Start by marking “The Loneliness of Distant Beings (Ventura Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Loneliness of Distant Beings (Ventura Saga, #1)

The Loneliness of Distant Beings

(Ventura Saga #1)

'It is that quick, it is that strong, it is that beautiful. And it is also totally impossible.'

Even though she knows it's impossible, Seren longs to have the sunshine on her skin. It's something she feels she needs to stay sane. But when you're floating through space at thousands of kilometres an hour, sometimes you have to accept there are things you cannot change.

Except
Published May 19th 2016 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

Start your review of The Loneliness of Distant Beings (Ventura Saga, #1)
Sarah Elizabeth
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and NetGalley.)

“We are responsible for our own survival, for the survival of our species. And it is our duty, every one of ours, to make that our priority.”

This was a YA sci-fi/romance story, featuring a group of people living on a space ship.

Seren was a girl who spoke out about her thoughts and didn’t care what other people thought, even when it got her into big tr
Aditi
“I want you here. I don't care if it's a hundred degrees and every blade of grass dies. Without you, none of that matters to me.”

----Kami Garcia

Kate Ling, an English author pens a heart-touching and fascinating YA science-fiction in her debut book, The Loneliness of Distant Beings that narrates the story of a young teenager who longs to live life in her own way not by the rules set by the leader of the spaceship that she and her family has been resident of for hundreds of years and will be fo
Seren was born on a spaceship and, along with her entire family, she knows it is where she will die. Her ancestors volunteered to take part in a deep space mission expected to last over 700 years in order to investigate a signal received by earth and hopefully make first contact with a new alien species. Life on the spaceship is strictly regimented, jobs are assigned according to skills and even your future partner is selected by a computer program designed to ensure genetic diversity. Children ...more
Odette Brethouwer
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I first heard about this book when all the Bookstagrammers from The Netherlands I follow posted this book and it looks so amazing! I wanted to know what it was about, and I really liked the blurb. I got excited, I love SciFi-ish books!

But by now a lot of those people have read this book and were a bit dissapointed. It was more of a lovestory than the SciFi-story they (and I) expected. So now I don't know what to expect anymore, but at least I'm a bit prepared :)

I really liked the Sci-Fi idea of
Esther
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I was so excited when I found this book in my Celebrate Books Box. I read this book together with Marieke, who is also a member of Books Ever After (a Goodreads book-club). So much fun to read books together and share thoughts about this story. There were definitely parts in this book where it was hard to wait and discus the book first, before reading another part. The book is fast paced and easy to read.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into books

The best part about this book is the world-bu
Chantal Lyons
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm at a loss to explain how this got published, except that YA sci- fi in space is huge right now, so I guess anything will do.

Romance novels usually have a bit more substance to them than the romance. The main character lives and breathes independently of their love. Seren, the main character in this book, does not. She's a mood-killer for the first few pages before falling in love (yeah, it happens that fast), and after that she's utterly boring. There are too many descriptions of her thinkin
Alannah
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had so much promise but it just didn't deliver. I found Seren to be quite annoying, immature and selfish. While I can completely understand her hatred of her life, she just constantly complains about it and swoons over Dom... and they fell 'in love' straight away!?!?! Ugh!!! Speaking of Dom, he was an okay character, but I actually preferred Ezra instead. The writing needed a lot of work, and I really feel this book could have been improved with a lot more editing. I did enjoy the part ...more
Chloe
Jul 26, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was seriously fine, it just wasn't special to me. The first part is a contemporary in a dystopian world (that happens to be in space) and the last 75 pages or so feature some actual sci-fi spaceship language. Enjoyed my time reading, glad I gave it a go, just not amazing!
Yomna
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, arcs
Thanks to Hachette Children's Group and Net Galley for giving me a copy of this book.

I recieved this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Mixed feelings on this one. I really enjoyed the story but felt the main character's voice was a bit immature. Ezra annoyed the hell out of me, I guess that was the point, but it got pretty repetitive with him.

Was really irritated by the main character's family since they seemed just so flat to me. I also didn't feel like the main character had an
Zaide
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
I went into this book with such high hopes. Beautiful cover, short yet gripping tag line on the back, a love story set aboard a ship deep in space – this pushed a lot of my buttons. Unfortunately, the summary didn't prepare me for the horrible nature of this story.

I can't really formulate my issues into a spoiler-free review so instead I've decided to list them here and then post more details under a spoiler tag for those who want to know more.
Ok, issues I had:

• Massive case of Insta-love
• Chara
Jo Hena
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Thought that the idea of heading off into space in search of a new Earth-like planet a very good one. For me, the best part was towards the end, where the action speeds up along with the sci-fi aspect. It's a fast read, mainly because the narration, through the voice of a teenage girl, is so convincing - plus she is a likable character involved in a dilemma and a love triangle. This novel contains all the tricks needed for an entertaining read. Go read it!
Annika
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I sat down with this book and read it in a matter of two days. It kept my attention till the end, making me think about what I would be like if I was born into the same life as Seren. The way the author describes Seren's feelings and hardships, had me feeling I was going through them as well. The tragic love Seren finds and the plot twist that comes with a love triangle like this has me already excited for the 2nd book.
Dayna
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: disgusting, dnf
Bloody hell.

This was so bad I had to stop at page 30. If I continued any further I would have relapsed my cancer. Yup.

And boy am I disappointed. Because I found the title so beautiful. It's a concoction of words that I hold close to my heart, and even felt a pull towards it in a way I rarely get. Even the back excerpt made me swoon and gave me some sort of spiritual peace:

It is that quick, that strong, that beautiful, and it is totally impossible.

But then what bullshit am I ambushed with just
Lily
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Seren, this is the way things are. You know they can’t be any different. The only person you hurt by kicking against everything is you’

The Loneliness of Distant Beings is essentially a young adult romance story set in space, following a similar concept to the dystopian elements of Matched by Ally Condie but with the science-fiction space ship setting of Battlestar Galactica. The story follows a contingent of humans residing on a first encounter research vessel sent from earth to explore the de
Heather Roberts
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book, good for all ages especially young adults and teenagers. I really enjoyed the vivid setting and the space theme. Also the main character has elements in her personality that everyone can relate to which makes you will her on as the book goes on. I read it in a matter of a few days as it was so hard to put down! I definitely recommend it to anyone, as it appeals to people that like different genres as it touches on many different genres like, romance, science fiction, action.
Teeh Ryan
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
*Actual rating 3.5*

I enjoyed the world Kate Ling was able to create but I wasn't the biggest fan of the writing. I don't think it was able to fully capture me and take me away from reality. The romance was again a little too quick for me to fully grasp it especially since Seren was an independent woman with her own thoughts and beliefs and she laid eyes on this one guy and she becomes a completely different person.

I do want to read more from this author I think she's got something.
Emer (A Little Haze)
Heavy on the insta love
Heavy on the Romeo and Juliet vibes
Heavy on the melodrama
Light on action
Light on character...

But I'm still gonna carry on and start to read the sequel right away because this is so mind numbingly what I need right now 😂😂
Katriann
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I found this book to be okay. It was a nice and fast read but I feel like it could have been much better and much more creative than it was. I do like the premise of the story, which is that the characters are only alive to make sure their spaceship gets to its destination, and I do understand how Seren, the main character, would find it hard to accept that. I even found the strict routines the characters had to follow quite believable. It's only expected that they would have have rules and rout ...more
Zarina
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

Seren is part of a several hundred year long mission through space and as one of the middle generations she has never seen earth nor will she see the planet they're heading for. She, her parents and her future children are there to serve the mission and pilot the ship towards its final destination without getting any of the glory for the mindless work they are forced to do their entire lives for the greater good.

It's a pretty meaningless existence and anyt
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
The Loneliness of Distant Beings was a nice read that I quite enjoyed. And although it is obvious sci-fi, I didn't find it too heavy on the sci-fi. I haven't read much sci-fi in the past so this book is a fantastic introduction to the genre.

The setting is definitely different. I'm not too sure how realistic it is. I mean there are over 2000 people on a spaceship... how do they all fit? They even have chickens... Chickens... In space!! I really wish that the story explained what happened on Earth
Annemik
Jun 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge-2016
Well, here's one of the few Dutch translated books that I've read with an actual, good translation. Which made me very happy - which is a good thing because the story is a bit depressing. Seren hates everything about Ventura (which lead to situations where she doesn't care how something works and I'm screaming at the book in my hands that I need to know) and doesn't see the point of anything... Until she meets Dom - the love of her life. Don't think the book ends there; we meet a few complicati ...more
Lizzie Wissett
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story for teenage readers and adult readers too! I enjoyed going through Seren’s journey with her into the stars and beyond. She is a strong young woman who is funny, sarcastic, real and honest which was a breath of fresh air to read. The narrative is natural, easy to relate to and the author wasn't scared to touch upon thoughts and feelings, no matter how dark, that most humans have had at some point in their lives. Throughout this read, I fell in love with characters and out of love ...more
Sara
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Calling all bookworms!
I have recently finished this amazing book I've had the honour to read before its publishing date, thanks to author Kate Ling. Couldn't put it down, had me reading every moment I had! An interesting, original and un-traditional love story happening in outer space, where there are strict breeding programs and no liberty like the one we have today. I actually felt quite identified with most of Seren's thoughts and actions, and cannot wait to read the sequel. The Loneliness in
Arman
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The novel "The Loneliness of Distant Beings" has been a very enjoyable for myself to read. The story has a very dystopian organisation in it, and other characters acting existentially radical. The love story in this book is sad and "forbidden"(perfectly displayed, in my opinion). If someone asked me what I would say if I had to describe the story in one sentence, I would say :
"Once you start getting pulled in by the Huxley 3´s gravitational pull, you´re not going to get out of it. You´ll find n
Harriet
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, sci-fi, young-adult
This was a pretty good teen romance/coming-of-age story with the added bonus of being set on a spaceship. Personally, I would have liked a lot more of the undiscovered planets, setting out for new frontiers and less of the staring into each others eyes and feeling very hot. At times, the Ventura ship feels a lot like an American high school with just a few crazy 'we are the genetic future of the galaxy' rules thrown in to spice things up. Still, a fun read.
Nanouk Meijer
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to be found here (it's Dutch tho): http://www.dutchbookchick.com/?p=4841... ...more
Tara
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one, it was an easy read. A few things happened a bit too quick but overall I had a good time reading it!
Anne
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHEN does part 2 come out
Kate Ling
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
From my blog http://kateling.co.uk/blog/
As John Green once said (I think):

“Dear authorial intent,

You don’t matter.”

And he’s completely right. I mean, it ultimately matters very little what I intended when I was writing my book. What matters far more is what each and every reader picks up on/gets out of it/takes away with them when they read it. But since this is my blog I thought I’d allow myself a bit of a ramble about what my intentions were with TLODB. And my alter ego (school librarian) sug
Carla
Sep 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
What can I say about this that hasn't been said by the other reviewers in this?
I was promised a Sci-Fi story with some romantic elements by the cover, the blurb and the title. Instead I got my most hated trope of all: Instalove! Why is instalove such a thing in YA? Why?!
Also, can you call something Sci-Fi just because the pining and lusting happens to be on a spaceship? I mean there isn't much development beyond the we're on a spaceship on the way to find some alien signal and oh! We have pre-a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Beat it up
  • Boy 7
  • New Beginnings (Green Valley Love, #1)
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Truth or Dance (Truth or Dance #1)
  • Sådan overlever du livet
  • Verloren zwischen den Welten (Welten-Trilogie #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Shadow (The Children of the Red King, #7)
  • Charlie Bone and the Red Knight (Children of the Red King, #8)
  • Demon Road (Demon Road, #1)
  • Gläserner Zorn (Rebell, #1)
  • Gläserne Stille (Rebell, #2)
  • Mondprinzessin (Mondprinzessin, #1)
  • Charlie Bone and the Beast (The Children of the Red King, #6)
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Der Junge, der träumte (Strange the Dreamer, #1A)
  • The Silent Invasion (The Change #1)
  • Gläsernes Herz (Rebell, #3)
Secondary school librarian by day, YA author by night (The Loneliness of Distant Beings, The Glow of Fallen Stars, The Truth of Different Skies). Avid reader whenever I get the chance. Running on the seafront and the eating of prawns on an ad-hoc basis.
Follow @katelingauthor on Twitter and Instagram. Website: www.kateling.co.uk. Read my book reviews on my blog www.kateling.co.uk/blog

Ventura Saga (3 books)
  • The Glow of Fallen Stars (Ventura Saga, #2)
  • The Truth of Different Skies (Ventura Saga, #3)