sexiness.
A Larissa Ione M/M romance is an amazing bonus. I've read her whole series and this was icing on the cake. You can't go wrong.
Highly recommend ! ENJOY !!

Marianne

Review will be posted shortly. Until then, enjoy the hot gif of the hot seminus demon and his soulless assassin
Chris
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, lgbtq
I really enjoy this series so when Raze & Slakes book came up I was all over it ! It was awesome to have an MM addition to the series and I think this really broadened the character base. The chemistry between these two was great, although the steam factor was a little blurry considering Raze was a Seminus demon. I should be grateful I know !!! This really can't be read as a standalone mainly because you need the background to places and people to appreciate Raze & Slakes situation. If ...more
AJ
More Demonica! Woot woot! And just for something different, an m/m romance!

This novella is set in the Demonica world, though it doesn’t really tie into the overarching storyline. Plenty of background explanation is given to the world so it could technically be read as a standalone, but it does contain some spoilers for book 11, Revenant, so keep that in mind if you’re planning on reading the series – which you should, because it’s sensational!

Raze is a seminus demons. He is a rare breed of
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mm, bgirls, ebook
A review by The Blogger Girls.

If you’re a fan of the Demonica series, you will surely enjoy this addition. It contains all of the wonderfully detailed elements of that world with the added exciting twist of m/m. While this could be read as a stand alone, I highly recommend reading the rest of the series to really get a feel for this wonderfully detailed world. There is a handy dictionary of terms at the beginning which will help the newbies better understand things or remind those who haven’t
Jen Davis
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a longtime fan of Larissa Ione’s Demonica series, I was so excited to learn she was turning her considerable sexy-time talents to the m/m arena. Every single book I have read from her has burned up the pages and this novella is no exception. It’s super-hot. Not only that, but it ties in elements from this fabulously built world, along with characters and storylines we’ve come to know and love.

Raze is a medic at Underworld General and he is a Seminus demon. A gay Seminus demon. That’s a
Sultry Steamy Reading
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Anybody who's read Larissa Ione's Demonica series knows that it's a good, entertaining paranormal romance series with alpha male heroes, adorable heroines, sizzling chemistry, and intriguing storyline. But what if all that was put together in one story and mixed with an MM romance? OMG. I think that's just really hot.

While, theoretically, this looked liked a really good addition to the series, I felt
Lelyana
This is a short yet sexy story about two demons.
I haven't read any book of this author,, let alone the Demonica series. It was popped on my Netgalley's dashboard, and it's MM!

I'm glad this one didn't disappointed me. In fact, I enjoyed the short story.

Will I recommend it to my friends? Most likely YES!
Will I read this author's other books? I think so.

Read this, if you're into Paranormal/Fantasy and some sexy male on male *cough*..."encounters".

"Because something about you makes me want to to
Dhfan4life
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally another great hit by Ione! Loved the twists and turns of this little novella that could! And to say the least it is very fitting for the latest social movement too. And gives new meaning getting in touch of your feminine side big time!

• The Darkest Assassin (Lords of the Underworld, #14.6)
  • Where Winter Finds You (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17.5)
  • Edge of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #3)
  • Marked by Midnight (Midnight Breed #11.5)
  • Blood Red Kiss (Immortals After Dark, #1; MoonBound Clan Vampires, #2.5; Otherworld Assassin, #2.5)
  • Frost and Flame (Gods of War, #2)
  • Tempted by Midnight (Midnight Breed #12.5; 1001 Dark Nights #9)
  • Blood Truth (Black Dagger Legacy, #4)
  • The Savior (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #17)
  • The Blood Covenant: Book One of The Medici Warrior Series
  • The Darkest Captive (Lords of the Underworld, #14.5)
  • Hour of Darkness (Hunter Legacy, #2)
  • Shadow and Ice (Gods of War, #1)
  • A Hard Day's Night Searcher (Dark-Hunter, #10.5)
  • Hate Awakened (The Feral, #3)
  • A Sip of Eternity (Guild Hunter, #7.3)
  • The Darkest Angel (Lords of the Underworld #4.5)
  • Echo of Silence (Psy-Changeling, #2.5)
Air Force veteran Larissa Ione traded in a career in meteorology to pursue her passion of writing. She has since published dozens of books, hit several bestseller lists, including the New York Times and USA Today, and has been nominated for a RITA award. She now spends her days in pajamas with her computer, strong coffee, and supernatural worlds. She believes in celebrating everything, and would ...more

Demonica (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Passion Unleashed (Demonica #3)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Sin Undone (Demonica #5)
  • Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1, Demonica, #6)
  • Immortal Rider  (Lords of Deliverance, #2; Demonica, #7)
  • Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #3; Demonica, #8)
  • Rogue Rider  (Lords of Deliverance #4; Demonica #9)
  • Reaver  (Lords of Deliverance, #5; Demonica, #10)
“He sold his soul to a Soul Reaper—”
“That was stupid.”
“Yeah,” Raze said, without missing a beat, “we agree on that. Anyway—”
“No, I mean, really stupid.” Revenant leaned against the doorframe and divided his unnerving attention between Raze and Slake. “I mean, it just seems obvious to me. Don’t sell your soul. Seriously. Who does that? What the fuck?”
2 likes