Jump to ratings and reviews
You know him, you love him — now, join him for his biggest caper ever as master of charm Lando Calrissian steps into his very own high-stakes adventure! Before he joined the rebellion, before he ran Cloud City, Lando made his way in the galaxy getting by on some swindles, some swagger and a smile. With the loyal Lobot at his side, Lando has a plan to steal a very valuable ship. But has he bitten off more than he can chew? One of the galaxy's deadliest, most effective trackers is on his tail, and the heist of a lifetime has become a fight to survive! Lando and Lobot took this gig for the easy payday — but if they make it through alive, they'll never be the same. It's the tale of a scoundrel in his natural element: trouble!

COLLECTING: STAR WARS: LANDO #1-5

1,009 books1,170 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
184 (4%)
1 star
37 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 439 reviews
Profile Image for Sam Quixote.
4,426 reviews12.7k followers
October 12, 2015
Looking forward to the inevitable Boba Fett solo series? Or even the Han Solo solo series? Well, Marvel know what you want because heeeeeere’s… Lando? Oh…

Lando’s not a bad character. He’s not a great character either but it could’ve been worse - can you imagine giving Chewbacca his own series? Wait, that’s next week? Wow, Marvel are really milking this Star Wars licence for everything it’s worth! So it’s up to writer Charles Soule and artist Alex Maleev to somehow come up with a story for this minor supporting character in this 5-issue limited series. And they do a perfectly average job!

Like the other Star Wars titles to come out this year, Lando is set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. Lando owes money to a gangster who makes him accept a job with a big score: steal an expensive space yacht. Except they don’t realise it’s owned by the Emperor who sends a dangerous bounty hunter after him (no, not that one, a knockoff version of him).

I like Charles Soule. I like Alex Maleev. I like Star Wars. And I felt very, very eeeehhhh… about Lando. It’s not a terribly interesting story and not even remotely necessary. I mean, do you even know the name of Lando’s bald buddy with the gadget on his head? I didn’t - his name’s Lobot. This whole book is about how he ended up more robotic than human, a fact I neither cared about before, during, or after this story! Did you even realise he was any different from his two or three scenes in the movies? No, right? Well, if you decide to read this one, you’re gonna find out regardless!

We get to see Lando be a daring badass, if that’s what you’re after. He out-pilots star destroyers! He draws first in a gunfight! He’s got beautiful women chasing him! He’s like an intergalactic James Bond! It’s a shame Soule can’t find a way to make the reader care much about any of it. It’s not that his writing is bad, it’s just very ordinary and unexciting. Basically, like the other solo Star Wars titles, the character doesn't really work on its own - Star Wars is an ensemble epic.

There’s not a whole lot to say about this one. We meet some uninteresting new characters (Soule’s speciality - see his Inhuman and Wolverines titles for more examples!), they fight on board a cursed ship, so it’s a bit like wandering around a haunted house, and then it’s over. Maleev’s art is good but he doesn’t do anything special that fans haven’t seen before. He nails the Billy Dee Williams look though (and whoever the actor was who played Lobot).

And that’s the book basically. Didn’t love it, didn’t hate it, just felt ambivalent about the competently put-together workmanlike comic we ended up with. I suppose props should go to Soule for giving Lando a story of any sort, even if it turned out to be eminently disposable! It’s irrelevant and forgettable and has PRODUCT written all over it but it’s a totally ok minor Star Wars book. It’s Lando!

Hmm… these Marvel Star Wars comics aren't that great, are they? I think I’m gonna give the Chewbacca series a miss! I mean, what’s next - a Grand Moff Tarkin book by Dan Slott and Alex Ross?! Oh god, it’s gonna happen isn’t it…
Profile Image for Chad.
7,306 reviews851 followers
September 21, 2020
This was surprisingly good. Set before The Empire Strikes Back, Lando assembles a team and steals something he shouldn't have.
Profile Image for A.J..
603 reviews33 followers
June 29, 2022
Set before ESB, this 5 issues miniseries shows us Lando isn’t doing too well during the Empire’s reign of power, as he is currently in serious debt to Papa Toren, a crime lord. After the loot from Lando’s latest haul, which he thought would fully pay his debts off, turns out to already have belonged to Toren, the crime lord thanks Lando by sending him on one last mission to pay off his debts: Steal a cruise ship that is guarded by Imperials. Sounds easy enough, right? But when the ship turns out to belong to Emperor Palpatine, a ferocious tracker is sent to find Lando and his crew and either retrieve or destroy the ship. Just as long as it doesn’t fall into someone else’s hands, Palpatine is happy...

I honestly liked this quite a bit. I’ve been binging through some Star Wars comics recently and this was another gem I wasn’t expecting. It was awesone that this connected to Charles Soule’s Vader run, specifically Volume 4: Fortress Vader with the appearance of Momin’s helmet. I also was surprised by how much I liked Soule’s voice for Lando, but I really shouldn’t since the dude has proven he has a great understanding of the Star Wars mythos in every single book I’ve read of his in this universe. There was also some emotional moments between him and Lobot, that nothing character in the background of Empire, that work surprisingly well considering that character didn’t mean shit to me before this. Alex Maleev’s art was quite good as well, but his action can look a bit stiff in certain panels. It’s not enough to tank the book or anything, especially since the rest of his pages are good, but I have found him to be one of the more inconsistent artists in recent years.

Nothing overtly negative to say about this mini besides some stiff art in places. It’s not the greatest Star Wars comic I’ve ever read, but it was a quick and fun read that I don’t regret spending time on at all. There’s some cool twists and turns, solid moments for Lando as a character, and when the art isn’t stiff, it looks quite good. Recommended to anyone who likes Lando or Soule’s Star Wars work.
Profile Image for Jim C.
1,476 reviews24 followers
July 1, 2021
If you haven't guessed this is a collection about Lando Calrissian. In this one, he finds himself in debt and he is offered to a job to steal a ship. He assembles a team without knowing that he is about to embark on this adventure and get more than he asked for.

Have you ever put off a book because you want to read it but something is telling you that you might not enjoy it? After finally reading it you realize you were wrong and the book surprises you. This is one of those times for me. First off I am not the biggest Lando fan. Secondly, I read his other mini series and I did not enjoy it. This one was totally different though. This had a little bit of everything in it. It captured Lando perfectly as we see his suave nature get him in trouble but also help him out troubling situations. This collection had twists along the way while providing action sequences and dabbling in the dark side of the force. The sub plot with Lobot was fantastic and leads into the character we see in The Empire Strikes Back.

Once again my spidey sense was off about this book. I really enjoyed this. This is a one off that doesn't add much to the overall arc. It does add to a minor character which was a pleasant surprise. I would have never guessed that I would have given a book about Lando four stars. You just never know how a book is into you dive into it and this book surprised me.
Profile Image for Dimitris.
95 reviews46 followers
December 4, 2015
Star Wars: Lando is exactly how a story about the best smooth-talking smuggler in space should be; entertaining, exciting and tense. Before he joined the rebellion, before he ran Cloud City, Lando made his way in the galaxy getting by on some swindles, some swagger and a smile.
description
Soule and Maleev tell us a story from the early life of Calrissian as a smuggler. This story is about his most stylish and crazy space heist he ever made, that of course takes just almost instantly a turn for the worse. Every single issue is full of that signature Lando humor we love so much from the movies and ends with a great cliffhanger. In this graphic novel he kinda reminded me of Steve McQueen in the Thomas Crown Affair. They are both capable of not only pulling off a perfect crime but also making sweet love to the ladies.
Lando is one of my favorite characters from the original trilogy mostly because he is so underrated. Plus he wears cool capes!
Profile Image for Paul.
2,306 reviews20 followers
April 6, 2016
The first thing that struck me about this book was that artist Alex Maleev had significantly changed his style for it. I don't know if it was an intentional thing or whether working in the Star Wars universe rather than Marvel's street-level arena forced his hand (see what I did there?) Whichever it was, I like it. His line work is cleaner and he can't get away with using photographs for his backgrounds in a galaxy far, far away.

As for the story, well, it started out OK. The first three issues were solid but unspectacular. Issue four was a significant improvement and issue five... well, issue five was a solid punch to the gut. Genuinely moving stuff. I know I'll never see that character the same way again when I watch The Empire Strikes Back and that's good writing, my friends.

7/10 rounded up to four stars.
Profile Image for Josh.
1,618 reviews145 followers
March 18, 2018
I thought this graphic novel was great. Pre A New Hope, we get a glimpse into the swindler that is Lando, a charismatic criminal whose loyalty to his inner circle is unquestionable and whose thirst for a quick credit unquenchable.

Lobot, the bit character from Cloud City is given a decent amount of page time; enough to render the character into one of more substance than the droid-like incarnation of the original films. I really enjoyed the extra layer of depth to him and gained an appreciation for how much he means to Lando.

Lobot isn't the only character to feature prominently, whilst Palaptine's presence is omnipresent (largely due to Lando stealing his luxury personal cruiser), there's a bunch of new characters which are all given ample time to shine such as bounty hunter Chanath Cha, muscle for hire Aleskin and Pavol, and academic Korin.

Author Charles Soule captured Lando perfectly; that balance between humor and seriousness pulled off to perfection and the art by Alex Maleev was on point - all culminating in an engrossing tale of one of the many adventures Lando and co have undertaken across the Star Wars universe.

My rating: 5/5 - I enjoyed every page and am looking forward to reading more Lando. Star Wars fans should definitely pick this up.
Profile Image for Gianfranco Mancini.
2,183 reviews743 followers
February 21, 2018

Not bad at all and the iconic character played by Billy Dee Williams always been a fan favourite of mine, but this volume was just as not as good as other recent Marvel Star Wars series (main one and Vader) and secondary characters were much more interesting than Lando for me.
Still a good read if you wanna read a "lost tale" in the past of the sexy smiling smuggler before he became the Baron Administrator of Cloud City and a general for the Rebel Alliance.

Profile Image for Sesana.
5,009 reviews348 followers
January 28, 2016
Obviously, Marvel is a business and is going to make the most of their exclusive Star Wars license. Fair enough. Make a list of ten Star Wars characters you'd like to see get their own comic book miniseries. Is Lando Calrissian on that list? He isn't on mine. He isn't even in my top fifteen. Where the hell is my Wedge Antilles and/or Rogue Squadron book? For that matter, I'd pay real cash money in the currency of Marvel's choice for a Biggs Darklighter mini. Yes, Poe Dameron is coming, now, but Lando first? Ok, fine, whatever, I guess. I don't hate Lando, and I actually kind of like him, in small doses. And it could be worse. It could be Greedo.

Probably, the more you like Lando, the more you'll like this book. I like him ok, as an occasional character, but get bored with him after sustained screen time. Which is essentially exactly what happened here. And it's an ok story, but it never really rises beyond just ok. The heist aspects are kind of fun, but the whole story revolves around a premise that I found somewhat implausible. Namely, that the notoriously careful Palpatine would keep priceless and incredibly powerful Sith artifacts anywhere that wasn't within his control at all times. On his private yacht while it was out for repairs? That's sort of like storing a cursed diamond ring in the glove box of your car when you send it in for an oil change. It's not totally impossible, sure, and it didn't totally ruin the book for me, but it was kind of nagging at the back of my mind while I read.

What you should really take away from this review is that I'm a sucker who's going to read all of these Star Wars comics, even if I'm skeptical about the character and the premise, until I get to one that's truly awful. I'm going to read the Chewbacca one. I have a problem. But you can learn from me. If you love or even really like Lando, by all means, read his miniseries. You'll probably have a good time. But if he isn't one of your favorite characters, there's absolutely nothing in here that will make him so.
Profile Image for Donovan.
687 reviews58 followers
June 1, 2018
A character study in charm, luck, and allowing one’s egoism to culminate in the destruction of everything you love—a much deeper, darker portrayal of the Lando we love.
July 3, 2020
Well... that was sad, geez. That ending, wow.

I really liked this graphic novel. Lando is a fascinating character to work with, and I love what they did with him. It's a heist, but there's something more there. I particularly liked Lobot. It sounds weird to say, but his and Lando's relationship was cute. I liked that they had a brotherly sort of bond and took risks for each other. I love a good strong friendship.

Is there a sequel to this coming out? Because wow, there were so many plot points in here that could be continued. I get it if this is a standalone, though, because it's mad good.

5/5 stars. Highly recommend if you like Lando.
Profile Image for Scott.
1,677 reviews119 followers
October 13, 2018
A couple of good plot twists and some knowing dialogue from the title scoundrel - sounding as if it could've been lifted straight from an Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi script - still doesn't quite make this one a 'must read.' It's good and the story actually gets better as it progresses, but I'm not quite sure Lando is an interesting enough character to take the lead and carry his own solo adventure. (My favorite thus far of Marvel's recent SW releases was Skywalker Strikes!, which worked partially because was an ensemble piece with lots of familiar faces from the film series.)
Profile Image for HBalikov.
1,694 reviews628 followers
December 2, 2016
I remember Lando Calrissian from arguably the best Star Wars film, The Empire Strikes Back. You must as well or you wouldn’t be reading this. So, we all recall that our Star Wars heroes fled to Bespin and Cloud City, a place administered by Lando who was wary of anyone who would get the Empire’s attention focused on him.

Previously, Lando had won Cloud City in a game of sabacc. Lando is a gambler and his life is chaotic. Whether his skills are sufficient to save him is a guess at any point. You may recall that Lando also won the Millennium Falcon in another game of sabacc before Han Solo got his hands on it. Lando is again living on the edge in this story. He is trying to make some quick cash to pay off a big debt.

“Following a deal gone sour, Lando has been tasked with one last score. With the help of his long-time friend, Lobot, and the aid of two cloned alien warriors, and an Ugnaught antiquities expert, he has set off on what should’ve been an easy job. Their target was an Imperial luxury yacht undergoing a refit ….at a shipyard circling the planet Castell. The heist was successful – unbeknownst to Lando, the ship actually belongs to Emperor Palpatine.”

Why did I grab this off the shelf? Probably to get in the mood for another Star Wars prequel, Rogue One. Lando is easy to understand: when he is flush he likes the good things in life including beautiful companions, fancy places and the opportunity to gamble; When he is down and out, he uses his thieving skills, shady friends and his penchant for gambling to try to reverse his fortunes. Sort of a Han Solo without any detectable social conscience.

One of the connections with other story lines is the presence of Chanath Cha, a human female. Her career as a bounty hunter involved mostly big paying clients and she was frequently hired by the Galactic Empire, itself for secret missions. She has a prior history with Lobot and Lando. Here the stakes are higher than ever for everybody when it becomes evident that what the ship is carrying is even more important than its ownership.

An easy, quick, and enjoyable plot, with artwork that is adequate to good, but you are reading it because you like Lando. He is the same guy you came to know with his quick smile, swagger and penchant for a swindle.
Profile Image for Diz.
1,509 reviews84 followers
February 7, 2019
Lando gathers a crew for a heist, but he bites off more than he can chew. Can Lando's quick talking and people skills get him out of this fix? Well, this happens before the Empire Strikes Back, so I guess the answer is obvious. The story is fine, but nothing special. However, I did enjoy seeing Lobot get a bigger role than he got in the movies. Ever since I was a child, I have been a fan of Lobot, for some reason I still can't understand. Call me when Lobot gets his spin-off series.
Profile Image for Richard Dominguez.
817 reviews99 followers
October 6, 2021
Collecting issues #1-5 of the Star Wars: Lando series this was a fun, quick read that introduces the reader to a Lando pre "New Hope".
Printed on high gloss paper, the illustrations are a little to dark for me (inking wise), but the dialog is light making for easy reading.
Profile Image for Matthew.
501 reviews17 followers
November 29, 2015
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

True Rating: 4.5 Stars

I fall into this category where everything that I read in regards to Star Wars has to deal with The Force Awakens. If I stumble upon something that has nothing to do with the new movie I've notice that I'm disappointed and not focus.

I blame the mass marketing behind the new movie and promoting everything too early and now that the film is going to premiere in less than 30 days I am going insane. If I had this comic after Episode VII I would have believe this would get all the stars.

When it comes to Lando Calrissian I am not a big fan because I don't know much about his character, I felt like they just randomly threw in a black guy into a movie without proper introductions and called it a day. So when I heard that they were making a miniseries I was apprehensive reading it.

I will admit that this comic didn't provide much coverage about who is Lando Calrissian and it felt more like an 30 minute episode of Rebels. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone at the current moment but if you love Lando and want something short then gladly pick it up and read.

This story takes place before Empire Strikes Back and Lando as a smuggler is trying to pay his debts. He thought by capturing this artifact would solve his problems but he has one final mission before he can run debt free.

His mission is to steal this ship and after completing the task he can sell whatever artifacts inside the ship. This mission sounds too good to be true and sure enough you discover that this special ship belongs to Emperor Palpatine and all hell will break loose.

I love the illustrations and the colors that were used in this comic and for once it got my mind off from Force Awakens but overall I was a tad bit disappointed that there weren't any character develop and left us more questions about these people who Lando encounters in this comic who he's known for years but don't explain how they met.

I believe this comic should have been a series of like 3 volumes and provide tons of details that we don't get answered from the Original Trilogy. I was debating about giving it 4 stars but I believe Lando is a far better comic than Leia so I give the rating of 4.5 stars.
Profile Image for Dario.
161 reviews28 followers
September 22, 2020
3.5 / 5

Lando Calrissian has to steal a ship to settle a score, only for him to find out this ship belongs to someone very important.
Classic Lando!

This was a fun story with some exciting and tense parts. The side characters were interesting and had depth too. My favourite was the Ugnaught scholar Korin Pers.

Nice art by Alex Maleev, but the colours by Paul Mounts were better.
Profile Image for Ari Pérez.
Author 2 books62 followers
October 20, 2015
What a refreshing ride. No way this was only a miniseries, it needs moar! I've always liked Maleev's art since Daredevil and Spider-Woman, and he still delivers. I don't care much for Lando in general, but with good writing I can like any character and this is what Soule accomplished, he really fleshed him out. Even though you know Lando has to survive, there is still tension in the story and you want to see how he uses his head (or his charm) to get out of a problem. Some interesting secondary characters and plot-wise, it gives context to Lobot and his relationship to Lando. Plus, some Sith knowledge. The best so far of the new canon comics.
Profile Image for Jerry.
4,617 reviews54 followers
March 29, 2017
A good space opera yarn with excellent artwork.
Profile Image for Max Washington.
76 reviews10 followers
July 10, 2018
Very cool!! Great writing and wonderful artwork. soule has a wacky sense of humor, as we’ve seen in the brilliant series curse words. That humor shows up here and there in Lando.
There are some interesting and creepy scenes concerning sith stuff.
And Some nice insights into lando’s past and personality.
Profile Image for Max.
Author 136 books2,086 followers
Read
May 15, 2016
Charles Soule kills it. It was the dialogue that blew me away, here: I can hear Billy Dee Williams' voice behind every line out of Lando's mouth. I don't know how Soule accomplished this particular bit of ventriloquism, but I'm really happy that he did.

Excellent art, too.
Profile Image for Jakub Kvíz.
299 reviews39 followers
March 25, 2019
Star Wars side story no. 4, so I'll make this short.

Lando needs a big score and he's going to steal a ship from the Empire but he's not aware that the ship belongs to Palpatine himself so shit will hit the fan instantly.

Okay story, nice art by Alex Maleev and interesting cast of supporting characters.

Again, if you are SW enthusiast you will like it, if not focus on the main series and the Vader one.
Profile Image for Matěj Komiksumec.
324 reviews18 followers
December 6, 2020
Upřímně jsem se nudil, přestože mám Landa fakt rád tak příběh je utahaný a vcelku o ničem. Všechny postavy jsou nezajímavé a nějak jsem neměl o ně strach a ani se nedozvíme jak vlastně celý příběh skončil protože skončí dost zvláštně? Jen kresba byla boží protože Maleev je velmi dobrý což i tady prokázal. Jinak velká zbytečnost.
Profile Image for Frédéric.
1,041 reviews40 followers
September 20, 2017
As charismatic (read visually appealing) and vain (read thin plotted) as Lando this book is rather an agreeable if not profound read.

To pay his debts Lando steals a ship that happens to be a personal items of Palpatine himself. Tough luck. Especially considering what's inside the ship.

Well, we all know Lando will make it alive-the action takes place before The empire strikes back-and patiently wait to know how he'll sweet-talk his way out of this. Decently plotted but I will probably forget it in about ten minutes.

Actually the most interesting part of the book is Lobot.

Lobot who? most of you will ask. That's the weird bald guy tailing Lando in ESB. Seems like he's more than the android I thought he was and Soule-who still has to prove me he can write a really good book- does a nice job with him. The end is somehow poignant.

Artwise Alex Maleev does a good job, not above and beyond the call of duty, but very pleasant. To be honest I'll give my award of choice to Paul Mounts: his color are a major addition to the great visual aspect of the book.

All in all, if you're a hard-core Star Wars buff you won't miss this one. If not, you shouldn't be disappointed but shouldn'the be too enthralled either. The point is to determine how much you liked Billy Dee Williams in the movies.
Profile Image for Christine.
6,527 reviews468 followers
September 4, 2017
I love Star Wars, I do, even though in the films the world building lacks the depth of Star Trek. My favorite character was always Leia, but Lando was a close second. I always wanted them to get together. I mean, do you think Lando would turn out like Han did?

Anyway, this is Lando's adventures after losing the Falcon and before he gets Cloud City. In fact, it seems to be the push for Lando to get Cloud City and to take care of the people there (like Leia, he lost his home).

It's a fun read, if not particularly deep in some areas. Nice use of women. I also quite frankly like the reversal of the black man who scarfices himself so the white hero can learn something. That was cool.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Robert.
1,370 reviews94 followers
January 10, 2017
A lot of fun!
Kind of relies on the "It's a Small Galaxy After All..." Syndrome that bedevils Star Wars fiction in general, but Soule's characterization of Lando was spot on, and humour was used with a deft touch.
I didn't much care for the Black Panther wannabe twins' design, seemed kind of lazy, but all-in-all good writing and effective art made this one worthwhile.
Profile Image for Ondra Král.
1,346 reviews111 followers
February 13, 2021
Tuctové neurazí/nenadchne.
Druhé čtení jsem si stále užil. S Landem se tu hezky pracuje a potěšil zvrat kolem drsňáckého lovce odměn. Bohužel, kazí to jistý ošklivý nepěkná věc, která nemá jasná pravidla a Soule si ji ohýbá dle potřeby.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 439 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.