Start by marking “A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)

A Savage Hunger

(Paula Maguire #4)

The fourth in the crime series featuring forensic psychologist Paula Maguire by Claire McGowan acclaimed as 'Ireland's answer to Ruth Rendell' by Ken Bruen.

Victim: Female. Twenty-two years of age.
Reason for investigation: Missing person.
ID: Alice Morgan. Student. Last seen at a remote religious shrine in Ballyterrin.

Alice Morgan's disappearance raises immediate questions
Audio
Published March 10th 2016 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about A Savage Hunger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Savage Hunger

Start your review of A Savage Hunger (Paula Maguire, #4)
Liz Barnsley
So here we are at the 4th in the really very excellent "Paula Maguire" series and with A Savage Hunger Claire Mcgowan took it up a notch (and made me grumble madly at her on Twitter) with her usual mix of current mystery and ongoing trauma for her main protagonists. A real page turner this one, not that the others were any different in that sense, but for me I was hanging off every word this time, waiting to see what would happen.

When Alice goes missing, her family background means that the poli
Sharon Bolton
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
‘The corpse on the bed was still breathing.’

With this powerful opening line begins an intelligent and compelling story of love, loss and vengeance in a land where the past and its secrets lurk around every corner.

A young student at a private university in Northern Ireland has vanished. No one seems bothered. Not her parents, not the university authorities, not her friends. Alice Morgan, is seems, was a bit odd. Never mind the blood stains in the church where she was last seen, the famous religi
Christine
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to believe, we have reached the fourth Paula Maguire! A Savage Hunger thrusts us back into the Northern Irish world of Paula, our complicated mixed up forensic psychologist. In the post Troubles era, the past comes back to haunt Paula in more ways than one.

The main story features a young student, from a local college who goes missing. Alice’s blood has been found at a church and an religious artefact is no where to be seen. This thread of the story is fascinating because of the flashba
Miss M
Really turned into soap opera in this one. But damn, the woman's good with a cliffhanger...
Barbara
I am hooked on following Paula McGuire, the forensic psychologist who returns home to Northern Ireland from England to work on a short-term assignment. She has now been there through four novels, but readers don't really know if she'll stay or if she'll go (to paraphrase The Clash). McGowan has created an interesting and compelling character that keeps me coming back to these books.

The author ends each books with a cliff-hanger, as well as leaving readers wondering what will happen next in Paula
Joanne Robertson
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has been an interesting series so far and this recent addition really stands out for me. Dr Paula Maguire returns in this 4th book- a self contained mystery involving a missing person. It can be read as a standalone novel but to get the full appreciation of Paula's relationships and history, it's probably better to read the books in order of publication.

22 year old Alice has gone missing. At the church where she was working as a caretaker and was last seen, there is a lot of blood, an old p
Richard
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is also so much pleasure to read of Paula Maguire and be transpotted to Northern Ireland by this talented writing of Claire McGowan. She writes with the maturity of someone who has lived throughout the recent darker history of Ulster from the troubles, through the peace process to the present day. Yet she is much too young and therefore her talent is natural and based on an ear for a story and the imagination research alone can not inspire.
In this series the missing are central to every inves
Bruce Hatton
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-crime
The fourth novel in this engrossing series takes place two years after its predecessor, The Silent Dead. Guy Brooking has now returned to London, Helen Corry demoted to Detective Sergeant, Gerard Monoghan promoted to that rank and Paula and Aidan are preparing for their wedding.
Alice Morgan, a student at Oakdale, a college for disturbed rich kids, has disappeared, last seen at a remote religious shrine, exactly 32 years after another young female, Yvonne O'Neill disappeared from the same site. T
Cleopatra  Pullen
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, crime-series
I really enjoy this series which initially followed the cases Dr Paula McGuire investigated as part of the Missing Persons Unit on the border between Northern and Southern Ireland. The idea of the unit was to overcome the problems of cross-border information exchange but sadly that has fallen away and now Paula is working as a consultant with the police in Northern Ireland.

Claire McGowan cleverly links the missing person in this book, Alice Morgan, an anorexia sufferer with the hunger strikes ca
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for an advance copy of A Savage Hunger, the fourth novel in the Paula Maguire series. This is not a series I have read before so I was interested to see what it's all about. There are pros and cons to not starting at the beginning of a series but I don't see many in this case, apart from good reads, as the characters are well developed and the important parts of the back story are adequately explained.
Dr Paula Maguire, a missing person specialist, is
Inger Alice
Roman Clodia
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is much better than the last book in the series but I still haven't quite warmed to Paula. There's a technical awkwardness is her being a forensic psychologist who offers no psychological insights and effectively functions as a hanger-on to the police.

Where this series scores, though, is the portrayal of post-Troubles Northern Ireland. Here the text draws provocative parallels between the 1981 IRA hunger strikers, religious fasting and anorexia.

Paula's personal life continues to be complica
Marina Sofia
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This goes down easily and smoothly, like Irish whiskey! The intricacies of daily life in Northern Ireland and the echoes of the recent past are enthralling to someone as unfamiliar with them as I am. There was a lot of backstory which I didn't quite get, although the author did her best to catch a new reader up with it, so I'll have to go back to the start of the series.
Judie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitely like this series because the mysteries are good, but I don't care for Paula Maguire - she doesn't strike me as being a good at her job or at managing her life - but despite her, the story works.
Ingrid
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable book about Paula Maguire. I'm looking forward to the next one.
StefanieFreigericht
A Hunger Strike

July 2013, Ballyterrin, Northern Ireland, on the border. Just while forensic psychologist Paula Maguire faces her upcoming wedding with increasing concern, a new case demands the attention the PSNI. 22-year-old Alice is missing, the daughter of influential Home Office executive Lord Morgan. What is weird is that nobody seems to take her absence serious, not even really her own parents or her best friends. The student had left her university to spend time near a church, obsessed wi
Clare
Listened to in audio format.

A Savage Hunger is the fourth book in the Paula Maguire series. I am glad to say that Claire Mcgowan is back on firm ground after the disappointing The Silent Dead.

The story has moved on two years after The Silent Dead. Baby Maggie is two years old and Paula and Aidan are due to get married soon.

Paula and the team are investigating the disappearance of Alice Morgan. Alice is a caretaker in a local church, when the police examine the church they find a substantial amo
Rob Kitchin
A Savage Hunger is the fourth book in the Paula Maguire series set in Northern Ireland’s borderlands. Maguire is a forensic psychologist who specializes in finding missing people. In this outing Maguire helps the PSNI try to find a young university student, Alice Morgan, who is anorexic and is studying at a small third level college dedicated to educating other troubled students. Competing for Maguire’s attention is her upcoming wedding, which she’s been dreading. To add to unease, her ex-boss a ...more
CYNTHIA WARNER
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't help it, I'm hooked! I don't like the main character, Paula, and all her drama (most of it of her own making with tenuous support from the earlier books, I mean when did she get so close to Guy that they could "read each other's minds"? She slept with him the first night she met him in the first book and didn't speak with him or avoided speaking of personal things ever after... And Aiden....She hadn't seen or spoken to him in 10 years and AND then she sleeps with him too....then spends t ...more
Eadie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Book 4 of the series begins with a repeat of a missing person's murder case similar to one that happened decades earlier. Paula is getting married but she is so focused on the case she doesn't even take time to pick out her wedding dress for her upcoming wedding. This tightly plotted mystery has many twists which keep the pages turner. These books get better and better with each book. The series should be read in order so that you can get the back history of the characters. The very surprising c ...more
Naoise Nickolay
While I really enjoy the majority of the authors meanderings, this one has way too many references to previous adventures and I know we may want to bring new readers up to date but for those of us who are familiar with Paula and her shenanigans it really is just a shade too far in setting the scene and sharing the back story, either it’s good enough to stand on its own or it’s not.
Please pick and advise readers appropriately.
Jenni
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love the adventures of Paula McGuire! Once again Claire McGowan has outdone herself. After every book, I cross my fingers and hope that there will soon be another Paula Maguire book. I would be completely devastated if Ms McGowan decided not to write another book featuring her strong but sad Paula
Maguire. Love, love, loved it 5 Stars!!
Francisco Machado
The fourth in the series. Paula is weeks away from her wedding. Nothing is ever straightforward in her life. Alice a troubled young woman disappears from her private university. She is last seen in a church where 30 years ago another young woman disappeared. We follow Paula and the team and also listen to Alice’s story. Paula’s own life unravels until the final page. Great stuff.
cliff a russell
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Must Crime Drama

If you have even the most tenuous connections with the island of Ireland or none, this is another great read. I did one tour, Short Strand 1972, and I am still processing the events. This answers no questions I have but it does reflect the reality. Outstanding!
MRS J
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Another brilliant book in the Paula Maguire series keeps me wanting more love this series. The characters are so believable and interesting. Who will she choose in the end to be with? Can't wait to find out!

Jan
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another good one. Addictive. She is so good at ensuring you read the next one!
Claire
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good .
Anneke
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had lot of trouble with this book. Very complicated with lots of events unexplained. I have already bought two more of her books and now wished I hadn't.
Brenda Kittelty
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Paula! How can it be that your life has become even more complicated and angst ridden? Next volume is being eagerly sought.
Ciara Begley
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was right on the verge of losing interest in the character's indecision when a plot twist demonstrated why it was there in the first place. Brilliantly done.

• Red Ribbons (Dr. Kate Pearson, #1)
  • The Doll's House (Dr. Kate Pearson, #2)
  • Are You Watching Me (DS Claire Boyle #2)
  • The Cutting Place (Maeve Kerrigan #9)
  • Last Kiss (Dr. Kate Pearson, #3)
  • Little Doubt (DI Kelly Porter, #7)
  • The Game Changer (Dr. Kate Pearson, #4)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • The Kill (Maeve Kerrigan, #5)
  • Blood Rites (DI Kelly Porter, #6)
  • One Bad Turn (DS Claire Boyle #3)
  • The Murder Game (Stephanie King #2)
  • Don't Turn Back (DS Karen Hart, #3)
  • See Them Run (Detective Clare Mackay, #1)
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Flowers on Her Grave
Claire McGowan grew up in a small village in Northern Ireland. After a degree in English and French from Oxford University she moved to London and worked in the charity sector. THE FALL is her first novel, which is followed by a series starring forensic psychologist Paula Maguire. She also writes as Eva Woods.

Paula Maguire (6 books)
  • The Lost (Paula McGuire, #1)
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • The Silent Dead (Paula Maguire, #3)
  • Blood Tide (Paula Maguire, #5)
  • The Killing House (Paula Maguire, #6)