Start by marking “Swords into Plowshares: A Life in Wartime and a Future of Peace and Prosperity” as Want to Read:
Swords into Plowshares: A Life in Wartime and a Future of Peace and Prosperity

Swords into Plowshares: A Life in Wartime and a Future of Peace and Prosperity

In his latest book, Swords into Plowshares, Dr. Paul reveals an intensely personal side as he reflects on growing up during World War II. The book also provides a powerful critique of the corruption and corrosion produced by a 20th century full of war and killing. Ever the optimist, however, Paul leaves behind the ashes of a 20th century of war to finish with a stirring, l ...more
Published July 17th 2015 by Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity

To ask other readers questions about Swords into Plowshares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swords into Plowshares

Raf
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Paul strikes again! He is one of the greatest statesmen of our time. As a congressman, he always spoke his mind and never voted along party lines. Ron was an individual who actually fulfilled his oath to obey the constitution. This is by far one of my favorite of his books primarily because it addresses an issue that is slowly devastating our nation fiscally and slowly eroding our civil liberties. Ron writes about the horrors of war and that governments will go to great lengths to lie and br ...more
Ruth
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ron Paul details reasons why the US should no longer police the world, and makes the case for a noninterventionist foreign policy. He also shows the effects of blowback from US interference around the world. Dr. Paul makes it clear how war profiteers and other special interests gain from these actions while the public suffers in multiple ways. I recommend this book to anyone who may be skeptical of the constant state of war that we're in.
Vince
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ron Paul does it again, stating how the systematic change to a tyrannical government is what we need to end the senseless death of millions of innocent people. unfortunately, his message will not be publicized or heard by many due to their own ignorance of personal liberties and prosperity.
Vamsi Krishna
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
When I review a book that is supposed to promote a certain type of political philosophy, a huge part of the grade I gave it depends on its ability to convince me to support whatever position the author is trying to promote. Now in this book, I was able to deduce the purpose of Ron Paul writing this was to convince the reader to become anti-war and support a foreign policy that the founders wanted (a non-interventionist policy).

I no longer consider myself libertarian is because I can no longer st
Michael Horst
I found Dr. Paul's treatise on war and peace to be enlightening. However, while he makes a myriad of excellent points, very little is said about how to actually solve the problems on a practical level. Dr. Paul approaches it more from a philosophical level.

This book has changed my attitude towards American interventionism abroad somewhat, but I still would love to read a book about how the ideas put forth in this book can be implemented on a practical and realistic level.
Tim
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites of Ron Paul's books. As usual he packs a bunch and holds nothing back in this view into the flaws of American foreign policy. The U.S. government is one of the main reasons why world peace will never happen. Hopefully more people will read this book and start paying attention to the nonaggression principle. It could save lives, thousands of lives.
Felicia Fiore
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Ron Paul's books. They are very insightful and show you how war is a business both sides of government secretly support. Recommend this book.
Tom Patrowsky
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love Ron Paul. Up to this point, I've loved everything I've read by him including Revolution: A Manifesto, End the Fed, Liberty Defined, and The School Revolution. Perhaps it is because I am too familiar with his work that I found this book to be rather uninspiring.

He really seems to repeat himself over and over. He steadfastly challenges modern popular opinion on war (which is itself brave and commendable) but I don't think he has really advanced the conversation. He attempts to deal with the
Eric
Classic Ron Paul. Been a huge fan since the late 2000's. This man opened my eyes so that I am able to identify all the obstacles in the path to a society of peace and prosperity and how a society can chose to avoid those obstacles if peace and prosperity are the ends we seek. He taught me everything I should have been taught in my teen years but wasn't because so few people are educated in a worldview founded in non-aggression. If you have read several of Ron Paul's other books, there is nothing ...more
Cormacjosh
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Paul's latest anti war manifesto is an inspiring read. Was it idealistic? Yes. But the world needs people who hold to their principles. Dr. Paul's positive outlook and faith in positive outcomes despite the hopelessness reported by mass media outlets is inspiring and refreshing. For me, it was very much like preaching to the choir, and got my anti war hackles up to a very intense degree. But I think sometimes we need that, it is healthy to hear that somebody shares your views and is very opt ...more
Lee Button
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ron Paul has become a controversial icon for simply being liberty minded. This book is a clear and understandable thesis of why he stands for freedom and how Americans can regain it. If you don't like to hear the status quo, that is the Republican and Democrat parties, challenged by the Constitution, don't bother reading. If you want encouragement on how to stage a peaceful recovery of government stolen liberties, here it is.
Ike Hall
The complete argument against war

Ron Paul has presented the argument against war and the tyrants who plan and wage war in as concise and compelling a fashion as I have ever read. This is not a book to be considered lightly, as it is also a clarion call to deny politicians the cover to wage any wars and the money to fund them.
Roberto Carnier
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An Excellent book. Dr Ron Paul shines an important overview of the non-interventionism principle, consequences of military nation building and the mistakes performed by US Militarism throughout the 90's-2000's. A must for every International Relations Student and Analysts.
Chris Elkjar
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty strong anti-war polemic from Ron Paul. Nothing really unexpected but it's nice to hear people who have held positions of power eloquently describe the problems within the current system.
Patrick
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Not his best work... I highly prefer The Revolution... or Audit the Fed.
Casey
Aug 19, 2015
Trey Smith
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Republican United States Congressman from Lake Jackson, Texas, a physician, a bestselling author, and a former 2008 U.S. presidential candidate.
Originally from the Pittsburgh suburb of Green Tree, Pennsylvania, he studied at Duke University School of Medicine; after his 1961 graduation and a residency in obstetrics and gynecology, he became a U.S. Air Force flight surgeon, serving outside the Viet
“Must there always be “wars and rumors of war”? Accepting the inevitability of war is one thing, but glorifying war in the name of God and claiming that it reflects strong character and patriotism is quite another.” 5 likes
“How did the American people ever reach this point where they believe that US aggression in the Middle East will make us safe when it does the opposite? How did the American people ever reach the point where they believe that fighting unconstitutional wars is required to protect our freedoms and our Constitution? Why do we allow the NSA, CIA, FBI, TSA, etc. to destroy our liberty at home, as part of the Global War on Terror, with a pretext that they are preserving our liberty? Why are the lying politicians reelected and allowed to bankrupt our country, destroy our money, and enter wars without the proper consent? Why do the American people suffer in silence and not scream “Enough is enough!”? We’ve had enough of the “humanitarian do-gooders” and the proponents of “American exceptionalism” who give us nothing but war, economic suffering, and less freedom. This can and must be stopped.” 3 likes