Start by marking “The Warrior Prophet: The Prince of Nothing, Book Two (The Prince of Nothing)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Prophet: The Prince of Nothing, Book Two (The Prince of Nothing)

The Warrior Prophet: The Prince of Nothing, Book Two

(The Prince of Nothing #2)

The second book in the Prince of Nothing Trilogy

The first battle against the heathen has been won, but while the Great Names plot and squabble over the spoils, Kellhus patiently extends his influence, drawing more followers to his banner. The sorcerer Achamian and his lover, Esmenet, submit entirely, only to have their faith tested in unimaginable ways. The warrior Cnaiur
Published September 2nd 2008 by The Overlook Press (first published June 18th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Prophet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Prophet

Start your review of The Warrior Prophet: The Prince of Nothing, Book Two (The Prince of Nothing)
Twerking To Beethoven
Here we see philosophy brought to what is, in fact, a precarious position, which should be made fast even though it is supported by nothing in either heaven or earth. Here philosophy must show its purity as the absolute sustainer of its laws, and not as a herald of laws which implanted sense or who knows what tutelary nature whispers to it.
—IMMANUEL KANT, FOUNDATIONS OF THE METAPHYSICS OF MORALS

There you go, a quote from one of Immanuel Kant's essays at the very beginning of the book. And t
Chris Gousopoulos
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
  *I will not add something of my own for my second reread. I will just quote a friend and fellow Bakker fan in regards on Bakker's writing:

"I feel this is arguably the greatest fantasy trilogy ever written.
It is an absolutely gorgeous and sprawling work of deliriously beautiful prose, rich vivid characters and a dark quasi-nihilistic world. It does take some patience before certain key plot points are revealed but it is so worth the time invested.
I don't feel the writing is slow so much as it
Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This second instalment in Bakker's compelling dark fantasy trilogy, The Prince of Nothing, is just as good as its predecessor. It is dark fantasy done correctly! We get memorable characters, a world with plenty of depth, a plot full of intrigue and engaging happenings, and all told in an engaging narration style that makes the dark content easy to read without ever making it seem too horrific or bleak. It shows Bakker's talent as a writer as this series can get pretty dark at times.

The story is
Pietro
This second volume of the "Prince of Nothing" trilogy is weaker than the first under every aspect.

First of all, the plot fails to build upon the excellent foundations set in "The Darkness that comes before" resulting unmemorable and entirely predictable.
If you've read the first volume then you already know everything that's going to happen here.

Second, the atmosphere.
Remember that awesome feel of brooding darkness with unseen demonic threats in the first book? GOOD! Hold tight to that memory
Chris Berko
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The scale of these books is immense, and I mean like huge. So much going on, so many different everythings. (I know that's not a word) The first book was way more political and personal and this one takes off right where it left off and we really get to see how Mr. Bakker handles the large scale fighting and battles. I gotta say I was impressed. I could follow everything that was going on, I felt connected enough to the characters to really care about what was happening, and in terms of ferocity ...more
Mike
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, war, reviewed, epics
August 2021 update: Sometimes you just need to re-read an old favorite. Glad I did, it has been a while since I last dipped my toe into this series and I will likely finish all of them by the end of the year. The below review still holds up.

Observational aside: I will rarely reread books. Once I finish a book it is usually off to the next one, with few exceptions. In this case the sixth book in the series, The Great Ordeal, is coming out soon, a book I have waited nearly five years for, and I w
Tammy
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Scott Bakker is officially one of my favorite authors.
This book was awesome from the start and only got better. The characters have been introduced in the first book, we know their back story, we know them...and now they're all together. One thing I love about this book is how characters CHANGE due to their circumstances. Characters who've felt betrayal so strong they just die inside, characters that literally go mad.
I'm not a fast reader but I read the first one in 7 days n this in 10. The ta
SAM
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-fantasy, 2019
The Holy War continues its long march toward Shimeh to reclaim it back from the Heathens. Book 1 saw the insanely enormous gathering of soldiers, whores and slaves with only one battle being fought, which was disastrous for the Men of the Tusk. Book 2 progresses the story at a pretty decent pace with the violence and battle level turned all the way up to 11!

It’s a bit of a weird review to consider because at times The Warrior-Prophet annoyed me to the point of giving up (it was probably an empty
RogueHireling
May 20, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably make a shelf named "Abandoned" because thats what this book is ending up as. I made it about half way and just cant bring myself to pick it up anymore.

To call this a painful read is an understatement! I would give it negative stars if I could. Every single character in the story has been reduced to completely despicable stereotypes, leaving not a single likable thing about the story untouched.

As the rest of the storyline is about the atrocities of marching an army from point a
Pranav Prabhu
Jul 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Fate was but one more world-born subterfuge, another lie men used to give meaning to their abject helplessness.”

The Warrior Prophet picks up where the previous book left off, chronicling the events of the Holy War where the Inrithi march to reclaim their holy land of Shimeh from the heathens. I liked this book quite a bit more than the first one as it immediately felt more driven and progressed the story a lot further, with the first book detailing the complicated politics before the Holy W
Artemas
This book delivered what The Darkness that Comes Before promised. Outlandish names for the various characters/sects/regions make more sense here and, as a result, the story feels more refined and seamless. In this second installment of the Prince of Nothing series, Bakker offers the reader fantastic scenes of action and depravity while continuing to weave plots through his interesting characters.

Many of the hardships which the army faces remind me of similar situations during Steven Erikson’s Ma
Wanda Pedersen
When I placed the interlibrary loan request for this book, I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep myself interested in it. It is definitely a book about a brutal war. The description of the sacking of Caraskand alone was horrible. The killing of children, the raping of women, and the senseless destruction of the city—they all turned my stomach. And when I turned from fiction and switched on the news, all I got was the bombardment of Ukraine by Russian forces. There was no escape.

What if
Brent
Seeing as this is book 2 of the Prince of Nothing series I will likely keep this review short as to avoid spoilers while also capturing some of my thoughts that I can look back on after I have finished the series.

Right away I think my immediate impression after finishing the book is that I enjoyed it more than book 1 but only slightly more. The two books were quite different. Book 1 was more a book of political intrigue where there is a lot of maneuvering between various factions as they each tr
Zara
Mar 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. The character work in this book is excellent. All I’m going to say is that I think Cnaiur is one of the most well-written characters of the series so far (and a new favourite). So many layers packed into one person. I also enjoyed the pacing of this one more as there is, naturally, more happening compared to book one.

I’ll be doing a full review soon but man, am I excited to pick up book three in April.
Redeagl
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to describe this book with one word, it would be EPIC.
Luke Burrage
Second time through, and as an audiobook, I enjoyed more than the first time.

I think it's better than the first book too. However, like Empire Strikes Back and Star Wars, or even the first two Hunger Games movies, the second can only be better due to building on the first. Building on the story and characters.

Kellhus is fucking terrifying. Probably one of the best villains in any fantasy book I've read. Also, weirdly, one of the best heroes.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #269.
Kaminsod
Jun 21, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two books in and I can already say for sure, that this series is something special.

It feels like Malazan mixed with Dune, Iliad and a lot of nihilistic phylosophy. I love all of those things and Bakker managed to combine them and add some elements that this series has to offer on its own and it really is a masterpiece.

I even find it hard to review this, because it is just so different than anything I have ever read. I mean, there is amazing worldbuilding, mysterious lore, maybe the most poetic p
Ryan
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hope the "bad guys" win because this world needs to end. Of the major Characters only Achamian has any real redeeming qualities. Basically I hope that GRRM writes the third book and kills everybody off.
Yasiru
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many threads of the previous entry to the series were brought together at its conclusion, and this volume continues this rather original story with a more unified and committed spirit. It may be exactly because it was more straightforward and linear that I found The Warrior Prophet somewhat simplistic compared to The Darkness that Comes Before. Certainly other problems in the volume were compounded by the approach and came across too keenly.

The battles are up to par and I continue to enjoy the w
John Scroggins
Jan 09, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another 5-star book for me from r Scott Bakker. again I can't really find anything about this book I did not absolutely love I read somewhere he said he had 20yrs to write the first book the made a deal to write the second book in one year but as far as I could tell the warrior prophet was just as good in every way and even felt more seamless I guess with most of the povs happening in close proximity and at the same time I got a deeper view of this world with the march south and some much-apprec ...more
Michael Pang
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll keep this short since I am moving right on to book 3. I dinged the 1st book a little because it took awhile for the story to gel together/get going (but once it did, it did so nicely). The Warrior Prophet picks up right where the first book left off and it is a great story cover to cover. If you liked the 1st book, this book continues a great story. If you haven't read the 1st book yet, this book is 1 more reason to start this trilogy. ...more
Paul
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There weren’t enough superlatives to describe the brilliance of R. Scott Bakker’s first volume in “The Prince of Nothing” trilogy, “The Darkness That Comes Before”. After such an astounding debut, I wondered if the second volume could match the intellectual depth and overall intensity of the first book. Well, “The Warrior-Prophet” more than lives up to the lofty standards set by the previous book, providing one of my favorite fantasy reading experiences ever.

Reading Bakker’s work is like being d
Sud666
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Book Two of the "Prince of Nothing" series certainly amps up the story. After the events of the first book, the Holy War has managed to free itself of the Emperor's manipulations and begun its march into Fanim territory.

While the Vulgar Holy War was a disaster, these Inrithi forces are the hard bitten combat elements of the Great Names. In many ways mirroring the savage battle of the actual Crusades, the clashes between Fanim and Inrithi are quite devastating.

But the actual story is going on beh
Ned Ludd
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I called the first volume a masterpiece. I found this second instalment to be better. So, how do I top the word ‘masterpiece ‘?
Um.....a FUCKING masterpiece?!! Maybe? No!?! Ok... Well you get the point.
Olivia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a series that probably has to be read twice. Bakker does not hold your hand as he throws names, civilisations, cultures, religions and magic at you until you feel like it's just a tiny bit too much. At least, that's how this series makes me feel so far. I'm really enjoying the world building and the cast of characters, but I already know I will re-read this one day and hopefully manage to dig deeper and understand more.

I enjoyed the first book a lot and thought it was worth putting in th
Juliano Dutra
2.5.
Usually, i don't give a low rate to an author who has excellent prose - shining in Homeric battles - but the book has several problems that get worse over time and the book ends up getting lost in a complacent pseudo-philosophy.
I think the most problematic point is a trap that authors - who try this themselves - always fall into: you create an extraordinarily intelligent character. And the author tries to show this by exposing how the character reads the actions/emotions of everyone around h
Daniel Roy
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, fantasy
The sequel to The Darkness That Comes Before comes swinging out of the gate, but it spends its creative energies pretty fast. The novel does deliver on the promise of the first book: we get to see the Holy War well under way, and the result is pretty exciting. But most of the story is spent taking characters in unsatisfying directions. The writing is still pretty solid, although Bakker really needs to cut back on his usage of the adverb "fairly."

The biggest problem I had with the story here is K
Beckylanaway22
Jun 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This shit got fucking daaaaaark.

"Cnaiur neither flinched nor moved. He was Son of the People, a prodigy born of desolate earth, sent to kill, to reave. He was a savage from dark northern plains, with thunder in his heart and murder in his eyes... He was Cnaiur urs Skiotha, most violent of all men."

Fucking bad ass. Bakker has me rooting for dispicable people.

Bakker is a master of words, gorgeous prose, vivid world, real characters that I can't help but be invested in. What a story can't wait to c
Ian Vance
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi

“A book was never ‘read.’ Here, as elsewhere, language betrayed the true nature of the activity. To say that a book was read was to make the same mistake as the gambler who crowed about winning as though he’d taken it by force of hand or resolve. To toss the number-sticks was to seize a moment of helplessness, nothing more. But to open a book was by far the more profound gamble. To open a book was not only to seize a moment of helplessness, not only to relinquish a jealous handful of heartbeats
Ben
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-noir
This is an odd one. On the one hand, I want to give this at least three stars for for writing style and an interesting and deep world with a well thought out background. On the other, I want to give this a one star for essentially a rather boring follow up to the much more promising The Darkness That Comes Before, and an excessive amount of rape and generally unpleasant sex scenes.

Bakker's writing is easy to read and flows well, while at the same time being sophisticated and interesting and very
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: please add cover 2 15 Jan 19, 2018 05:48AM
spoiled the series outcome 1 19 Jun 14, 2014 10:20AM
Fantasy Book Club...: WARRIOR PROPHET - Finished **SPOILERS** 2 26 Jun 04, 2014 01:47PM
Fantasy Book Club...: WARRIOR PROPHET - Planning To Read? 1st impressions? *NO SPOILERS* 1 19 Jun 04, 2014 06:11AM

• Beyond Redemption (Manifest Delusions, #1)
  • The God is Not Willing (Witness, #1)
  • The Mirror’s Truth (Manifest Delusions, #2)
  • She Dreams in Blood (The Obsidian Path, #2)
  • Black Stone Heart (The Obsidian Path, #1)
  • The Shadow of the Torturer
  • The Court of Broken Knives (Empires of Dust #1)
  • The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Death (Sun Eater, #4)
  • Howling Dark (Sun Eater, #2)
  • The Claw of the Conciliator
  • Empire of Silence (Sun Eater, #1)
  • The Blacktongue Thief (Blacktongue, #1)
  • Demon in White (Sun Eater, #3)
  • Heroes Die (The Acts of Caine, #1)
  • Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy, #2)
  • Kings of Paradise (Ash and Sand, #1)
  • The Citadel of the Autarch
See top shelves…
Richard Scott Bakker, who writes as R. Scott Bakker and as Scott Bakker, is a novelist whose work is dominated by a large series informally known as the The Second Apocalypse which Bakker began developing whilst as college in the 1980s.

The series was originally planned to be a trilogy, with the first two books entitled The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor. However, when Bakker began writin

The Prince of Nothing (3 books)
  • The Darkness That Comes Before (The Prince of Nothing, #1)
  • The Thousandfold Thought (The Prince of Nothing, #3)