Start by marking “Insignia: Chinese Fantasy Stories (The Insignia Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Insignia: Chinese Fantasy Stories (The Insignia Series #2)

Insignia: Chinese Fantasy Stories

(The Insignia Series #2)

INSIGNIA Vol.2 includes 7 Chinese fantasy stories with a mix of urban, literary, contemporary, myth-based, and historical fantasy pieces.

PART I: YOUNG ADULT / ADVENTURE TALES

'The Red String of Fate' by Holly Kench
'Maidens of
ebook, Revised edition, 64 pages
Published April 25th 2014 by BWWP Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Insignia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Insignia

Anna Tan
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books
As a whole, I think I preferred Insignia: Japanese Fantasy Stories to this one. It felt as if there hadn't been enough submissions for this, so Kelly and Joyce ended up writing multiple stories to bulk it out.

Set in an alternate Singapore which has dragons and phoenixes and foxes, Looking for Trouble (Joyce Chng) was probably the most to my taste in Part I. The Great Qilin (Kelly Matsuura) wasn't half bad as well - though it feels a little like a prelude to something else.

The most impressive f
LaVerne Clark
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although a short anthology, this collection packs a punch. Each individual story has a beauty and symmetry which mean they all sit together easily.
Never having had the pleasure of visiting this part of the world, after the glimpses from this book, I'm very keen to. Thank you to the authors for taking me on the journey.
Kelly
Apr 25, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
NOTE FROM EDITOR: This anthology was re-released on July 7th, 2015 with a new cover and with a new story added to the collection.

Please see previous editions for more reviews.
Laila Blake
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting set of stories. My favorite was "The Bones Shine Through With Light" for it's beautifully atmospheric language. Quite capturing.
For me, not all of the stories felt like short stories, though, and at times I was missing a point or something that keeps the internal structure coherent, but they were all really creative and transported me into a new kind of mythology and culture. (And I might be wrong. All I know are lit fic short stories and erotic ones, and both work very differen
Karen
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fascinating anthology

I read the first anthology, with no real expectations. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly enjoyed it. With a little more understanding of Asian storytelling, I knew what I was in for - and I wasn't disappointed.

The stories are refreshing, interesting pieces that are a window into another culture. To me, each tale was unique and interesting.

Very much enjoyed it.
Jan 09, 2015
Peter Buckler
Jun 11, 2015
David Fuller
Dec 10, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Mel
added it
Jan 05, 2016
Xian Xian
May 09, 2017

Kelly Matsuura grew up in Australia, and graduated from Victoria University with a degree in Asian Studies. She has lived in China and the USA, and now lives permanently in Nagoya, Japan.
Her writing focuses on fantasy and contemporary stories with Asian characters and/or settings, however she enjoys writing western-style stories occasionally as well.
She is the editor and a contributor of 'The Ins

The Insignia Series (6 books)
  • Insignia: Japanese Fantasy Stories (The Insignia Series #1)
  • Insignia: Southeast Asian Fantasy (The Insignia Series #3)
  • Insignia: Asian Fantasy Stories (The Insignia Series #4)
  • Insignia: Asian Science Fiction (The Insignia Series #5)
  • Insignia: Asian Birds & Beasts (The Insignia Series #6)