Start by marking “Darkness Rising” as Want to Read:

(Chateau Seductions #0.5)

Antoine Chevalier harbors a secret. Born a gargoyle shifter, he wants nothing more than to cultivate his art. His hard work pays off the night he completes his greatest sculpture. But the excitement of his accomplishment doesn’t last.

He’s drawn the eye of the wrong group — a coven of vampires. Antoine wakes into darkness, changed. Shattered. His dream of becoming a renowne
Published July 7th 2015 by Lisa Carlisle

To ask other readers questions about Darkness Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness Rising

Start your review of Darkness Rising
BooksandBeyondFiftyShades
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*5 Star Review*

Antoine Chevalier is different than the people around him. He has a secret that no ordinary person can possibly know. One night his world is turned upside down. Is it possible for him to come out of this struggle with the little that is left of his humanity? Will all his hopes and dreams be just a thing of the past?

If you ever wondered who Antoine was before his life at the Les Beaux Arts at the Chateau DeRoche, this will fill in all the missing pieces. It is a short story that go
Roxanne Johnson-bisland
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What!! art, gargoyles, vampires and humans.
I can not wait to read book 1 to read more of Antoine and Savannah's story.
Vampires attacking a Gargoyle to turn him, hoping he will be their protector. He goes and watches his clan, seeing his parents for the last time he embrasses his new life. His Gargoyle traits never leaving him, he saves a man who is being attacked by multiple men. He has the choice to change the man or wait and see if the injuries kill the man.
The unlikely pair after a time open
Linda
I cannot imagine reading the series without reading DARKNESS RISING first.

They’d stolen his life.
And rebirthed him as a monster.

DARKNESS RISING by Lisa Carlisle is an intriguing, highly emotional introduction to her Chateau Seductions series. I’m already a fan of Lisa’s Knights of Stone series which features gargoyles along with witches and shifters. When I saw that her Chateau Seductions series also involved gargoyles with the addition of vampires in conjunction with an artful theme, I knew
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Prequel!
This is a great short story and the prequel to the Chateau Seductions series by Lisa Carlisle. This book tells us Antoine’s story. Antoine was born a gargoyle in Paris, all he cared about was his art and all of his hard work paid off the night he completed his greatest sculpture. However, his dreams are destroyed when he is turned into a vampire. I loved Antoine’s story and he overcame his struggles of being a gargoyle/vampire and how he ended up starting over. I am looking forward
Donna Hokanson
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Intro to the world of the Chateau
This book tells the beginning life of Antoine – a Gargoyle turned Vampire against his will, and his struggles and passage of time. Eventually his going off on his own to a new world and to creating the Chateau for budding artist. And the beginnings about the first woman to capture his interest in over a century. Well written and very entertaining to read.
AK Mama Reads
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-review
Antoine has a tortured past, and here in his short story we learn more about that past. His charm, sensual mysteriousness and creative passion are all on display, through his own thoughts and actions. If you haven't fallen in love with the Dark Stranger yet, start reading today!
5 stars!

***Free arc in exchange for honest opinion.***
Raina Collins
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short romantic story. Can't wait to read more about Antoine.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Darkness Rising is a short prequel to the Chateau Seductions series. We meet Antoine for the first time, and see how his life changed from being a gargoyle sculpter, to becoming a gargoyle/vampire hybrid recluse, owning a chateau and helping artists.

This isn't a long book, but it definitely helps to give you an insight into the enigmatic owner of the chateau. You are with him through the years as he says goodbye to his family and learns how to cope by himself. Two characters are introduced who w
Julie Jackson
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for SNS

Antoine was attacked and turned vampire. Being a gargoyle already made him super powerful. He left the vamps and ends up buying a castle in Boston Harbor. He meets Savannah there after he offers her a scholarship into his program. Savannah makes him see the light again.
Great intro book. I can’t wait to see what this series will hold.
Linda
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it

This is a new to me author and I have to say I absolutely enjoyed reading this book. I will definitely be looking for more books in the series and other books by Lisa Carlisle.
Sherry Haynes
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story covers gargoyles and vampires. From what I can tell it sets the stage on how it all began for the series. It covers decades within the short story but it gives just enough info and details that I want more. Will definitely read more of the series
Deborah
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stone Cold Wrong

He was attacked and forced to become something he never wanted to be. But he's made the best life that he could. Enjoy I did.
Deborah Gebhardt
This was a fast cliffhanger teaser for a series of short stories about Antoine & Savannah. ...more
Sue
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short introduction to the Chateau Seductions series, Gargoyle turned vampire is an interesting mix, Antoine certainly seems like an interesting character.
It left me wanting to read more.
Melvena Asa
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Darkness Rising

Great book and Great start to this series. It can only get better from here. This is a brief get to know how it begins.
Spunky N Sassy
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 5.0

~~~~~~~~~~Tracy's ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

When Antoine Chevalier was born a gargoyle shifter he lived off his art as a sculpture until one night he is attacked by a coven of vampires in the hope of becoming their great weapon. Antoine despises who has become, so after decades of struggle he meets Savannah, the one woman who will change everything for him but this is his story of his beginning. I loved meeting Antoine and all he suffered. I can't wait to dive into this ser
Heidi
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Love this vampire hes so strong and sexy. It's a shitty way he got turned, I would definitely hold a grudge. definitely a great read, makes you want tho keep turning pages. I already have the box set to finish the series probably won't be able To Put it down until I finish it.
Deb
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fiction Adults 18+
Omg! This is the first book I've ever read by this talented author & I was hooked from the start, right thru to the end & then was left craving more! ... Ms. Carlisle has a way with weaving a work of art with fantastic attention to details, a totally unique storyline in contemporary PNR fiction with cool gargoyle shifters & hot vampires... This romantic suspense has well defined characters that rounds out a short story intro for an awesome new series that I can't wait to delve into! ... Even tho ...more
Parker
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Antoine is an up and coming artist living in Paris he is also a gargoyle shifter. After finishing his masterpiece one night he is attacked by vampires who believe they can turn him and use him as a weapon. After waking up transformed Antoine realises he will have to make a choice will he work with the vampires or find a piece of his former self. Years later Antoine has controlled the monster within and has started to rebuild his life.

I loved the emotion that the writer draws from you as a reade
Heidi
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet love story, w/ dark sex scenes the way he tries to keep her safe is sweet but ur heart wants what it wants, can't wait to finish the series
Linda Levine
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Antoine was a gargoyle shifter until a vampire turned him. He hated his new life and wanted nothing more than to be free of the vampires. He loves art and many years later develops an art colony. He invites one artist to join him who he feels a connection too as soon as he sees her information. She tempts him but he is afraid of pulling her into his life. Savannah's view of the colony and Antoine comes next and I would enjoy reading her impressions. I think that is what I missed in this story. I ...more
iliana G
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC by the author to beta read,read and review.

It is such a jo to finally see the beginning of Antoine's story and how the Rochelle Cheauty came to be.

Antoine Chevalier is a gargoyle shifter living in Paris. When he's attacked by rogue vampires,
he's forced to abandon his identity and must recreate himself in a world now filled with darkness.

This book has action and love and struggle...it has it all.

If you haven't read the Rochelle Cheauty Series then this is a good start and i can
Country Goose
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Why?

Why has it become such a trend to stop in the middle of a story and call it a book? It drives me crazy! I refuse to buy sequels to so-called "books" like this because it is likely the pattern of the series.

If this was a full book, I would give a higher rating. As it stands, it is unfinished, so it deserves nothing more.

The majority of this chapter, if you will, is Antoine's history, how he becomes vampire, his love of art, and how the Château turned from a dream into reality.

His character is
Dora
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Antoine Chevalier was a gargoyle shifter turned into a vampire. The vampires taught him how to survive being a vampire. He stayed with them to spy and protect the gargoyles beside he had nowhere. He learned all that he could because he stayed with them for a lot of years until he decided to leave and be by himself. His actions were direct to protect the humans so, friends and love were waiting for him. Liked the development of the story and how the author presented how he made peace with his new ...more
Annette Woods
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend reading this book it is a story about a gargoyle being turned into a vampire. Antoine story tells about the changes that come about with the attack on him & how he takes this & with some struggles turns it into a positive in his life & more. I can't wait to read about what happens next with Savannah . Would recommend this story was well written & couldn't put it down.
Carolyn Brown
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great Intro

A man (gargoyle) roaming the streets after finishing his stone sculpture, is attacked by a group of vampires.
This leads to a lot of twist and turns in his life until after a few decades he has decided what he wants.
The question is can he have it?
This is Great introduction into this series.
Just bought and starting book 1
Sheryl
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given a complementary copy for an honest review by author Lisa Carlisle.

Antoine Chevalier lived in Paris and was attacked by vampires now he is no longer the being he was. Through out the years he invested in real estate and soon had enough money to buy a castle which becomes an art colony.

Loved the characters and story line.

This is for any paranormal romance book lover.
Elizabeth holmes
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this novella in exchange for an honest review.

This piece is a prequel to the author's Chateaux Seductions series. If you like the series then you'll like this novella.

It is quite short, being only four chapters but it answers some questions about Antoine.

I haven't read any of the series yet but having read this piece I will be trying to get my hands on some of Lisa's other books.
Patricia Burleson
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good

A good book but to short. It has a little action and a friendship. Vampires mixed with Gargoyles is an interesting take. I'm sure the next one is good as well. So get it and enjoy.
Rosa Maria Garcia
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great Book

The author created a beautiful introduction to a short and sweet story. Loved how she explained what happened to the gargoyle and the struggles he had to go through to not be a killer. So ready to read the next one.
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Please add cover 6 26 Apr 04, 2016 04:39PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 2 11 Jan 06, 2016 07:12AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 2 13 Jan 05, 2016 01:37PM

• Turned
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Dragon Desire (Tooth & Claw #1)
  • Mister Dark (Dangerous Warlocks #1)
  • Dark Desires (Dangerous Warlocks #2)
  • Dragon Devotion (Tooth & Claw #2)
  • Bear Affection (Tooth & Claw #4)
  • List of Authors I Follow: How to Find Your List
  • The Sinner (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #18)
  • Haunted: A Vampire Blood Lust Romance (Vampire Paranormal Romance, #2)
  • Engulfed Wolf (Wolf Shifters of Ember Abyss, #3)
  • Mate for the Rogue Wolf: Cajun Werewolves of the Bayou (Paranormal Medical Romance Book 3)
  • Ensnared Wolf (Wolf Shifters of Ember Abyss, #1)
  • Enthralled Wolf (Wolf Shifters of Ember Abyss, #2)
  • Fated Bear Mate: Bear Shifters of Ember Abyss (Bear's Fated Mate, #2)
  • Enchanted Wolf
  • Taken by the Rogue Wolf: Cajun Werewolves of the Bayou (Paranormal Medical Romance Book 4)
  • Protecting His Mate (Wolf Shifters of Wakerlin, #2)
USA Today bestselling author Lisa Carlisle loves stories with dark, brooding heroes and independent heroines. She’s honored to be a multi-published author writing in different genres since she’s wanted to be a writer since the sixth grade. For much of her professional career, she’s written non-fiction — but she’s discovered writing romance is the most fun. Her romances have been named Top Picks at ...more

Chateau Seductions (3 books)
  • Dark Velvet (Chateau Seductions, #1)
  • Dark Muse (Chateau Seductions, #2)
  • Dark Stranger (Chateau Seductions, #3)

News & Interviews

“Walk away. Leave her be.
And let this opportunity pass?
Relinquish the chance to be alone with her while she admired his art?
The temptation was too much to resist.”
1 likes