Start by marking “This Is the Story of You” as Want to Read:
This Is the Story of You

This Is the Story of You

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  600 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews
On Haven, a six-mile long, half-mile-wide stretch of barrier island, Mira Banul and her Year-Rounder friends have proudly risen to every challenge. But when a superstorm defies all predictions and devastates the island, when it strands Mira’s mother and brother on the mainland and upends all logic, nothing will ever be as it was. A stranger appears in the wreck of Mira’s h ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Story of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Story of You

Cathy
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
There were about three different threads running through this story, and I didn't feel that any of them were developed enough. Why give the brother a rare disease? I couldn't really feel sorry for him because there wasn't anything about him (other than a rare disease which I didn't really know how it would affect him) to make me feel sorry. The "mystery" of Mira's family really didn't come into play until the story was nearly over, and then the "mystery" seemed so obvious to me it wasn't even wo ...more
Ryley (Ryley Reads)
Thanks to Raincoast Books for providing me with a copy of this book to read for review. All opinions are my own.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was suspenseful and frightening, but it was so beautifully written that sometimes you forgot it took place in the middle of a superstorm.

I really liked the layout, three parts and how the story was fairly equally divided between before the storm and after the storm. You get this image of a charming little island town, then ravaged by the sea.

I
Jenn
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
My first and last Beth Kephart book. I do not enjoy books written in this lyrical style. It's like a crutch for poor storytelling with lots of plot holes and weak character development. I cannot see any of my teens enjoying this read.
Keann
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book very much, I started to like it near the end of the book. I didn't like this book because I felt like the Arthur had to add every little detail to the story. So I was very bored reading it. This is what I thought about the story of you.
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
This review originally appeared on Novel Ink.

I’ll admit that I have some conflicting thoughts about this book. This is the Story of You follows a teenage girl named Mira as the tiny island she calls home is unexpectedly struck by a devastating storm. I’m truly not sure where to begin with my thoughts on this book, because, well, nothing really happens in the story. I mean, a number of separate events occur, but the author fails to connect them in any way or provide context for the reader re: why
Diane S ☔
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Haven, an island off the Jersey shore, Mira and her friends are year rounders, wait for the summer tourists to leave so their lives are their own again. Mira'a brother has the very rare Hunter's syndrome and her mother takes him to the mainland for treatment. This is where they will be stuck, leaving Mira on the island, when Hurricane Sandy hits. A storm that was predicated to miss the town of Haven.

The writing in this is very different, had to get used to it, beautifully descriptive but sho
Mrs.  Barrett
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the Story of You is an interesting book that took a bit of time to get into. Although I never truly connected with or felt strong emotion toward the characters, the plot was enjoyable. The main genre would be realistic fiction but this book also has hints of adventure and mystery.
Nia Kuzio
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely a great read. There were so many amazing details. I would defiantly recommend this book to young adult readers, like myself.
Alison
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Let me be honest, this book was good. But it didn't enthuse me as much as I had hoped. Still a very good storyline.
Sarah Laurence
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beth Kephart is one of my favorite young adult authors because her sophisticated writing challenges teens to think for themselves. In literary prose Kephart explores real world issues through complex characters and surreal imagery. Well-developed adult characters make her books cross over easily to grown ups too. Her evocative settings transport the reader to another world. Don't you love her latest cover?

This is a Story of You is a modern parable of the horrors of climate change. When a storm c
Hope Wilson
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is This is the Story of You by Beth Kephart and while I was reading it I found it to be very interesting. When I first started reading the book, This is the Story of You I thought it was going to be boring. There were a couple of events and the characters that made me think otherwise. One of the characters in this book was Shift. No one really knows who he is, not his last name either. No one has a clue as to who he is. Another character in this book is a girl named Eva. Eva is a clos ...more
Deborah Bright
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very, very beautiful book, more like a very long poem than anything else. It leaves me thinking, sifting through ideas and images, looking for patterns and connections. As I read the book, I knew I should slow down and try to read it more critically, to make it make sense, to dissect and analyze it...but all I wanted to do as I turned the pages was taste the next beauty. Kephart takes exciting risks with language, giving words the freedom to do what they do best even as she requires th ...more
Angie
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a story about Hurricane Sandy, so it happened just last year or so, but when all systems are down and everything is wrecked you could just as easily be decades ago or in some dystopian future.

This is a story told by your artsy friend who seems so spacey and talks in circles but sees things others don't and you love her for that.

--reviewed from an advance reader's copy. Please support your local independent bookstore if you choose to buy this book--
Jill
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I felt like I was not always getting what the author was saying in this book. It was nothing like I was expecting, there were some surprises and also some thing's I found predictable and guessed before they were revealed in the story.
Zachary West
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is really complex, especially on the emotional side of things. Mira is a girl who considers herself average, but I think is a lot more than just average. She lives on a barrier island near New Jersey, loves taxonomy, and has a brother with the extremely rare Hunter Syndrome. Her mode of transportation around the island is a pair of roller skates, which I thought was pretty cool for a 21st century character. In other words, Mira is a richly developed character who has many unusual ...more
Julia Rae
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
On the first few pages of the This is the Story of You ARC, the publisher wrote a letter addressed to readers who’ve never read a Beth Kephart book, saying that he envies the experience readers are about to have.
Intrigued, I started reading right away, and I could not stop.

For me, the writing in this book stood out more than the plot. Reading Kephart’s writing was a completely new experience for me as a reader. It was so interesting to visualize the story from the way Kephart describes it. Her w
Sam Musher
I'm collecting clear-eyed yet hopeful books about climate change, and this is a fine example. A Hurricane-Sandy-like storm destroys the protagonist's tiny mid-Atlantic island home... but that doesn't happen until halfway through the book, and is packed all around with a lot of literary, lyrical writing that a teacher could use as a textbook on foreshadowing. Sometimes the literary-ness felt a bit over the top to me, and the resolution of the relationship mysteries was abrupt and soapy. But the b ...more
Stephanie A.
For a while I was really frustrated by the writing style, which seems better suited to short stories where you can really appreciate florid descriptions of a seaside resort town in the off season (not me baby, I am waiting for a super-storm disaster here!).

However, once the storm struck, I definitely got a good deal of the disaster aftermath I crave. They're cut off from the mainland and any associated help for a few days, so it's all about community members making their way to and helping each
Sarbjot
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I don't have feelings anymore, I'm numb to the core. What the heck just happened in this book? I was loving it then i wasn't, then again and again same pace... What. The. Heck. Has. The. World. Gotten. Into?

Just a minor mistakes I had to go through:
First of all, at the starting I had trouble following along and it took maybe a couple or more chapters to know where the person stands in the book. Also, this book has sections and theirs 3 sections and when one section started I got confus
Olivia
This was an amazing book! I loved so much! The author uses really amazing words in a certain way and it makes you fell like you are their! It is about this girl and she has a brother that has a type of disease and a mom who works really hard to provide for them. She has an aunt but something happened to her and she doesn't now what. The aunt is dead though and she left her family her house.
There is a huge storm and everything after the storm is the best part! Everyone should read it, it's so ama
Mac Library
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A teenage girl is stuck on an island, without her family, during a terrible storm. In the aftermath, she searches for friends, relies on strangers, deals with loss, and hopes for word from her mother. I really liked this book. It is refreshing to read realistic YA where the teens actually like their families and school. There is a tiny bit of romance with a supporting character, but not much. This book is beautifully written.
Carly222
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The writing was magnificent, the prose was so beautiful it read like one long poem, but not overly so where it distracted from what the author was really trying to portray. For anyone who loves the beach--who finds magic in the shells and the sand and the cool water and the salty air--you would enjoy this one. The second half is a little heavier than the first, but it is such a wonderful story.
Cece
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Un libro que definitivamente no es para mí. Demasiado descriptivo, poca acción y un lenguaje que, aunque precioso y poético, cansino para mi gusto. Es un muy buen libro, con una excelente calidad narrativa, pero no es lo que a mí me gusta leer. A pesar de tratar de una tormenta, de supervivencia, apenas ocurre nada en la historia, y únicamente se pone interesante en las últimas 20 páginas.
Renee Doucette
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reading
The story in this book is two (or three) fold. It's about a community, a school, a group of friends. And then it is about a storm, the wreckage, and finding each other. The prose was poetic and much more beautiful than most YA books. The ending felt a little rushed, but the story had a few surprises in the end.
Book
Dec 26, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
I have such a complicated relationship with Beth Kephart books. The language is always so gorgeous-- and in this book I felt like I was right there in Haven with Mira because the setting was so beautifully rendered--but the tension tends to miss the mark for me.
Jessica Brooks
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well. I cried. It took a while for everything to be set up, and the writing style is definitely something you have to get used to, but it was worth the read, because everything was brought together perfectly in the end.
Janet
Nov 12, 2015 added it
Shelves: 2015
Review book for journal so I won't give a rating but I will say it is one of the most beautifully written and compelling YA books that I have read this year.
Aug 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I actually met the author of this book on a cruise to Alaska with my cousin. She used me and my cousin, Gillian's, name in the book!
Marcia
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
An intriguing story, but I especially love the deceptively simple, luminous language.
Deborah
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘What is the logic of rescue?’

We see pictures, we read stories, we try to imagine what we ourselves might do in the wake of a superstorm like the one that hits the tiny island of Haven in Beth Kephart’s beautifully written novel, This Is the Story of You. What would we try to retrieve from the damage? How do we deal with the inability to reach family and friends?

“We had to survive because others hadn’t,” observes Mira, the seventeen-year-old narrator. “We had to grieve the countless losses.” A
  • The Land of 10,000 Madonnas
  • Kevin
  • Threatened (Ape Quartet #2)
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • The Never Weres
  • Garage Band
  • Lucky Few
  • Summer of Sloane
  • Just Call My Name (I'll Be There, #2)
  • Alterations
  • The Other Side of Summer
  • Girls I've Run Away With
  • Emiko Superstar
  • Refresh, Refresh
Though I've been writing since I was nine years old, I didn't publish beyond my high school literary journal until I was a new mother. My first published essay was in Iowa Woman; subsequently, I published short stories in dozens of literary magazines—learning, always, what worked or what didn't by reading far more than I wrote.

My first book, A SLANT OF SUN, a memoir, was a National Book Award fin

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99