Start by marking “Milagroso” as Want to Read:
Milagroso

Milagroso

Marty always believed the lab-grown foods he helped produce were miraculous. But in his childhood home of Lucban, real miracles are occurring: artificial food is being transformed into delicious, sustaining produce. As he visits the home he left behind, the vibrant and colorful festival jerks him into a past he both hungers for and wants to forget.

At the Publisher's reques
Published August 12th 2015 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Milagroso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Milagroso

Start your review of Milagroso
karen
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it

He remembers thinking, It can’t be a miracle, because we’ve already INVENTED the miracle.

science, nature, and religion all weigh in on the matter of food. in this near-future philippines, natural food'll kill ya, with all of its diseases and toxins, while bioengineered food is safe and oh-so-delicious, just like real food! i mean, listen to this:

Marty takes a bite of the roasted chicken. It’s delicious. He feels a swell of pride. He helped make these things. Not directly—that was the research te
Melki
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-fiction, eating
“Real food! Real food! Real veggies, real fruit!”

Imagine - food created in a lab that is healthy, safe and won't make you fat.

Marty remembers the great glass houses they passed on their way to Lucban, lining the fields stretched beneath Mt. Banahaw. Piles of corn and rice, endless rows of pineapple and root crop, stewing in their meticulously engineered domes, more delicious than nature could ever make them. Simply more than God could ever make them.

Would you even miss the real stuff?

Aling Merri
Erika
Sep 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
i didn't get it ...more
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Como será a nossa alimentação no futuro? Já deve ter passado pelas nossas cabeças entender como a indústria alimentícia vai manter as necessidades da população ao mesmo tempo em que imagina uma forma mais saudável para que elas se manifestem. Viveremos de sementes, de comidas orgânicas ou os alimentos serão mais práticos assim como nossos pratos de macarrão instantâneo de todos os dias? Isabel Yap cria uma narrativa muito interessante ao se questionar sobre o que é melhor: um alimento natural e ...more
anna
Jan 23, 2021 rated it liked it
gorgeous cover. reminds me of ishiguro's short, the gourmet re food politics and philosophy. ...more
Akkisuitok
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
[ Tor.com short fiction ]

Thought-provoking concept and competent execution, but it didn't quite come together at the end for me.
Susana
Apr 24, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Historia muy corta, futurista.

Un concepto interesante: la oportunidad de los pobres de comer, aunque sea comida artificial, en una fiesta. Los riesgos siempre son los mismos ante el hambre.
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I got too caught up in the (I'm guessing) tagalog to really enjoy the story. It took me three tries to realize that Mang Kikoy is some sort of hired hand - more than a butler but not family. And Marty's actual family (besides his wife and children) are conspicuously absent, despite his stated desire to see them.

Regardless of that, the notion of all of our food being replaced by bioengineered millet is not all that sci-fi. But I find it highly unlikely that *everything* will be replaced eventual
Marco
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This short story would fit perfectly in a (Windup Girl) Paolo Bacigalupi's anthology because of its themes and its plot. It is set in a future where all the food is lab grown and lab produced. Then, one day, something unexpected starts occurring: during a religious procession, the lab grown food is turned into the real one. The "miracle" deeply shakes the faith in science of Marty, and brings up back long forgotten memories from his childhood.
An interesting read, I am looking forward reading mor
Kinsey_m
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-com
Interesting short about a future where no natural foods are available and have been substituted by engineered food which is almost, but not quite, as good as the real thing. The action takes place during a traditional festival in the Philippines. My only complaint is that it is quite confusing, at least to begin with, provably due to my lack of knowledge about the culture in the Philippines, but a bit more inobstrusive explanation would have gone a long way in improving the story.
Maggie Gordon
A quick and focused look at human reactions to food politics in the future. How would people feel about "real" food when we have access to perfectly safe, expertly balanced, manufactured food? Is artificial something we can easily get behind? Throw in some unexplained miracles and you have the beginnings of an interesting story. I would love to see this one expanded into a novel. ...more
Amy
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
The story gives an interesting look at food in the future. Real food, with all its health issues, vs. vat-grown totally-safe artificial stuff.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it liked it
I fear this world is not very far away.
Barbara
Mar 19, 2021

• Finnegan's Field
  • As Good as New
  • Some Gods of El Paso
  • Mythology (Ologies, #5)
  • Batman: White Knight
  • Batman: Curse of the White Knight
  • The De-Textbook: The Stuff You Didn't Know About the Stuff You Thought You Knew
  • The Complete Gillian Flynn: Gone Girl, Dark Places, Sharp Objects
  • Cracking the DAT (Dental Admission Test), 2nd Edition
  • The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4)
  • The Left-Handed Booksellers of London
  • Viaje al interior de una gota de sangre
  • Te pienso en el puerto
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection (Rivers of London #1.5, 1.6, 4.6, 5.65, 6.5)
  • The City Born Great
  • Midway Relics and Dying Breeds
  • Of Women and Salt
  • Sugar Skull
Isabel Yap writes fiction and poetry, works in the tech industry, and drinks lots of tea. She grew up in the Philippines, and has lived in San Francisco, the Bay Area, Boston, and London.

In 2013 she received her degree in Marketing from Santa Clara University, and also attended the Clarion Writers Workshop. In 2020 she obtained her MBA from Harvard Business School. She likes reading manga, playing