Start by marking “Unnatural Selection” as Want to Read:
Unnatural Selection

Unnatural Selection (Gideon Oliver #13)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  775 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
When Gideon Oliver's wife Julie attends a conservation forum on the emerald Isles of Scilly, Gideon tags along, expecting a holiday. To amuse himself, he explores the Neolithic sites there. But instead of ancient ruins, he finds evidence of a very recent murder.
Paperback, Large Print, 407 pages
Published February 28th 2008 by Wheeler Publishing (first published June 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Unnatural Selection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unnatural Selection

Ellen
Unnatural Selection by Aaron Elkins.

Gideon Oliver never fails! Julie has been invited by Vasily Kozlov to his castle on the Isles of Scilly for an annul meeting of fellows. Gideon is Julie's guest for the week of discussions as well as disagreements. The first discussion group allows Gideon some time alone and he goes off to explore the lush environment outside the castle.

Gideon prods along the beach and turns up a bone, but not just any animal bone. this bone once belonged to a human. He goes
Pat
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been slowly reading all of the Gideon Oliver mysteries in order by when they were first published. This is the 13th and one of the better ones. The series can be quite uneven and Elkins has a real thing about Nazis and WWII that I think intrudes too much into what are really very simple stories. This particular one, however, does not include any of those areas and is pretty straightforward and a very fast read.
Liz
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I learned more about forensic anthropology by reading this book than I have watching 5 seasons of "Bones". The detective is a "skeleton doctor" and the setting was Cornwall in England.
Tamera
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the slower more thoughtful pace of this detective mystery.
Barbra
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another great story from this author, and sometimes more bone information than you might like, but for all that, you will find yourself being very interested in how he comes to his conclusion at the end.
Hobart
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
So Gideon and Julie are off to the Scilly Isles in the UK for Julie to attend an ecology conference. While she's busy talking about ways to save the world, Gideon plans on some sightseeing, hanging out in a museum doing some volunteer work, enjoying life.

But, no surprise here, Gideon stumbles onto a bone that doesn't belong there. And we're off to the races with the Skeleton Detective.

Elkins doesn't come up with an excuse for Mr. and Mrs. Lau to come along to Julie's conference, but thankfully,
Babs
Oct 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Gideon Oliver Mystery and first time reading this author. Frankly, I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed the book.

The lead character, Gideon Oliver aka Skeleton Detective is a forensic anthropology professor. His wife Julie is a park ranger in Washington State's Olympic National Park.

Gideon accompanies his wife to the remote Isles of Scilly off the Cornwall coast. Julie is part of a consortium of ecological experts with very differing views and many heated debates. Gideon is simply
Matt
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Dr. Oliver accompanies his wife, Julie, to a symposium in the English countryside, he expects to be able to soak up the vacation lifestyle and putter around some of the museums. Little does he know (though the reader will not be shocked to discover), while examining some skeletal remains in a small museum, he happens upon some bones that point to something more sinister than anthropologically interesting. As he teams up with the local constabulary to investigate, an attendee at the symposiu ...more
Ann
May 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another mystery series I've enjoyed over the years. Gideon Oliver is a forensic anthropologist and his wife is a ranger at Olympic National Park. The characters and their lives have changed over the years, as we all do, and since I want to do things in order, I started the series at the beginning with book #1, which was published in the early 80's. So culture and technology have changed, too. As far as I'm concerned that just adds to the entertainment. I like the characters and the setti ...more
Gayle
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Bones. Aaron Elkins makes the study of bones simply fascinating. I agree totally with one professional critic who states: "Elkins' plotting is devious, and the forensics information is thoroughly terrific." I also agree with another critic who says: " Will satisfy your craving for genteel entertainment." The Gideon Oliver series is a joy to read - smartly written, lots of dry humor, interesting facts and wonderfully developed characters and plots. And, you get to travel the world with Gideon Oli ...more
Betty
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of mystery & forensics
This time Julie has been invited to a consortium on the Isle of Scilly off Cornwall, and Gideon is accompanying her. A mixed blend of people all together in an unusual Castle. Gideon wanders the grounds & eventually the inevitable bone that shouldn't be there turns up. It appears to be a death around the time of the previous consortium of two years previously, but shortly a fresh body appears. Gideon is involved up his elbows trying to find out what the consortium and the two bodies have in ...more
Penny
May 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this type of mystery, you often see the amateur sleuth in an antagonistic relationship with some bumbling, incompetent police detective. The interesting twist in this book is that Gideon and the two police officers form an impromtu team and really work together.

Lot's of good detail on the bones in this one, too, so his credentials as the "skeleton detective" (Sorry, Gideon, I know you hate that moniker) come through loud and clear once again.
Doug
Forensics professor Gideon Oliver accompanies his wife to a consortium on conversation by weird thinkers. In a visit to a museum Oliver is looking at old bones but finds a human bone that is not very old. He and the local police use a cadaver dog and find additional bones on the beach. Then another participant in the consortium is murdered. Learn something about bones. Sometimes interesting but probably a light read.
Diane
Oct 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Forensics professor and sometimes detective Gideon Oliver accompanies his wife to the Isles. While Julie is stuck indoors, Gideon intends to putter around the Neolithic sites scattered among the islands. But when bones are uncovered on a remote beach showing signs of homicide his vacation plans take an interesting turn.

I would rate this at 3.5 stars. It's tightly written, intelligent dialog - a good read that is wanting a bit in suspense.
Kris
Unnatural Selection is well paced and moves along easily. The characters are likeable and intriguing. As usual, there is a touch of humour that makes the characters even more realistic. The murder is a fairly straight forward crime of passion and not unnecessarily twist, even if the original conclusions prove to be incorrect.
Tom
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Gideon Oliver mystery. Interesting enough that I would like to read more of these mysteries, though Gideon does come off as just a touch too academic, overly impressed with higher education, and snobbish. His wife sounds a lit more interesting. Decent overall plot, and I liked that if you actually paid attention to stuff in the beginning, you could have figured it out before the end.
Marcia
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is set at an academic conference held by a wealthy dilettant in England. The snobbery and comraderie of academia are evident in the plot. The extensive descriptions of the setting are particularly well done.
Lynninnh
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a young forensics professor and his wife, in the Isles of Scilly for a conference. The main characters are young, interesting, and amusing. I like amusing!

Murder, intrigue, who dun'it and very enjoyable, will look for more from this author.
Mary
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
I have been reading old favorites again. Any of the Gideon Oliver series fits that category. The forensic anthropology is always very well done and the characters are wonderfully done. This one features how to go from a piece of bone found on a beach to a murder in a couple of fell swoops.
Mr. Brewer
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaron Elkins adds these deft little touches to his prose and exposition that really flesh out his books. Very three dimensional for literature, and makes reading his books almost an actual experience. Imagery and subtext are awesome.
Jessica
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england
It's a bit frustrating when you read something that takes a while to get going and then feels slapdash at the end, but Elkins clearly has a good grasp of the technical elements in this one. A series I can see myself dipping in and out of, but not slavishly.
Rebecca
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from a friend and then wondered where this writer has been all my life...you know what I mean? Really terrific forensic mystery writing, I can't wait to read more of Aaron Elkins, now that I've discovered him.
John
May 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to John by: A guest at The Waverly Inn
Elkins is just downright fun to read. There's not much violence, sex, or any of the other things we typically see today in the murder mystery genre. But he's extremely skilled at keeping your interest level high and his plot development always keeps you turning the page.
Arlene
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I picked this up at my local little free library while on a walk. An enjoyable surprise that held my interest. I was surprised by the ending.
Marginalia2
The story line is slight, the characters rather flat, but the forensics are fascinating.
Kirsten
First time reading a Gideon Oliver book, and I much enjoyed it. Very quick read, the mystery itself was interesting enough, and it kept me entertained the entire way through.
Walter Straus
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New (to me) author. Lots of intrigue and you learn a lot too.
Chris
May 25, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved everything about this book, except that I figured it out; the murderer, the victim, the reason. Still a great character and interesting stuff.
Ferret
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
A decent Gideon Oliver mystery. Lots of bones, lots of lectures on anthropology, a really well-executed red herring, and a pretty surprising conclusion.
Rodney
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little more forensics in this one, so it goes back to its roots, so to speak. Interesting read, as always with this series.
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • The Chinese Alchemist (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #11)
  • Fault Line (Em Hansen Mystery, #7)
  • Death of a Rug Lord (Den of Antiquity, #14)
  • The Night Visitor (Charlie Moon, #5)
  • A Ghost of a Chance (A Shannon Delaney Paranormal Mystery #1)
  • Death, Guns, and Sticky Buns (Tori Miracle, #3)
  • Echoes
  • Dead Write (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #3)
  • Scots on the Rocks (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #23)
  • Relics (Faye Longchamp, #2)
  • The Lost Bird (Wind River Reservation, #5)
  • Click Here For Murder (Turing Hopper, #2)
  • Hound
  • If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him... (Elizabeth MacPherson, #8)
  • Forget to Remember (Carol Golden, #1)
Aaron J. Elkins AKA Aaron Elkins (born Brooklyn July 24, 1935) is an American mystery writer. He is best known for his series of novels featuring forensic anthropologist Gideon Oliver—the 'skeleton detective'. The fourth Oliver book, Old Bones, received the 1988 Edgar Award for Best Novel. As Oliver is a world-renowned authority, he travels around the world and each book is set in a different and ...more
More about Aaron Elkins...

Gideon Oliver (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fellowship of Fear (Gideon Oliver, #1)
  • The Dark Place (Gideon Oliver, #2)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Old Bones (Gideon Oliver, #4)
  • Curses! (Gideon Oliver, #5)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • Make No Bones (Gideon Oliver, #7)
  • Dead Men's Hearts (Gideon Oliver, #8)
  • Twenty Blue Devils (Gideon Oliver, #9)
  • Skeleton Dance (Gideon Oliver, #10)