Start by marking “Dear Emma” as Want to Read:
Dear Emma

Dear Emma

Harriet, the author of her college newspaper's pseudonymous student advice column "Dear Emma," is great at telling others what to do, dispensing wisdom for the lovelorn and lonely on her Midwestern campus. Somehow, though, she can't take her own advice, especially after Keith, the guy she's dating, blows her off completely. When Harriet discovers that Keith has started see ...more
Published March 1st 2016 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dear Emma, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Emma

Meagan
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
So this was cute and all (thanks Netgalley!), but um, is reading about someone's not particularly special/super exciting college experience always so freaking dull? Yawns for days.

If so I apologize to everyone who read my Livejournal.
Taylor Bennett
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-and-read
I have so many feelings about this book. None of them positive. I only gave it two stars because I feel like one star reviews are reserved for books I couldn't even finish. I can't believe I read an entire book about a woman who whines and sulks for a whole school semester about a boy she dated for two weeks. PLEASE just stop. I can't.
Joy (joyous reads)
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have you ever been surrounded by exuberant teenagers talking all at once? When you’re trying to hold on to your sanity and rather, futilely keep track of the conversation at the same time? That’s how I felt while I was reading this book. Don’t get me wrong this was funny and entertaining. But at times, I wanted to tell everyone to shut the hell up (the characters, I mean) so I can figure out what the hell was going on. There’s an almost manic quality to the writing that reminds of Lorelai and Ro ...more
Christina
Dec 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok... so the book has/had potential, but it fell a little flat for me. The whole concept wasn't bad (it's why I picked the book up to begin with), but there wasn't enough there. I didn't find the main character to be very likeable (I would've preferred to read a story about her friend Logan instead), and the problem she was having throughout the book was just stupid (and so similar to problems that I have gone on about before, that it's probably why I didn't like her... because she is me... yuck ...more
amelia
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought the writing was great and the story so, so dull. But maybe thinking that over-analyzing text messages is insufferable and boring just means I'm old!
Sophia
Mar 03, 2016 marked it as dnf-set-aside-for-later  ·  review of another edition
DNF at Chapter 4

I picked this one up because the cover, the title, and the blurb- especially the blurb- caught my attention. I loved the idea of a college student advice columnist who is fab at giving advice, but then struggles with her own life and this is particularly when the boy she is crushing on isn't interested and finds a new girl who actually writes to Harriet's advice column, Dear Emma. See? Fun plot, right?

I started out chuckling and enjoying this peek into a college girl's life. Harr
BookCupid
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, own, favorites
''I wanted to come up with the perfect text, and the perfect time to send it, and to know what the exact right move was to keep him from just ... ignoring me.''

Girls night often (if not always) brushes the topic of relationships. Why didn't he text me back?, He seems weird lately, and yeah, odd sex moves (like last time this dude put his hand on my throat while... sorry TMI). This book dissects all of that.

Heaney inspired herself from Jane Austen's Emma, and delivered us a modern female college
Chiara
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny, thoughtful, and made me terribly nostalgic for college!!
Gretchen Alice
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know whether to give this all the stars or none of the stars for making me feel *exactly* like I was in college again. This Austen-inspired story about a college advice columnist was a delight from start to finish.
Mary
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I was a bit frustrated by how well Harriet wrote her advice column, but she could not apply that same advice to her own life. The book was a little too boy-crazy-centric to me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the intended audience. Heaney writes very well!
Zoriana Z
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

The blurb gave this book so much promise, and that's why I picked it up. Here's what I expected to happen: Harriet writes an advice column. The horrible B who stole her two-week BF writes to her for advice. She actually plans revenge and advises Remy to carry out some crazy/hilarious tasks in a way to get him back, while instead making them both look like fools. Then she feels bad about it and befriends the B. (Please, someone
Kelly Hager
Oh, I love this book. When I read the description, I thought that it would be a sweet, fun read and that it would be something I could just breeze through and enjoy, then move on to the next.

It was sweet and fun, yes, but can I just say how much I identify with Harriet?

Harriet is one of those people who overthinks EVERYTHING. If you are one of her friends, you can expect to be asked to help interpret texts and emails, and what exactly an emoticon signifies. Is there a hidden meaning there?

And i
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Awww, I really didn't want this to end. I really love the focus on female friendships in Heaney's books -- that is so hard to find and feels so genuine and sweet here. And it's cute and funny and very relatable (it both made me miss and be so glad I'm far away from college).
Emily
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Took me right back to college :)
SerialReader
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice and easy-reading book that will probably make you miss your college years.
Light and funny.

Read more on The Serial Reader Blog

*This book was kindly sent to me via NetGalley by Grand Central Publishing*
Xandra Nelsen
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This was a funny, quirky day-read that was simple but cute. The only reason this is 2.5 stars, for me, instead of 3 is because all of the plot (and sub-plots) seemed to revolve around males, which just isn't my cup of tea when reading female friendships. Also, the main character was just off for me. I disagreed with her generalized and stereotypical opinions of "boys" and "girls." Still, though, this was an enjoyable quick read.
Vicky Marie
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have to agree with a lot of reviewers in that this novel was incredibly dull, but for me it was mostly annoying. Harriett was an unlikable person. Home girl would over analyze EVERYTHING. I admit to being guilty of overthinking texts/emails/messages sometimes, but not to the extreme as Harriett who spends days trying to decipher the "true meaning" of a simple text. The constant whining and know-it-all attitude did nothing to soften me up. Also her delusional idea of always being right. And the ...more
Katelyn
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-2016
Harriet is a college student with an all too common conundrum: the guy who she has just started seeing is suddenly ignoring her. Keith hasn't responded to a text in days.

I flew through this fun to read story about college life in the days of texting and social media. Emma is intelligent and an endearingly average college student (not super pretty, not super popular). She works in the library and also writes an advice column for the newspaper ("Dear Emma"). She has 2 best friends that she lives
Lissa
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-books
3.5 stars. Harriet writes an advice column, Dear Emma, for her college newspaper. She is a junior English major who begins to worry that she doesn't have enough experience to actually answer the questions that she receives until a boy from her class breaks her heart and causes a bitter edge to Emma's advice. I actually found the relationship drama to be a fairly accurate portrayal of college life (though admittedly its been a while). There are also some really funny moments of dialogue that I re ...more
Staci Laird
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Have you ever had a friend go on and on telling you about their day or about an old relationship, while in your head you keep wanting to say "and you're telling me this because...?" Well, that's this book in a nutshell. The entire plot is a year in the life of a college junior who dates a guy for a couple weeks and then he stops responding to her texts. She then begins obsessing over his social media accounts and whining on and on to her friends. The author wrote a one-dimensional character who ...more
Trisha
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book is cute - a fun, light beach read. Entertaining, cute and modern. I'm surprised at how many times I was shocked when talking about using social media... honestly, I don't think I've ever read about Facebook/Instagram/Twitter in a novel before.

I think younger readers and YA readers will enjoy this, as well as those of us who are young at heart and remembering our college days, college boyfriends, and college drama.

Very cute and enjoyable.

**I read this title via NetGalley.
Megan
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Despite how little actually happens in this book every time I sat down to read it I'd be sucked in. "Just one chapter" led to four chapters later and I can hardly hold my eyes open. It wasn't a wild and fun plot that carried me away, it was the characters. Vivid, real, vulnerable and most importantly: growing.

Catie Disabato
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved obsessive, ferocious, and passionate Harriet. This book is probably the first I've read that accurately and, simultaneously, dramatically captures the actual patterns of real humans in emotional crisis. A pleasure.
Kerry
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I don't know if I've ever read a book that so accurately captured the Midwest college experience. Also, it was very funny!!
Margaret
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Harriet is Emma, the advice columnist for the college newspaper. She has no background for giving advice, but she is still pretty good at doing just that. Thinking about transferring college? Emma has an answer. Can’t find a group of friends that make you feel included? Emma has a solution. Your boyfriend is taking his ex to the dance because he promised to long before they broke up? Emma’s on it. Only Emma’s two roommates know her secret and they have been ok with it until…

Harriet’s boyfriend j
Becka
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Nostalgia. When I was reading “Dear Emma,” I kept thinking about my own college memories, where the setting blurred between the book’s description and my own college that I went too. Although my college experience was slightly different than Harriet (I drink a lot less than her), the heart of the experience reminds the same.
For me, this book is a guilty pleasure. The plot can be slow at times. For instance, it’s takes two-thirds of the book, for Remy to ask advice about Keith. Although very r
Kellie Alley
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I want to give this a 3.5. It made me think so much about my college days. Very relatable! There were so many fun and funny parts that made me want to keep reading. I felt like Harriet though, kind of annoyed me at times and wish she would just stop. But all in all, it was a fun read.
Catherine Gentile
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I shouldn’t have expected as much as I did. It felt very “teen fiction”. The story was alright; I’m not really sure what the main event was. If I could turn back time, I would save this for reading poolside in Mexico.
Nicole Mcgovern
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Read this for book club. I think it was well written just tedious, sooo so tedious. A few high notes, Harriet's best friends- they were great! The dear Emma letters-I wanted to just read them!
Lia   Covington
Lia's Bookish Obsession http://liasbookishobsession.com http://liasbookishobsession.com/dear-...

“I lay it down as a general rule, Harriet, that if a woman doubts as to whether she should accept a man or not, she certainly ought to refuse him.”
-Jane Austen

I was recently honored the opportunity by Grand Central Publishing to read Dear Emma by Katie Heaney, before its publication date of  March 1st 2016. This novel is a new adult, contemporary college theme novel about a college student double life
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Crazy About Love (All About Love, #3)
  • Saving Mr. Perfect (Penelope Blue, #2)
  • No Turning Back (Hanover Brothers, #1)
  • Tequila Sunrise (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #4)
  • Chance of Rain
  • Call Me, Maybe
  • One Kiss More (U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)
  • Long Shot (Highland Games, #1)
  • Falling for Danger (Capital Confessions, #3)
  • Change My Mind (Kemmons Brothers Baseball, #2)
  • Freedom Ride
  • A Copper Ridge Christmas (Copper Ridge, #3.4)
  • Tessa Ever After (Reluctant Hearts, #2)
  • Getting Lucky (The Portland Pioneers #2)
  • His Royal Favorite (His Royal Secret, #2)
  • Shooting Stars: My Unexpected Life Photographing Hollywood's Most Famous
  • Live (Burnside, #1)
Katie Heaney is the author of Public Relations, Dear Emma, and Never Have I Ever, as well as the forthcoming memoir Would You Rather? (Penguin Random House, February 2018). Her writing has also appeared in New York magazine online, Cosmopolitan, The Atlantic, Racked, and The Hairpin, among other places. She lives in Brooklyn.
“A friend of mine once told me a month is about how long it takes to begin seeing another person as another person instead of a character making a cameo appearance in your life” 1 likes