Start by marking “Enter the Janitor (The Cleaners, #1)” as Want to Read:
Enter the Janitor (The Cleaners, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Enter the Janitor

(The Cleaners #1)

Clean-freak college student Dani Hashelheim never imagined she’d discover her latent magical ability in, of all places, a bathroom. But when she ducks into the ladies’ room at the library, she’s put in the crossfire between an elderly janitor and a ravenous muck-monster that emerges from the sink. Dani’s previously unknown power manifests in self-defense, and she floods an ...more
Published May 4th 2015 by Wordfire Press (first published May 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Enter the Janitor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter the Janitor

Start your review of Enter the Janitor (The Cleaners, #1)
Krista
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up at the 2015 Denver Comic Con, where it was described to me as what could have happened if Harry from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files had choose to be a Janitor instead of a detective. Intrigued I immediately started reading it. I was not disappointed.

Set in Denver, Enter the Janitor, brings you an experienced wizard/supernatural janitor (cleaner), Ben, who gains within the first chapters a germaphobe apprentice, Dani. I immediately fell in love with the characters of Ben with h
Mieneke
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
When I read the synopsis for JR Vogt's Enter the Janitor I was immediately intrigued, because who could resist the phrase "supernatural sanitation company"? Furthermore, the grumpy. old mentor figure paired with a newbie overcoming all odds, is one of my favourite tropes, in whatever media form you can imagine. Vogt's interpretation of the eternal battle between order and chaos also seemed as if it would be really funny, though I did wonder whether its premise of magical cleaners wouldn't become ...more
Tony Peak
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Dani, medical student and germaphobe extraordinaire, stumbles upon a battle between Ben, a magic-using janitor, and a clot-hound, a beast lurking in the restroom plumbing, she displays unusual powers that saves Ben in the nick of time. Without even realizing it, she has entered the world of the Cleaners, who serve the forces of Purity to battle the vile minions of Corruption. Oh, and to make sure there’s always toilet paper in every stall.

Not just another toilet-plunging epic, Enter the Jan
Abby Goldsmith
The best thing about this book? A believable friendship that forms between a crotchety old man who cleans toilets for a living, and a female pre-med college student. And it wasn't a sexual relationship! An actual friendship! Refreshing to see that.

The second best thing? The crotchety old man and the pretty college student aren't what they seem at first glance. I can't talk about that without giving spoilers.

I like that this heroine has a major character flaw--mysophobia--that remains consisten
BookLoversLife
What a fun an unique ride!! It may be a dirty and extremely dangerous job, but someone has to do it! And that falls to the Cleaners, a supernatural sanitation company that not only cleans dirt and grime, but fights the dark and dangerous monsters who thrive in such conditions.

Poor Dani, a super clean freak, who longs to be a doctor, finds out about the Cleaners in the most horrible place ever...., well to her anyway, the public bathroom!! What starts as a normal bathroom routine, again for her a
Janelle
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Supernatural sanitation company. I was wandering around the Rose City Comic Con looking for a friend of mine when I stopped at the booths where authors were selling their books. The author of this book came up to me and asked if I liked fantasy. I told him that I did, but I that I was also interested in trying something new. He took out this book and as soon as he said that the book was about a supernatural sanitation company, I was immediately sold. It was so different and such a switch from wh ...more
Delta
Apr 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun book, but I was promised Men in Black with mops. While you get a similar feeling of a cover-up agency, the magicky bits take it out of the realm of realistic fantasy for me. I didn't really like Dani that much. She whines so much, even for a teenager. The humor was almost there, but kept falling short of actually funny. I know there are a lot of people that will enjoy this book out there.

Michael Gilboe did a great job narrating. I find some of his characters' accents unnecessary, but I never
Andrew Rose
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What I loved about it was that it wasn't a stereotypical paranormal fantasy book, where the heroes are completely ignorant of their abilities but become instant warriors once they have discovered them. In this book Dani isn't Buffy Summers with a clean fetish. She's more Adrian Monk, forced into heroics at mop-point. Ben isn't Han Solo, he's more Grandpa Simpson, irritable and wise but used to being on his own. I received this book in exchange for a fair review but I would have honestly have bou ...more
April
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
"This audiobook was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Blast."

Enter The Janitor is a crazy, zany, book. As a person who works in the custodial services, I'm waiting for my magical powers to defeat the disgusting monsters. Fun to listen to and laugh out loud. I'm not impressed with Ben being portrayed as someone that uses wrong words in the wrong places. Janitors are not stupid.

The narration was well done. The charac
Brie Paris
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although it took me a little time to connect to, this book is fantastic. The writing, world-building, and character development are incredibly clever, and it really gains momentum as you get into it. It's very engrossing in both concept and style. Can't wait for the sequel!

See my full review here: https://mylitfit.wordpress.com/2015/0...
John Adkins
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Humorous Urban Fantasy

Follow magical janitor Ben and germaphobic college student Dani as they battle scum. One eventful day at her college library, Dani discovers that a secret war is being waged just below our awareness. She also discovers that she has latent magical power that she must learn to use. Her life has changed forever and she may never be clean again.
Joseph
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. Written more in a serial style, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice variation on the urban fantasy theme.
Albert Yates
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: storybundle, monsters
I don't know where this book sits with me. On one hand I really liked it, on the other I couldn't stand it.

While I really liked the characters, Dani in particular - her germaphobia was a nice touch, parts of the story just didn't fit well with me.

It wasn't until I was more than 1/2 way through the book which was a little too far, to be honest when I finally began to understand the story. It's essentially a story of good versus evil, Purity (cleanliness) vs Corrupt (filth).

The whole concept of t
Catherine
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Someone loaned me this book during an emergency hospital stay. She thought it would be funny but under the circumstances, it wasn't, and that may influence this review.
Janitors (and Maids) work for Purity to eliminate the monsters of Corruption and save the world. Think "Get Smart" meets "Shadowhunter". Dani, a germaphobe, is forcibly recruited to the Cleaners when she accidentally sees Ben battle a monster in her college's library's ladies' room. Turns out Dani has vey powerful elemental magi
Brandi Ortiz
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally write reviews because it's hard for me to put my feelings into words, but this book was awesome. It was funny, messy and a great story. I really liked the way it was written. The story flowed. Not to mention I won this book in a goodreads giveaway, and the author contacted me to ask what i wanted written in the autograph. I thought that was a very nice touch. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Craig Jr.
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The author pitched this book to me as "If Harry Dresden were a janitor". Overall, I liked the book. I think I was hoping for a bit more humor in the book, perhaps a bit more 'over the top', like Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. It had its moments of comedic relief, but janitors being super heroes with magical abilities, I sort of hoped for a bit more ridiculous humor. I did enjoy the book, and the narration was well done with the audio. I will be checking out the next book in the series.
Elisabeth
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Good fun, great characters, engaging story. Urban fantasy pleasantly free of the usual roster of vampires, werewolves, etc., and a female lead who rolls her eyes at romantic tropes right alongside the reader. Highly recommended.
Linda
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

This story starts a bit funny, but sucks the reader in to a tightly written struggle between purity, corruption, and common sense. It's about yin, yang, and balance. I enjoyed it.
Joan Wendland
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good clean fun

If you take “cleanliness is godliness” to its logical extreme, turns out you get an unusual romp of urban fantasy. Plenty of twists and turns makes this a fun light read.
Chrissa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 to 3.75 stars. This was a fun book, although my own squeamishness kept me at arms length for good portions of it. Funny and a good take on the good/evil dichotomy. I would definitely read additional books in the series.
Jim Henderson
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting characters and an interesting twist on the world.

At one point it seemed to get a bit slow, but then things twisted and it was very interesting.

Good book and promising intro to a series.
Eric
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was fun. Your secret monster stopping agency is... janitors. I'm not going to attempt to describe it or compare it. If you want some light fare, this is just what you're looking for.
Tom
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun read. Similar to MIB but with "filthy" creatures.
Eugene Tellier
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found it highly enjoyable.
Shoshana Hathaway
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The synopsis barely does this book justice. It is possibly one of the most unique urban fantasies I’ve ever read, and, in its way, one of the most complicated. It’s environment is one that we generally don’t like to think about, involving, as it does, all manner of filth, from sewers to garbage dumps and everything in between. In fact, this book was so edgy and bizarre that I spent half of it deciding not to finish it ..in a minute or so, and then I realized that this book was something special, ...more
Jeffrey Grant
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
When a market is saturated it's definitely hard to stand out and do it well. Unfortunately this book didn't quite do it for me.

The initial idea is well-formed. Many books that feature a force of good combating evil will make a quip at some point that they're "cleaning up messes" or act as "the world's janitors" or some sort of similar analogy. In this case it's literal; the agents of good appear in the world and use the tools of literal janitors. Their newest unwitting recruit happens to be mys
Karli
I was really looking forward to this book. It seemed like a Doctor Who type story (of which I'm a big fan) and the unique idea of janitors fighting evil was very compelling. I fully expected to enjoy this read and therefore had a hard time admitting that I wasn't having the greatest reading experience.

My main problem was that it was so hard to follow. I've read and listened to many complex books, but I just couldn't get a handle on this one. I'm not even sure why! Sadly I constantly had to go b
Alex Mu
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
This book lands on 3.5/5 for me. (Which is the 'It was good, I enjoyed it, and I might reread it sometime). Note: This is for the audio version of the book.

This was an entertaining book. The author could have fallen into the potty-joke one-liner book trap, but thankfully didn’t (though there are some good ones in here). I liked Ben's character. The author did a good job of getting him across as a ‘grumpy with charm’ personality, that you can’t help but like him (and know that deep down inside al
Tamara Riley-wilson
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Beware the monster lurking in the toilet!"
First we had Men in Black who protected the world from rogue extraterrestrials and helped relocate friendly ones. Now we have The Janitors, the men and women in green( or pink or whatever color your super swat janitorial suits decides is your best color) who protect humanity from the supernatural horrors that inhabits the pipes, ducts and sewers. Those alligators terrorizing the sewers are not just urban legends. Their mean, their green and they work fo

• The Mayor of Noobtown (Noobtown, #1)
  • Mage Throne Prophecy
  • Hand Made Mage
  • Village of Noobtown (Noobtown, #2)
  • Duty Calls: The adventure continues (The Duty Trilogy Book 2)
  • The Derelict Duty: A Space Adventure (The Duty, #1)
  • The Dungeon Traveler
  • Traveling the Dungeon (Dungeon Travels Book 2)
  • The Dungeon Fairy: A Dungeon Core Escapade (The Hapless Dungeon Fairy #1)
  • Relics of Eternity
  • Castle of the Noobs (Noobtown, #3)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • An Affinity for Steel: The Aeon's Gate Omnibus
  • Brave Story
  • The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1)
  • Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
  • The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #3)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
Author Josh Vogt’s work covers fantasy, science fiction, horror, humor, pulp, and more. His debut fantasy novel is Pathfinder Tales: Forge of Ashes, alongside the launch of his urban fantasy series, The Cleaners, with Enter the Janitor, The Maids of Wrath, and The Dustpan Cometh. He’s a freelance writer and editor, a Scribe Award and Compton Crook Award nominee, and a member of both SFWA and the I ...more

The Cleaners (3 books)
  • The Maids of Wrath (The Cleaners, #2)
  • The Dustpan Cometh