Start by marking “The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolves, Book #3)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf King  (Legends of the Wolves, Book #3)

The Wolf King (Legends of the Wolf #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,552 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
In The Silver Wolf, Alice Borchardt brought the brutality and decadent splendor of Dark Ages Rome brilliantly to life in the remarkable tale of Regeane, a beautiful young shapeshifter fighting to live and love as both woman and wolf. Night of the Wolf looked back even further in time, to the days of Julius Caesar, when a woman's beauty bewitched a wolf--and awakened the ma ...more
Published August 28th 2001 by Del Rey Books (first published February 27th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf King, please sign up.

Robin Same here Alyssa, one minute Desiderus was scouting, next minute he had been captured and was in a dungeon. The missing pages were occupied by pages…moreSame here Alyssa, one minute Desiderus was scouting, next minute he had been captured and was in a dungeon. The missing pages were occupied by pages from another book nothing to do with this book....(less)

Chris
The first book in this series is good. Sadly, the rest of the series does not live up to the first book. The plot sounds good; the problem, however, is the book is a loosely strung together series of scenes.
Jami
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would say this is my favorite book of this series although they were all amazing. I wish Alice wasn't dead and that she'd written a lot more books.
Helen Solle-Conner
Fabulous addition to the series
Rowena
I had been looking forward to reading this book for a long time, to see the continuation of Regeane and Maenial's stories, see how they worked together... 'The Silver Wolf' is one of my favourite books, but this one did not live up to my hopes and expectations.

It felt like the author had too many concepts that she wished to include, but couldn't give any of them the focus they required to make sense. Was my attention meant to be on military history, the lives of people during Charlemagne's reig
Merredith
This is the third in the Legends of the Wolves trilogy. I liked the first one, the second one was a prequel, which was a bit drawn out and confused me, and now the third one was a continuation from the first. I read the first back in 2009 or so and it's 2014 now so it was hard to remember some things. the things we learned in the second book did give me a different perspective on the characters now, so i wish i'd read the second one first. This book felt like i was moving through quicksand, just ...more
Julia
Oct 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in a series. Unfortunately, I have not read the other two. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if I had read the other two first, but I don't think it was necessary to read them in order to follow the story.

I felt like the book started very abruptly, and ended abruptly too. I would have preferred to be eased into it a little more in the beginning, and to have more closure at the end.

I enjoyed the first part of the book the most. When Regeane and the Saxon were in th
Fence
Jun 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
Found this to be a very disappointing read. I read the previous two in this series: The Silver Wolf and The Night of the Wolf and while neither of them are spectacularly great novels they were both interesting, well-written stories.

Despite being set in the same world, and dealing with many of the same characters this novel feels half-hearted. As though Borchardt started out with the idea of writing it, but didn’t really put any effort into actually developing the story or the characters. They re
M Strawberry Reviews
Night of the Wolf was a bit disappointing, but Ms. Borchardt made up for it with this book, which is really a continuation of the Silver Wolf as it covers Regeane and Maeniel's married life and the intricacies that come with Dark Age (Charlemagne-era) politics. It certainly is different from today's politics. For the most part, Regeane is happily married, but of course trouble is stirring, and this lovely wolf couple have to deal with it.

I was happy to see the reappearance of a few familiar face
Dark-Draco
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The story is set in the time of Charlemagne, his armies poised to invade Italy. Lord Maeniel, leader of a pack of shape shifting werewolves, agrees to help his King, but doesn't account for the actions of his young bride. Regeane, loyal and loving, is soon embroiled in her own adventure as she begins to discover her own powers. And behind them both is the shadow of an old enemy, Bear.

I have to admit to not liking this that much - the cover is probably the best bit of the whole book. The story wa
Colin
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun but meandering ending to the trilogy . . .

So, I read "The Silver Wolf" a few years ago and enjoyed it. I recently read the second book, which is set centuries before, and is also enjoyable, though the fact that it was the 2nd book in a trilogy and a prequel seemed a bit odd. Now, the third book in the trilogy picks up more-or-less where the first book left off, a tale of werewolves in Carolingian Europe during the rise of Charlemagne. The story meanders a bit, and returns to more fully ex
Jeanna
Jul 21, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had an extremely hard time getting through this book. The writing style becomes increasingly more long-winded and flowery as the book progresses. I found the 'fluff' unnecessary and detrimental to the flow of the story, leaving it stagnant on multiple occasions.

I also felt that much of the character development achieved in the first two books took several serious steps backwards in this book.

All in all, this book was a considerable disappointment as the conclusion to a trilogy. I will not be
Marjorie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
The Wolf King is the final book of a three-book series. The first book, The Silver Wolf, was the favorite for me. The main character from that novel, Regeane, returns as well as others. There are many plot lines that don’t start becoming clear until halfway through the book. What I thought to be a major plot/character storyline is solved before the book is close to done and then just a few loose storyline was wrapped up very abruptly.
So, according to goodread's rating system 2 stars is "it was
Renee B.
3.5 stars!

I read this back in university and while browsing through my to-read books, it popped up in my head (I can't possibly remember every single book I've read >.<)

This was a great story and set in the time of Charlemagne. I will have to re-read it to give it a proper review but I remember that I was very happy after reading the story. I do wish I'd read the first two books in the trilogy though. :/
Joss
May 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natuskashii
I enjoyed the first book back when the Vampire Chronicles had gone on hiatus and this Ms. Borchardt, Rice's relative, seemed to be doing the same treatment to werewolves. I love the concept of a wolf who is sometimes a man, rather than the typical view on lycanthropy. What I didn't like was the second book in the series, which really wasn't well written. For some reason, I kept getting lost in the prose. Who said or did what now?
Kate
I read this largely because I had just come off of reading all of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles in order, and figured since Borchardt is Anne Rice's sister, this might be like the Vampire Chronicles for werewolves. This was what I believed was a prequel and so I read it first, but therein lies the danger of a prequel where you probably ought to have some knowledge of the characters, setting, etc. I was totally lost and couldn't finish.
Janin
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so pleased to discover that Alice Borchardt had written another book in this series. I hadn't realized when I started it that there is another book between it and the first, Silver Wolf. So I'll definitely have to get that one as well. It was so nice to revisit favored characters and I have to admit, I was unpleasantly surprised when I reached the end of the book and discovered that Alice passed away in 2007.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Regeane and Maeniel are back. This one more political intrigue is afoot and with a rather unreasonable king. Although really, are any kings reasonable? Aren't most so inbred that they are crazy, spoiled and commit hubris on a daily basis? This was a fitting ending to the trilogy. I just don't have as much to say about it because I've figured out, I don't particular enjoy books with so much political intrigue. I get sleepy.
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 1/2 stars. I really wanted to like this trilogy. I thought the premise had so much promise. This being the third and last book, my overall impression is just meh. They were OK. It was a bit of a disappointment; particularly the flat ending. Perhaps Alice Borchardt intended to continue the story, in the same manner as sister Anne Rice has done. Borchardt's writing seemed to be trying too hard to be Rice's, yet couldn't achieve it. Yet Borchardt had a great idea for this trilogy.
Forgotten Realms Queen
Better than the first, worse than the second. For the most part, it wasn't all that bad, but towards the middle end it got weird again. The author started reference, inferring, insuniating, and giving us no facts at all. Rather frustrating because it makes no sense.

Despite being the sister to one of the horror genre queens, I really would not reccomend this trilogy unless you have a really abstract way of thinking. Maybe then you can undertand what she's saying...
Jen
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I stilled enjoyed this book, I liked Silver Wolf a little better. The characters are once again pulled into a political mess, where they must use all their wits and "special" skills to get themselves out of it. The characters I really enjoyed in this book was Matrona and The Saxon, these two really made the book for me!
Audrina
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Un libro hermoso que disfruté bastante.

Desde el momento en el que lo ví me enamoré de su portada y del título. No tenia ni la menor idea de que iba pero aun así lo compré y no me arrepiento de haberlo hecho.

La historia se muestra llena de romance y fantasía aderezada con la manera de actuar de los lobos de siempre ver por la manada. Un libro precioso
Mary Kay Gray
I'll finish the book but it's slow reading. The print in the book is small. I'm reading most books on my Kindle and I like that better.

The other thing that slows me down is trying to imagine the world decribed. I would probably read another book by this author to compare the two but I don't want to read it right away.
Anna
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I kept going through the series because it had so much promise, but in my opinion it flopped. There was too much attention to politics, brutality, and negative relationships and very little attention to developing the characters, positive relationships, and fantasy world that could have made it great. Disappointed.
Claire
Jan 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good book, second fav from Alice Borchardt after the Silver Wolf. Regeane reprises her role from the Silver Wolf, this time as a desperate woman who is first lost in the snow then forgets her identity as Manael searches all over Europe for her and is eventually drawn into the great events occurring at the time.
Lemon
Not *quite* as good as The Silver Wolf, but I was still delighted to return to the series' world and characters. While Regeane and Maeniel play a major role in this one, I found myself much more interested in the new characters this book adds. I don't think this one stands as well on its own, so you should definitely read Silver Wolf first.
Becca
So far, this has been a fairly easy read --- I am reading a few pages at a time, and as the plot thickens, I find I can read more pages in a sitting.

Not a very compelling story if you're not into stories from the era of time the book is set in but a good book nonetheless.
Gretchen Segarra-melendez
As backwards as I read this series, the conclusion to it felt very much like a cliff hanger, I only wish Miss Borchardt was still alive to make me feel complete in the series. Excellent prose as always, one could only hope for lost manuscripts!!
Stephen Coleman
This was a very clever story line with a lot of good material but I found myself confused over character names and in the end had to force myself to continue reading. In essence it was a great start, diminishing middle and rushed ending.

Such a shame really as it did have good promise.
Elyse
This book started out very promising and then promptly took a turn for the worst. I had to force myself to keep reading it. The rapid change of POVs was nauseating and the use of modern slang in medieval time setting did not work at all.
Alan
Aug 06, 2011 added it
By Anne Rice's sister. Good werewolves in the time of Charlemagne. Too many undead evil beings wandering around wreaking havoc. OK, it got a bit better as it went along, but I think I'll skip the one's that came before in the series.
  • Wolf Captured (Firekeeper Saga, #4)
  • To Tame A Wolf (Historical Werewolf, #5)
  • The Promise (Devoncroix Dynasty, #2)
  • Moon Dance
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • Dragon and Phoenix (Dragonlord, #2)
  • Wolfbreed (Wolfbreed, #1)
  • Most Beloved Sister
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
  • Bite the Bullet (Crimson Moon, #2)
  • The Blood Curse (Cursed Kingdoms, #3)
  • Ratha and Thistle-Chaser (The Named, #3)
  • The Lion Throne
  • The Dragon Quartet Omnibus, Volume 1
  • Resurrection (The Wereling, #3)
Alice O'Brien was born on 6 October 1939 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA. She was one of five sister of Katherine "Kay" Allen and Howard O'Brien. The O'Brien family moved to Richardson, Texas, when Alice was a teenager. She began her nursing career in Houston, where she met and married her husband, Clifford Borchardt. After a 30-year career as a licensed vocational nurse, Borchardt faced staff redu ...more
More about Alice Borchardt...

Legends of the Wolf (3 books)
  • The Silver Wolf (Legends of the Wolf #1)
  • Night of the Wolf (Legends of the Wolf, #2)
“So fair a victor, how can I help but be conquered.” 10 likes