Start by marking “Jane Austen: An Illustrated Biography” as Want to Read:
Jane Austen: An Illustrated Biography

Jane Austen: An Illustrated Biography

Discover the stories behind the stories in this treasurable illustrated biography of Jane Austen. Enchanting illustrations and handwritten text featuring excerpts from Austen's personal letters outline the intimate details of the literary icon's life--her childhood on a farm, the writing of her first novella, her marital woes, the inspiration behind Sense and Sensibility a ...more
Hardcover, Library of Luminaries, 128 pages
Published March 15th 2016 by Chronicle Books (first published April 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Austen

Fatma
what a beautiful little book 🌼
Léa
Un petit bijou pour les yeux. Les illustrations sont sublimes ❤ ...more
Cata
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Which of all my important nothings shall I tell you first?" Como esperado, Jane Austen de Zena Alkayat revelou-se uma leitura muito, muito leve.

Foi também uma leitura agradável, apesar de não ter trazido nenhum facto novo que me fizesse ficar estupidamente entusiasmada.

Não recomendo a quem procura biografias mais complexas e desenvolvidas, porque vai saber-vos a pouco.

Contudo, recomendo a
a) coleccionadores de livros relacionados com a Jane Austen;
b) estreantes em biografias;
c) pessoal que gost
Alice
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comme vous commencez maintenant à le savoir, les projets autour de Jane Austen se multiplient de plus en plus face à sa popularité grandissante et bien heureusement, il nous arrive encore de tomber sur de jolies pépites dans le lot.

Aujourd'hui je voulais vous parler de ce petit livre retraçant une biographie de l'auteur, certes succincte mais contenant l'essentiel et surtout, magnifiquement illustrée. J'aurais peut-être un tout petit bémol en ce qui concerne le texte qui comporte une ou deux a
Lucy
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is genuinely a Gorgeous book, I really enjoyed all the quotes, and the illustrations are gorgeous and consistent. Even the quality of the book itself is really high. I haven't even read any of Austen's books,, just admired from Afar but even for me this was such a lovely, quick read.
Selah Pike
My Bookstagram friend @bibliophilebakes brought this book to my attention. In looking for a cheap copy, I found that iBooks was selling it for $1.99! It's a sweet, child friendly biography of Jane Austen, with lovely watercolor illustrations.

I later found a hard copy at Book Outlet!!
Kate
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you know what gift Jane received from her father for her 19th birthday? OR which of her siblings was a talented poet? Jane Austen by Zena Alkayat and Nina Cosford is a fun and gorgeous book which answers everything you ever wanted to know about the Pride and Prejudice author.

Whether you are a Jane Austen aficionado or just someone who wants to know a little more about the famous author, this book is for you. Beautifully illustrated and full of interesting facts, this book tells the story of w
Melissa
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this pretty little series a lot. They're basically picture books for adults. I've read Coco, Virginia and Jane and am waiting for Frieda on my library holds lists. I read each at a sitting, learned a few new things even though they're extremely light. They seem like nice little gift books but would disappoint anyone looking for an in-depth biography.
Nadja
What charming little book with some interesting facts about Jane Austen's life! (The Austens loved to put on plays?! <3) I loved the lovely watercolour illustrations. I only wished it would be longer and more detailed.
Clairem
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un petit livre factuel mais très intéressant sur la vie de Jane Austen. Les illustrations sont à tomber.
Katrina
This book brings out far too much nostalgia for me to be able to write an objective review. It makes me miss the semester I spent in England something fierce, and calls all the memories rushing back: wandering the streets of Bath with friends; letting the salt-thick wind whip my hair in Lyme Regis; running back to the Jane Austen House Museum, rain streaming off my oversized coat as I hurried to buy a postcard of her writing desk and dashed back to the coach, packed full of my waiting professors ...more
Cataluna6
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is a beautifully illustrated biography, the perfect gift for a lover of Austen. I wouldn't say it reveals anything new and there is a list of works consulted if you'd like to read more in depth as there was only a few sentences on each page. I sat with a cup of tea and enjoyed reading little tidbits and looking through the illustrations.
Lauren
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, favorites
When you realize your life is turning out like Jane's and you're more than okay with that: "All around her, people were getting married. And the subject of money was never far away." Gorgeous illustrations and script throughout. Thumbs up!
Gretchen
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
"So Jane was used to being around male company - and lots and lots of books."
Helen Geng
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
**** for the charming, witty illustrations
On one page, it says, "Mr. Austen was so pleased with his daughter's manuscripts that he sent 'Pride & Prejudice' to London publisher Thomas Cadell in 1797. He very swiftly received an answer."
On the next page is a pair of hands holding a parcel?a paper? saying, Declined by return of post.
*** for the text
"When she [Austen] woke the next day, she sought out Harris [Bigg-Withers really, but the author calls him Bigg] and politely explained she wasn't w
Marie Soleil Cool-Cotte (Soquibouquine)
Viens tout juste de plonger dans les destins fascinants (et houleux, il faut bien l'admettre...) de femmes qui ont osé laisser résonner leur voix à leur manière, sans se laisser intimider par le carcan social de leur époque.
Cette sublime collection de biographies illustrées («Library of luminaries» chez Chronicle Books, et son équivalent en version française, «Portrait», aux éditions Cardinal) permet de découvrir des artistes singulières, tout en simplicité et en justesse, en se laissant porter
María Eugenia
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Es un libro muy bonito. Es pequeño, cuadrado y las ilustraciones son bonitas y relevantes. Pero a pesar de ser pequeño tiene mucha información, con fechas y lugares, árboles genealógicos y datos curiosos. No creo que sea un libro para niños, sino para adultos a los que les gusten los libros ilustrados y bien editados. Se lo recomiendo especialmente al resto de austenitas. ;)
BreAnna (Bre'sBooks)
very pretty illustrations
Susan
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a cute, short read, which should appeal to people who need an introduction to Jane Austen's life. I'd say get it from a library unless you collect picture books. The illustrations are charming.
Kayla (kaylainbookworld)
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books, 5-stars
The illustrations in this short book are immensely stunning. A lovely insight to the life of a phenomenal author- Jane Austen.
Joellen
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Darling book with amazing illustrations. I adore Jane so much!
Rebecca
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely series
Shelley Whitaker
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
"Which of all my important nothings shall I tell you first?"

"All around her, people were getting married, and the subject of money was never far away"

Jamie
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Very informative and well presented with lovely illustrations.
Jesse
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sweet and lovely tale of a magnificent woman's life. Best read if you know a bit about Ms. Austen's life since it doesn't provide a great amount of details.
Story Circle Book Reviews
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Jane Austen's novel, Northanger Abbey, was one I hadn't read (or seen on film) so I read it just last year. The novel was set in Bath, England.

It was interesting to read in Jane Austen: An Illustrated Biography that the Austen family spent time there on holiday and would later live there. Reading a writer's biography gives one a sense of where ideas and locations originate.

While Jane Austen's books have become popular with contemporary readers and movie-goers, they may not know her story. This b
Kathleen
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lovely read!
Stephanie Borders
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, biographies
Synopsis:

Frida Kahlo and Jane Austen are two of the four books in a series done by Chronicle Books. The series spotlights different famous women and chronicles their lives in a simplistic format. The text is accompanied by whimsical illustrations. The books are small–I would say about as tall and as wide as a slice of bread and they start from birth and continue on until death.

My thoughts:

I first saw these books a few months ago and loved the idea of an easy to digest biography with fun illustra
Luciana Babocci
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have never read any books from Jane Austen; however, this biography was a very interesting read.

I always thought she was older & didn't realize she died @ 41. This biography has peeked my interest & perhaps I may indulge myself with 1 of her reads.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Young Jane Austen: Becoming a Writer
  • Aerendgast
  • The Jane Austen Guide to Happily Ever After
  • In the Garden with Jane Austen
  • Make Yourself Happy
  • Famous Players (A Treasury of XXth Century Murder)
  • A Portrait Of Jane Austen
  • Miss Moon: Wise Words from a Dog Governess
  • Alfred Hitchcock: The Man Who Knew Too Much (Icons)
  • Jane Austen For Dummies
  • The Fart Party, Vol. 2
  • Essential Shakespeare Handbook
  • A Year of Good Eating: The Kitchen Diaries III
  • Beatrix Potter and the Unfortunate Tale of a Borrowed Guinea Pig
Zena Alkayat is a journalist, author, and editor based in London.