Start by marking “A Murder at Armageddon: A Judas Thomas Mystery (The Judas Thomas Mysteries Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Read Book

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  19 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The scribe Shemuel ben Yahayye sat down heavily in the dust, hearing a waterfall that didn’t exist....

A new mystery novel by Neil Douglas-Klotz, author of Prayers of the Cosmos and The Sufi Book of Life.

First century CE, Roman Palestine:
Yehuda Tauma believes he’s found his lucky break when he finds a valuable pearl on the floor of the temple of Jerusalem where he works
Published June 30th 2015 by ARC Books (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Murder at Armageddon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Murder at Armageddon

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of A Murder at Armageddon: A Judas Thomas Mystery (The Judas Thomas Mysteries Book 1)
Daniel Bacon
Nov 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not really a murder mystery as much as a window into Roman occupied Palestine. The author imagines an underground resistance in Galilee to Roman rule. Not much actual resistance, however, and little suspense. Still, it’s a vivid depiction of that time and place.
Susan Slack
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite aspect of “A Murder at Armageddon” is that I gained a whole new perspective on pre-Christian Jewish culture and life as it might have been in the middle east in the first century CE. AKA Chisti (pen name) brings us into a world that research shows, was at the time of several Jewish people we have heard of lived such as John the Baptist, and the several opposing groups and their stiffening positions. What is fascinating is how and what he shows us about these opposing groups.

My other
Christoph Fischer
This historical mystery concerns a ‘scribe’ and his ‘bodyguard’ in the 1st Century, trying to solve a murder. Not only do they receive help via visions from the deceased man, they also move in some spiritual circles and shed light on Jewish life under Roman occupation. This subtle blend of genres with mystic elements works surprisingly well.

Given the author’s academic credentials, it is no wonder that the historical, social, cultural and religious aspects of the story are convincing and
Kme_17
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, uno2016
I received this as a first read. I found this interesting. the mystery in this book is highly satisfying. I also found the look into Jewish culture was very cool. I found this especially cool in this historical time period. Will continue on with this series.
Diana
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read many historic novels but this one has a mystery that wants you to read to the end. I received this book through Goodreads Giveaway.
Elaine
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The author is a Middle Eastern, Aramaic scholar. I think he should stick with that.
Neil Douglas-Klotz
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Carol
Jun 10, 2019
julia skrdlant
Jan 18, 2020
Neil Douglas-Klotz
Jul 15, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Katrina Mcghee
Claire
moving from non-fiction to a novel 2 4 Jul 20, 2015 05:37AM

• Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Rumpole and the Golden Thread
  • The Pillars of the Earth (Kingsbridge, #1)
  • Ordinary Grace