Start by marking “Follow the Moon Home: A Tale of One Idea, Twenty Kids, and a Hundred Sea Turtles” as Want to Read:

Acclaimed activist Philippe Cousteau and renowned author Deborah Hopkinson team up to offer a story of the powerful difference young people can make in the world. Meet Viv, who has a new home and a new school by the sea, and follow her as she finds her way in a new place and helps bring together a whole community to save the sea turtles of the South Carolina coast.
Published April 5th 2016 by Chronicle Books (first published March 29th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Follow the Moon Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow the Moon Home

Danielle
Mar 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This book does a tricky thing: it lays out how to be an activist while weaving a story of a girl who's moved to a new place. I think it works and those fantastic illustrations help a lot (gorgeous!). As readers, we care about Viv and we care about the turtles. We begin to think like an activist who looks for a problem and enlists others to find a way to solve it. So much hope here and great for service learning/classrooms.
Mary
Living in South Carolina was a dream come true for me. I enjoyed every moment beside the lake and beautiful coastline. If you're a nature lover, South Carolina has plenty to offer. Upstate offers the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and some of the clearest, gorgeous lakes the eye can behold. The Midlands region is home to Columbia, the state's capital and largest city. The Pee Dee region (I always thought it was part of the Lowcountry but those living in this area would scream, "It's the Pee Dee! ...more
Alison
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Good for PYP collections - sharing the planet with great action component.
Samantha
Viv is the new girl in the neighborhood, but soon finds herself bringing the entire community together to protect sea turtles. Inspired by her teacher, Viv and her classmates are looking for a problem to solve and she finds it after a visit to the beach. When Viv discovers the body of a baby turtle facing away from the sea, she is inspired to do some research and she figures out that the lights from the beach houses are putting the turtles in danger and confusing their natural instincts. With he ...more
Jeff Corrigan
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great example of how kids can not only see and identify problems in their own community, but how they can work together to solve those problems. The extras in this book help guide children, parents, and teachers to help each other tackle problems in their own community generically or to learn more about how to help save and protect loggerhead turtles like those in the story. Thumbs up. ~The Librarian Uncle
Katie Dugdale
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book with a 3 year-old which struck up a lengthy conversation about the effect human life has on nature, in this instance, sea turtles. We spoke about how it’s things humans do, that they don’t think would be harmful, such as having your house lights on, that is killing wildlife. We also spoke about the other things humans do in other parts of the world that can harm turtles. In particular, we spoke of a holiday we had been on where the sand on the beaches was being taken for buildin ...more
Lizzie
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book explores some lovely messages for our younger generation: explore, be curious, follow your interests and always ask questions!

This story of a young girl finding her feet in a new place is a subtle invitation to children to explore new areas of interest: to keep your eyes open and speak up when you have something to say. Curiosity is a wonderful thing. This book also holds a valuable lesson for adults to always be open to our young people’s interests. The author’s letter to young activ
jb Byrkit
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book needs some work, but overall the story and message are good. The story ends too abruptly and seems to not have an ending. After the story about Viv, there are some good suggestions about where you can help out with sea turtles. They are an endangered species. We all need to do our part to protect this species from further damage.

My recommendations:
visit the loggerhead hospital in South Florida
visit the Turtle Hospital in The Florida Keys
Colette
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for reading skills. Share with students and learn all about why baby turtles may have a tough time hatching in an area where there are vacation homes, or those who don't care about our environment. My students and I love this book and the impact a few kids can have in their own home town.
Character!
Sarah Evans
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: txla-awards
Great book for introducing locally focused project based learning.
The Reading Countess
Follow the Moon Home reminds me of the starfish story: it matters to the sea turtles, you see. This is a wonderful whisper in its young readers' ears that despite insurmountable odds, people can push change forward.
Alex (not a dude) Baugh
After her family moves to a seaside South Carolina town, Vivienne joins a summer school class that is just beginning to toss around ideas for for a problem to solve for their community action class project. But when she rides her bike around town trying to find a good project, she just ends of lost. But, then, Viv always feels disoriented in a new place.

On Saturday, Viv takes her dog Samson to the beach for some digging fun. While there, she is told to make sure any holes Samson digs get filled
Baby Bookworm
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends – and welcome to the review of our ONE THOUSANDTH BOOK! We chose a good one: Follow The Moon Home: A Tale Of One Idea, Twenty Kids, And A Hundred Sea Turtles, written by Phillipe Cousteau and Deborah Hopkinson, and illustrated by Meilo So.

New to her South Carolina beach town, Vivienne feels alone and adrift. Even though her summer school program teacher and fellow students are we
Linda
I'm a little confused about this book. Some say it is fiction, but my library has it on the non-fiction shelves. However, it does seem to be a 'story' of a girl new to her community and her new teacher has given the class a challenge. They are to find a problem, and work together to solve it. This time, the girl Vivienne discovers that loggerhead turtles nest on the beaches, but when they hatch, the babies can be confused by the lights on the homes along the beach. The class researches, holds fu ...more
Nicole
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this beautiful, children's book in the new releases at my local library. I love the beach and sea turtles, so I just had to borrow it. What a wonderful, motivational book for children, to help them realize how many ways they can contribute to their community! I read it to my family, as if they were at story time! Loved it!
June
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young activist and endangered species requests
Recommended to June by: capitolchoices.org
Wonderful story of how a teacher invites his students to find a problem in their community and try to figure out solutions. A new student learns about the loggerheads that nest on the beach and discovers the problem of lights in the beach houses confusing the nestlings. She takes the problem to her class and together they gather information and brainstorm solutions and save the nestlings.
Jen Bojkov
Lovely picture book about a young girl and how she and her class helped improve conditions for sea turtles nesting on the South Carolina coast. Fairly long story- so better for older pre-schoolers or elementary-aged kids.
jacky
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lib-aub
Adorable baby sea turtles! I'd also say a go-to book for kids about taking an idea and turning it into action.
Emily Scheinman
Informative in a totally kid friendly way. Will make a great school read aloud
Lynn
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like this book. Lovely illustrations paired with a excellent information AND positive suggestions for action that is truly feasible. A great book for a classroom!
Chris
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
School Library Journal

This book delivers an eloquent environmental message while demonstrating how kids can change the world through teamwork and perseverance. When Vivienne moves into her new home by the sea, she is nervous about finding her way. Her teacher and her classmates welcome her as they jump into an exciting class project—the students are looking for a problem to solve.

After school at the beach, Vivienne and her new friend, Clementine, discover that the baby loggerhead sea turtles th
Mathew
When Viv, a young girl settling into her new school in a coastal town in South Carolina, meets an engaged and interesting teacher whose classroom is focused on a class project on ‘community action’, she begins to make choices that help her combat that early anxiety but also ones that change her perspective of what she can accomplish alongside others. Together they devise a community action plan in order to support the baby Loggerhead turtles that hatch on the beach every year.

Since the communit
Sally
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary
The story is about Viv who moves to South Carolina and discovers that the sea turtles in her community by the coast are encountering a problem that endangers them. She, along with her friend set about to change that and in so doing have to rally the whole community around the loggerhead turtles. But she does it! She made a difference! It is easy to see why this book is a Texas BlueBonnet nominee.

The Good
I really liked the very specific list of community action steps that is included in th
Melanie Dulaney
Cousteau and Hopkinson have written a wonderful non-fiction book that will fit into the hands of any PK-5th grader. Meilo So's illustrations are bold, creative and absolutely enrich the story of new kid at school Viv as she tries to help her classmates find and solve a community problem. A run on the beach turns into a chance meeting with school chum Clementine and the discovery that loggerhead turtles are struggling to survive on the beaches of South Carolina. Problem found and with a clear pro ...more
Peacegal
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
Eye-catching watercolor illustrations tell the inspiring story of a little girl who sees a problem in her neighborhood and resolves to help. Baby sea turtles are hatching at her local beach, but they are losing their way because of the bright outdoor lighting at the houses along the shoreline.

The problem seems so big. What can kids do to solve it?

Readers young and old are given the blueprint for starting an environmental campaign of their own when the kids in this story use creative means to ge
Gary Anderson
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Baby sea turtles have always struck me as sort of mystical. They emerge from being buried in sand and follow moonlight reflecting on water into the sea where they spend most of their lives, returning to land only to bury their own eggs on a sandy beach. Somewhere in there is a myth waiting to be unraveled.

In Follow the Moon Home, Philippe Cousteau (grandson of Jacques) and Deborah Hopkinson use the inherently interestingly baby loggerhead turtles as the basis of a larger story about problem-solv
Katherine Lucas
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I felt that it read as a fiction story while giving a lot of information. I think that really helps young readers get into nonfiction books. I liked the theme behind the story of trying to save the turtles, but i did wish that the book gave more information as to why they did some of the things they did. We know why they got everyone to turn off the lights which was the main concept of the book but i felt that they could've explained why they did things like marking t ...more
Diane
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young girl, new in her school, is challenged by her teacher to "find a problem to solve." Her class is looking to get involved in some community action project. When Viv goes to the beach, she discovers that it is a loggerhead turtle nesting area. She and a classmate decide they must find a way to help the baby turtles reach the ocean.

A great read aloud to introduce to students the idea of community service and problem solving. Includes a letter to young activists in the back and a bibliograph
Brandy Watkins
This book represents young children being active and helpful within their community. The students at a summer school in South Carolina decide to help save baby loggerhead sea turtles to the ocean. I liked how the book included photos that showed the logical steps onto solving any problem, it does not have to be about turtles. Children can be powerful and can help reform society just as much as a grown adult. This is something I would read to my children and I would recommend adults to read it as ...more
Suzannebuza
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this narrative nonfiction! I had no idea about these creatures and their plight. This would even be suitable for some lower elementary students because it's written simply enough (for nonfiction) to understand. Helpful info at the end about next steps for kids (or adults!), additional research and more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
Philippe Cousteau, grandson of Captain Jacques Cousteau, is a correspondent and spokesperson for Discovery Education and the Animal Planet and Planet Green channels. He is founder and CEO of EarthEcho International, whose mission is to foster extraordinary leaders to take action to restore and protect our oceans.