Start by marking “Against a Brightening Sky (Delia Martin #3)” as Want to Read:
Against a Brightening Sky (Delia Martin #3)

Against a Brightening Sky

(Delia Martin #3)

By 1919 the Great War has ended, peace talks are under way in Paris, and the world has been forever changed. Delia Martin, apprentice practitioner of magical arts, and her husband, Police Captain Gabriel Ryan, face the greatest challenge of their lives when fragments from the war descend on San Francisco.

As Delia prepares to meet friends at a St. Patrick's Day parade, the

Published October 6th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Against a Brightening Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against a Brightening Sky

Melliane
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I enjoyed the series and it’s true that I was curious about the further adventures of our beloved Delia. It must be said that the period of the history and the presence of the ghosts, as well as the investigations, are really attracting. While writing my review and by reading the summary, I realized that this was the last volume of the series, which is quite sad because I have not really had that feeling of a real conclusion, but it does not change the fact
Stacee
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This series has easily been one of my favorites. I found it on accident and I'm beyond thrilled that I did.

I adore this cast of characters and the unique way they get things done. This plot line was my favorite of the three books and I was captivated from the very first page. The setting and period make for an interesting atmosphere and Jaime paints such a pretty picture with her words.

I will definitely be reading these books again.

**Huge thanks to Jaime for sending me a copy of the book**
M.L. Brennan
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love what Jaime Lee Moyer is doing in historical fantasy. Ghost-hunting mediums meet Russian princesses in hiding meet evil Bolshevik necromancers meet union organizers. There are the elements of a hard-bitten police procedural here, as well as a strong emotional core to characters. One thing that always impresses me about Moyer's work is how very adult her characters are -- both in relationships between friends and in romantic partners balancing trust in each other's competence with fear for ...more
Eddie
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
sadly... as much as I enjoyed this series..

book 3 'finished things' way to suddenly.
huge let down...
oh well
☕️Kimberly
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Against the Brightening Sky takes place in the early spring of 1919. Delia awakens to find the spirit of a young princess in her bedroom, but she and Gabe have plans with their friends Jack and Stella, so she decides to deal with her later. The group of them along with Jack and Sadie’s children are attending the San Francisco St Patrick’s parade. Things quickly turn into a nightmare when a riot breaks out and gunmen began shooting. After the dust settles, Gabe soon realizes the intended target w ...more
Beth Roberts
True rating: 4.5 stars. This poor book and I have had quite an adventure together. It was a library eloan I was only about 20% through when my Kindle developed feet and walked away at work a month or so ago. Naturally, I was devastated.

Then, I had to wait until my turn came up again for a renewal. Fortunately, only one person was ahead of me, but it was still a 2 week wait.

Long enough to cause a rift in the storyline, to say the least, and to forget some of the finer details. I am a one-book-at-
Beth Cato
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, mystery, historical
I'm sad that this is the final book of this series, which artfully blends historical mystery with ghosts and magic. Moyers captured a pivotal time of history against a backdrop of the scarred, haunted city of San Francisco. Delia is a smart, savvy heroine who sees ghosts. Her husband is a police captain. Their two perspectives intertwine nicely--they make excellent partners as they solve mysteries. In this case, San Francisco is plagued by supernaturally-flavored mayhem and murders that are clea ...more
Shelley
*Source* Library
*Genre* Historical, Paranormal, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Against a Brightening Sky is the third and final installment in the Delia Martin series by author Jamie Lee Moyer. The story opens in the Spring of 1919 with World War I, and the 1918 Influenza Pandemic in the rear view mirror. Delia, her husband Police Captain Gabriel Ryan, and their friends Lieutenant Jack and Sadie Fitzgerald are out to watch the St. Patrick's Day Parade. What should have been a lovely spring da
PJ Who Once Was Peejay
Back in 2012, I read the opening pages of a book called Delia’s Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer and immediately fell in love with the beautiful prose, the complex and rounded characters, the setting of turn-of-the-century San Francisco, and the magical blend of paranormal and crime thriller. Now I’ve finished the third book in that trilogy and I’m happy to say that everything I loved about the first book (and the second) is still there—and many wonderful new elements have been added.

Ms. Moyer has don
C.P. Cabaniss
It's been a while since I read the first two books in this trilogy, so I was a bit rusty on some of the details of past events and characters, but this was an extremely good book. It's a mix of historic fiction, fantasy, and detective story. And it's so much fun.

The characters here are great. I love how the story is told from both Delia and Gabe (one in first person and one in third) and the interactions with Dora, Sadie, Jack, Randy, Sam, and the rest of the cast of characters were excellent.
Talisha
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't get over the last thing I was ranting about so I'm putting this book down. Am still wondering how not even the publisher caught that infraction. Put a very sour taste in my mouth and left me feeling disappointed.
This is what I am making reference to:

"I wanna know why, out of all the names available in the span of history, the only significant black character in this book (series) is called Lynch? How did that even happen? Really put out by that one. His name could've been Smith, Jefferson
Melody
Dec 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bolsheviks have come to America after The Great War to finish off any royalty or aristocrats who escaped. They are killed by the dozens, perhaps by the hundreds. But one life is saved.
Heidi
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A ghostly blend of paranormal and history.

Delia, her husband, Gabe, along with her best friend, Stella, and her family are all headed to downtown San Fransisco for the St. Patrick's Day parade. Everyone is looking forward to the event as spring has brought the end of the war and peace. Quickly, the lovely afternoon takes a deadly turn when a nightmarish riot breaks out. Two gunmen begin shooting innocent bystanders, and then an explosion knocks everyone off their feet. Luckily, Deli
Cher Staite
Nov 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even get half way through this book because I found it infantile and insulting and full of misguided misinformation of the negative evil voodoo variety. Yes, I realize it is 'just a silly story' coming some young woman's distorted negative perspective but I refuse to cater to the "all spirits are evil and all magic is bad" garden variety bandwagon.

I know for a fact, that most spirits of those who have passed are perfectly lovely and loving and helpful angels looking after and over thei
Colleen
I really like the setting and premise of this series. It gives the stories a different feel than I'm used to and puts the characters on the cusp of the modern age - so some 'Victorian' sensibilities along with things like motorcars seem commonplace.
The characters are likable, even if they're not all that deep or horribly fascinating. I found the brief mention of Gabe's former friendship with a local Madam to be more interesting than the marriages of the leading characters. Dora continues to be
Text Addict
I don't know why it took me so long to get myself a copy of this book, when I like the series so much!

Okay, actually I do: so many books, so little time. But seriously, it's got a great historical setting, plotting, pleasant characters (not every book has to be full of snarky characters!) - it pretty much hits all my "like" buttons. I'm glad I finally got around to it, and sorry that it looks like the series is over already.
Helen
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid nice book. I felt that the author could use a little bit of work with her character growth and interactions between characters. However, I loved reading the little things about SF that I didn't know. The city is clearly well researched.
Chrissy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love these historical, supernatural mysteries.
As another chapter in the saga of Delia Martin Ryan and family, this book excels. It’s a gripping story that doesn’t let you go. However, as a conclusion to the series? Dismal failure.

As usual, Moyer knows how to tell a gripping story. I loved all the new bits she included from the supernatural: how the ability to see ghosts manifested in a child, how the powers of a necromancer interacted with Delia’s and Dora’s abilities, and the strengthening of Delia overall in her abilities and confidence u
Melissa
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series that should be read in order for the characterization. You can skip the second book, but at least read the first book before diving into this one. I think you would be frustrated with not knowing as much about the characters as someone who has read in order.

This is said to be the last book, but when everything is over, it doesn't quite feel complete and that more could be explored in this world. There is so much life left to be explored for Delia and Gabe. I sincerely hope that
Jessica Strider
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Pros: interesting murder mystery, wonderful relationships

Cons:

The year is 1919 and a riot and explosions rock San Francisco’s St Patrick’s Day parade, the perpetrators targeting a young woman in the crowd. Captain Gabe Ryon tries to figure out the connection between the attack and the growing number of murdered Russian immigrants. Meanwhile his wife, Delia, is haunted by the ghost of a European princess.

The novel is split between Gabe and Delia’s efforts to understand what’s happening and stop
Jayne Fury
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no, mystery, paper
This story has mumbo jumbo spiritualism necromancy hodgepodge set in early 20th century SF mixed in with a Bolshevik and Russian revolution secret plot. It starts out strong and continues to weaken as the author throws in extraneous plot lines that are meant to throw you off but only weigh down the story flow.

Then we have the perspective switch from first person to third person between Delia our heroine and third person murder investigation plot line steered by her husband the police detective.
Jan
In this book, Delia and company must deal with the ghost of a princess, a live maybe princess and an evil necromancer who is killing noble Russian immigrants. I got off to a slow start on this one but then I could not put it down. I think it is because it takes me a while to get into Delia's world, but once I am on board I really enjoy these books. Delia is a smart and strong woman as are the other female characters. The men, mostly policemen, are strong and smart but also likable and loving to ...more
Anne
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set post-World War I, San Francisco is awash in refugees - both of the living and dead variety. Delia is visited by a new spirits just before a St. Patrick's Day Parade - one marred by violence. Evil begun during the Great War has far-reaching effects for both Delia and her loved ones along with the larger world.

A truly fantastic read, the only thing wrong with this book is that this is the final book in the Delia series. If you've wreathe first two - and they are a must - you have to read the c
Stacey Kondla
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series and book 3 did not disappoint. I have enjoyed gettin to know Delia and Gabe, Sadie and Jack, and, of course, Isadora. Great character building, love the historical setting and brilliant fusion of urban fantasy and mystery.
The story of the Romanov's is an extremely sad one and I thought that Jamie Lee Moyer used this piece of history in her story with tact and grace.
While I am sad this is the last in this series, I an eager to read what Jamie Le
Marissa
Someone mentioned in a review of A Barricade in Hell that Dora should be the main character because Delia got boring. I agree and I think that's still the case in Against a Brightening Sky. I like Delia in the first book but then she got boring and married. Dora does most of the work and most of the explaining, while Delia just assists. It's explained away by Dora having more experience, but I think after 4 years Delia should know what she's doing.

Bottom line: I found this series to be entertain
Cynthia
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
I loved the first book, Delia's Shadow, and could not wait to get my hands on this book, third in the series. Once I started it, there were late nights involved as I tried not to race through it so quickly that I missed something. I love the places Delia and her friends now find themselves in, even though there is danger all around them. A historical mystery with women who see ghosts, and this time around, a necromancer as bad guy. Go! Read!
Liz
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
LIke the previous two books in the series, this was an enjoyable read, and the strongest part is the relationships among the characters. (Although we see less of Jack and Sadie this time around, which is a shame.) I was able to guess the general outline of the mystery by about the third chapter, but not all of the details. After a long buildup over the course of the book, the final crisis arrives very quickly and is resolved just as fast.
Lora King
I'm kind of addicted to these books. Delia sees ghosts and along with her friend Isadora, who is well versed in the supernatural and is helping Delia grow with her gift, they are keep friends and family safe in post WWI San Francisco. This story revolves around a Russian girl who can't remember her past and it appears a necromancer is hunting her down. Who, what and why will be answered. All the characters are growing more comfortable in their skins as this series continues.
Grace Holdreith
I did not realize this was the 3rd in a series until like 100 pages in...oops. Not sure how much of the confusion was poor writing, and how much was just having missed key details in prior novels. If you enjoyed any of the Libba Bray books, you will enjoy this. Dark fantasy/fiction set in early 1900's SAn Francisco, part crime procedural, part supernatural mystery.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 May 08, 2015 06:10AM

• In Time for Christmas (Out of Time, #10.5)
  • Miles Off Course (Rowland Sinclair #3)
  • All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2)
  • The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)
  • A Hiss Before Dying (Mrs. Murphy #26)
  • The Plague of Thieves Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon, #4)
  • Things Half in Shadow
  • The Phoenix Requiem: Volume One
  • Betrayal in Time (Kendra Donovan, #4)
  • A Hard Day's Fright (Pepper Martin, #7)
  • Ghosts in the Wind
  • Unquiet Spirits: Whisky, Ghosts, Murder (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #2)
  • Playing With Fire (Saranormal, #9)
  • Last Stop in Brooklyn (Mary Handley, #3)
  • Angel Interrupted
  • The Witch Hunter's Tale (Midwife Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Soon Enough (Juniper Song, #3)
  • Blood Crimes: Book One
Jaime Lee Moyer writes fantasy and science fiction, herds cats, is an occasional poet, and maker of tangible things. Her first novel, Delia's Shadow, was published by Tor Books, and won the 2009 Literary Award for Fiction, administrated by Thurber House and funded by the Columbus Arts Council. Two sequels, A Barricade In Hell and Against A Brightening Sky, were also published by Tor. Her new novel ...more

Delia Martin (3 books)
  • Delia's Shadow (Delia Martin, #1)
  • A Barricade In Hell (Delia Martin, #2)