Start by marking “Fierce (Not Quite a Billionaire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fierce (Not Quite a Billionaire, #1)

Fierce

(Not Quite a Billionaire #1)

A sexy new STAND-ALONE NOVEL by the bestselling author of the Escape to New Zealand series
I never asked Hemi Te Mana to rescue me.

It was true that I had a lousy job. Not to mention a lousy apartment and too much responsibility, although it was a responsibility I wouldnt have given up for the world. That still didnt mean I needed rescuing, if that was what youd call the
Published July 6th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Fierce, please sign up.
Rosalind James Hi Minya! Just saw this. Yes, I wrote Will and Faith, and I was writing these "pieces" of the story Faith was writing. I had to know how the Hope…moreHi Minya! Just saw this. Yes, I wrote Will and Faith, and I was writing these "pieces" of the story Faith was writing. I had to know how the Hope & Hemi story went in order to write JUST IN TIME. Then when I finished, a few readers asked for the book. I'd never written a billionaire book--heck, I've never READ a billionaire book--so it was a challenge. I'd also never written in first person before. I started it just as a "what the heck" project, and was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it.

But--yes. JUST IN TIME came first. You can definitely read the books in either order, though. (Or read either as a standalone.)(less)

Start your review of Fierce (Not Quite a Billionaire, #1)
maggieandteddy
The book within a book. A spin off (sort of) from Just in Time. In Just in Time, the h, Faith was writing a ebook about Hemi and Hope. The characters in her book were loosely based on her (Faith) and Will.
I didn't know if I would like this premise. I was wrong. I love it and I love the writing- OF COURSE.
I liked Just in Time, but I love Fierce a whole lot more.The story starts off very strong. It's not necessary to read Just in Time before Fierce. It's its own story- don't worry- no funky
Obsidian
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This ended up being a big old nope at 20 percent. I usually love Rosalind James's books. I recommend her Escape to New Zealand series to anyone that asks about a really good romance with some hot scenes.

Premise is that this book follows a New Zealand Mr. Grey (Hemi) coming along and deciding that he is going to (swear word) a woman (Hope) that he meets when he goes to see a photo shoot set up.

James can usually turn a phrase and make me see her characters, but I had a hard time even picturing
Audrey
Feb 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
What the Mother EFF people. This book has so much promise. I wanted to love it. Instead I dnf it at about 30%. Hot, Maori Billionaire? Um sign me up. Hot, Maori Billionaire that has the social skills of a perverted 13 year old? Yeah not so much.

Sucks to go in thinking Jason Momoa and find out it is Justin Bieber. EFF ME
KB Wayne
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this ARC solely in exchange for an honest review.

Well, not every story is for every reader, and "Fierce" was not for me. It was okay, which is damning with faint praise, I suppose. For those of us who've read and liked (if not adored) many of the author's previous books, "Fierce" was a let down, especially coming so soon on the heels of "Carry Me Home," which was good fun (although not her best -- "Welcome to Paradise," "Just This Once," and "Just for Now" are my favorites
Lorie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.25 STARS!!!

OMG! What a tantalizing and tingle inducing surprise this one was!
This is like FSoG, The Crossfire Series, This Man, and Losing Control (Jen Frederick) all mashed up but on the warmer side of the thermometer. Oh, dont get me wrong. There was plenty of HOTNESS, but it isn't told in explicit minute detail. It was actually a nice change to get sexy hot without the super graphic aspect.

With this one, you get exactly what is advertised. No need to worry that a story unlike what you are
Jan
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I read this after reading and liking Kiwi Rules which is about Karen, Hope's younger sister. This one takes place earlier, when Karen is still a teen, and she's a side character in this book. But I'm kinda glad I read the books out of order, cos it set the scene for this one - I knew what to expect.

It's Hope and Hemi's story - or part 1, anyway. There are two more books to follow. It takes place mainly in the US and moves to New Zealand near the end, (whereas Kiwi Rules takes place
Deborah
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it

Hope is struggling, she's doing a job she doesn't like for a boss she can't stand and she's doing it all because she's the sole guardian for her sister Karen who is fifteen. Hope's life isn't easy in fact she's more or less put her life on hold to focus on her sister, that is until Hemi enters her life.
Hemi is incredibly hot, rich and successful he's focused and single minded in all things including relationships and his idea of a relationship involves a signed nondisclosure agreement.
The
Christa
Jan 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, freebie-read
DNF 9%
Darcy
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, romance, 2019
When I realized that the author actually wrote the book talked about in Just in Time I knew I would seek this one out. At the start quite a bit of it was familiar due to those parts being shared in Just in Time, but as the book went on it took on a life of it's own. Part dragged for me, I got tired of Hemi just wanting sex with no strings argument versus Hope wanting a true relationship/connection. Did these two have things to work through, yes, but if they just let themselves be they were good ...more
MiniMe
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cliff-hangers
Scan read through a lot of this romance because I thought both main characters left a lot to be desired. Plus, I don't understand why female characters are often written so ridiculously annoying and inflexible. Hemi saw what he wanted and went after it in textbook rich, alpha male style and was too blunt/possessive/protective. But it shouldn't have been so difficult for him to try to do nice things for Hope. IMO Hope's demands and expectations weren't always reasonable or realistic. This was a ...more
~Mindy Lynn~
AMAZON FREEBIE 8/9/17
Lucia
Standalone romance with two strong feisty characters with a very dominant alpha male, particularly in the bedroom!

I am a fan of Rosalind James Escape to New Zealand series and I couldnt help but be intrigued by the description of this book, yet I was not sure what to fully expect as its is described as being very different to the Escape to New Zealand series. However, unsurprisingly, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which can be read as a standalone with a HEA, and I would definitely recommend
Monique
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own.

When I first read Just in Time, I was excited and captivated by the snippets of Faith's book. Emotionally charged and highly intriguing, I was sorry that it wasn't a real book. And then, Rosalind James made it real. I was super excited to read it.

It took me a while to read. Maybe it was my frame of
Bungluna
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
While at first glance Fierce may sound like all the Dom billionaire and the doormats virgins who love them, this novel from one of my favorite authors, Rosalind James, deals with this trope in graceful adult way.

Hemi is a Maori clothing designer from En Zed headquartered in NY City (bit of an eye roll for me) and Hope is the Brooklyn girl who loves him. Ms. James fleshes out both characters to give believable depth to their story, which could have turned out as the worst of clichés in less
C. Gold
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
I liked how the heroine stood up to the main character and said no when he was being a perv. However, she shouldn't have had to do that. I didn't like how she found him attractive after the things he said. Even if he had a great looking body, just no! Eww! Major turn off. There was also too much thinking about sex or having sex and not enough romance story. That section felt more like erotica with her sexual discovery (she started as a scared virgin).

I stuck it out to the end and the book
Janeiowa
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fierce by Rosalind James is the first in her new series titled Not Quite a Billionaire. The inspiration for this VERY steamy novel is a book a character is writing in Ms James Escape to New Zealand series. The main male character is Kiwi...a Maori...who is a famous women's clothes designer. The female character is a young woman trying to support herself and her sister, a teenager, in NYC. She is a person who values honesty and hard work.

Ms James' Escape to New Zealand series is exceptionally
Sherri Romero
Feb 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Disappointing

I have read every book this author has written except for this series. For this after an e-mail from her. Couldn't believe I had missed a series. Now I wish I had.

Perhaps this was written before Me Too. But that still is no excuse. The hero can across too dominating and aggressive . Definitely crossed the line for sexual intimidation in the workplace.

Ended up skimming the rest as I couldn't get past the beginning
Erin
Jul 09, 2015 added it
I was impressed! I knew I would enjoy this story just because I love Ms. James' writing, but I wasn't sure how to take big wig New Zealander in NYC. It worked really well, and I was surprised for being such a closed off man, how he turned around. I would love to read more stories if this turns into a series or not. The twists and turns keep you reading. I couldn't put it down!
Jorgie
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't mean to rate this book bad. But I am from New Zealand. And all I could think about in this book is the short story "50 shades of South Auckland". If you don't know what that is and you don't want to ruin your out look on this story....DO NOT GOOGLE IT!! But I am sure most NZers are familiar with the short story. Had a bit of a laugh throughout this book.
Norma Reasor
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kiwi in America

Just perfect! Got a little head start with advance chapters, which I don't usually do, because I want the whole story, so I was already hooked. The story lived up to my expectations and more. Also contains one of the most sensual love scenes I've every read. I loved it and highly recommend, too bad I can only give 5 stars.
Shadae
Feb 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
I made it past the half way mark but I just can't anymore. I simply cannot.
Elena Johansen
I liked how this was basically a trope-subverting, non-toxic deconstruction of what BDSM romance has become in the wake of more infamous works in the genre.

Hope is not a doormat, and while Hemi displays poor sensitivity skills at times, he's not abusive.

It directly addresses the power imbalance inherent in any relationship they would have--a strong point in James' work I've read to date. I've mostly gone off CEO/workplace romances because they often completely ignore this, acting like one or
Starr
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-sucks
I listened to the audible version and the narrator sucked. She read so slow, it almost made the book boring, which in reality it wasn't. I happy to see that in book 2, there is a different (better) narrator.

Now about the book...to quote another reader, "Hemi saw what he wanted and went after it in textbook rich, alpha male style and was too blunt/possessive/protective". Which made Hope frustrating at times because also textbook female, there is always a constant push and pull for him to
Mari
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: archived-kindle
WARNING - ENTIRE PLOT SUMMARY AHEAD (used for me to keep track of series events)
REALLY - DON'T READ THIS; IT SUMMARIZES BOOK.

Better than I thought. May buy 2 and 3. Very FSoG, but better.

Hemi spots Hope at a photo shoot; arranges for a job for her cuz he "wants to fuck her". She's a virgin. Takes job unknowing about He, but refuses relationship. Coaxed into seeing him; he eventually starts dating her as prelude to getting her into bed. Finally happens. She runs away, goes back a couple of times
Sarah Hutchinson
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'll give this 3.5 🌟🌟🌟✨'s
I'll be honest. I almost quit 30 pages in. I began confused, annoyed, and bored. The chapter titles themselves were confusing, though after a while (okay, like, after I'd finished half the book) they made sense. Told in Dual POV, though there's no indication ahead of time. This book started out what seemed rushed with a lack of substance and direction. This could've been better. Strong, determined female and a got Maori CEO? Sounded great.. It got better halfway in and
MB (What she read)
The erotica quotient is out of my comfort zone, but the underlying romance (and it is there) is sweet. I like that she is not a doormat in any way, in spite of the seeming imbalance of power/status.

Kudos here for the way the sister's health problems are handled. A close family member had a similar type of issue and this was pretty much our experience. (Except that surgery was lot longer than the 3 hours here.) Seriously not fun, and terrifying. Going through that type of experience is changes
Goth Gone Grey
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, favorites, 2017
This genre of romance novels is the grown up equivalent of a fairy tale - a poor girl working so hard rescued by an independently wealthy, hot, sexy prince...guy. Rawr.

I expected it to be a quick intro and random hot sex scenes. I didn't expect a well thought out story, characters with actual backgrounds & feelings, and a romantic yet sexy read. I was pleasantly surprised.

An immediate mutual attraction - though on different levels - brings the two main characters together. She's petite, yet
Tamara
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Story Different Twist

The story about the princess and the swans was one I hadnt heard before and it fit well into the story line of how Hope kept loosing faith in Hemi. The strength she had to take a step to stop her revolving heart of feelings and break it off was impressive. Women sometimes have to dig deep to find that strength. Relationships require both parties to be strong for the other when their partner needs it. It can not be a one way street, and I am glad that Hemi and Hopes
Teresa
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 - ok read. it didn't start getting good until the last 1/3 or so of the book. little slow in the dialogue, and the characters (and backgrounds) were very cliche. felt like other characters from other series being blended together. however, the bedroom scenes were fabulous, as well as the store dressing room. there was too much wishy washy push and pull, and face slapping, and catty high school drama at times. but, the part at the end, revolving around the sister...... solid, descriptive ...more
Stephanie Bolen
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: got-it
The Rock but he sounds like Hugh Jackman

I loved the visual for the hero. Did I give two figs for the rest of the story not really. It had some good moments, but overall I think you either do romance or kinky sex not both. I liked the romance a lot better than the sex. There was one scene that was well written but the others just started with a kind of hot idea and then reverted to normal sex.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Enthrall Sessions Trilogy (Enthrall, #1-3)
  • The Hotel (A Billionaire Seduction, #1)
  • The Submission of Lady Pennington: A Wicked Hot Erotic Historical (Red Chrysanthemum Book 11)
  • Due South (The Compass #5)
  • Intrigued (The Dark Christmases Trilogy Book 1)
  • Ruined (His For A Week, #5)
  • Elite (Elite Doms of Washington #1)
  • The Edge of Temptation (The Edge Series, #1)
  • Dahlia (Dishabille Book 1)
  • Enthrall (The Freed Billionaire Spencer Christmas Trilogy Book 1)
  • One Gold Heart (Dominant Cord, #1)
  • Sinful (Sinful Surrender Quartet, #1)
  • No Safeword
  • Scandalous (Sinful Surrender Quartet Book 3)
  • Dark Lessons
  • Carmen's New York Romance Trilogy (Carmen's New York, #1-3)
  • Training Lady Townsend (Properly Spanked, #1)
  • Impasse (L.A. Nights, #2)
Rosalind James writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense published both by Montlake Romance and independently. Her stories are set in New Zealand, Idaho, California, New York . . . really, anyplace that seems cool. (Research trips, especially those involving lots of rugby, are a bonus.) Her books are available in ebook, paperback, and audio formats. Rosalind is a former marketing executive ...more

Not Quite a Billionaire (3 books)
  • Fractured (Not Quite a Billionaire, #2)
  • Found (Not Quite a Billionaire, #3)