Start by marking “No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)” as Want to Read:
No Time Like the Past (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #5)

No Time Like the Past

(The Chronicles of St Mary's #5)

Jodi Taylor’s best-selling series The Chronicles of St Mary is back with a bang…

St Mary’s has been rebuilt and it’s business as usual for the History department.

But first, there’s the little matter of a seventeenth-century ghost that only Mr Markham can see.

Not to mention the minor inconvenience of being trapped in the Great Fire of London…and an unfortunately-timed comfor
Published October 22nd 2015 by Accent Press (first published February 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about No Time Like the Past, please sign up.
Jodi Taylor Yes, she is! The next one - given good luck and a following wind - should be out in September. Look out for 'What Could Possibly Go Wrong?'

Bradley
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's easy for me to say that I've become a fanboy of this series. Few other books can straddle the fence so well between sympathy for all the dead and sheer enjoyment of all the frivolities. :)

That being said, this one is much less of an emotional roller coaster than all the rest, with one exception. Something good happens. As in, gather ye rosebuds as ye may, good. I won't say much more than that, especially since we're put through a ghost story, the burning of St. Mary's, the burning of London
Choko
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
*** 4.35 ***

I really enjoyed this one! I like the tone of the St. Mary's 2.0 much better, mostly because there are no ridiculous manufactured drama between Max and Leon. The drama of their travel through time is enough to keep you interested and since the author has proven that she is not afraid to kill main characters off, I find myself terrified all the time that one of my favorites, Peterson or Markham, might get the cleaver... I have grown very attached to the staff at St. Mary's and I think
Richard Derus
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4* of five

I needed catharsis in the Aristotelian sense...κάθαρσις...after the reading and thinking I've been doing. So down tools, laborer, and prepare the cup that cheers.

It cheers again. The formula holds its charms. Fun and funny and gut-wrenching and painful, exactly and precisely the formula needed for a cleansing cry, a heartening guffaw, and a wistful sigh.
Trish
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much like the previous book, this was more light-hearted.

We start off with a ghost story that turns into quite an interesting chase and a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy thing and then head straight into trouble. Wonderful sights are visited again, such as London during the inferno of 1666, Renaissance Florence and Thermopylae!

And yes, what would the time-jumping tale be without our favourite villains, Clive Ronan and Isabella Bitchface Barclay?!

Interestingly enough though the author manage
Jaya
One would think this routine would get monotonous and old after 4-5 instalments.
One couldn't possibly be more wrong...
Emma
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love this series! Another great instalment.
Jana
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Would someone with a brain PLEASE scoop this up for the small screen? I love Love LOVE this series! Dang it, I wish I worked at St. Mary's. Don’t they need a musician? I’ve taught Music History, can I qualify? Please??? Thank you, Ms. Taylor, for once again working your magic. This is a hoot and a holler and a fabulous ride!
Mark
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book. LISTEN to it. There are very few perfect matches between material and narrator, but this is one. Hard to imagine without Zara Ramm.

Good story, very funny. Highly recommend. Won't change your life, but will keep you happy while your listening.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Wow this is the second book in a row in which the Drama Llama hasn’t made an appearance. I’m not lying when I say good riddance. He/She/It was almost ruined the series for me and I almost didn’t continue after book III. But Steven was so kind as to nudge me to continue and I am so happy he did.

The best part of this series for me has been traipsing through time. I’m not a huge history buff but if there is a fun way to teach history this is it. I’m not saying it is accurate (how would I know) but
Maria Dimitrova
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another week, another St. Mary's book under the belt. I'm quite happy with this new and improved St. Mary's, mostly because we seem to have put the artificial relationship drama behind. I mean, with a bunch of disaster prone historians and assorted support staff, who needs extra drama???

For most of the characters the differences between this version of them and the previous versions are subtle except for Leon. Leon 1.0 was a brash and insensitive man, while Leon 2.0 is almost too good to be tru
Kaitlin
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the 5th book in the Chronicles of St Mary's and this one I really enjoyed following. The story continues to grip me and I was very happy that this story returned to the good old setting of St Mary's itself rather than being a trip through too many places like the 4th one was.

This once again follows Max, our main character who is filled with life and vibrance. She's a lady I'd love to meet in real life becuase she's just fabulous and the adventures she gets herself into really make me sm
Kristen
What can I say? How do you keep finding superlatives to describe the next book in one of your absolute favourite series' ever without repeating yourself?! I loved this!! SO SO MUCH!!!

My very favourite part about the writing in this series is its humour, which is off-centre and inappropriately dark, to say the very least. I adore that!! Laughing at things we know we should absolutely NOT laugh at, is not only a slightly forbidden pleasure [even if it is at fictional events] somehow just always fe
Ian
Max and her team of time travelling historians return for another romp along the timeline. In this episode they visit St Paul's Cathedral to salvage whatever they can as it's crashing down around them. Then it's on to 13th century Florence where the bonfire of the vanities is in full swing and a bunch of works by Botticelli have an appointment with the flames. Finally it's to Thermopylae where they find themselves accidentally risking the timeline and possibly altering history. The Spartans can' ...more
Marjolein
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I went into this having certain expectations. I was not disappointed.

Returning to St Mary's was great (even though I only left for half a day). Your favorite time-traveling historians return in order to cause more mayhem. No Time Like The Past focuses slightly more on St Mary's related problems, as they travel back in time to investigate the mysterious ghost that Markham keeps seeing, try to secure some more treasures to be found on th
Kathrin
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: time-travel
The thing that draws me to this series is the lighting speed of the plot. Each book is not just one adventure but five. Once again, I just adore Zara Ramm's narration, it makes the story cone to life.
Rbucci
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Much like the other books, fast paced and full of history. I love reading and following the relationships between the characters.
Karsyn
As always, awesome to be back at St Mary's.

Not one of my favorites, another 4.5, but still really really enjoyable and really can't quite put my finger on what wasn't as enjoyable for me. Just some duller parts for me this time around. Still really enjoyable!
Gina Boyd
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite of the series, because it might be the funniest. I laughed aloud a few times, but I also kept realizing that I was just grinning like an idiot as I read. I'm grinning now.
Josie Jaffrey
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Watch The Gin Book Club's video review here: https://www.josiejaffrey.com/single-p...

This is the first time in the St Mary's series that will find you at a disadvantage if you haven't read the short stories that precede it. I'd recommend reading all of them anyway, because they're great fun, but I would particularly recommend reading The Christmas Present before you start this book, because some elements of the story are continued.

This fifth book in the St Mary's series felt more episodic than t
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
Rollicking time travel adventure. Makes no sense, yet, I find I enjoy them.
Anita Reads
[3.5 stars]
The St. Mary’s is a secret place where historians travels back in time to record what actually went on, only to return to present time and sharing the knowledge with the world. Only someone has decided to go back themselves to try and change things for their own benefits, so instead people at St. Mary’s travels back to prevent this from happening.

In this one St. Mary’s has changed a little bit after events that happened in the previous book. We actually saw a lot more of this book fro
Linette
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another excellent outing with the disaster prone history department of St. Mary's.
puppitypup
Adventure/Romance Sigh...

At last, the happy ending! Plus, just today, Book #7 appeared on Goodreads. That means I still have two books to go. I am one happy camper!

I love this series, I can definitively say it is my favorite of all time.

I've been reading these while hubby is out of town, which is probably a good thing. I've just about rolled off the couch laughing a time or two. I can get away with that every once in a while with a book, but for a whole week straight, hubby would be looking at
Wealhtheow
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Being a time traveling historian is hard and dangerous work, and enfant terrible Max has become an elder statesman through the loss of many colleagues. Luckily most of the core group of freaks that she works with, like accident prone Markham or vicious nurse Helen, are still around to keep life interesting. Max goes on several excursions into the past (The Grand Exhibition! Thermopylae!) and even survives Visitor's Day at St.Mary's. It's all very charming and funny. I'm torn between wanting more ...more
Rhuddem Gwelin
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Few series have been so enjoyable to read. I love these books, this one is no exception. If you haven't yet read about Max and her mad colleagues, time-travelling historians, then you really have something to look forward to.
Patty Shimer
Story was great but,editing is bad.

Misspellings and a lot of wordsrunning together. I love her stories and wait for her books to come out but, the editing really hurt the story.
Holly
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed the story but I found the editing/kerning errors distracting.
Caroline
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another higgledy-piggledy storyline involving Max, Leon, Markam, Peterson (my favourite), and the rest of the St Mary's crew. This book includes insights into the Fire of London, Thermopylae, Botticelli's Florence, but not before we start with 17th Century St Mary's where a few crew members go back to because Markham keeps seeing a ghost that keeps repeatedly falling off the roof - it turns out to be him.
The team do another two artifact rescues to top up Thirsk's treasury. The first one goes ho
Trelawn
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love that Markham is getting more of a role in the last few books as he is such a great character. In this one it is Markham seeing a ghost that nobody else can see that propels them on an adventure to a past St Marys. There is a disastrous visit to Old St Paul's during the Great Fire of London where Clive Ronan and Isabella Barclay take being bastards up a notch. My favourite was the visit to Thermopylae though. Sure it was fun reading about the 300 Spartans at the Gates of Fire but more fun ...more
John
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The reader can be assured that in reading any book in the Chronicle of St. Mary's series that straightforward time travel jaunts are anything but easy. During the 5th book, the series' protagonist Madeleine Maxwell ("Max") and St. Mary's gang find themselves traveling to the past to the Great Fire of London to save historical artifacts from being destroyed and to the Battle of Thermopylae, a major conflict between an alliance of Greek city states and the Persians under Xerxes. If these sites wer ...more
Fantasy Buddy Reads: No Time Like the Past [August 2018] 22 33 Aug 26, 2018 07:33PM
  • James Games
  • The Junior Bridesmaid
  • Peacemaker (The Flash Gold Chronicles, #3)
  • Evil Red (Aurora Sky: Vampire Hunter, #2.6)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder #1)
  • Mastered (The Mastered Saga #1)
  • The Troll
  • Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge
  • Skarlet (The Vampire Trinity, #1)
  • A Time of Shadows (Out of Time, #8)
  • The Infinity Cage (TimeRiders, #9)
  • Andrea Vernon and the Corporation for UltraHuman Protection
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2013
  • Elleander Morning
  • The Gem Thief
  • Slow Boat
  • The Purloined Number (There Goes the Galaxy #2)
  • Mind Over Ship
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -

Just One Damned Thing Aft

The Chronicles of St Mary's (10 books)
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #1)
  • A Symphony of Echoes (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #2)
  • A Second Chance (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #3)
  • A Trail Through Time (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #4)
  • What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6)
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and History (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #7)
  • And the Rest is History (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #8)
  • An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #9)
  • Hope for the Best (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10)
“There’s something very satisfying about outwitting religious fanaticism.” 7 likes
“Believe it or not, there were rules. Everyone needs rules. After all, how can you break what doesn’t exist? Rules give anarchy something to aim at.” 6 likes