Start by marking “Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)

Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens

(Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel)

The worlds of Star Wars are full of countless alien species, each stranger and more fascinating than the last. Here you'll find six stories for kids about just some of the amazing aliens who appear in the smash-hit movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Featuring a dashing tale of piracy and double crosses, the story of a wise Jakku constable and an unfortunate droid, and a m ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Disney Lucasfilm Press (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1

Josh
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, light look at some of the lesser known characters in the Star Wars Universe.

Released around the same time as The Force Awakens, the short stories focus on aliens who appear in the movie, mostly in non-speaking roles in Maz's castle.

The collection is aimed at younger readers but its perfect for any age if you're into Star Wars.

The highlights, for me: High Noon on Jakku, and The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku

My rating: 4/5 stars. If you're looking for a fun, quick,
Shadowdenizen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Light, fluffy Star Wars fun, in the vein of, Tales from Jabbas Palace" or "Tales of the Bounty Hunters."

Nothing to expand/enhance canon greatly, but these quick reads give us some insight into some minor characters from Force Awakens, and are quick, fun reads.
Paul Decker
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Four of the novellas featured in this book were released in digital form prior to The Force Awakens coming out. I read all those novellas then and absolutely loved them. It added to my viewings of The Force Awakens to know stories about a few of the background characters. I've always loved the Star Wars background characters. I have the action figures to prove it!

Below are my reviews of each of the stories in this collection. The two new stories are listed first, A Recipe for Death and True Love
Neil R. Coulter
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Star Wars fan, any age
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
Having read almost everything in the new Star Wars canon, I'm coming to a conclusion: I enjoy Star Wars most as a story for kids. Maybe it's because I grew up with Star Wars myself, and it formed the biggest part of my imagination when I was a kid. But I know that of all the books I've read in the past year, I've really enjoyed the ones aimed at a primary school/middle school level, and I've really disliked many of those written for adults. Before the Awakening was great; Aftermath was terrible. ...more
Mario
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories that echoes past compilations like "Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina" or "Tales of Jabba's Palace" among others, except that all stories in this book are by author Landry Walker.
We got stories from some of the colorful aliens that populate Jakku and Takodana, the most interesting places we were shown in The Force Awakens (save for Hosnian Prime which doesn't have a happy ending).
The tales range from detective work, mystery solving, heists, etc. and do create a sense
Jessica (Books: A true story)
I read a bunch of these short stories in 2016, a year after The Force Awakens had come out.  I loved them all and I was excited to find that they were now in a book instead of digital only ebooks.  There are even two bonus stories in Tales From A Galaxy Far, Far Away that I hadn't read yet!  The bonus stories - A Recipe for Death and True Love - are exclusive to this collection.  The four other stories can be purchased as separate ebooks (and are free on kindle prime and unlimited).  Since this ...more
Mayumi
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorei esse livro! Cada um dos contos tem seu ritmo, seu clima, seu tema... foi uma ótima coleção! O que eles têm em comum é os capítulos curtos, o que eu vi como vantagem pra um livro de criança - que é o caso desse livro, não esqueçamos resenhistas raivosos!

High noon on Jakku
Num clima de velho oeste, acompanhamos Constable Zuvio numa investigação de um crime. Gostei muito da narrativa não linear e os capítulos curtos dão uma maior urgência à história. E como não deveria deixar de ser, (view sp
DiscoSpacePanther
I was never a fan of the old Kevin J. Anderson Legends novels, but some of the short story collections he edited, such as Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's Palace gave some of the most interesting (and often peculiar) backstories to background characters from the original Star Wars Trilogy.

Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens is a junior novel that fulfils the same function for the first film in the Sequel Trilogy. It consists of
Amaia Rodríguez
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Aliens una excelente colección de “mini cuentos” llenos de aventura, misterios, algo de locura así como un poco de terror disfrazado. Son historias de criaturas que se encuentran en Takodana, Jakku y sus alrededores; que se introdujeron en el Despertar de la Fuerza, básicamente este libro logra ampliar o agregar más datos al episodio VII lo cual es un pequeño complemento o expansión.

Las seis historias que abordan son sumamente creativas, algunas son demasiado predecibles en cuanto a su desenlace
Death Trooper #9
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like the expanded Star Wars universe, then this book is for you! With some new aliens from the force awakens, this book is packed full of the misadventures of a junkyard constable, a smarter than you think junk dealer, and more, this book will have you hooked on the adventures of everyday aliens. The stories are not to deep as other novels but that' just because that the book is made up of many different stories and is also part of series! This being Volume. 1! I think that this book is a ...more
Alan
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating 4

Considering that the target audience for this collection of novellas/short stories is YA readers, this title was very entertaining for me (I am way outside the YA age range).
It reminded me of the old collections titled ‘Tales from .....’ that were published years ago.
Obviously with this being released to tie in with TFA the stories are all connected in some way to jakku.
The new characters such as the constable and crimson Corsair would potentially make interesting characters in any live
Glenn
Standard short story fare, some of these are better than others, but none are bad. I enjoyed getting to know some background characters from The Force Awakens a little better. I especially liked the high fantasy-like pirate tale of The Crimson Corsair (Capt Sidon Ithano, the red-helmeted fellow Finn almost threw in with from Maz's castle), the implications of which could actually have an impact in the new trilogy era. They could turn that story into a real nice animated feature. MTFBWY...
Nancy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of stories that flesh out several of the denizens of Jakku and Maz Kanata's castle. My favorite hands-down was "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku" which was a swashbuckling adventure yarn. Lots of fun. "High Noon on Jakku" was also good, but none of the rest really did anything for me. The stories range from murder mystery to horror to adventure to the ridiculous so there's something for everyone.
Gini
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Chris
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun and light series of stories introducing some of the new alien characters from The Force Awakens. Given the stories are for younger readers they aren't very serious but they are really fun to read.
Brice Van Hook
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny and cute stories from the star Wars universe that expanded the universe without Jedi or Wars. Great quick read if you want to learn about how murders in the kitchen are handled at Maz's castle or want to know what the treasure of count dooku holds.
Selah Hamilton
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Kathryn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 6 year old really enjoyed this book. Nice, short chapters for bedtime reading.
Brandon Barnes
A nice collection of stories from characters in TFA.
Colin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly entertaining series of short stories that just might have you looking at certain supporting characters in SW:TFA ever so slightly differently.
Jack Greyson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not very interesting at all. At best we get some background on some species and planets.
Gerardo Rodríguez
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
MEH...
Jaime K
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a strange book, not for the characters involved (though that too) but for the number of unfamiliar species (both sentient and not) represented. For being a book in the NEU, it does a great job of introducing such beings.
My overall rating would be a solid 0.75. Definitely a 4-star book!

High Noon on Jakku: Constable Zuvio of Jakku is a Kyuzo. What threw me off is that he likes to use paper; even though he admits it's ancient, for me that is too strange for the 'verse outside of a beyond-an
Loki
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun little collection of short stories set in the Star Wars universe, mostly taking place around the planets seen in The Force Awakens. Only one of them features a character we've even met before (Unkar, the merchant who Rey barters with), but it doesn't matter. The stories are all light, fast and enjoyable, while being sufficiently different from one another not to be repetitive. The cream of the crop is an unusual retelling of certain events involving the first Death Star, but they're all fun.
Octavi
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Se lleva tres estrellas porque la edición es cojonuda. Por nada más. Muy buenas ilustraciones y maquetación, pero los relatos son vulgares hasta decir basta. Y muchos de ellos además estúpidos.
Caleb "PlagueWind"
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The book is targeted at children and I wasn't sure how that would be for my taste. After finishing the book I will say that I enjoyed the stories. I do wish they were fleshed out more but they were enjoyable stories. There are 6 short stories in this (most were published as Ebooks) that expand the backstory on some of the aliens that you see in Episode 7. The stories were split between taking place on Jakku and Maz Kanata's castle.

High Noon on Jakku - The
Ricky Ganci
Star Wars: Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens is different from just about anything else the Lucasfilm Story Group has released, and it that, perhaps, lies its greatest strength. This collection of 5 short stories is not only a strong addition to the canon's stories of the scum and villainy side of the Star Wars universe, but also a great expansion to the rich addition of characters, places, and culture of The Force Awakens era of the saga.

There are five stories here, and each of
Garth Hamilton
I'll post my recent blog review of the fantastic "Catalyst (A Rogue One novel)" soon! This review originally appeared on "Garth's Blog": http://garthhamilton.blogspot.com/201...

This one gets an enthusiastic “meh” from me. While officially canon, it's six short stories featuring side characters from the film Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. If you like aliens as main characters (I do not), this is your bag.

The main hurdle that these short stories try to overcome is that few of the protag
Julie
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not *too* much of a short-story reader, but this collection was a lot of fun. I liked the concept - take background characters from The Force Awakens and give each of them their own story. I'd already read A Perfect Weapon, which is a novella about someone in Maz Kanata's castle, and this was very much along those lines.

Some stories were stronger than others. Some were perfectly good stories, but their plotline could have been set in ANY background and really had nothing to do with Star Wars
J.N. Tomczak
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
I finished this book in a day, guys! And I loved every minute of it.

This book is comprised of six short stories told from the POV of different characters. All of them with their own distinct personalities. Like the synopsis says, each story brings its own theme into play, so there are plenty of emotions and surprises left up to the reader to experience. If you're a lover of all things Star Wars, then I highly and personally recommend adding this to your collection. Landry Q. Walker did an amazi
  • The Steal (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #3)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • The Nest (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #2)
  • The Perfect Weapon
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
  • Canto Bight (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Lando - Double or Nothing
  • The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of the Empire
  • The Gleaning (The Spellspinners of Melas County, #2)
  • Last Shot: A Han and Lando Novel (Star Wars)
  • The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
Landry Q. Walker is a New York Times bestselling author of comics and books. His work includes Star Wars stories, Batman and Supergirl comics, and the Project Terra series of novels. He also co-created a Saturday morning cartoon called Scary Larry. He likes castles and robots and also pop-tarts. Most days he hangs out with his wife and his cats and pushes buttons on a keyboard until stories someho ...more

Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Rebel in the Ranks (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #2)
  • Imperial Justice (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #3)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)
  • The Snare (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #1)