Start by marking “The Tutor” as Want to Read:
The Tutor

The Tutor

Gothic romance with a twist.

Elements of The Sound of Music, The Enchanted Garden, Jane Eyre, and “true” ghost hunting shows make this story feel familiar. Gay love makes it unique.

Seeing an ad for a position at a Yorkshire estate, typesetter Graham Cowrie decides to make an upward career move by passing himself off as a tutor. How hard can it be to teach a few subjects
Kindle Edition, 1st, 213 pages
Published July 21st 2015 by Bonnie Dee

To ask other readers questions about The Tutor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tutor

Start your review of The Tutor
Nick Pageant
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, m-m
Take one part Jane Eyre, one part The Turn of the Screw, and one part Wuthering Heights. Throw in a few extra penises and you've got this wonderful example of Gothic Horror with a m/m twist. Congrats to Bonnie Dee for getting this so, so right. Great story!
Eda**
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it

** 4 “now I see a light in you” STARS **

There was nothing I craved more than the sight of Sir Richard Allinson kneeling at my feet, but just then I wanted him in my embrace even more.

An odd and unexpected feeling.

~ GRAHAM

description

Yorkshire, England, 1893

When Graham Cowrie arrived at the dark and foreboding Allinson Hall, he couldn’t help but be nervous about his new job of being a tutor to the 9-year-old twin boys, Whitney and Clive, who lost their mother Lavinia Allinson a year ago. Getting the
~Mindy Lynn~
I was really looking forward to this one and unfortunately it just didn't do it for me.

The first half of the book kind of dragged for me and I was getting a little bored. But I am not that huge of a fan of historical reads so this could have been why. The second half was much more entertaining.

I was hoping for a spooky tale but it just wasn't. I didn't find it scary at all and the scenes that were suppose to be creepy came off as cheesy and I just wasn't really feeling it. I was hoping for a
Tess
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing

[Re-read Sept 2016 ... still love this one!!]

This has the gothic spookiness of a Jane Eyre (without begin as sombre) with a twinge of The Sound of Music (without the singing and the Nazis and the Baroness!) but there's no governess in sight, only a supremely likeable tutor.

Graham is working his way up in life. He's created a new identity, and forged a few references, to land a job as tutor to nine-year old twin boys in a desolate estate in Yorkshire. Sir Richard is the father of said
CrabbyPatty
I was a big fan of Victoria Holt way-back-when, and this plot (at least on the surface) reads like one of hers - young governess travels to a rundown, dark and foreboding castle in the middle of nowhere to take care of children, while the brooding, gorgeous widower remains mysterious and aloof, and there's a mystery surrounding the wife's death.

Set in Yorkshire England, 1893, Graham Cowrie arrives at Allison Hall to tutor Richard Allison's 9-year-old twin sons, Whitney and Clive. Graham, who
Emma Sea
"There was something about the library that always seemed to put us on the verge of kissing."

Kade Boehme
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gah this book! Perfection. Gothic M/M perfection. Bonnie Dee is so ridiculously talented. I loved every minute of this.

Heidi
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
New author for me. A bit reminiscent of KJ Charles or Jordan L Hawk, not quite as gritty though. A good ghost hunting gothic tale with likeable main characters.

Meep
The promise of Jane Eyre drew me to this book. I love the classic and have also read my fair share of gothic romances.

I did enjoy it to a point but unfortunately for all it's potential it didn't quite work. From about 40% I'd lost my inital interest and as the supernatural plot developed I was more bored than thrilled.

Graham isn't entirely sympathetic, we know he's lying and it seems more self-serving than necessity. He's not had things easy but there's a hint of blasé about him. A lack of
Argona
I’m a big fan of Gothic and horror stories, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. Being a big fan of Jane Eyre and classics, I was even prepared for a formulaic story. I'm sorry to say that I quickly lost interest in this so-called Gothic tale.

The story was boring and dragged a lot. The supernatural mystery wasn’t well-developed and I found it disappointing. I couldn’t connect with the main characters at all. Graham’s character was more likeable but Richard was rather useless,
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Price drop to $0.99 at Amazon US, 10/18/15
Christelle
Graham, under false references that he forged himself for getting an opportunity to rise from his station, gets a job as a tutor of two nine-year-old twins living in an isolated and sinister castle. And right from the start, he is intrigued by the twins, their father and the gloomy atmosphere.

This book didn’t work for me. First, I didn’t feel any chemistry between the MCs. I even felt more feels between Graham and the twins than between Graham and Richard, that said a lot :-(
Add to the fact
Heather C
“I was Graham Cowrie, tutor extraordinaire and now Sherlock Holmes of the north.”

It has been several months since a book has grabbed my attention as quickly as The Tutor…I never even finished the blurb when I knew I needed to read this book as soon as possible.

Throughout all my years of reading, I’ve always had a fondness for haunted house stories. The creepier the better. There was nothing I loved more than sitting in my darkened house with a low lit lamp and a book that could scare the
Bonnie Dee
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
I wrote it and on editing I still really liked it. Thought it was just the sort of thing I'd read if it were written by someone else.
Reflection
Oct 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book is cheesy and formulaic and was a struggle to read. Frankly, it felt as historical as yesterday's newspaper.

Told in the first person by a character who certainly appears to think of himself as charming and irresistible, but whom I found to be tedious.

I felt I was wasting my life on an entirely unengaging protagonist, who attained his job as a tutor by deceitful means and continued to fly by the seat of his pants while attempting to ingratiate himself with the household:
...“I thought
Pjm12
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is dark, spooky with gothic elements, and that's all done well. But what else is done well that no one seems to have mentioned is the sexual tension between Graham and his employer, Richard. They take a while to get their smexy on, and the attraction sparks.

The two boys are great company and Tom adds a nice dimension.

It's all from Graham's viewpoint, so Richard appears mysterious and forbidding. Graham's personality comes through eventually - initially he behaves how he thinks he should,
Verity
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really entertaining read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's spooky, well-paced, the MC's have great chemistry and Ms Dee sure knows how to write a sexy love scene.
I knocked off a star because I was a tad disappointed with the mystery side, which wasn't much of a mystery at all. From pretty early on you could predict the outcome and the conclusion.
I was lacking that shock factor, an interesting twist, that I expect from a good scary gothic romance.
Em
I was in the mood for a spooky paranormal and this one hit the spot. It was a bit corny at times but I really didn't mind, it was fun and enjoyable, with just a touch of angst. Graham and Sir Richard were a hot couple once they got going and I'm glad they got their happy ever after!
Amy Spector
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute treat this was! :D

We have a tainted house, an unnerving pair of twins and the brooding Lord of the manor.

I love the POV, the slow building of the story and the wonderfully sinister atmosphere. Bonnie Dee does a wonderful job of building the world we are dropped into.

Diverse
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2015
I’m not one for historical books but this one caught my eye! It’s a gothic love story. One built on great mystery, forbidden love, and the supernatural. What’s not to love? It was an absolutely thrilling ride. Following the story on Graham’s POV, we see him arrive as the tutor of twin boys Clive and Whit, hired by their widowed father Sir Richard. With the closing of the estates doors Graham’s scary journey of death, mystery, and darkness begin. But love conquers all and finding it is a journey ...more
Danny Tyran
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-have-one
I'm not the usual reader of gothic stories. Nor a reader of horror stories filled with ghosts. Therefore, maybe I was not made to really appreciate this book.

It's pretty much the typical gothic story, but with a male protagonist. Contrarily to the shy maiden, the MC is particularly proud of himself.
"Apparently my charm would do nothing for me here in this grim house..."

His "charm" didn't do for me either.

And the story was very predictable and not at all spooky.

The only part a little interesting
Chelsea
This was a really good mystery, nice and scary! Albeit a slightly predictable ending. The second half was definitely better, I read that in 3 hours and it took 3 days to get through the first half. It wasn't bad, just didn't grab my attention as I would've liked.

I really liked Whit and Clive and actually enjoyed reading about them. Graham was one of those characters that is positively cheerful despite his life experiences, which went well with tragic, conflicted Richard, however I didn't feel
Maria
This was so damn good! A true gothic romance with some elements of horror thrown in at the end. The mm twist? Refreshingly wonderful and totally, believably cool. I loved every second reading this book. A great story by an exceptional writer. Thank you! The slump is over!!!
B
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent from beginning to end!!
Highly recommend it if you like Mm romance and paranormal stories.
Manfred
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I am not sure whether I liked this or not. Guess it was an okay read for me, even though it started really really slow (like falling asleep during reading slow...) However, there were a lot of things that I just didn't like, starting with the really strange ghost story that was happening at the mansion. I am usually a big fan of Regency, but this one did not convince.
Many things did not make sense, starting with a tutor who's unconventional methods would be acceptable today but definitely not
K
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Historical story set in Victorian England towards the end of the 19th Century (despite the look of that suit on the cover)
Graham forges references and applies for the position of tutor to twin boys in a typically foreboding bleak house on the Yorkshire moors. The boys are truamatised by the death of their mother, with Clive not talking at all, and their father is distant, leaving them in the care of the very limited staff. Graham and Richard clash over the boys education, but have similar tastes
Milica
Jul 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I really don't know if I should give this book 1 star or 5 stars 'cause, without even intending to,author made me laugh like I didn't in a long time while reading a book. So...I settled on rating it 3 stars.

Things I liked - setting of the story (after seeing every ecranisation of Jane Eyre ever made,I had no problem visualising eerie atmosphere of a castle with its haunted corridors and rooms) and Graham. He had his good momments...

Now,on to the things I didn't like. Sometimes Graham reminded me
Janeylou
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 0000-sh-recs
Tj
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Toss Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Fall of the House of Usher, and Hitchcock into a blender and you get The Tutor.

Sir Richard is the tall dark handsome brooding tragic estate owner. Graham is the poor tutor from the wrong side of the tracks who breaths new life into the old mansion. He brings laughter to the children and love and passion to Richard.

Ah... but this would not be a good gothic read without the spooky drafty dark manor house that is steeped in history, the tragic death of the
Diane Dannenfeldt
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-200_pgs, m-m
3.5 stars. Thank you Stacy for picking, and lending, this book for the Feb challenge. Normally I do not like historical books as you have to hide your sexuality & I hate that. But given that there is a paranormal aspect to the book that helped out a great deal. My only question would be is that Clive was basically angry at his father & blamed him for his mother's death and would really talk to anyone. As the story progressed he was more withdrawn and angry at everyone. Then when the ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Physical Therapy (St. Nacho's #2)
  • St. Nacho's (St. Nacho's, #1)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • Treasure
  • All I Believe (Firsts and Forever, #10)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • His Consort
  • A Case of Christmas
  • Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne #1)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Fair Play (All's Fair, #2)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
I began telling stories as a child. Whenever there was a sleepover, I was the designated ghost tale teller. I still have a story printed on yellow legal paper in second grade about a ghost, a witch and a talking cat.

I enjoy dabbling in many genres. Whether you're a fan of contemporary historical or fantasy romance, you'll find something to enjoy among my books. I'm interested in flawed, often
“The weight of time and history felt profound in the quiet night in a tiny chapel with several wooden pews and a granite altar. If I were a religious man, someplace like this might move me to speak with God.” 0 likes