Start by marking “A Gateway to Hope” as Want to Read:
A Gateway to Hope

A Gateway to Hope

Twenty-one-year-old Neka is a bit of an introvert, she also happens to be stunningly beautiful.

When she discovers her friend James is about to be dumped, she sees the perfect opportunity to escape from her quiet life. Can she summon the courage to leave it all behind?

James Copley comes from a ruthless family. It’s rubbed off.

Years ago, he disengaged from his brother’
Published June 19th 2015 by E. C. Jackson (first published May 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about A Gateway to Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gateway to Hope

Start your review of A Gateway to Hope
Cynthia
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I were to describe this book in a short sentence, I would say it is “a non-tragic Romeo and Juliet set in modern times”. Of course it’s a simplification, but the interference of both families’ on their personal lives (particularly James’ family), the families’ considerable wealthy and power, and the theme of marriage of convenience reminded me of Shakespeare’s classical love story, which is, of course, a positive trait of this novel.
The story revolves around the dichotomy between family life
Caroline
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A Gateway to Hope” is a stunning read, occupied with ingenious descriptions that moved my heart and soul. I am so thrilled to have come across such an astounding author, as her writings within elicited empathy and faith. The experience provokes spiritual maturity, and felt Neka’s character to be an absolute blessing and a rarity to come by.

To be honest, even though this novel was written as a Christian Romance, I do believe its contents also has a purpose in supporting and building up the body
Liz Vinc
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“A Gateway to Hope,” by E.C. Jackson, is an inspirational romance with an engaging plot and a message of moving forward in the face of adversity. The story follows the optimistic, introverted 21-year-old Neka and 29-year-old James Copley; two people from very different backgrounds. When James’ fiancée leaves him the day she’s supposed to meet the family, James is in a predicament because his dad requires him to marry for him to continue to be involved with the family business. Neka steps into ...more
Michael Naylor
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gateway to Hope is an excellent debut book from E.C. Jackson. Neka and James are very well developed and fully fleshed out characters with a believable relationship that is built organically and not forced. It is refreshing to find a romance novel where the story and the relationship is not all about sex. In this book the author has not gone down the easy route of including loads of sex scenes to show their attraction to each other.

Overall this is an excellent book that had me hooked from the
patrice williams
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Not your typical romance. A deeper look into what makes a relationship work. The message is clear. Love is not enough. It takes patience, compromise and a lot of faith. This theme is brought to life by the author through her lovely heroine Nikhol and the man of her dreams, James. I really enjoyed following them on their journey with all of their ups and downs including disapproving family, business and even the jilted exes. The way the author conveys the thoughts and
Kandace
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a good read you've found it! A story of great romance without being explicit or obscene...

Congratulations E C Jackson on such an outstanding debut story! Your characters were very relatable making the book a delight to read! The changes that took place in both the hero and heroine were believable, which is a major plus in my book! It was such a sweet story, I couldn't put it down after I started reading!!! I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!
Renee
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, read-again
Neka's friends outside of her family are practically nonexistent. Her shy awkwardness makes it hard to talk to people, and her firm belief in God is off putting to those without her strong faith. Thankful for the family that surrounds and protects her, Neka still wants more. She believes God has more in store for her than the life she's living.
James grew up fighting for acceptance in his family. Shut out, mocked, and belittled for the last time, he moved to Tulsa years ago to prove them wrong.
Keila
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book! Well written....thoroughly enjoyed, and Highly recommended!
Sydney
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Gateway to Hope is E.C. Jackson’s first novel. It includes themes of past mistakes, trusting in God, a hope for the future, and lasting love. Although the ending of the story is somewhat predictable, E.C. has created characters that readers will easily relate to as read about the relationship struggles of Neka and James and relate it to their own struggles. This novel is both fun and series. Readers who enjoy contemporary romance fiction with a strong theme of dealing with relationships of ...more
Jdeb
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by E. C. Jackson held my attention from the beginning until the end. Neka and James' characters came alive in the first chapter and then captivated me throughout the story. It felt like I knew them personally and I enjoyed every twist and turn they took.

The supporting characters came across just as real as James and Neka. Encore! Can't wait until the next book. And if a movie is made, the models on the cover must play the parts.
Reginajax
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book came highly recommended and lived up to the praise. It depicted life in a modern society. Real life relationships came to mind as I read. I felt the hope of Neka and the angst of James as they tried to come to terms with their choices. Plus, protect themselves from future hurts. The rest of the characters reminded me of how we allow other people's opinions to shape our destiny.
Anna del C. Dye
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Gateway to Hope by E. C. Jackson is a beautiful story about a Christian girl that is to quiet for anyone to noticed, including her family. One day she does something out of character for her and leave town for two weeks with out telling her family before hand. Why you wonder? She is going to become engage with the guy she is in-love with to help him get his position back in his father dominion business. It all work perfectly until the get back to town and his other girlfriends try to get him ...more
Cindy
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Gateway to Hope is an incredibly well-written novel about love and the obstacles through it. The story involves the characters jumping through some hoops–like Neka’s seemingly unrequited love for James–and because of that, readers feel compelled to read on right from the beginning. I found the characters in A Gateway to Hope to be very well-rounded, with faults and quirks of their own. This adds an extra layer of realism to the story, and makes the characters really relatable. I also love how ...more
Cindy
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's rare finding a romance novel that isn't based on physical relationships. I love that this book was about an actual relationship and not sex. It's great finding a romance novel that is PG. With James about to be single Neka decides to make a move to win the heart of James who she has secretly been crushing on for years. The book covers their relationship at a nice pace that isn't to slow or to fast.

The characters had real problems, and real struggles. You feel for the characters and are
Debi Lantzer
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Gateway to Hope by E.C. Jackson is an inspirational romance story that has an engaging plot and a message of pushing through despite facing adversity. Readers learn about optimistic but introverted 21-year-old Neka and 29-year-old James Copley, who are two people from very different backgrounds. James' fiancé leaves him on the same day she is supposed to meet his family and James is stuck because his father has made it clear that the only way James can continue to be involved in the family ...more
Katie Lindsey
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Gateway to Hope follows the story of Neka and James. Neka is a 21 year old designer for her families company. She has an eye for fashion but has never seen herself as anything worth writing home about. James is a 29 year old entrepreneur who knows he is what the ladies are looking for. Their friendship has developed a lot over the past four years. It takes a whole new leap when Neka decides to jump on a plane with James, surprising him and her family, to go meet his family and help support him ...more
Betti
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
'Against all hope, Abraham in hope believed.....'
James is a self-made business man who has trouble seeing anyone else's viewpoint. Dumped by his fiancé at the airport, all his plans seem to blow up in front of him. Neka is a gorgeous young lady who always believes the best in everyone. Leaving home without letting anyone know, she steps into a world where everything changes. What follows is a story of learning to share of yourself, those deepest thoughts and feelings, as well as understanding
Melanie
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) Neka and James are very different. Neka is kind and thinks the best of others while James is a workaholic and can be controlling at times. They've known each other for four years but since they met when Neka was 17, James considered her to be too young for him. However, now James needs to get married and, when his original plan disintegrates, he believes Neka is the solution to his predicament.

I liked Neka and thought there were times that she might have been a little too trusting,
Kenderly
Good although a bit slow moving.

Truly an inspirational story, but slow moving at times. More than a few times I was not a fan of James. He appeared a bit of a power freak , as I kept reading I saw a different side of James that changed my mind. Sweet and inspiring story it was just slow in getting there.
Kai
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even though I'm not a big fan of romance novels, I enjoyed it. I loved how Neka and James vacationed in St. Louis, MO for a few weeks. I would've enjoyed it even more if the author wrote more about their time in St. Louis and the adventures they had while there. I'm looking forward to reading more from E.C. Jackson.
Angela
Jun 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an inspiring story! I just finished this author's second book, and it's even better. E C Jackson is a talented writer with a knack for developing amazing characters who become like your friends by the end of the story. Can't wait to read her next book!
Karen Graham
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the cover of this book. The book was a good read. I couldn't wait to get to the end and see how their love affair worked out. Great first book! Would love to read he author's next novel.
Chautona Havig
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
A Gateway to Hope offers a realistic perspective on love–what we know about it, who we really love, why we love someone. There are powerful lessons in the pages of the book, and I am really glad I read it.

I want to love the book itself, but something holds me back. I can’t say what. The writing is well done, with interesting and not “too perfect” characters. Hmm… that might be part of my problem. In the character of Neka, I see parallels to Elsie Dinsmore of the old 19th-century novels fame.
Deana Dick
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book from this author and I am impressed with the writing. The story is one where a person asks themselves." Am I willing to do anything for a friend?" Neka steps up to help her friend James in a very unselfish way. She decides to marry him so he can benefit in the his family business. It was quite a big step for Neka to just pick up and leave everything to follow James to announce their engagement to his family. There is a twist in the story that will present some problems. ...more
Stephanie Norton
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
You would never have known "Gateway to Hope" is E.C. Jackson's debut novel. This is a story about two people trying to figure out how to be together without losing themselves. Both of his main characters, Neka and James are well developed and relatable. Their relationship with each other is very organic.
Neka is shy and awkward making it hard for her to make friends and meet people. She is very religious.
James moved away from his family to prove them wrong. He was never felt accepted and was
Suzie Waltner
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

When Neka Lacey makes an abrupt decision, her life alters in ways she never saw coming. Within the course of a day, she leaves her family’s home, travels to another state, and finds herself engaged to her friend James. The tension in James’s family both upsets Neka and firms her resolve to stand by him.

I wasn’t a huge fan of James at first. He comes off as manipulative, steering people and situations to get the results he desires. But when the tables are turned and James finds himself
Donna C
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Neka sneaks out of her house early one morning to help a long time friend she has no idea the course her life is about to take. James has been faced with an ultimatum, bring home a wife or lose his place in his family’s company. When his fiance backs out, dumping him on the morning she is set to meet his family, James and Neka make some rash decisions that will change the lives of both families.

I really enjoyed this book. The author, E.C. Jackson kept me captivated from the first page to
Mary
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This book focuses on a romance set amid the whirlwind of administrating family businesses. Can two family enterprises combine when their children decide to unite in marriage? Multiple obstacles threaten their happiness and contentment. How can they navigate past hurts and former connections—romantic as well as other? Could such a relationship be God’s will or is it being manipulated by people? Is this a dream come true or a fading fairy tale? The story intrigued me at times, but so much of the ...more
Debbie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"A Gateway to Hope" by E. C. Jackson is a great book about what a friend will do for another friend. This is a clean love story with a twist. James must get marry to be part of his family business but his fiancee dumps his the night before he is supposed to introduce her to his family so a friend agrees to take her place.

I think I enjoyed this story mostly because it takes place in St.Louis, a city that I have been to many times and it mentions the St.Louis Ark, a landmark that I have seen and
Janice Sisemore
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Gateway to Hope

James just broke up with Teri when going home to meet his parents. Neka shows up at the airport to go with James instead. She is very caring and loves to help people out. She really wants to help James out and that is her number 1 goal.

I loved the inspirational part of the book. All the closeness of both of the families. There was a lot of business talk between the families that I did find a little boring. Even though they start as friends will it become more.

I received a
Book Giveaways: A Gateway to Hope by E.C. Jackson 2 5 Aug 23, 2015 07:56AM

• Just a Train Ride (Callie's Lifetime Collection, #1)
  • Hadassah, Queen Esther of Persia
  • Secrets & Wishes
  • Harbor Secrets (The Legacy of Sunset Cove #1)
  • The Memory House
  • Isaac's Ice Cream Tree
  • When God Made Color
  • Gone Too Soon
  • Shadow Among Sheaves
  • Moments We Forget (Thatcher Sisters #2)
  • A Dim Reflection (A Light for Christ Collection #2)
  • Danger on the Ranch (Roughwater Ranch Cowboys, #1)
  • The Governess of Penwythe Hall (Cornwall, #1)
  • Tongues of Fire Devotional: 50 Days Celebrating Pentecost
  • On a Summer Tide (Three Sisters Island #1)
  • Love's Belief
  • The Medallion
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners #3)
E. C. Jackson began her writing career with the full-length play Pajama Party. For three and a half years she published the Confidence in Life newsletter for Alpha Production Ministries, in addition to writing tracts and devotionals. Teaching a women’s Bible study at her church for eleven years naturally led to her current endeavor of writing inspirational romance novels and teen and young adult ...more