Start by marking “Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7)” as Want to Read:
Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7)

Read Book

Goodbye to the Dead

(Jonathan Stride #7)

Detective Jonathan Stride's first wife, Cindy, died of cancer eight years ago, but her ghost hangs over Stride's relationship with current lover, and fellow detective, Serena Dial. When Serena witnesses a brutal murder outside a Duluth bar, she stumbles onto a case with roots that go all the way back to the last year of Cindy Stride's life.
At the time, Cindy and Stride wer
Published March 8th 2016 by Quercus (first published October 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye to the Dead, please sign up.
Patrick Are you referring to the summaries on the Goodreads site?

Are you referring to the summaries on the Goodreads site?

Yes, they both deal with events from the past. Yes, Cat is in both books. Otherwise, the books are completely different.(less)

Start your review of Goodbye to the Dead (Jonathan Stride #7)
Diane S ☔
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This case takes Stride back eight years, when his high school sweetheart who became his wife, is still alive. So though her death has played an important role in his novels this is the first time the reader really gets to hear from Cindy. That time they were on different sides since it was a friend of Cindy, a notable heart surgeon who was accused of murdering her husband. This present case, a woman shot in front of a bar leads back in a strange way to the previous crime.

Stride is an interesting
Brenda
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I read Brian Freeman's first novel, Immoral, I rated it 5 stars. None of the following books rated that high for me until now. Goodbye to the Dead is a fitting tribute to the 10th anniversary of the Jonathan Stride series and gets an easy 5 stars from me.

I was already familiar with the main characters, and I loved getting to know Stride's late wife, Cindy. I found her so much more likable than Serena, who really didn't bother me as much in this book. Maggie was ... Maggie!

I also loved the s
Jean
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
For eight years, Detective Jonathan Stride has missed his wife Cindy. When she died of cancer, Stride lost faith in having a permanent relationship again. In his relationship with beautiful detective Serena Dial, there is always a sense that the ghost of Cindy looms largely between them. In Goodbye to the Dead, Brian Freeman’s seventh book in his Jonathan Stride series, we get a look back at a time when Jonny and Cindy agreed to disagree in a murder investigation in which Cindy believed her frie ...more
Brian Freeman
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I always like to give readers a little back-story with each new novel -- and GOODBYE TO THE DEAD is particularly important to me. I've been in the business for ten years now, and I envisioned GOODBYE TO THE DEAD as a ten-year anniversary novel for me (and for Jonathan Stride).

When we first met Stride all the way back in my first book IMMORAL, he was dealing with the loss of his wife, Cindy, to cancer. That loss has cast a long shadow over the entire series. Stride and his new partner, Serena, ha
L.A. Starks
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Linda Strong
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this one when it came out ... and this was before I was really active here in Goodreads. This has been one of the best series ..ever!

5 STARS for the series! 5 STARS for the author!
Maureen DeLuca
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Stride series first came out in 2005 with Immoral- although I read it way after 2005 - it was, by far one of the best books I've read- and fell in love with this series, giving Immoral a 5 star read- This book came out 10 years after- and again, this is a 5 star read. If you never picked up this series- it is well worth it- starting from book number 1. Were all the books as good? Nope. But having said that- I still kept on reading. This book brings us back to Jonathan's first wife... TH ...more
Mort
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 STARS

If you like psychological thrillers and you don’t know this author, you are in for a treat. The Jonathan Stride series is way beyond good. These books are as good as Michael Connelly’s stories of Harry Bosch and they have the same feel (for me, personally) as the Alex Delaware series by Jonathan Kellerman.

This book tells two stories.
One takes place nine years before. When Stride’s first wife, Cindy, was still alive, one of her close friends, Dr. Janine Snow, were tried and convicted of h
Deborah
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2015
The best Stride novel so far. So many twists. I really couldn't put it down. Excellent
Evelyn
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Can't believe it- I just won a copy of this new book from Goodreads!

In the seventh book of the Jonathan Stride series, a young woman from Colorado with a suitcase is shot and killed outside a seedy Duluth bar and Lt. Jonathan Stride's live-in lover Sgt. Serena Dial chases the gunman , but he gets away.

Meanwhile we flash back to eight years earlier when Stride's wife Cindy was still alive and her best friend heart surgeon Dr. Janine Snow is on trial for murdering her husband. The reason these tw
Nila
Lots of twists and turns in this outstanding police mystery. To suit my tastes, I'd have left at least one twist out. When it comes to books that are toying with a happy resolution of a love affair for two bittersweet lovers, this book delivers almost no satisfaction and no answers.

I'll repeat this is a remarkably well-written book, complex and plotted well. It is not in any sense an emotionally satisfying one if you dislike moral dilemmas and like a bit of romance in your love affairs.
Maureen
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Slow reading, as we have a new puppy who takes up a lot of time! I did enjoy this book, the first one I've read by Brian Freeman. Looking forward to more of the Jonathan Stride series.
Annie
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A most excellent 5 star read! And he does it again, ahhhh. Now I'm waiting for the next Stride book
Pat
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. This was one of the best books in the series, riveting and suspenseful.

When Serena witnesses a murder outside a bar one night it sparks a whole string of consequences and opens the door on a past that not everyone wants to revisit. The story soon reverts to the past (eight years ago), to the time when Stride's wife, Cindy, was still alive. One of her good friends, Dr Janine Snow, a brilliant heart surgeon is convicted of murdering her husband. The murder weapon was never found. It was
Darcy
Jill Manske
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'd never read a Brian Freeman book before, but after reading "Goodbye to the Dead", I'm a fan. This is a craftily written book with a very complex plot with totally unexpected twists and turns. Just when you think you have it figured out, Freeman throws in another curve. It was suspenseful & surprising to the very last pages. Wish I'd discovered him sooner! ...more
Tim
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My second Brian Freeman is the first I truly enjoyed. Excellent story. 10 of 10 stars
G.J. Minett
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've followed the Jonathan Stride series since it began and was worried when Brian Freeman started the new Cab Bolton series, as I found Season of Fear vastly inferior. Any fears that he might be losing inspiration however were washed away with this latest offering as Stride confronts a few ghosts from the past and wrestles with his latest case, involving a local surgeon accused of murdering her husband. The pace in this novel is amazing and I found myself putting the planning for my own book to ...more
Danielle Gonzalez
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this author, I love this author, I love this author. He is so good! This book starts with Serena witnessing a man shoot a young woman outside of a bar. Then it goes back about 8 years to when Stride's wife, Cindy, was still alive. The husband of a close friend of hers is shot and killed, and the friend is the primary suspect. Stride has the difficult task of working the clues while his wife suffers to figure out if her friend is really a murderer or not. This is also the time that Cindy f ...more
John Bastin
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just met Jonathan Stride, a chance meeting as a result of picking up a book at the library when I had nothing to read. I'll definitely go back and look at some more of these stories. This one was top shelf.

A brilliant surgeon charged with the murder of her husband. Jonathan Stride dealing with the loss of his wife to cancer. A teenage girl who has a difficult time getting her life back on the right path. This story has all of that and more, as it twists and turns to a conclusion.

A gripping can
Darlene
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great Jonathon Stride book. I really enjoyed this book. I liked how it went back in time and we got to know Cindy, Strides first wife. At that time Cindy was good friends with a very accomplished heart surgeon, Janine. Janine goes on trial for killing her husband, Cindy thinks her friend is innocent and Stride is convinced she's guilty. There are a couple twists in here that I didn't see coming at all. Great build up in the suspense in this novel.
Kudos, Mr Freeman, for an excellent addit
Jeanne
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a well-thought out story line! First read by this author and thoroughly enjoyed it! What seems to be an insignificant tidbit near the beginning weaves a thread through a story that covers over 10 years! Being from Minnesota, I appreciated the fact that the narrator of the audio CD pronounced all the city names correctly (some don't!) but could have done without the "Fargo-esque" accent because Minnesotan's really don't talk like that (ya' know). This story had it all -- 7 out of 10.
Mike
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mike by: mikeandling@gmail.com
This is one of the best of the Jonathan Stride series with almost half the book taking place in the past when JS' wife Cindy was still alive. This does not in any way detract from the story (no jumping back and forth thankfully!) which is very well done. Of course, we have Serena and Maggie along to keep things tense in the Present part of the book and now Cat, the newest addition to the family. All in all, a well done addition to the series.
Johnnie Gee
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
A very good book, while I thought I had figured out the ending I did get a surprise. Surprises are almost always nice to get in a book. The characters are well developed and the story doesn't focus on one person, there are several in play. Timelines go from the past to the present and are neatly tied together in a very believable way.

If we could give half stars this would get 4 1/2.
Wesley
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars. The story takes place in two parts, the past and the present. Good plot, the suspense level is high and makes for a fun read. Some rather nasty characters and event that will keep you on your toes and guessing throughout. Finally a book that was good from the beginning all the way to the end.
Ken Heard
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brian Freeman keeps getting better and better with his Jonathan Stride series. In Goodbye, he offers a ton of plotlines that should keep any reader interested. He has a murder mystery, a trial, forensics, twists and turns in the process of solving the crime, characters that appear in earlier books, the ever-farting Max Guppo, drama and the continuing story of Cat, the girl Stride and Serena saved in an earlier book.

Some other writers seem to burn out after writing several novels with the same ch
Magpie67
Two cases, one is either a shut n case closed or its a cold case because the murder weapon has not surfaced nor has the jewelry that was stolen to make it look like a burglary ? Or was it? It's a case that had Johnny and Cindy on opposite sides. It was the last big case before Johnny would lose his wife. Flash forward a few years, a new case, a new murder... an old gun and a ring at a pawn shop.

Can Johnny's world move forward with Serena and his partner Maggie? Can a middle ground be found and
Mike Kennedy
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brian-freeman
I listened to the audio version of this book. This book is split between a flashback (roughly first third of the book) and the present. A doctor, and friend of Stride’s dead wife, is accused of killing her husband. Stride aims to put her in jail. Fast forward to present and a woman is murdered outside a bar. Serena Dial is witness to it. This book has the typical twists and surprise turns including an excellent one near the end.
Tgordon
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Still love theses books but getting bored. I need a bigger fun
Roger Scherping
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another solid Jonathan Stride novel with solid characters and lots of unexpected plot twists. I couldn't put it down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Devil May Care (Mac McKenzie, #11)
  • Dead Boyfriends (Mac McKenzie, #4)
  • Silence of the Whippoorwill
  • A Cold Trail (Tracy Crosswhite, #7)
  • What the Dead Leave Behind (Mac McKenzie, #14)
  • Masked Prey (Lucas Davenport, #30)
  • Dead Man's Mistress (Mac McKenzie, #16)
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • Mania (Jon Stanton Mysteries Book 9)
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • Cold Highway (Ellie Kline Series Book 4)
  • Sin City Homicide
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3)
  • Water's Edge
  • Purgatory (Jon Stanton Mysteries Book 11)
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Arsonist
Brian Freeman is a New York Times bestselling author of psychological thrillers, including the Jonathan Stride and Frost Easton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 22 languages. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled plots. Brian has also been selected as the official author to continue Robert Ludlum's Jason Bo ...more

Jonathan Stride (10 books)
  • Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1)
  • Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2)
  • Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3)
  • In the Dark (Jonathan Stride #4)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Cold Nowhere (Jonathan Stride #6)
  • Marathon (Jonathan Stride #8)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • Funeral for a Friend (Jonathan Stride #10)