Start by marking “The Sea-Stone Sword” as Want to Read:
The Sea-Stone Sword

The Sea-Stone Sword

“Heroes are more than just stories, they’re people. And people are complicated, people are strange. Nobody is a hero through and through, there’s always something in them that’ll turn sour. You’ll learn it one day. There are no heroes, only villains who win.”
Rob Sardan is going to be a legend, but the road to heroism is paved with temptation and deceit. Exiled to a distan
Published June 19th 2014 by Kristell Ink, Grimbold Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sea-Stone Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea-Stone Sword

Start your review of The Sea-Stone Sword
TL
Dec 16, 2014 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Goodreads FirstReads
I received this via goodreads first reads in exchange for an honest review.
----

Great concept and the loved the writing but just couldn't connect with it unfortunately :( Not a bad novel, but just not for me.

Check it out if your still curious, you may like it more than me.
Hanni
Jan 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked The Sea-Stone Sword. It was a refreshing and entertaining adventure with dark and heroic moments, set in a beautiful world.

It would've been even a four star book for me if the characters (always my #1 thing) had had a little more depth. And don't get me wrong, the characters weren't BAD - many of them were unique, and I actually really enjoyed them; I only wish we'd had more time to drill into their psyche.

That being said, the time was, instead, used to forward the plot. The story is ful
Rosťa
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, this book has an original world-setting, which is something lots of otherwise good fantasy books lack. If I were to point out two things about it, it would be:

1. obviously the non-cliché attitude to the plot - the author takes the main character on the classic "Hero leaves his home"-adventure, but takes it in a completely different direction. There is no idealisation of the path of the hero whatsoever, what is shown perfectly is the grim side of it and how painful it is for t
Steven Poore
So there's this boy, Rob Sardan, who wants to be a hero, to earn his place in history through adventure and swashbuckling daring. And to defeat the legendary Pirate King Mothar, who killed his mother, Rob Sardan needs the Sea-Stone Sword. So far, so bread and butter, but Joel Cornah's take on the epic coming-of-age hero story takes quite a different tack, and sets sail instead into deeper waters.

Rob Sardan's initial breathless naivety carries the plot quickly into a series of adventures and batt
Joanne Hall
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Rob Sardan wants is to be a hero. The broken boy who washes up on the shores of Khamas is determined to make a name for himself somehow. But the line between hero and villain is not an easy one to walk.

Rob’s quest for the mythical Sea-Stone Sword, the quest he believes will make him a legend, will instead force him to question every value he has, and to look into his soul with fresh eyes, to confront the darkness that dwells there.

Joel Cornah’s debut novel is refreshingly unusual take on swa
Steven Guscott
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a pirate story, nope, not even Treasure Island, so this was a new experience for me.

I have to say I really enjoyed the Sea-Stone Sword. Rob is an interesting character that certainly goes through a journey of self discovery. At times the journey felt a little repetitive with him going over the same issues, but that’s true to life, we never learn, so it's not really a weakness at all. The story is full of creative characters and Cornah does a wonderful job of making characters t
Gillian
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sea-Stone Sword is a swashbuckling adventure and a coming of age tale. However it is also more than that. Rob Sardan, the 'hero' of the novel is a far more complex character, a boy heading into his teens, wanting the riches and glory of adventure and of being a great hero. However, every decision Rob makes for himself, where he feels his intentions are good, can also been seen as villainous. I loved how this was portrayed in the book as there was no clear cut 'good vs bad' guy/gal in it and ...more
Michael Joosten
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tardy review because this was a tardy read--The Sea-Stone Sword sat on my bookshelf for nearly a year before I was in the "mood" for it--whatever that means. And then, once I settled in to it, my reading rhythm was rudely disrupted by a funeral back home 3000 miles away and I lost the thread of the story for a couple months.

So I am probably not in the best possible position to review the book, but I can say a few definitive things about it. First of all, this is the author, Joel Corna
Kate
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sea-Stone sword is a treasure; a darker, alternate look on the hero's desire to be a hero. Rob Sardan's journey is one that doesn't ever take the turns you expect it to, and the characters that he meets along the way are fascinating, complex and as interesting as Rob himself. Joel's writing style is succinct and his worlds draw you in, making you want to know more - and read the next book in the series! ...more
Julia Sarene
I won't rate this as I DNFed it at around 50%

It isn't a bad book in any way, I just never clicked with the main character, and only managed to get a slight bond to one of the side characters.
So while the story was interesting enough, I simply didn't care about what happened to any of the characters, which left me bland and neutral, and never hooked me on the story.
When I noticed I started to skim more than actually reading it, because I simply wasn't that interested I decided to move on to som
Sorcha O'Dowd
Well wow! I wasn’t sure what to expect when I signed up for a review copy of ‘The Sea Stone Sword’ but Joel Cornah just blew all my expectations out the window with his intriguing and conflicted characters, a brilliant, original and exciting new fantasy world, and the stunning prose throughout the novel. ‘The Sea Stone Sword’ really is a fantastic read.

I loved the way that Joel Cornah created the characters that become a driving force throughout this story. I love stories that are very much char
Galadriel55
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Sea-Stone Sword is like a tapestry, with threads of character and internal struggle, plot twists and adventures, history and philosophy, imagination and breath-taking descriptions of an entirely new and different world weaving together to form the full picture. It is a story full of surprises in every one of these areas. And it's certainly something new.

I really enjoyed the multiple levels of depth in this story. The characters are multi-layered and subtle, with both faults and strengths. No
Eva
Oct 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Sea-Stone Sword is the story of a boy’s quest to become a hero in a world almost suffocating under the glorious deeds of its many legends.

It’s been a while since I read a fantasy novel and at first glance this story seemed overwhelming. The Sea-Stone Sword is bursting to the seams with pirates, dinosaurs, towns, inns, harbours, heroes and villains, gods and legends. Once I got over some of the tongue twister names I actually raced through it and enjoyed this quirky adventure.

Let's cover the
Priya Bhakta
As a disclaimer I know the author - had I not then I probably would not have read The Sea-Sword Stone as I'm not a big fantasy reader, however I'm glad that I did.

The Sea-Sword Stone reminded me of adventure books I read as a child with plenty of characters, exciting lands and a quest at the heart of it. At the start of the book our protagonist, Rob, is a naive and somewhat egotistical boy with dreams of becoming a hero. He's a bit annoying to be honest but as he grows older and learns to hone h
Sammy Smith
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favourite reads from the last few years - this book has everything that I love. Great story, humour, pirates, fantasy, action, adventure, loss and love...brilliant.

The story follows Rob Sardan, and his quest to become a hero. He doesn't *quite* know how he's going to become a hero, but he'll do what he can!

Longer review to come - when I'm not tapping away on my phone.
Amber Welch
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sorry its taken me awhile to get here but I have been super busy. I received this book from goodreads for an honest review. Easy book to read. Got into it super fast read it in two days. A must read.
S. Naomi Scott
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
All Rob Sardon wants, more than anything else in the world, is to be a hero. He wants the world to know his name, to revere his name and for songs to be sung of his exploits even after he is long gone. So when he is sent to live with his uncle in far off Khamas he begins a journey that will see him go from being a naive, thirteen year old boy to something more. Just maybe not the hero he imagines himself to be.

This is an interesting and engaging first novel by author Joel Cornah, and there’s a l
Kathryn (Katie) Burlo
This is a cool book with very unique and original world-building. It goes beyond all the “usual” mythical creatures and incorporates so much more! This book definitely had “adventure” and “fantasy” written all over it, so I was drawn to it from the beginning. I liked Rob as a character and how his journey was at times unexpected. Rob was a pretty young character too which I really liked to see, and I liked how the book went beyond “good guy” and “bad guy” to show you that characters can be somew ...more
Lauren Hartley
I won this book in a giveaway and would like to start by saying thanks!

Okay. Firstly I credit Joel for his idea, the concept of this book sounded amazing, and the world and creatures was what really intrigued me. In my head, this was going to be an EPIC fantasy.. Points for trying! There were some characters in this that were great and I really enjoyed reading about. Also, the cover art on the front is beautiful.

However, I was very disappointed, I'm really sorry to say. I just couldn't get into
Claudie Arseneault
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, lgbt
This book is the kind of epic fantasy I wish I was reading every day. The pacing never really slows down, yet the fast-moving and tense story doesn't stop major themes from emerging. This is such an original, honest, and brutal take on the hero's journey, I'm not sure I can read your typical boys-goes-out-to-become-a-hero again. Sometimes I wished I could have slapped some sense into Rob, but his obsession with heroic deeds and legends is what makes him such an interesting character.

I think the
Deb
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting tale modelled on the traditional fantasy style, while it challenges the traditional fantasy tropes of black/white, good/evil, hero/villain. The real world is more complex than that and this book explores that as Rob goes out into the world with the goal of recovering the powerful Sea-Stone Sword so that he can become a hero. But what really motivates him? Is it the power? The fame? Or does he genuinely just want to be able to help when the call comes? These are questions h ...more
Vanessa Woods
Reader of Books
Mar 10, 2015
Dec 06, 2014

• People of the Lake
  • Dawnstar (The Starchaser Saga, #2)
  • The Conjurer (The Vine Witch #3)
  • The Girl with the Whispering Shadow (The Crowns of Croswald, #2)
  • Midnight Maiden (Midnight Duology, #1)
  • Belle Révolte
  • Lost in the Never Woods
  • The Gamble Novellas 1-2-3
  • Sing Me Forgotten
  • The Last Lumenian
  • Nightwing (The Starchaser Saga, #3)
  • A Secret in Onyx (Onyx Trilogy, #1)
  • Birthing the Beast (Book One of The Lycanthrope Saga)
  • Only the Ocean
Joel Cornah is an author, journalist, and blogger. He is the author of a number of novels and novellas including; The Sea-Stone Sword, The Spire of Frozen Fire, The Silent Helm, and The Sky Slayer.

He is an editor for The Science-Fiction and Fantasy Network, head of the Doctor Who department, and member of the Tolkien Society. He is a frequent blogger for the Pack of Aces blog, focussing on issues

News & Interviews

“Heroes are more than just stories, they’re people. And people are complicated; people are strange. Nobody is a hero through and through, there’s always something in them that’ll turn sour... you’ll learn it one day. There are no heroes, only villains who win.” 35 likes
“Rob; you could have been someone I wanted to be with. But you’re not; you never spoke to Niall, not really. You joked and you danced, but how often did you really talk? You never even told him you loved him until it was already too late. What was he to you? A friend? A lover? Or was he just some set piece in Rob Sardan’s great story? Is that what everyone is to you? Can’t we have our own story?” 1 likes