Start by marking “If Pigs Could Fly (West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency #1)” as Want to Read:
If Pigs Could Fly (West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency #1)

If Pigs Could Fly (West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency #1)

“West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency. Doctor Ravinder Shah speaking. No case too weird, no problem too bizarre. Strangeness a speciality. How can I help you?”

London Social Worker Rav Shah moonlights as a paranormal detective, aided by one of his clients and a Border Collie he rents by the hour. It was supposed to be a bit of fun: a search for truths out there; a q
Published October 6th 2015 by Wild Jester Press

To ask other readers questions about If Pigs Could Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Pigs Could Fly

Start your review of If Pigs Could Fly (West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency #1)
Becky Ottery
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC copy of this, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

'If Pigs could Fly...' is not actually unputdownable. It is instead, more-ish, like a packet of high quality biscuits. You know you won't let yourself binge on the entire thing in one sitting, but somehow it still disappears a lot faster than you expected. I'll just read one more short chapter...

Dr Ravinder Shah is endearingly imperfect, without any significant advantages as a hero beyond a working brain, a
Tim Gray
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book - I won it on Goodreads - but on the strength of this bought another of his books straight away. A social worker for a hero is almost a paranormal event on it's own, especially a male one!It's funny, pacy, and original. Lots of nice little in jokes, but also a good plot, and engaging characters. Hopefully there will be more in this series.
Valerie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have had this Goodreads win on my "must read next" pile for too long. Well I have just finished it and it is now being moved to the "must tell everyone to read it" pile. I absolutely loved it, Rav, the social worker, the adorably patient Professor and the amazing Jess are the West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency and this book is a brilliant mix of very British humour with some genuinely laugh out loud moments. The villains are so unexpected and absolutely terrifying I cannot say too muc ...more
Alan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
So pleased to have a won this book in the recent Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

I really enjoyed reading this book, which soon had me turning the pages. Loved the humour which is a first for me, as I never really enjoy books that have humour. It made a change to read a book by a local author. I never write what a book is about, for fear of spoiling for others. I do highly recommend this book.
Sue Gill
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I managed to get hold of an ARC of Jonny Nexus' most recent work, 'if pigs could fly '.
I couldn't put it down! A relaxed and enjoyable style, weaving the mundane, the supernatural and great humor. I was intreagued by the plot and had to find out what happened next whilst also finding myself giggling in self recognition at some of the characters social situations.
I hope we hear more from this series.
Cat Tobin
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed Game Night, the first Jonny Nexus book, and so I've been eagerly awaiting If Pigs Could Fly. If Pigs Could Fly might deal with a different theme, but Jonny's trademark quick-witted style and Pratchettesque descriptions shine through, as we chase the eccentric professor, Rav, and Jess the Dog (the main West Kensington Paranormal Detective Agency) on their harebrained schemes around the UK.
Bob Jamieson
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was brilliant.

Fantastically funny and very very British. Highly recommended. Looking forward to the next case!
Melissa
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never Enough Books Logo

Whew, what a title!

When a book opens with the line “The mist clung to the moorland like a blanket staple-gunned to a bed.” then you know you are in for an enjoyable read. And that is just what If Pigs Could Fly gives us.

It’s kind of difficult to accurately describe If Pigs Could Fly, but I think the best way would be to say it’s part X-Files part What We Do In The Shadows. In that, I mean that there are some parts of the book that a bit more serious while there are other passages that are ju
Louise
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win a copy of If Pigs Could Fly in one of the Good Reads giveaways.

The first few chapters were a great introduction to the characters involved in the story but I did wonder what I had let myself in for when vampires and pigs featured prominently!

However, I was pleasantly surprised by a very engaging story....Rav is an extremely likeable protagonist. Together with his two sidekicks; the professor, who a man after my own heart, likes a bit of adventure but also nothing bette
Steve
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Jonny's new book last week and really rather enjoyed it. Our hero, a London social worker and his fearless crew, one of his elderly clients and a sheepdog he rents by the hour, become embroiled in a tale of flying pigs which soon become the least of his worries. This and other dangers that leads me to believe that the North should be avoided at all costs. Jonny has a nice eye for detail and the plot buzzes along bedecked with Pratchett-esque observations. If you liked the Dresden Files bu ...more
John
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Game Night was an amazing novel, and so I've really been looking forward to reading Nexus' second novel, If Pigs Could Fly. He's transferred from roleplaying games to urban fantasy, and whilst my heart will always be more in the realm of Game Night, this is also a very good novel. It's funny, it's compelling, the characters are interesting, it's better plotted than a lot of novels and it's just generally worth a look! I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. ...more
Tim Maidment
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, fantasy, horror, humour
Dry wit, an eye for the absurdities of how people see what they want to see and a mystery that drew me in far quicker than I thought it would. Having grown up in West London, and in particular the Hounslow area, there was a lot here that had me chuckling in recognition, but the story didn't suffer from being overwhelmed with in-jokes. Instead it builds on your expectations with a slick shuffle that then pulls the rug from underneath you.

An urban fantasy that manages to be urbane and humane, with
Michael Carter
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderfully funny book

I loved Game Night when I first read it, and this is as good or even better. With a metric shitload (equal to 2.2 imperial shitloads) of jokes, but also suspense and some true excitement. I eagerly await the next installment of the adventures of Rav, Jess and the professor ( and of course Reese must be there too, and maybe even poor lovesick Alan) I just hope it isn't seven more years until Jonny Nexus' next book.
Richard
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it - and I hope there will be a series of these.

I don't normally read things with "paranormal" in the title. On this occasion, that element didn't get in the way of my enjoyment and fun of the story. In fact, looking back, I just accepted the characters as regular folk that happen to be just a bit different from regular humans.
Baker St Shelves
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Just like with his previous book Game Night, Jonny Nexus once again does a great job with satire. In particular with the urban fantasy tropes. It moves at a brisk pace and has such great dialogue. I recommend it to fans of Dirk Gently or Game Night.
April
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book, the pace was good and the characters were very interesting
Edel Ryder-hanrahan
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent humorous fantasy from the pen of Jonny Nexus.
Carla
Sep 07, 2015 marked it as to-read
I just won this in a First Reads giveaway, and look forward to reading and reviewing it.
Nini
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
After enjoying another book on my to read list I decided to try my luck again and found myself a copy of If pigs could fly. I found this book to be well written and enjoyed the comic undertone throughout. Having worked in social service I also greatly appreciated the social worker "stand off" that appeared later in the story.
I wasn't as keen on the ending and would liked to have found out a bit more about the mysterious Reece but overall this was a fun read and certainly helped my recent train
Carly Kirk
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku-2019
I swear to all that is holy that I loved this book so much that right after reading it on KindleUnlimited, I immediately turned around and bought it. Seriously, I laughed out loud so many times and not just a chuckle, no, I'm talking laughing so hard my stomach hurt and I had tears in my eyes. And besides the laugh out loud moments the story itself is pretty entertaining too. I really, really hope the author hurries up and writes the next book in the series!
David Hambling
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A wonderful addition to the urban fantasy genre, with a social-worker-turned-vampire-hunter teamed up with an elderly charge and an enthusiastic dog to tackle a sinister plot involving undead bloodsuckers and, yes, flying pigs.

The genre is well worn if not overworn, but Zero raises the bar with a gift for description and a slew of brilliantly-delivered punchlines, putting this well above the usual Jasper Fforde knockoffs.

A work of great promise. The Agency will not lack customers...
Ryan Davies
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book, and well worth a read.

This is a great book that sucked me in and kept me reading. As I read more about the titular pigs, I thought that it was going to turn out to be a silly book, and I wouldn't enjoy it. I was very happy to be wrong, and can't wait to read more about the WKPDA
Rev Lynda Mead
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Glorious fun

I loved this very witty tale, of a reluctant hero, his elderly sectioned companion and best of all Jess the wonder dog (confused ,but loyal) fighting vampires and a surprising Mr Big. All the cliches of fantasy stories are cleverly subverted, to great effect. I look forward to reading the next adventure of the trio.
Jo Wall
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud hilarious escapism!

I enjoyed every minute this book. Advice to readers: you may wish to avoid reading this in public - I couldn't repress the chuckles and noticed some very funny looks from bystanders. Highly recommended for anyone with a sense of humour!
Richard Rose
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good story

An impressive addition to the vampiric genre. Rav is an everyman thrust into a world of which he knows noth.ing . His misadventures are hilarious as he confronts the villains and emerges triumphant.
Alison
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good fun read.
Val Shippen
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weirdly good

This book started off weird and kept on in the same vein, but I couldn't stop reading. Funny and down to earth humour. Give it a go!
Heather
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant, well written and very entertaining book. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Cherie Lutz
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious adventure.

I really enjoyed this book! A great blend of action, suspense and humor. I'll definitely read the next adventure of Ravinder Shah.
Lesley Hewitt
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different

Well, that was a different take on Vampires. Flying Vampire pigs and mad scientists plus a few Vampires and a cursed head. Very weird.

• The 13th Witch (The King's Watch, #1)
  • Cunning Devil (Lost Falls #1)
  • No Good Deed (Mark Taylor, #1)
  • Haunted And Hexed (Blackwood Bay Witches #1)
  • Demonic Indemnity
  • Impostor (Alexander Gregory Thrillers, #1)
  • The 12 Dragons of Albion (The King's Watch, #2)
  • Borderlands (DCI Ryan Mysteries #14)
  • Curiosity Killed The Cat (Cozy Conundrums #1)
  • Dead Astronauts (Borne, #2)
  • Nine of Wands (The King's Watch #5)
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Pay Dirt (Lost Falls #2)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • The Eleventh Hour (The King's Watch #3)
  • How To Be Dead Books 1 - 3
  • Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)
I'm a Lancashire based IT guy who moonlights as a writer in my spare time. When not doing that, I spend time with my wife, daughter and dog; read; watch TV, films and the occasional work of theatre; and engage in intermittent bouts of extremely bad roleplaying.

I began my writing career by launching the cult gaming webzine Critical Miss (criticalmiss.com), before moving on to write regular columns