Start by marking “Where Treasure Hides” as Want to Read:
Where Treasure Hides

Read Book* *Different edition

Where Treasure Hides

Artist Alison Schuyler spends her time working in her family’s renowned art gallery, determined to avoid the curse that has followed the Schuyler clan from the Netherlands to America and back again. She’s certain that true love will only lead to tragedy—that is, until a chance meeting at Waterloo station brings Ian Devlin into her life. Drawn to the bold and compassionate ...more
Published July 15th 2015 by Tyndale House (first published December 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Where Treasure Hides, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Treasure Hides

Start your review of Where Treasure Hides
m a r y l i z
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
WARNING: much ranting and sarcasm ahead. Proceed at your own risk. YOU HATH BEEN WARNED.

DNF

Eheh . . . no. I didn't even bother trying to go past the first 35 pages.

I hesitate to mark this as "read" and assign it a rating . . . but I thought some other people might deserve a warning as to how ridiculous this romance is before they head into it blindly as I did. And to be honest, I'm being generous when I round it up to 2 stars.

I SHALL SUM IT UP FOR YOU:

Girl meets boy at train station. She
Beth
Artist Allison Schuyler has spent her much of her life working in her family’s well-known art gallery, devoting her life to art in an effort to avoid the family curse. She is convinced that falling in love will only lead to tragedy as she has seen in her family. Her resolve is tested when she meets Ian Devlin in a chance encounter at Waterloo Station. The bold, compassionate British Army captain’s attraction to her causes her own resolve to waver. Their obligations take them separate ways, and ...more
Carissa
My Take in 3 Parts

The Theme
Alison is a very passionate young woman regarding art. It is her sole pursuit, her one true love apart from Ian, and she is constantly faced with a question throughout Where Treasure Hides, something known as the Mona Lisa question. In other words, is art worth dying for?

If you were to ask my sister, she would likely say yes. An impassioned young woman herself, she lives and breathes art and holds the Monuments Men in very high esteem for their courageous protection of
Michelle
Wow, I'm so tired this morning but I just had to finish this book before I went to sleep last night. It was good from the beginning, but I work full time and am an author myself, so it took me longer to read due to my own deadlines. The tension kept building and building, just the way I like them. I cared about the characters so much my heart ached at times. I would love to see this book in print. It's long, but very good. I enjoyed the entire ride!

The story felt real to me and the characters
Bethany Jett
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
This book captured me from page one. I read the entire thing in a day. The characters are brilliant and well-rounded, the scenes are beautifully descriptive. Made me feel like I was right there with Ian and Allison. Donley doesn't pull punches with some of the horrors of war, but doesn't go too into detail, allowing the reader's imagination to fill in some pieces as the strength of the words hits your heart.

Even the villain, Theodor, is likable in a strange way. Even though we disapprove of his
Staci
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
In this debut novel by Johnnie Alexander, the author combined a love story with the backdrop of WWII and saving treasures, both human and artistic.

The main characters, Alison and Ian, fall in love "at first sight" very early in the novel, which some may find a bit difficult to believe.

What I enjoyed about the novel is the way the author used aspects of the war and wove them into Alison and Ian's story. Alison was Dutch and Ian English. The war impacted them and their countries in different ways.
Ruth
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
With Europe on the brink of war, artist Alison Schuyler never expected to have her life changed while waiting for her train at Waterloo Station. Returning to her home in the Netherlands following an exploratory trip to Wales -- where, at the behest of her grandfather she gathered intelligence on how to protect their beloved nation's national art treasures from the coming conflict -- she is arrested by the sight of a British officer defending a young Jewish child from the recently-arrived ...more
Diana
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where the Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander Donley is a treasure of history that we need to be aware of right now. We do not want history to repeat itself and through well written fiction like Where the Treasure Hides perhaps we will be more aware of what is happening around us.

The story line involves artist Allison Schuyler, sent back to Holland by her grief stricken father to live with her grandfather and aunt. The family owns a well-known art gallery.

Allison loves art more than anything
Shantelle
I don't know what to rate Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander. I loved a lot of it! But there were two happenings that were really hard to handle. One of them was so shocking and horrific that I almost stopped reading the book then and there. It's beyond words. WHO would do that?

I didn't like that the villain got away without facing the consequences of his wicked actions. I didn't like that a mother was never reunited with the baby she thought she lost. I don't like the debate: "Would you
Lydia Howe
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
What do I even say about this book?

The plot twists were what kept me reading - seriously, I had no clue what to expect moment to moment. It never happened like I thought it would. (Well, hardly ever, anyway.)

But then the narrative itself? Guys, it skipped. We'd see one scene here, and then next thing we heard it would be eight months later and we'd have a paragraph of dialog where we'd catch up on what was going on. That, my friends, is what creates a low rating for me. I'm sure there are some
Anna
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Before you begin this brilliant-breath-taking book here are a few tips.

1). DO NOT READ THIS WHILE CAMPING.

2). Do not read this book in public period.

3). Prepare to have your heart shredded.

Coming into Where Treasure Hides I was expecting some sad thematic tragedies but I was not prepared for that.

The plot alone was fascinating.

You know that point in the book when you realize what the title means or the moment you kind of figure out where the plot is heading?
That point or moment happened after
Reet Champion
Alison Schuyler knows that as the recipient of the Van Schuyler curse she can never marry. Instead she contents herself with art and by working in the family’s old art gallery in Rotterdam. But when World War II strikes her world begins to unravel with devastating effects. Her life is soon consumed with protecting living and inanimate treasure from barbaric Nazi rule. Before long war strikes closer to home. The world has gone over the edge.

Well. Let’s put it like this. If Johnnie Alexander turns
Rebecca
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent historical novel for the first half of the story. The main characters were mildly interesting and I was growing to like them, but it was the art gallery and the paintings referred to in the book that stole the show. To be honest, I was more concerned about the paintings surviving the war than the characters themselves.

I also felt the story went on too long and could have been resolved nicely around 150 pages before the ebook's actual end. The author's chosen plot resolution,
Rose McCauley
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I highly recommend everyone read When Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander. This is my new favorite “Book of the Year” and my favorite era! The author has set a riveting story in Europe during the beginning of WWII and the following years.

I’ve always found this author’s novellas very good, but this is her first long fiction I have read. I was blown away by the details she weaves into the story so naturally. I learned things I never knew about the war years, and about writing a historical novel!
Angele  Ponco
I have a deep love for World War II novels, and this book is no exception. I couldn't believe how quickly I read through this book, and I am a huge fan of the fast yet intricate plot the author had going on. I was deeply invested in all the characters, and it just made me love the book even more. While there were some flaws I noticed, the over-all effect was marvelous.

This is such an underrated book, and I highly recommend everyone to relieve this! Romance in WWII books are my absolute
Denysha
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
They kept finding their way back to each other. Such a lovely read. With God all things are possible & that was a constant reminder in this story.
Amanda Lee
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I found some areas slow and I really couldn’t connect with the saving art vs saving a life struggle. I was also not fond of the insta love. However, I loved the war setting and that their love have them something to hold on to.
Beth
Sep 09, 2015 added it
Reet Champion
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well. Let’s put it like this. If Johnnie Alexander turn
s
Kelly Bridgewater
I have lately been on a binge reading historical romances set during World War II. I love everything by Sarah Sundin, Cara Putnam, Liz Tolsma, and others. When I saw the beautiful cover for Johnnie Alexander’s new book, Where Treasure Hides, I knew I had to get a copy and read it. Alexander’s novel fits right into the genre with the budding romance, the historical timeframe, and the conflict ripped from the pages of history.

The first thing that stands out to me is the setting and Alexander’s
Lynda Edwards
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper-shelf
New authors interest me, especially when they are writing in a time period that I love to read—there is always room for another good writer, and Johnnie Alexander is definitely that. Her writing is realistic, emotional and incredibly powerful. The multiple story threads combine expertly to create a novel that is compelling and complex, rich in detail and populated by developed characters. With this as her first novel, I am sure to be seeking her work out in the future!

One of the overarching
Victor Gentile
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Johnnie Alexander in her new book “Where Treasure Hides” published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. takes us into the lives of Alison Schuyler and Ian Devlin.

From the back cover: Enjoy This moment. Chances are you’ll never see him after today.

Artist Alison Schuyler spends her time working in her family’s renowned art gallery, determined to avoid the curse that has followed the Schuyler clan from the Netherlands to America and back again. She’s certain that true love will only lead to tragedy―
Kathryn Voss
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Where Treasure Hides by Johnnie Alexander is an unforgettable story set in WWII Europe. Combining romance, intrigue, and adventure, Alexander weaves an emotional journey through the perils of war. Her book is filled with events and dangers of the time period, all brought to life in a page turning novel. From cover to cover, her characters take you through a time riddled with danger and a quest of justice amid chaos.

The book features the story of Alison and Ian as they each struggle with
Christy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I think the cover is beautiful and there were many things about this book I liked. After chapter 3 and right up until the last 50 pages I thought the story was very interesting; nothing like I had ever read. The hiding of the art and the children I could have read more and more of that. I enjoyed Allison and Ian the most when they were apart. I loved the feel of the book in my hands; and I can't quite describe it but some books are awkward to hold and touch but this one was just right. The real ...more
Gail Kittleson
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: WWII buffs
This story has more twists than a pine tree has needles. And they're not simply corners and curves in the plot--the heartfelt love story evolves through drastic character transformations. From hesitation to commitment, from safety to danger, from loss to gain, and even from supposed death back to life.

For readers addicted to gripping WWII tales, this is one to delve into and enjoy.
Emily Conrad
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This World War II book had it all: romance, valor, daring escapes, and beautiful writing.
J.E. Grace
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Christian Historical book I've read and I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but WOW it beat any expectations I had. The author spins an excellent story of two people separated by circumstances beyond their control. One to the war, the other plagued by a so-called family curse.

Alison Schuyler, an artist from the Netherlands has a chance meeting at Waterloo Station where she meets a British Captain, Ian Devlin, who in a short time steals her heart. It is war time and they
Cindi
Oh my, where to begin. I haven't read a book this well written in a long while. This is the first book that I've read by this author. Johnnie Alexander was recommended by a friend and I'm so thankful.

The captivating story is set prior to and during World War II. It's truly difficult for me to describe the intimate details given that brought it all to life. Everything from the paintings to the scenery were so beautifully described. The characters are so realistic that you feel as though you not
Bridget
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of potential and some good aspects. But overall, I didn't enjoy it that much, and had quite a few problems with it.

It follows two main characters, Alison and Ian, throughout their individual and joined stories. Alison is an artist, assisting her family at their art gallery, and she helps hide valuable artworks from thieving Nazis. Ian is a lieutenant in the British army, sent to fight as World War 2 breaks out.

I didn't connect with the characters or the plot, maybe because
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where treasure hides, I have to say this was a very good book. It captured me from the start and I really couldn't put it down until I was finished. A lot of people don't know but this story tells what some people don't know about World War II. The German army hid valuable Treasures to try to keep them for themselves, such as paintings, horses, antiques, Etc. This isn't the first book that I have ever read that has mentioned these Treasures being hidden. This isn't a true story but it's based on ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover showing on one edition but not the other 3 14 Jul 13, 2015 08:43AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 19, 2015 06:58AM

• Where We Belong
  • Falling for You (A Bradford Sisters Romance, #2)
  • Until We Find Home
  • Hidden Among the Stars
  • The One True Love of Alice-Ann
  • Firethorn (Discarded Heroes, #4)
  • Nightshade (Discarded Heroes, #1)
  • High As the Heavens
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor, #6)
  • Beyond a Doubt (Rock Harbor, #2)
  • Without a Trace (Rock Harbor, #1)
  • Love on the Line
  • Digitalis (Discarded Heroes #2)
  • Into the Deep (Rock Harbor, #3)
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • The Princess Spy (Hagenheim, #5)
  • Under the Midnight Sun (The Heart of Alaska, #3)
  • Wolfsbane (Discarded Heroes #3)
Johnnie Alexander creates characters you want to meet and imagines stories you won't forget.

Her award-winning debut novel, Where Treasure Hides (Tyndale), made the CBA bestseller list. Her contemporary romance novels include Where She Belongs, When Hope Arrives, and What Hope Remembers.

She currently writes cozy mysteries and contemporaries for Annie's Fiction and historical novellas for Barbour.