Start by marking “A Beetle Is Shy” as Want to Read:
A Beetle Is Shy

A Beetle Is Shy

The award-winning duo of Dianna Hutts Aston and Sylvia Long team up again, this time creating a gorgeous look at the fascinating world of beetles. From flea beetles to bombardier beetles, an incredible variety of these beloved bugs are showcased here in all their splendor. Poetic in voice and elegant in design, this carefully researched and visually striking book is perfec ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by Chronicle Books (first published March 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about A Beetle Is Shy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Beetle Is Shy

Lisa Vegan
I’ve yet to read A Nest Is Noisy (I expect it to be ready for pick up from the library when I go there this coming Tuesday) but I’ve read and loved 4 other books by this team: A Rock Is Lively, A Seed Is Sleepy, An Egg Is Quiet, and A Butterfly Is Patient.

I’m not wild about most insects and I wasn’t feeling particularly interested in beetles, but I’ve enjoyed other books in this series so much I want to read them all. And actually this probably was my least favorite book in the series so far. (I
Melki
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the most beautifully illustrated kids' books I've ever seen, AND, pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about beetles.
Hilary
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers interested in the natural world
Recommended to Hilary by: Lisa Vegan
3.5 stars rounded up. The cover is beautiful. Beetles are amazing and this is a really good book for children interested in the natural world. I felt there could have been more pages, more information and certainly more beetles. Although the beetle illustrations are good, if you look at a beetle that has blue on it's body you will find that every other beetle with blue has exactly the same blue. The same goes for other colours,I think the illustrations could have been improved with a little more ...more
Peacegal
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
 photo shy_zps9rpmphvn.jpg
A Beatle is Shy

I know I would have loved this as a youthful insect fan. Even those who may not be so sure about bugs may think twice after seeing the incredible colors and diversity of the beetle world. This book is a lot of fun and imparts a sense of wonder about even the smallest aspects of the natural world.
Barbara
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This one earns a 4.5 from me. In their sixth outing together, this creative team explores a most unlikely topic for a picture book--beetles. But as it turns out, beetles have many characteristics and behaviors that make them interesting, including their extraordinary colors and infinite varieties. The book follows a similar pattern to the earlier nature-themed books, starting with a beetle being shy, covering several aspects of beetles, and then returning to its shyness and the opposite--being b ...more
Mary
Here is another gorgeous poetic science picture book by Aston and Long. Like the others, the latest addition focuses on one subject and provides lyrical tidbits of information on beautifully illustrated double spread pages. This time the subject is the beetle and the trivia is fascinating and provides young readers with a broad introduction to the characteristics and behaviors of various types of beetles. The only drawback is that there is no resource list or bibliography.
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Sylvia Long's illustrations and the books in this series have exquisite, colorful depictions of the natural world. My daughter's Mother Goose book was illustrated by Sylvia Long and it is so pleasant to progress with her as she creates works of art for older children and adults as well. Just lovely.
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bug books are not my usual reading fodder, however, the cover is so luscious I just had to check it out! Lyrical writing & exquisite illustrations make this book a joy to read.
Lynn
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An informational book about beetles that is structured in an unusual way with beautiful thoughtful writing and stunning watercolor illustrations. A book to spend time with!
Kathryn
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Colorful, quite accurate illustrations of so many beetles. This would be a terrific book any child that loves bugs.
Julia
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one series that had my attention caught since of its descriptive title. Each book's title within the series gives the reader a chance to know what is being explored within the pages of the actual book while also providing the format of the book's writing, which is the "is ...".

Furthermore each book in the series can also be read in two different formats thus allowing the reading audience to be broadened out. If you have very young readers or those who cannot sit still long enough for a
Linda
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Categories/Genre: Informational, Non-fiction, Picture book
Copyright Date: 2016
Estimate grade level of interest: K-3
Estimate of reading level: 5th grade

Brief Description: The book describes the wonderful and intriguing attributes of many types of beetles.

A Beetle is Shy is an informational picture book intended for young children. It provides basic but interesting information about various types of beetles with beautiful colorful illustrations and diagrams to support the text. The information is
Annissa
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Copyright: 2016
Number of Pages: 40
Book Format: hardcover
Reading Level: GR level P
Genre: nonfiction
Lit Requirement: Teachers Choice 2017

Summary:
This book is all about beetles. What different kinds of beetles there are, what they can do, what they look like. Dis you know that some beetles can fly? Me either. Read the book to learn even more about beetles!

Review:
The illustrations in this book are amazing!! There is so much detail that it makes the illustrations come to life. This book is a great in
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Dianna Aston shares a collection of the different types of beetles from large to small beetles to beetles around the world. She explains how a beetle is born and grows and how there are many different types, all with copious use of various adjectives and repetition of "a beetle is..." I never thought that I would enjoy reading a book about beetles or that there could be so much variety but there is in this very colorful and informative book. One of my favorite pages to look at is the colorful di ...more
Owen Baker
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Colourful and full of facts.

This book tells you loads of great facts about beetles,like the titan beetle is seven inches long.

It’s a beautifully illustrated non fiction picture book. Aimed to young readers but apeals to all ages.

I think readers would like it because there is a lot of knowledge to be gained from it. I enjoined it because it surprised me with some of the facts. It made me think about the wide variety of beetles.

A great book for all insect lovers.

Brianna Owoc
A beetle is shy is an informative nonfiction book on beetles. In the book, there are bright colors and labels to show what type beetles there are. The development and life of a beetle are shown in a creative way making it interesting for children. The story has an easy flow and provides different facts for a student to learn from the story.
Atlas Miladin
This book was very informational. It provided many facts about beetles that I was unaware of. I like how this picture book included some scientific terms and explained them in a way that children can easily understand. The information is provided with lots of colorful pictures that help explain the topics. I think this book would be a great addition to my future classroom!
Morgan Czopur
The illustrations and the choice of colors used in this book are very beautiful. This would be a great book to use in the classroom when learning about different types of insects/bugs. There are different characteristics presented in the book about beetles. In this book, you learn how each beetle is different and the different qualities each one has.
Olivia
A Beetle is Shy is an information picture story that tells us about some of the different types of beetles. This story is an excellent way to learn and teach about beetles as it uses its vibrant and detailed visuals to show the different qualities each beetle has. Readers, especially children, would enjoy seeing the colorful pictures as well as be able to learn
Melyssa LeDay
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emyrose8
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The illustrations are the best part of this book. Gorgeous, colorful, beautiful layouts. Beetles are not my favorite topic in the world, but this book is going to be a hit with kids who are fascinated by them. I love the page that says “Beetles are tasty.” I like the way the language flows, so maybe I’ll check out other books by this duo that are on topics more interesting to me.
AMY
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 1-5
What a beautiful book of information on the beetle! I learned a lot from reading it. The illustrations are excellent, colorful and creatively positioned. It appears these insects have taken over the book, crawling everywhere! I loved it! I will definitely purchase the rest of her series. Highly recommended for Grades 2-5 and teachers could read aloud to first grade, too.
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art and educational text. I apparently had no idea how many kinds of beetles exist. Language has poetic feel, an inviting approach for a reader like me who is less excited about dry nonfiction. My kids would have liked it either way. Right now they are looking for beetles in the yard as I type.
Sarah Wilson
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and fascinating much like the others in the series.
Marcie
I love this series and am glad to finally own one of the books. My son will love that it ended up being the beetle one.
Jess
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
May 2018 - Ben was excited to read this after enjoying An Egg is Quiet, and this is just as stunning. He especially loves the pages showing lots and lots of beetles, and picking out his favorites.
Jo Oehrlein
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
All sorts of fun information about beetles.

Note that the main text is in cursive, so some readers may need adult help. Details are printed.
Farhana Afroz
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful poetic science book for the children. Fun to read and at the same time, the children will get a lot of information about the beetle.
Catherine
Another gorgeous book that shows the beauty of nature.
Michelle Gray
Super interesting to read and filled with really beautiful illustrations of different beetles.
  • Egg: Nature's Perfect Package
  • Grand Canyon
  • Trapped! A Whale's Rescue
  • Ada's Violin: The Story of the Recycled Orchestra of Paraguay
  • Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
Dianna Hutts Aston was born in Houston, Texas, attended the University of Houston, and worked as a journalist for several years. LOONY LITTLE is her first picture book with Candlewick Press. She says, "It was one of the hottest summer days on record. My mind, of its own accord, kept wandering northward, to a wilderness of snow and ice, the Arctic. While listening to the news one evening, I heard P ...more