Start by marking “Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)” as Want to Read:
Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)

Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens

(Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel)

The worlds of Star Wars are full of countless alien species, each stranger and more fascinating than the last. Here you'll find six stories for kids about just some of the amazing aliens who appear in the smash-hit movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Featuring a dashing tale of piracy and double crosses, the story of a wise Jakku constable and an unfortunate droid, and a m ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Disney Lucasfilm Press (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1

Start your review of Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)
Josh
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun, light look at some of the lesser known characters in the Star Wars Universe.

Released around the same time as The Force Awakens, the short stories focus on aliens who appear in the movie, mostly in non-speaking roles in Maz's castle.

The collection is aimed at younger readers but its perfect for any age if you're into Star Wars.

The highlights, for me: High Noon on Jakku, and The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku

My rating: 4/5 stars. If you're looking for a fun, quick,
Shadowdenizen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
3.5 stars.

Light, fluffy Star Wars fun, in the vein of, Tales from Jabbas Palace" or "Tales of the Bounty Hunters."

Nothing to expand/enhance canon greatly, but these quick reads give us some insight into some minor characters from Force Awakens, and are quick, fun reads.
Nicis
It would be amazing if all the interesting bits distribuited across the books eventually build up to something we could see on the movie (The clone trooper and droids here, Lando's gift pistol in Aftermath, the Leia scape on Bloodline, etc.)
Connor Daley
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
So this is technically a collection of YOUNG READER level short stories. However, considering this book cost me $8 (for the hardcover too!) and is compiling 6 of the 27 Disney canon short stories I decided to give it a go. They’re all short, fun, quick reads.

High Noon On Jakku: 3*

This story was a cool western like police story with a samurai looking constable and his two cousins as his (apparent) only deputies. The desert of Jakku, a robbery, the deserted town involved, and the mental calculati
Paul Decker
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Four of the novellas featured in this book were released in digital form prior to The Force Awakens coming out. I read all those novellas then and absolutely loved them. It added to my viewings of The Force Awakens to know stories about a few of the background characters. I've always loved the Star Wars background characters. I have the action figures to prove it!

Below are my reviews of each of the stories in this collection. The two new stories are listed first, A Recipe for Death and True Love
Neil R. Coulter
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any Star Wars fan, any age
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
Having read almost everything in the new Star Wars canon, I'm coming to a conclusion: I enjoy Star Wars most as a story for kids. Maybe it's because I grew up with Star Wars myself, and it formed the biggest part of my imagination when I was a kid. But I know that of all the books I've read in the past year, I've really enjoyed the ones aimed at a primary school/middle school level, and I've really disliked many of those written for adults. Before the Awakening was great; Aftermath was terrible. ...more
Mario
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories that echoes past compilations like "Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina" or "Tales of Jabba's Palace" among others, except that all stories in this book are by author Landry Walker.
We got stories from some of the colorful aliens that populate Jakku and Takodana, the most interesting places we were shown in The Force Awakens (save for Hosnian Prime which doesn't have a happy ending).
The tales range from detective work, mystery solving, heists, etc. and do create a sense
James McIntosh Jr.
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is like a short story anthology, but with multiple genres rather than just one or two. It was pretty cool to have something different to read in each story, and I really liked seeing how the author remixed the elements of the various genres to make them fit into the Star Wars universe.

Each story is its own thing, although a couple make references to characters and locations in others. Each story also has chapter breaks which are very short (often only a couple little pages or so), but
Jessica (Books: A true story)
I read a bunch of these short stories in 2016, a year after The Force Awakens had come out.  I loved them all and I was excited to find that they were now in a book instead of digital only ebooks.  There are even two bonus stories in Tales From A Galaxy Far, Far Away that I hadn't read yet!  The bonus stories - A Recipe for Death and True Love - are exclusive to this collection.  The four other stories can be purchased as separate ebooks (and are free on kindle prime and unlimited).  Since this ...more
The writing was definitely nothing spectacular here but the stories were very clever, to the point of absurd at times. It was an exceptionally fast and very fun read though and I enjoyed the little bits of background on these mostly silent characters from the movies.
Jamon Alexander
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
DiscoSpacePanther
I was never a fan of the old Kevin J. Anderson Legends novels, but some of the short story collections he edited, such as Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's Palace gave some of the most interesting (and often peculiar) backstories to background characters from the original Star Wars Trilogy.

Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens is a junior novel that fulfils the same function for the first film in the Sequel Trilogy. It consists of
Death Trooper #9
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you like the expanded Star Wars universe, then this book is for you! With some new aliens from the force awakens, this book is packed full of the misadventures of a junkyard constable, a smarter than you think junk dealer, and more, this book will have you hooked on the adventures of everyday aliens. The stories are not to deep as other novels but that' just because that the book is made up of many different stories and is also part of series! This being Volume. 1! I think that this book is a ...more
Chris
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Over all, it was...okay. The first and the last story were enjoyable (though, perhaps, not all that original). The rest of the stories were just a bit too second rate Twilight Zone - in fact, I'm quite sure that the "twist" in at least one of them really was used in an episode of the Twilight Zone (or Outer Limits or some such).

Still, if you liked the old Star Wars Tales (From Jabba's Palace, of the Bounty Hunters), you might like this. Or at least might find the first and last stories worth a r
Alan
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rating 4

Considering that the target audience for this collection of novellas/short stories is YA readers, this title was very entertaining for me (I am way outside the YA age range).
It reminded me of the old collections titled ‘Tales from .....’ that were published years ago.
Obviously with this being released to tie in with TFA the stories are all connected in some way to jakku.
The new characters such as the constable and crimson Corsair would potentially make interesting characters in any live
Meg
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short, enjoyable, and doesn't overstay its welcome Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away was a solid read. I enjoyed it a lot, more so then I did the Canto Bight book, though Canto Bight has its own strengths and weaknesses. The short stories in this where overall more enjoyable to me, and the different settings were a nice change of pace even if 3 of them were on desert planents.

My only strong complaint for the book is that it gave me a new favorate character to watch out for, Sidon Ithano, who I
Gini
Jan 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
Glenn
Standard short story fare, some of these are better than others, but none are bad. I enjoyed getting to know some background characters from The Force Awakens a little better. I especially liked the high fantasy-like pirate tale of The Crimson Corsair (Capt Sidon Ithano, the red-helmeted fellow Finn almost threw in with from Maz's castle), the implications of which could actually have an impact in the new trilogy era. They could turn that story into a real nice animated feature. MTFBWY...
Nancy
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection of stories that flesh out several of the denizens of Jakku and Maz Kanata's castle. My favorite hands-down was "The Crimson Corsair and the Lost Treasure of Count Dooku" which was a swashbuckling adventure yarn. Lots of fun. "High Noon on Jakku" was also good, but none of the rest really did anything for me. The stories range from murder mystery to horror to adventure to the ridiculous so there's something for everyone.
Rachel
A collection of stories amongst the aliens briefly mentioned during "The Force Awakens" and I pretty much loved all of them except the weird one about facial reconstructions as it just came off as creepy and anti-climatic. My favorite one was "All Creatures Great and Small" about the behind the scenes of the Death Star. I'm not sure I would recommend this book for children though as some of the descriptions were a bit graphic. Recommended for ages 12+, 4 stars.
Remah Jane
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my 1.5 year old son while he sprinted from shiny object to shiny object and climbed in me periodically interrupting my reading with his fussy pleadings or slobbery kisses.

It was engaging and interesting. Easy to read and creative. I am not an expert in Star Wars, but it is my understanding that some of the stories aligned with the main story lines.
Brice Van Hook
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny and cute stories from the star Wars universe that expanded the universe without Jedi or Wars. Great quick read if you want to learn about how murders in the kitchen are handled at Maz's castle or want to know what the treasure of count dooku holds.
Chris
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun and light series of stories introducing some of the new alien characters from The Force Awakens. Given the stories are for younger readers they aren't very serious but they are really fun to read.
Caleb Adams
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caleb-s-library
It started off slow, but the last two sections were particularly good. They tied in well with the overarching story line of star wars. I got my copy for cheap at a thrift store so it was worth the purchase. It’s a quick and simple read.
Colin
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly entertaining series of short stories that just might have you looking at certain supporting characters in SW:TFA ever so slightly differently.
Kathryn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
My 6 year old really enjoyed this book. Nice, short chapters for bedtime reading.
Selah Hamilton
Oct 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Brandon Barnes
A nice collection of stories from characters in TFA.
Jack Greyson
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not very interesting at all. At best we get some background on some species and planets.
Lennart Øster
Feb 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Some of the worst i have ever read. The hells kitchen one is spectacular dumb. Only the crimson corsair one at the end was worth the time.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: the Last Jedi - The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Guardians of the Whills (Star Wars)
  • Cobalt Squadron (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars Myths & Fables
  • A Crash of Fate (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #1)
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)
  • Rebel Rising (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Han Solo - Imperial Cadet
  • Canto Bight (Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, #1)
  • The Perfect Weapon
Landry Q. Walker is a New York Times bestselling author of comics and books. His work includes Star Wars stories, Batman and Supergirl comics, and the Project Terra series of novels. He also co-created a Saturday morning cartoon called Scary Larry. He likes castles and robots and also pop-tarts. Most days he hangs out with his wife and his cats and pushes buttons on a keyboard until stories someho ...more

Star Wars Disney Canon Junior Novel (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • A Test of Courage (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Edge of the Galaxy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #1)
  • Rebel in the Ranks (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #2)
  • Imperial Justice (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #3)
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • The Secret Academy (Star Wars Rebels: Servants of the Empire, #4)
  • Before the Awakening (Star Wars)