Start by marking “Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer” as Want to Read:
Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer

Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer

You have an enemy . . . and he’s dead set on destroying all you hold dear and keeping you from experiencing abundant life in Christ. What’s more, his approach to disrupting your life and discrediting your faith isn’t general or generic, not a one-size-fits-all. It’s specific. Personalized. Targeted.

So this book is your chance to strike back. With prayer. With a weapon
Published July 5th 2015 by B&H Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Fervent, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lesley Smedley Hi Robin! I am just now seeing this question. I don't necessarily consider the action to be that of the puppet. However, I do believe that when we are…moreHi Robin! I am just now seeing this question. I don't necessarily consider the action to be that of the puppet. However, I do believe that when we are being prayerful or seeing to increase our spirituality, it is difficult for the enemy to infiltrate our minds. Therefore, he will find ways to irritate you and those around you. (less)

Start your review of Fervent: A Woman's Battle Plan to Serious, Specific, and Strategic Prayer
Morgan
If you're in search of a good resource on prayer, here is a list of books I would recommend

Tim Keller, "Prayer"
D.A. Carson, "A Call to Spiritual Reformation"
Paul Miller, "A Praying Life"
Chappell, "Praying Backwards"
Donald Whitley, "Praying the Bible"
(which ones would you add? Would love your feedback in comments)

Each of these books rightly focuses prayer on the One who receives glory in our praying. Unfortunately, I felt Shirer spent so much time focusing on Satan that one may find it easy to
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
If you have seen the movie War Room and are longing to implement what you saw on the screen through Priscilla Shirer's character then you need this book. I loved the movie but this book just takes it over the top. If you've ever experienced a Bible study by Priscilla you already know what I mean. If not let me give you a little glimpse of what is to come.

The opening of the book sets the stage so you will have no doubt about what is expected. Here's the opening paragraph to prove what I'm saying:
Karen
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Priscilla has written a book on prayer that is as practical as they come. It's not a theoretical dissertation on prayer. It's a nuts and bolts "let's get on our knees and get after it" guide. Step by step coverage of ten different areas of your life: passion, focus, identity, family, past, fears, purity, pressures, hurts and relationships. She includes numerous specific scriptures for each of these ten areas. If this book doesn't motivate you in the war against the enemy of your soul I don't ...more
Robin Hatcher
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book on prayer. Fervent prayer. I read it on my Kindle, but I think I will need to buy a print copy so that I can more easily focus in on the ends of each chapter. Whether I do that or not, this is a book that should be read more than once and should be put into practice. Thanks, Pricilla, for your obedience in writing this book!
Jeanie
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Rating 3.5 stars

Praying fervently is gearing up to do battle. Prayer works as an offense and a defense. Prayer releases all your external resources.

Before I go into what I like about this book, I want to express my concerns. Shirer is passionate about prayer and how as Christians we can underestimate what Satan can do. I do not dispute that, however, it can be too easy to say The devil made me do it. I don't think that is what she is saying because her book is all about strategy It can be easy
Amy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-reviews
WOW!! I am so impressed with this book, I am not sure I can cram how I feel about it in a short review. This book has certainly taken me to new heights in my prayer life and made me think about the areas it has been lacking, as well as, develop new strategies for prayer. Most importantly though, Priscilla has re-enforced a truth I so easily forget - We have an enemy!! That enemy is not our family members, husband, friends, church, leaders, co-workers - That enemy is Satan - the devil himself - ...more
Beth Vogt
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given Fervent as a gift and, within a few days of starting to read it, I bought three copies of it to give as gifts, too. When I say this book is "life changing," I don't use the term lightly. Priscilla Shirer reminds woman of the importance and power of prayer -- and then leads us through specific areas in our life to pray over. Reading this book -- and writing out personalized prayers -- breathed new life into my prayer time.
Kells Next Read
"Prayer with purpose and Precision"

Powerful!!! So Powerful I listen to this twice. A must read for all christians. I'll have to have this as a regular re-read every six months. We are at war and the battle needs to be fought on our knees in prayer.

"The Bible is an old book but God's word is always fresh and vibrant."

Had to Re-Read as I finally got me the physical copy of this book.

Still a 5 Star Read. Glory to God!!
Rachel B
Shirer claims this book offers a plan for specific and strategic prayer. I'm not convinced.

Each of the 10 chapters covers an area of life where we Christians tend to struggle - she calls them "strategies that Satan uses to destroy us" - Passion, Focus, Identity, Family, Past, Fears, Purity, Pressures, Hurts, Relationships.

She gives only one strategy for prayer: the acronym PRAY - Praise, Repentance, Asking, Yes (essentially, claiming biblical promises). So there is a lot of repetition, as she
Jo
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
~Heads up~
The author does not use KJV
~Personal review~
A lot of women love this book and I totally get it. It’s fun, it’s passionate, it’s personal.
I have a word of caution though.
This book teeters in the edge of a very FEELINGS ORIENTED spiritual life (or should I say death, because once a person begins feeding on feelings alone, they will spiritually starve.)
Prayer is a wonderful thing.
It is a spiritual thing.
There is a spiritual battle going on right now.
>So why do I caution against this
Ashley
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
After completing the Armor of God study by Priscilla Shirer a couple years ago I knew I wanted to pick up Fervent.

In many ways, this book was an echo of Armor of God, with many of the same topics and stories. Nonetheless, it was a great refresher and I benefitted in many ways from reading this. I have started writing my prayers down since I started reading and have already noticed a difference in my life. Prayer is something I have always struggled with because I find my mind wandering as I
Regina
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the other devotional that was written to go along with the movie "War Room" first. I found it to be more insightful and practical. Honestly it seemed like the author repeated herself a lot and sometimes was rather simplistic and trite. She definitely stresses writing down your prayers to repeat. I prefer to pray from my heart and use scripture that God brings to my mind rather than reading my prayers. I think it would tend to become habitual and monotonous to pray that way. Her ...more
Keli Redd
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, divvied into strategy, namely prayer strategies, for ten major areas of life, is remarkable. I mean WOW to the number of times I kept referencing them long after I read them. Don’t know what took me so long to finish it.....personal problems, grief, collapse in my prayer life maybe? But when it touched my hands again, I found that it contains the same infallible truth about God’s Word and the powerful weapon that is prayer. Amen.
Tim Chavel
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thai book was written after the movie, "War Room!" The author played an important part in the movie and she is also a well known Christian speaker, and daughter of the Pastor Tony Evans. Even though this book is written for women, I think it is an encouragement and challenge to all who read it. Many wonderful principles taught in this book! I trust the quotes below will be a blessing to you:

Not everything good thing is a God thing. ~Priscilla Shirer

Satan’s ploy is to make you believe your core
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. The author doesn't seem very knowledgeable about theology or the proper way to interpret Scripture. I lost confidence in their opinion pretty quickly. Some of the points are really good, but others are a bit of a stretch and don't quite line up with Biblical theology.

The author emphasizes spiritual warfare and the devil's schemes a little too much. I would have preferred more emphasis on Christ's power and the sweet restfulness of prayer,
Rissa
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fervent
Teaching us how to pray better. How to see who the real enemy is and why we need to stop blaming ourselves, our family and friends and even God. We need to realise that Satan in the prince of earth and he loves the chaos and madness. We need to rise above and focus on God. Praying helps.
Rachel Dodson
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you want to be a prayer warrior? Have you ever felt that your prayer life needed something extra? Do you want to know the perfect strategies to fight against the battles of the devil? This is the book for you. Follow Priscilla through a journey of your prayer life. Find strategies for fighting against the devil in his attempt to distract you and those around you.

I have been so enveloped by this book. I can't believe the difference it has made in my life. I have been a Christian for a very
Callie
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Update: I'm adding an update to this post because I read another really helpful review on this book that brought up some concerns that are totally valid. I enjoyed this book and just kind of dismissed some of the silly parts the first time I read it, but this review was really fair in how it covered the aspects that I liked and also brought up some things that are probably more concerning than I originally gave them credit for. I've learned a few things about Shirer that have me a bit more wary. ...more
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Ready to do battle with your prayer life? If not, pass this book straight on by. An enemy is out there and if you want to just collect go, get your $200 bucks and move through life, don't bother.
Christy Ryan
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first non fiction audio book, and I couldn't have picked a better one. I listened to several samples before I purchased and that really helped! Some books I had been wanting to read were just not as easy to listen too. Pricilla voices this herself. Her passion and reading style had me so hooked that I finished this in a couple of days, although I know I will probably go back and listen to this one over and over.

Praying specifically and really waging war in my prayer life is for sure
Marilyn Diamond
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listen this is one of those books you put up in your personal library to keep referring back to.

Not only did I embark on a prayer vision with writing down my prayers with scripture, God has answered and his word is not void. War Room has started a phenonmenon!

Priscilla is on a Fervent Tour and I'm going to be in the audience to get my word on.
MacKenzie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, non-fiction
I was hesitant to start this book but it turned out to be fabulous! Strong encouragement to prayer while also making us much more aware of the enemy we are facing. Filled with scripture references for strategic prayer, Fervant is a tremendous resource. I think that every woman could stand to benefit from this book!
Ellen Kehs
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. It changed my outlook and method of prayer.
I found myself highlighting and taking notes throughout every chapter, and frequently writing The names of girlfriends who I could apply scripture to or pray for . Great read!
Cindy Nipper
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully encouraging! We all need to be praying more! This books helps you build a prayer strategy to write your prayers and stay diligent in defeating the devil and all he's doing in trying to defeat you!
Michelle Slomp
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
Loved this book. A quick simple read, however, full of deep truths.
Annette
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! We truly need to take notice and understand the power of prayer and how the enemy works.
Shirley Ross
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
This is a book I needed to read at this time in my life. I recommend it to all
Mary Reilly
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew that this was going to be a powerful book when it began with one of my favorite LOTR’s quotes. Filled with Scriptures and ideas guides to specific strategies to defeat the enemies plans for me through the power of Jesus. Fervent prayer availeth much.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Looking for a great book on the strategies of battle worthy prayer for women? Something like industrial grade survival gear to face off against the enemy instead of taking on friendly fire, or being defeated in yet another daily spiritual battle? How many more times we will risk falling victim to the enemies schemes to cause division in our homes, families, marriages, relationships and just about every area of our life, while he simply seems to get better at it? If you are ready to get serious ...more
Nora St Laurent
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Fervent is a hands-on, knee-down, never-give-up action guide to practical, purpose praying.” I agree.

I read War Room (a novelization of the movie) starring Priscilla. I’m in the middle of doing her new study titled The Armor of God, now. I felt that Fervent was a great resource that could be a practical in-depth guide to prayer. Fervent is what I expected and more. It’s an eye-opener in reference to the battles being waged against us daily.

Priscilla states, “…this is war. The fight of your
Fervent by Priscilla Shirer 3 13 Oct 05, 2019 09:50PM
What is your battle plan? 1 8 Jul 06, 2017 12:50PM

• The Battle Plan for Prayer: Attacking Life's Struggles Through Prayer
  • It's Not Supposed to Be This Way: Finding Unexpected Strength When Disappointments Leave You Shattered
  • The Best Yes: Making Wise Decisions in the Midst of Endless Demands
  • Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
  • Unglued: Making Wise Choices in the Midst of Raw Emotions
  • Kingdom Woman: Embracing Your Purpose, Power, and Possibilities
  • Audacious
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
  • Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food
  • Lioness Arising
  • Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life
  • Restless Study Guide: Because You Were Made for More
  • The Confident Woman: Knowing Who You Are in Christ
  • One Thousand Gifts
  • Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
“We pray because our own solutions don’t work and because prayer deploys, activates, and fortifies us against the attacks of the enemy. We pray because we’re serious about taking back the ground he has sought to take from us.” 28 likes
“Prayer is the portal that brings the power of heaven down to earth. It is kryptonite to the enemy and to all his ploys against you.” 21 likes