Start by marking “People We Love” as Want to Read:
People We Love

People We Love

Her life is on hold – until an unlikely visitor climbs in through the kitchen window

A year after her brother’s fatal accident, Lexie’s life seems to have reached a dead end. She is back home in small-town Hailesbank with her shell-shocked parents, treading softly around their fragile emotions.

As the family business drifts into decline, Lexie’s passion for painting and for
Published August 20th 2015 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about People We Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People We Love

Start your review of People We Love
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It did take me a while to settle into this story, not entirely sure why. Each chapter starts off with a shoe donation with a little bit of history about the owner of the shoe. Not being a shoe lover it did take me a while to also appreciate the actual meaning of these brief posts and have to say by the end it did get me rather emotional.

Lexi is an artist trying to get on with her life after the loss of her much loved brother. I think with anyone who dies at a relatively young age, it's hard for
Ashley
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You're going to need a whole box of tissues to read this one. In the middle of the story, I felt like I was crying every five minutes! And then when you're finished, I think we should all head over to iflist.com and choose our dream cast, because this book seriously deserves to be a movie. It is beautifully told. The juxtaposition of each of the points of view, and the past and present, was done phenomenally well.

As I was reading this book, I wasn't sure who I wanted Lexie to end up with, or if
Simona
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktours
*Book provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

People We Love was my first book by Jenny Harper and I really liked the whole story and idea behind it.

Unfortunately it took me quite a while to get into the story. I liked Lexie as a character, but I couldn’t really find a connection to her. I loved her passion for painting and especially her little project with the shoes she developped. There is such a beautiful message behind it, just so adorable.

Lexie, her family and friends
Tracey
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gorgeous and moving story!

We meet Lexie at a time when her grief for the loss of her brother is still raw and her family seems to be broken. It takes a strange encounter for Lexie to begin to find her strength and she starts to rediscover herself again. Though her past is hard to escape when faced with her former lovers. Cameron broke her heart and Patrick seemed to only want her talent and a brief tumble in his bed.

It’s those who care for Lexie who encourage her to heal and when Edith returns
Alba
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2015/03...

This was my first book by Jenny Harper but probably won't be the last as I found People We Love to be a beautiful tale. Lexie was a joy to read about, with her crazy red hair and her obsession with vintage clothing (she doesn't even own a pair of jeans!). But she really was a very lovable character. She and her family had gone through so much with her brother's death that they had fallen in a dark place and didn't know how to get out.
Joan
A stunningly beautiful story that reduced me to tears at one point and contained one of those moments when you are merrily 'living' the book, there in the room with the characters and a sentence reaches out and grabs you as if the author has turned round, seen you and holds out her hand to include you in her world. Yes.. that makes no sense really, but it's the way I felt when I was reading about Edith and Charlotte and then I read this:
(view spoiler)
Norma Reasor
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

A beautiful story of loss on many levels, grief, friendship, love, forgiveness and letting go. A story of growth. Most of all, Love.
Danielle
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely book, and I loved the book donations and their supporting stories. Really engaging, and I can absolutely imagine this book in film!
Dawn
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ecopy of this book in exchange for an honest review as part of a blog tour organised by Charlotte at Candlelit Tours which I'm more than happy to do.

Alexa (Lexie) is an artist and was about to launch her first exhibition when her brother was tragically killed in a car accident. She and her family are coping - just! Each in their own way. He was killed in a car accident, whist driving over the legal alcohol limit - something that was seemingly out of character for him, thus leaving
Sophie
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Posted originally http://www.reviewedthebook.co.uk/2015...

People We Love is a touching novel with an emphasis on relationships and the love, pain and heartache that come with them. Lexie and her family are grieving after the death of her brother Jamie and still struggling to take that final step to try to get on with their lives, as hard as that is. For anyone who’s grieving, anyone who’s been knocked down and is finding it hard to pick themselves back up, People We Love is the book to read. It
Jody
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review first posted on my blog: http://spoonfulofhappyendings.blogspo...

The book tells the story of Alexa Gordon, also known as Lexie, who is trying to pick up her life after the unexpected death of her beloved brother Jamie. She’s back in her hometown Hailesbank and tries to help her family and the family business. However, what Lexie loves most is to paint; it has always been her dream of having her own show at a gallery, but due to everything that has happened this dream is still just a
BestChickLit.com
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and poignant, People We Love will keep you attached to its pages via your heartstrings. In her new novel, Jenny Harper proves to have a deep understanding of love and relationships, especially those between family members.

As the Gordon family find themselves swallowed up by grief, they are adrift and lost in their pain. With only daughter Lexie to moor themselves to, she takes the emotional brunt of their heartache but struggles to bring her parents back to the people they once were.

Beth
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
only reason im giving it 4 is because it took my awhile to get into it, other than that I loved it!
I really think Jenny has written something really fantastic!

I really liked Lexies character! She was such a loveable character.

this was such a beautiful love story that I teared up a little bit. It was so touching and heartfelt I just adored it.

Jenny has written such a brilliant story that was so moving that you just want more.
This is the first story I have read by Jenny and I can telll I want to
Lorraine Nelson
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good read. enjoyed it
Hils
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable read. This is the first book I have read by this author but I will certainly read more.
Libre Paley
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book comes with a warm recommendation from romantic novelist Katie Fforde on its cover, and I can see why. Like Fforde's much-devoured works, it's in a similar genre of 'intelligent romance' and with a similar small-town setting, populated with lovable and quirky (and predominantly white middle-class) characters - in this case the fictional Hailesbank in Scotland.
Creative and off-beat Lexie is coping with the recent loss of her brother in a car accident alongside the ending of a romance
Joanne
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lexie is the main character in this book and she, along with her family, are struggling to move on a year after her brother died in a car accident. Elderly and confused Edith arrives suddenly and quite dramatically in the family's life one day with an unexpected connection to the house. As Lexie begins to take tentative steps towards living for herself again, she also finds she may contemplate love once more when old flame Cameron comes back into her life.

People We Love is a book I was caught up
j white
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shoes.

I loved this book, it follows the story of Lexie. A talented artist who for varies reasons had temporarily given up on her art. Alexis is also mixed up over two men, Cameron the charming but immature ex who had left her without any word only to reappear 6 years later ready to commit. Or so he says. Then there is Patrick, the suave, sophisticated gallery owner. Lexie had been his protege and his lover before he hurt her very badly. Would pride prevent Lexie being with her true love? The
Gillian Oyston
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good read

Have enjoyed reading this book the story line is good with an interesting theme about shoes and what they say about people's lives. The characters are fun and you can feel their sorrow in what they have gone through and how focusing on a subject helps to heal. I like the idea of creating a book and painting pictures about the different shoes that people sent to lexie and her believing in herself to do that. It's funny where people hide things and how the elderly remember what happened
Mrs Christine Rudge
A unique story told in a unique way

An extremely human story of love and loss, of human frailties and fortitude and relationships, bound up with the stories that shoes have to tell, the significance of which only becomes apparent as the story unfolds.
An engrossing read that, when you have been able to put it down, is waiting to welcome you back with the promise of unfolding more mysteries of past and present lives and different relationships.
Carol
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, loved the way it was written with the shoes telling stories about people's lives, what a wonderful and simple idea. The theme of recovery from tragedy ran through the book well, with such believeable characters. Expected ending, but that did not detract from the "magic" of the book. My first by Jenny Harper, but would read more. Feel sad to have finished the story.
Jenny Barclay
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring read

A story that takes you through sadness, anger, frustration , inspiration, regret to joy and love. I loved the book and was sad to finish it as the characters had become so real that I wanted the story to keep going. I will now look for more books by Jenny Harper.
Ellie
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light-hearted, easy read about love and loss. I thought the plot was original and the main characters were well-developed. I enjoyed reading this novel and will look out for more by Jenny Harper.
alice
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Loved the picture the author paints with words. Will make readers laugh and cry. Very good.
sally mcdonnell
Nice storyline

Good book, kept me interested. Wasn't that keen on the ending, it just seemed to come to an abrupt end!! It could have tied up some loose ends.
Sharron
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this in one go, liked the way the different threads of story are interwoven and produced a tear or two and a happy ending
Dawn
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the theme & characters of this book. Great read that I would highly recommend!
NormaCenva
This e-book was very handy used to pass the time during my latest travels. Entertaining and interesting.
Diane Plant
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
brilliant read
Shaz Goodwin
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for book tour (review coming 18th March).

• One Glass Is Never Enough
  • A Cornish Christmas Reunion
  • Who Needs Men Anyway?
  • A Fresh Start In Holly Blue Bay (A Holly Blue Bay Romance Book 1)
  • Lie to Me
  • A Cotswold Christmas
  • The Darkest Lies (DI Hogarth Darkest Series, #1)
  • Talk to Me
  • Two Fridays in April
  • We'll Meet Again
  • Coming Home to the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #3)
  • The Last Goodbye
  • Christmas Glitter (Moore Sisters of Montana, #1)
  • Summer at the Comfort Food Cafe (Comfort Food Cafe #1)
  • The Forget-Me-Not Flower Shop
  • The Ludlow Ladies' Society
  • Whiskey River Rescue (Whiskey River, #1)
  • Dazed and Divorced (Rom-Com on the Edge #1)