Start by marking “Becoming George Washington” as Want to Read:
Becoming George Washington

Becoming George Washington

George Washington, action hero . . .

Long before Washington was the old man on the dollar bill, he was a fatherless boy with few resources and even less education. So how did he become the most famous person in American history?

Becoming George Washington tells the story of a young man with boundless energy, bravery, and passion, who grew from a fatherless boy into a self-co
ebook
Published September 1st 2015 by Wise Ink Creative Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Becoming George Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming George Washington

Emily
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
I received a free advance copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

What a valiant effort this book is. It says it is an historical fiction novel based on the life of George Washington. And, it delivers what it promises. I think for readers of biographies and non-fiction, this book will be a wonderful look at Washington's life and quite pleasant to read. For those of us who love historical fiction, however, it does fall flat.

It reads like a non-fiction book (so much "telling" and
Debbie
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Becoming George Washington is a different kind of historical fiction. The authors writing captures the language of the times by including words that were spoken in every day language such as "negro" but Stephen Yoch doesn't stop there. He writes with detail and description in every situation presented in this novel. The language does not distract from the story. He makes every effort to change up some of the language of the time so it is more readable without changing the way people used to spea ...more
Donna
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
An ambitious tale of an ambitious character. George Washington before the Presidency, before the Revolutionary War.

This book takes place during Washington's early 20's. During his rise in the military. We see his relationships grow with his brother Lawrence, his friend Sally Fairfax and his dear mentor Colonel Fairfax. George suffers many failures as a military man. Not everything is roses and peaches. We see his as an ambitious, sometimes angry man. One who will rush into war. He's not the pat
Styopa L
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In the 17th century, enamelled-miniature portraiture became fashionable amongst Europe's elite. Despite their small size they were treasured for their rich coloring and astonishingly detailed portrayal of some lucky or important individual. Mr Yoch, with his own deft and subtle brush-strokes has painted a picture of George Washington that is both readable and compelling, and adds a rich foundational undertone of humanity to this near-deific figure in American history.
"Becoming George Washington"
Molly
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I appreciate what the author was trying to do in this book, however the writing style was a little heavy handed. It was straight forward with no level of sophistication or beauty.
Melanie
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great novel, and to me it seemed like a very original idea to take a well-documented individual and write a book that fills in all the blanks in a personal way. Perhaps there are other authors who do this, but I don't read fiction all that often, so it was a, pardon the pun, novel idea to me.
I really liked that the telling of a story this way makes notable moments in GW history more memorable.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘Imagining the man behind the legend.’

This novel covers a twelve year period of George Washington’s life, from July 1747 – when he was aged 15, to January 1759 – when, the month before his 27th birthday, he married Martha Custis. The novel explores the difficult relationship George Washington had with his mother, Mary, who always seemed to expect and require more from him. In this novel, George’s brothers, especially his half-brothers Lawrence and Augustine (‘Austin’), were an important part of
Wesley
I want to put this out there right at the get-go, this isn't an origin story of the "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer" variety. It's about real George Washington and what he really did in the years before he before he became our nation's first president. It's kind of interesting, because I never really thought about any other version of George Washington besides the presidential one. (Though there is this one YouTube video that got a lot of play in our apartment senior year in college...) Anyway.. ...more
Heather C
Everyone knows the story of George Washington the great man that led the Continental Army to victory and then went on to become the First President of the United States. But what do they really know of the years that came before (because he was in his later life by that point)? The answer for most, not too much! Author Stephen Yoch takes the reader back in time to the years that really formed young George Washington into the man he would later become.

As someone who LOVES to read and learn about
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book (an appallingly long time ago) from Wise Ink Creative Publishing via Netgalley.

Most of what we know about George Washington is from the Revolutionary War onward but what about George's life beforehand? Becoming George Washington is historical fiction that serves to fill in the earlier part of George's life. Beginning from when George leaves home as a young man until his marriage to Martha Custis and "retirement" from the military, Becoming George Washington follows real even
Margaret
I really surprised myself in how much I enjoyed this book, it spurred a touch of jealousy in this Canadian as I would love to read about the men that shaped this great country.

I think we all know about George and Martha Washington, but Stephen Yoch has taken us back to his teen years, a time that isn't that well known.

There are many things that Becoming George Washington has going for it. First off was the writing style, it was engaging and it didn't take long to get lost in this book. This is t
Sandie
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
IN BECOMING GEORGE WASHINGTON author Stephen Yoch paints a picture of a brash, angry and ambitious young man who willfully and blatantly attempted to blame others for some of his early failures and could easily have became the “spin doctor” of his day. Learning from his early forays into political back-stabbing coupled with his hypersensitive and querulous demeanor Washington used the valuable lessons learned in his youth to mature from insecure fatherless boy to confident adult ready and willin ...more
Mark Ristau
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent read – informative, entertaining and fast-paced!

Stephen Yoch’s debut novel demystifies the life of George Washington, portraying him as utterly human – no more or less flawed than any one of us. With intelligence and a meticulous eye for historical detail, Yoch crafts a story that brings a young George Washington to life and invites us into the heart and mind of the Father of our Country years before the beginning of the American Revolution.

Refusing the temptation to glorify the ear
Nicki Markus
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-historical
Becoming George Washington was an enjoyable historical novel that held my interest from start to finish. Set in the years prior to the American Revolution, it tells of the rise of the man who would one day lead the Continental forces.

Knowing little about Washington before the revolution, I cannot attest to the accuracy of the presentation; however, it appeared well-researched and it has certainly sparked my interest in the man enough that I do plan to read some more scholarly works about him in
Terri
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fabulous historical novel filled with facts. It covers Washington's early life and his difficult relationship with his Mother and how important his brothers were in his life which frankly I knew little about. . It follows him through his relationship with Martha and french and Indian war. I thought this book was very well written and exciting to read. It is obvious the affection the author has for his subject and meticulous detail that went into writing this wonderful book
Kiki Hughes
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have been trying to find new books for my class to read. Some time periods are easy and others are not. It is also hard to find an appropriate book for high school. This book met all my expectations. It accurately describes the French and Indian War and young George's life. There is violence and romance but nothing that would offend anyone. I highly recommend this book and will be using it next year in my class.
Stephanie Noel
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading Becoming George Washington and felt intrigued to learn the early years of George Washington. Its amazing to learn how George went through challenges and how he overcome them. I also enjoyed learning how he was determined to make it to the top despite what stands in the way. This book made me want to learn more about his life and I hope to see another book in the series to read the other part of his life as well.
Melissa Peacock
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended this book to me, and while I don't normally read historical novels, I thoroughly enjoyed "Becoming George Washington". It was fascinating to see the progression from young boy to military leader. I especially appreciated learning about Washington's early failures and how he learned from his mistakes. Kudos to Steve Yoch for writing such a compelling novel.
Laura Zats
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like this book! I normally use histfic as a palate cleanser for my regular diet of YA/MG. I liked this one because it stays true to the tone of the time, but makes it readable. I also love that there's nothing completely made up--everything is backed up by historical evidence, which means I came away knowing something.

This would be super good for libraries and book clubs!
Ahroon
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Learned so much about our first president. It is an engrossing story that at times I forgot it was about a future president. Fascinating look at his early life in Virginia. Highly recommend this book.
Vickie
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent piece of historical fiction. I found this to be one of the best, if not the best depiction of Washington’s early life and career. Factfilled but written in an extremely interesting manner.
Brenda Luisa