Start by marking “The Hunter and the Wild Girl” as Want to Read:
The Hunter and the Wild Girl

The Hunter and the Wild Girl

A feral girl roams the dense forests of nineteenth-century France, stealing food from remote farmyards and avoiding human contact. Seen on one of her thieving missions in the village of Freyzus, she is chased by suspicious townspeople to the edge of a deep gorge, where she jumps and disappears, vanishing into village legend.

On the other side of the gorge, in an abandoned e
Published September 1st 2015 by Goose Lane Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Hunter and the Wild Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hunter and the Wild Girl

Tessa Floreano
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a gift from a curated service my sister used. The book is beautifully presented, from the cover to the end papers, and deckled edges of the paper itself. Holdstock's prose is stunning. The story haunting. Many of the characters will stay with me a long time. The hunter is besieged with grief and the wild girl is an enfant sauvage. The two come together in an unexpected way and weave in and out of each others' life. Interestingly, the author chose not to use punctuation fo ...more
Annette Summerfield
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I had a hard time with all the dead animals..lol. I understand why he was working as a taxidermist but I still had to skip some of the parts of killing these animals. Plus the wild girl bites into the chicken and eating bugs. Don't eat while reading this book.
It is a sad story. As well as haunting. It has a dramatic, gothic feel to it. A girl raised by Wolves. A man having his son's body moved and living alone near his grave. This creates fear and superstition in the little village nearby.
This
Stephanie
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A small rural village, a hermit taxidermist undone by grief, and a feral girl come together. What results is a moving story about moving past the things that keep us stuck and what it means to be human.
Joanna Hodgson Spivey
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Sensitively crafted characters that I could understand and feel for. Every word was placed so skilfully so as to make it easy to read and to bring to life with imagination.
Sara Monk
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
First of all, I have to say I loved the appearance, and the quality of the book; it has beautiful pages, and font.
Now as for the content - I felt that this was a haunting tale. This is a remarkable story of one going through remorse and the confines of their life that they have created for themselves; and of another who is free as a bird from societies expectations and norms. Unknowest to them, that when their paths cross, it will alter their lives forever. This book is a reminder to stop livin
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
Thank you to Goose Lane for sending us a copy of The Hunter and the Wild Girl. I had anticipated this new novel from Pauline Holdstock ever since reading Into the Heart of the Country. The Hunter and the Wild Girl was a little too quiet and dry for me at this time. I think I picked it up at the wrong time. It's also written using this perfunctory and impersonal voice and I couldn't get past the persistent use throughout describing the "wild girl" simply as "the girl".
Tricia Dower
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written in a fable-like style. While I enjoyed it all, the novel was most alive for me when the wild girl was in the scene. Holdstock does an amazing job of imagining what reality must've been like for a child without language who seemed to have survived in the wild on her own for a very long time. I'm am in awe of the author's talent.
Kb
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: dnf, under-half
Reading about grief and madness is itself grievous and maddening. The book is well-written, but I can't finish it. Despite interesting depictions of village life in France at some undetermined time in the past, the sadness in this book is overwhelming and I need to escape into lighter fare.
Jill harris
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't normally go for books of this type, but the cover caught my attention and I thought I would give it a try. This book was surprisingly good. Well written, and had my attention throughout. Glad I have it a shot.
Anne
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
An interesting novel. It is referred to as a "fairy tale", and I totally get that. Everything seems so ephemeral and it is hard to tell if you're reading a story as told by somebody there, or a story that was passed down three or four times. Definitely enjoyable.
Mcintoshgerri
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Jennifer Gyuricska
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful writing, a bit of a deliciously creepy story, but I tripped over some of the logic, or lack thereof.
Delia
Aug 28, 2016 added it
The story started slow for me, but it built and built until I couldn't put it down. It is a modern fairy tale, full of allusions. Beautifully written.
Jaclyn
Oct 17, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
I'm giving up on this book. It's beautifully designed and there's a lyricism to Holdstock's writing that I think will captivate some readers. It's just not for me.
Justine Lewkowicz
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Check out my review here: http://www.newstalk1010.com/blog/just...
Natalie

• This Marlowe
  • Into That Darkness
  • Life Is About Losing Everything
  • Tell (Grania, #2)
Pauline Holdstock is a Canadian citizen who has lived in Canada for over thirty years. She writes novels, short fiction and essays. Her books have been published in the U.K, the U.S., Brazil, Portugal, Australia and Germany, as well as in Canada, where CBC’s 'The Arts Tonight' has featured her work.

Pauline’s short fiction has appeared in numerous literary magazines.

The Hunter And The Wild Girl, W