Start by marking “Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon (Star Wars #2)” as Want to Read:
Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon (Star Wars #2)

Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon

(Star Wars (2015) #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  3,482 Ratings  ·  344 Reviews
Luke continues his quest to learn about the Jedi by heading for the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. But when his lightsaber is stolen, he soon finds himself entrapped and imprisoned! Will his friends come to his aid before hes forced to enter the Arena of Death? Meanwhile, Han and Leia are confronted by an unexpected foe. The Imperials are closing in on them, and they were set o ...more
Published January 26th 2016 by Marvel Comics

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars, Vol. 2

Alejandro
The new Canonic Star Wars comics keep truly great!

I got this storyarc on its single comic book issues but I chose to make the review using this TPB edition to make a better overall review. The story is set after the events of “Star Wars IV: A New Hope” but before the events of “Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back”. This TPB edition contains the issues #7-12 from the title of “Star Wars” in its new Marvel Canonic run.

Creative Team:

Writer: Jason Aaron

Illustrators: Simone Bianchi & Stuart Im
Kemper
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Remember this exchange from the original Star Wars?

Han: Let him have it. It’s not wise to upset a Wookiee.

C-3PO: But sir. Nobody worries about upsetting a droid.

Han: That’s ‘cause a droid don’t pull people’s arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that.

C-3PO: I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2. Let the Wookiee win.

It turns out that Han was absolutely right because there’s several scenes in this collection that make it very clear that Chewbacca is one b
Bradley
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm impressed! That wasn't just a bit of pandering to the nostalgia. There was an actual creative story in there! Wow! It makes me believe there's still someone alive out there who's making good Star Wars stuff! Yay!

(Yes, I am going to go watch the new Star Wars movie this weekend. Am I preparing to adjust my expectations after watching Eps 1-6 recently? Yeah. Am I still a geekboy enraptured in his geekdom? Yeah. Yeah, I am.)

Seriously. This story was pretty damn cool and I want to continue readi
Gianfranco Mancini

I really hated for good the Han's wife sub-plot, storyline was just as not good as first volume, but Bianchi/Immonen's artworks were just over the top here.
And the arena lightsaber-battle-royale fight scene was a real blast.

Dimitris
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Like the first volume, Star Wars :Showdown on the Smuggler’s Moon is also an action-packed, epic space adventure propelled by energy and enthusiasm. That’s fine with me!There is also a tale from Obi-Wan's past.Hell yeah!
Sam Quixote
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, the second volume of Jason Aaron’s Star Wars run sees the core group fractured. Luke has picked up Obi-Wan’s journal from Tatooine and is trying to reach the Jedi Temple on Coruscant at the heart of the Empire - a journey that only the most daring smugglers of Nar Shaddaa can help him with. Meanwhile, Han and Leia bump into a bounty hunter intent on turning them over to the Empire. Oh and she claims to be Han’s wife too!

I liked the first Marve
Paul E. Morph
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
While there's still a lot to love about this second volume of Marvel's new Star Wars comic (Dengar's in it; what more could you want?) I have to completely honest and say I didn't enjoy it as much as the first volume.

I'm not quite sure why... Maybe it had something to do with the whole newspaper-headline-grabbing 'Han Solo's wife' business coming to such an unsatisfying conclusion... Maybe it just bothers me that some of the story elements are trying to be bigger and better than the story elemen
Anthony
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: star-wars
This Star Wars book is so fun and Immonen is so under appreciated as an artist. He gets the character faces and body language perfectly and his big wide shots like space scenes and planet establishing shots look great.

I saw a tweet saying this is going to be the thing that will make Luke Skywalker cool - I'm leaning towards agreeing with that opinion.
Sesana
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
Jason Aaron knows what he's doing here. I loved the first volume of his Star Wars, and while this one isn't quite as amazing, it's still really, really good. It still has the same sense of adventure that I hope for from anything related to Star Wars. Luke actually gets to be really cool, even if he's also as naive as I'd expect him to be. Sana is a great new character, though I doubt we'll ever see her again. She's fun, and it's great to see somebody consistently get the better of Han, at least ...more
Scott
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quality follow-up / sequel to Skywalker Strikes, this volume was also fast-moving and fun. For starters, it provided a brief glimpse of what Ben Kenobi was doing between Vader's rise to power and Leia's "you're my only hope" message. Then it quickly jumps back into the story-line from the first volume. I especially liked the unlikely duo who set out on a rescue mission for Huttese-hostage Luke, Leia's trademark courage under fire (" This is a princess?" exclaims a stormtrooper-pilot dodging her ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

It's new Star Wars - and it's awesome.

Seriously.

I don't know what else to say without spoiling it. We are still between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. The characters are spot on - and the art is easy on the eyes.

It's freaking Star Wars. Just read it.

Allie
Awwwwwesome. Pure awesomeness. My favorite Star Wars comic so far.

I loved seeing Obi-Wan again, and the circumstances surrounding him. I loved meeting Grakkus the Hutt, who is a buffer version of Jabba and walks around on many robotic legs. Yep, it's cool. I loved the art. I loved the story. I cannot wait for more!

Ps: Am I the only one who thinks that the cover of Luke looks like Ricky Schroder?

#iamsuchasuckerforstarwars
Roxanne
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a lot of fun to read and i just love han shouting 'she's not my wife' like 50 times his character is spot on!

The artwork is amazing and everything is just on point, definitely worth picking up if you like star wars!
Bookwraiths
Another great installment in the series. Yes, it continues the fun SW story with the original cast, but what’s really great is how logical and seamlessly the plot fits into the Star Wars lore. I’m amazed at how the creative team has added all these nuances to the ongoing tale leading up to The Empire Strikes Back without screwing anything up. Just a great series so far.
Bhanuj
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There will be “blood and lightsabers“. If you are planning to read this volume, be advised to fasten your seat belts, as this epic adventure in a galaxy far far away will keep you on the edge of your seat through and through.

This volume collects issues #7-12.

Luke Skywalker struggles as he has no one to guide him through his jedi training. The uncertainties brings him to tatootine where he finds Ben Kenobi’s journal. The journal (issue #7) tells Luke of the vacillations and struggles of a man, pr
Lata
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Marginally better than volume 1, though Luke is still really dumb, and Han spends all his time whining. Leia gets to be tough, a little, while Artoo and Chewie actually get to save people. And Sana I liked, but will we see her again? There's actually an interesting Hutt here, who's not the same as evil bikini Jabba. I liked his prosthetics.
Richard Dragon
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Love the art and the adventure. I have a thing about non Jedi wielding lightsabers. I dislike it immensely. However I was happy to see Leia use one. Very nice.
Matthew
To check out all my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: I read the individual comics.

When I first read the Star Wars comics I was excited because it was the first time that I invested my time towards a particular franchise now that we have the new canon and for the most part it was a great series. I would say awesome but after reading this volume it raised the stakes higher and I believe it was the perfect set up for Vader Down crossover that I couldn't believe this was epic
Frédéric
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, star-wars
A typical plot totally enhanced by awesome art.

If you ever wondered what Ben Kenobi had been doing on Tatooine for years the answer is here and rather disappointing. Nothing. Logical if you consider he's been doing his best to stay under the Empire's radar but not very thrilling. He apparently used his spare time to write some memories in which Luke hopes to find useful advice in his quest to become a Jedi. Good luck with that! This first issue is illustrated by Simone Bianchi, good but not at h
Quentin Wallace
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it

Another great Star Wars volume! I didn't like it quite as much as the first, but still enjoyed it. As in the first volume, there were several cool moments. Dengar Vs. Chewbacca and Han, Leia and Chewbacca all using lightsabers were memorable moments. Also a story showing some of Kenobi's early days on Tatooine. The series is still filling in the space between New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, and still very cool.

I don't have anything against the expanded universe, but it just can't comp
Chad
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Star Wars comics have been kicking the Star Wars books asses since they switched to the new continuity. Great art, fun stories. This volume starts with a solo tale featuring Obi-Wan and his life on Tatooine. Following that Luke decides to go to the Smuggler's Moon for help sneaking on to Coruscant and falls into trouble with a hutt. Han and Leia deal with Sana and her revelation that she's married to Han.
Diz
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This turned out to be better than I expected. There's an interesting story about Obi-wan on Tatooine to start, and then it gets into the main story in which Leia gets involved in a love triangle with Han, and Luke confronts a collector of Jedi artifacts. Leia in particular is really well characterized. The art is quite good too. It's worth a read for Star Wars fans.
Jordan Lahn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Marvel's Star Wars comic continues to be a fun romp. Interesting to see stuff pop up that threatens to contradict the newly established canon, only to reinforce it instead (eg. the fate of the Jedi Temple).
Brendan
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
it's interesting for the connections but not the great second book after the first. I think the Star Wars world was rocked too much by the purchase by Disney. We have all these new bridging storylines that are from the new creation by Disney. I don't know how much flexibility they have with the storytelling but this was quite disappointing after the strong first book in the series. The Kenobi arc was interesting but the rest wasn't as much.
Ivy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Star Wars
5 stars

Nice to see Luke, Leia, and Han again. Also nice to see Chewbacca and the others. Good to know that Han isn't married. Glad that Luke was okay. Obi-Wan's tale was cool. There's always light in the darkness.

Can't wait to read Star Wars: Rebel Jail!!!!
James Beach
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously, first the EU was better than the actual movies and now the canon "other stuff" is better.
Robert
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shry'Wook review:

HrrrrrrrrrrrAwwwwnghrrrrrrraWwwNgh!
Ross Alon
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know if it adds anything to the Star Wars mythology. But it is a nice sold action story.
Nice art, nice story telling
Donovan
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it

A really great follow up. We (who haven't read any of the novels) finally learn what Obi Wan did on Tatooine. (Seriously, why doesn't he have a standalone title?) R2D2 and Luke meanwhile are going to Nar Shaddaa, the Smuggler's Moon, to learn the whereabouts of the Jedi Temple for knowledge on becoming a Jedi. Han and Leia are hiding out from the Empire when Sana Solo barges in. And Chewbacca and C3P0 have been separated from the rest and work their way back to Han and Leia. A typical but exciti
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets (Star Wars: Darth Vader #2)
  • Star Wars: Lando (Star Wars)
  • The Last Padawan (Star Wars: Kanan, #1)
  • Shattered Empire (Star Wars)
  • Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Chewbacca (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars, Volume 1: In the Shadow of Yavin
  • Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (Star Wars)
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi, Volume 2: Prisoner of Bogan
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Vol. 6: Vindication (Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, #6)
  • Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison
  • Star Wars: Rebel Heist
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h ...more

Star Wars (2015) (9 books)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes (Star Wars, #1)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 3: Rebel Jail (Star Wars #3)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 4: Last Flight of the Harbinger (Star Wars #4)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 5: Yoda's Secret War (Star Wars #5)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 6: Out Among the Stars (Star Wars #6)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 7: The Ashes of Jedha (Star Wars #7)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 8: Mutiny at Mon Cala (Star Wars, #8)
  • Star Wars, Vol. 9: Hope Burns (Star Wars, #9)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)