Start by marking “Mrs Funnybones” as Want to Read:
Mrs Funnybones

Mrs Funnybones

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  12,272 ratings  ·  1,179 reviews
Good morning, it’s 6 a.m. and I am wide awake because the man of the house has decided that he needs to perform a series of complex manoeuvres that involve him balancing on his left elbow. When I fell asleep last night, there was a baby lying next to me. Her smelly diaper is still wedged on my head but aside from this rather damp clue, I can't seem to find her anywhere. I ...more
Paperback, First, paperback, 235 pages
Published August 18th 2015 by Penguin Books India

To ask other readers questions about Mrs Funnybones, please sign up.
Jignasha Hi Zaiba,

Hi Zaiba,

It is essentially a light read, about Twinkle's life as an entrepreneur, wife of a superstar, daughter of a superstar, and a mother to her two kids. There are funny chapters on how she handles being all of these, with some heartwarming moments strewn occasionally. If you are familiar with her as a celebrity, you might like this book.(less)

·  12,272 ratings  ·  1,179 reviews

Priya
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-writing
Very meh. The writing style suits a blog, not a book. The humor seems forced and the stereotypes and clichés put me off.
Vani
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
'She's just like you and a lot like me,' says the tag line on the book cover of Mrs Funnybones. There was no way for me to relate to the middle aged, mother of 2 kids with a celebrity husband protagonist of this book, but for Twinkle Khanna's crackling narration. The book is full of interesting anecdotes and speckled with self-deprecating humour and witty innuendos. The weight jibes, confrontations with 'desi Jeeves', friends and their mothers-in-law and her reference to her husband as 'man of t ...more
Em*bedded-in-books*
Read it at a sitting - a feat I haven't performed in the past few years. 5 stars, not because a flawless literary gem, but only for reaching out to me at the perfect moment, when I was craving for a humorous, empathetic voice with which I could identify with. (to some extent).
Am not a movie buff, but I do know about Twinkle Khanna as an actor, and was quite pleasantly surprised to see her in the avatar of an ordinary, astute working mother of two, who has a flair for milking out humor from the d
Aakanksha
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
Read the full review here - Blog
Actual Rating - 4.5 stars
From the book - "Why do women have longer lifespans?
Is it because we express ourselves all the time, thus reducing stress?
Or are the men just trying to die earlier to escape the incessant chatter?"

"Mom says she hates festivals, wants to drink beer, ride her yellow scooter, and run over random people who burst crackers."
Vishnu Chevli
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-vimmy
I have read this book in one sitting and let me just tell you that I loved it beyond apprehension.

Once, I randomly saw an episode of "A Coffee with Karan" where Akshay Kumar and the author of this book Twinkle Khanna were invited as guests. I am not a Bollywood person so I didn't know her at that time. But I loved her fierce and nonchalant humor. At the end of that episode, she mentioned Mrs. Funnybones and I wanted to read this book since then. I have read this book finally and it has not disap
Asra Ghouse
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: indian-fiction
This review was first published in The Hans India.

Had this book been written by a person not so famous it wouldn’t have been well received. It is also this very reason that the book garners interest. Twinkle Khanna, former actress born into a superstar family and married to a superstar husband; Indians love to peek inside celebrity lives. It is also why most reviews come for Twinkle and not the book per se. But, let’s try to keep it to the book.

There can be no doubt from “Mrs Funnybones: She’s J
Aishwarya Saxena
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Twinkle Khanna, a former actress turned interior decorator turned writer, lets you know early on in her book that she is done with showbiz, decisively so. It doesn’t creep into her reminiscences, it doesn’t colour her present and it only ever sneaks into her future when she makes a wry assumption about “the prodigal son“–in case he ever wants to join the family business. This is a woman who has moved on, as much as she can being married to who she is. And here’s the other thing, she’s just too m ...more
Shoa Khan
I had heard some really great things about this book. Although I'd got a copy in a steal deal a while ago, I only picked it up now, when I realized I was yet to embark on my India Challenge for this year.

Anyway, it's funny in places, and made for an easy breezy read.
Bigsna
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
So I just finished Mrs Funnybones today. Infact, I started it this morning and proudly share that I finished it in less than 24 hours too. Which isn’t as great as it may sound, even though I had a full n busy day at work and only allowed myself to read in the metro to work, at lunch, in the metro home and after a much despised 30 minutes of exercise.

That is because at 235 pages, size 12 font, 1.5 line spacing and very broad margins, it really wasn’t something even the slowest reader would have
Gorab Jain
My rating - (2/5)
1. Its not a book, its a series of monotonous blogs pasted together.
2. Its not that funny, although it 'tries' very hard to appear funny.
One extra star for appreciating this as her debut novel, which is much better than her films/acting.
(You'll understand the last line only if you've seen any of her films. If not, go watch Mela and then you'll know!)
Girish
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs.Funnybones is a quick, witty read that humanizes celebrity Life. Twinkle Khanna matches her tv show persona in her book with tongue in cheek remarks and colourful opinions.

When you are married for a certain period of time, you’ve heard the themes of each chapter be it a crib about forced fast in the name of your longevity or captured in a FB post in your least flattering dress or how the man of the house is sometimes as useful as a coin collection. This book is written in a way every wife/mo
Sayantan Ghosh
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Read with a little bit of curiosity and immense apprehension. But expectedly what started as a has-been movie star's rants soon became the everyday struggles of an affluent but average woman, mother and wife. She's only occasionally funny, but like that guy in school who's earnestly trying so hard to get noticed that you don't mind.
Nameeta
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
So I have seen Twinkle Khanna on certain talk shows and at times it felt like she had no filter and I found her pretty funny. Maybe expecting the same sort of sarcastic dry humor through out the book was a mistake. Although there are glimpses of it in the book, I found the entire book not very enjoyable.

We get a glimpse into the life of a working women juggling her career, mil and husband. Though this sounds like most women's lives it is definitely not average (yearly vacations abroad and servan
Rebecca
It was a fun read. Though some of the gross jokes made me cringe there were parts which made me laugh. I loved the way the author looks at life, marriage and children. There were some inferences she had drawn from her experiences in life and they were warmly expressed. Such a short book and it was a surprise to learn that bollywood actresses think so deeply. A little more of polishing and pruning would have made it better.
Deepti Jawale
After some much intense back to back fantasy reading I've done, this was a very light read. The book reads easy, is funny in places and is like taking a breather. If you're looking for something breezy and a short read, this is for you.
Vivek Tejuja
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Books that take you out of a reading slump are hard to come by. If those kind of books are funny, then all I can say is that go for them because funny books are hard to come by, well at least for me, who is not taken in by them till I finished reading, “Mrs Funnybones” and my jaw was actually hurting from laughing out loud.
I honestly though didn’t have any expectations from this book. I mean I had heard of Twinkle Khanna’s column in DNA and TOI but did not expect anything from the book. I had n
Book'd
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really don't understand why The author Twinkle Khanna went into movies at all. If she would have taken up writing since her debut in films, she would have been an established author by now having a few movies up her sleeve based on her books.

To sum up in short, this book is not a story but a sort of daily diary of a woman, wife and a mother. The way to look at the daily challenges of life is what we should learn from her. Ofcourse she is a celebrity and it shows up in her writing but I must s
Prashasti
It's a good book but seems more of something that should be put up on a personal blog involving Twinkle's daily life instances which relate to most of the common Indian housewives, their experiences with their mother-in-laws, kiddos, husband and other routine things. She surely has witty remarks on different things and pretty cool about some stuff. Still, I felt that it gets boring after some time but yeah, go for it if you need to get over some book hangover!
Sara Naveed
I don't understand why readers find 'Mrs Funnybones' funny. It wasn't really funny. Though it can be termed as a good satirical laugh but I won't say that my stomach rolled into fits of laughter and my eyes burst with tears while reading this one.
Despite not being into non-fiction, I pre-ordered this book. (Thanks to liberty Books in Pakistan, otherwise I wouldn't get my hands on this one quite soon and I don't know for how long I had to wait.)
Obviously, the curiosity to read a book from a cele
Siddharth Chakravarthy
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Wish I could Rate it 'Zero Stars' !

( ---__--- )

Such a lame attempt in writing a book by Mrs.Twinkle Khanna.

There was nothing in the book that made me smile. Din't even make my lips twitch. There wasn't even a story in this book. It seemed as though she wrote this book while for time pass rather than taking it seriously.
Her writing was good. But the story,jokes etc were too bland and pointless.
I don't think i should spend...or rather waste my time writing a review for this book of crap.

I real
D
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It didn't really seem as if I was reading. A light read. If you aren't following her tweets then you would definitely find it hard to believe that Twinkle Khanna has a great sense of humor. Let's say dry or like they say...British sense of humor. This book is not about a celeb (which she is) it's more about being a wife, a mother, a daughter, sister and a sister-in-law. I am sure women with kids would definitely relate to this and go all....OMG! It happens ...more
Mehvish
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So I finally got my hands on Mrs. Funnybones by Twinkle Khanna yesterday, and finished it within 4 hours. - Thanks to Liberty Books for providing us this book in Pakistan!

Twinkle Khanna is sassy, sarcastic, and downright funny. There's no doubt that she can write really well. I've been following her on Twitter for quite a while now, and have been a fan of her tweets and columns. The book is not at all like the ones that I usually read, it's more like an extended compilations of her columns. Mrs
Preethi Venugopala
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one book that is worth every single rupee I paid for it.

It was more like reading A-Z blog posts by a celebrity blogger during the April A-Z challenge. She has arranged the chapters according to the 26 letters of the Alphabet, each one giving a glimpse into her thoughts, her insecurities, and some not-so-funny moments. She talks about the life in general, bitches about her mom and mother-in-law, jokes about her oh-so-perfect man of the house, desi Jeeves and made me think through her wit.
Safiya B
Aug 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Disappointed. I don't think my opinion would have differed at all if I had dived into the book before reading the oh-so-good and oh-so-funny reviews about it.

The humour is totally forced and the writing is way too amateurish to like. Frankly, I have never read any of Twinkle's articles in TOI, but had high expectations of her judging by the reviews I have heard of her.

A total waste of time, only good thing being it wouldn't waste more than 3 hrs of your precious/non-precious time if you are an
Ankit
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I won't call this a brilliant book but it was so refreshing to read someone who is not afraid of speaking her mind. It was full of Desi wit and her jabs on all her loved ones were actually funny.
Hajarath Prasad Abburu
Very funny but very first-worldly, which is obvious because of who the author is.. Very easy to read. Very easy to relate for mothers too..

Recommended : For Sunday afternoons.. To whoever wants to read without putting much effort :)
Ruchika
There are certain days when you can't be bothered to do anything and yet, want something to keep you occupied. This book is perfect for such occasions. The writing is conversational and it reads effortlessly. That is perhaps the only good thing that one can say about this book.

I was expecting the book to be better. The few articles I've previously read by the author showed capability and a strong point-of-view. But in this book, the author fails to do that. The repeated usage of "Blimey!" seemed
Archita
Nov 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Mrs funnybones is surely funny enough. In fact it is clever enough to make you laugh out loud ( DO NOT read in public space for fear of being declared lunatic)
My only complain is its too short. Like by the time you got fully into it the book was done. The writing style is exactly the one from her newspaper column (and so are a few of chapters)
So overall here we have the book equivalent of chocolate cake, too much and not enough *sigh*
সালমান হক
Frankly, I don't remember why picked up this book a month ago. Maybe because of Twinkle Khanna. I really liked the film Badshah when I was a kid :P so that played a role. This is a book that didn't seem like a book, actually. It was more like some blog post mashed up together. I laughed out loud at some points, I'll give her that credit. A light read.
Ravi Gangwani
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy, india, nonfiction
Thus one day Twinkle Khanna, bored from life, took her pen and created a small window in her home to let the common person peek into the space to see how a stars (Her hubby -Akshay Kumar) live there life. Her plush life with iPhone in hand, designer dresses on body, Bollywood Parties, in the chambers packed with one of the finest interior designs, mother and mother-in-law and kids torturing around. But there was also heart at some places, astutely placed in the book.

I would say 'Not Bad'. I real
MomsChi Book Club: Feel good reads 2 1 Feb 26, 2018 02:24AM
  • Love Among the Bookshelves
  • The Perils of Being Moderately Famous
  • The Sceptical Patriot: Exploring the Truths Behind the Zero and Other Indian Glories
  • Why I Write: Essays by Saadat Hasan Manto
  • Pyre
  • Delirious Delhi : Inside India's Incredible Capital
  • Small Acts of Freedom
  • Rekha: The Untold Story
“Life is full of contradictions. We crave security and independence in equal measures.” 39 likes
“I wish we lived like children. Run till you are out of breath, flop on the grass, stare at clouds, jump up again, chase a squirrel around every tree in the park, walk on your hands because the world looks different upside down, climb little hills and roll down the other side, do somersaults . . . just because you can. What do we do instead? We surround ourselves with all these big and small blinking screens, while our bodies and minds slowly forget how to tumble, how to wonder, how to live.” 36 likes