Start by marking “Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1)

Adulthood Is a Myth

(Sarah's Scribbles #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  92,917 ratings  ·  5,882 reviews
Are you a special snowflake?
Do you enjoy networking to advance your career?
Is adulthood an exciting new challenge for which you feel fully prepared?

Ugh. Please go away.

This book is for the rest of us. These comics document the wasting of entire beautiful weekends on the internet, the unbearable agony of holding hands on the street with a gorgeous guy, dreaming all day o
Published March 8th 2016 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Adulthood Is a Myth, please sign up.
Cassandra I would say the moral is that there are things in our life we do that make us wonder "Does anyone else do this too or am I being completely weird?"…moreI would say the moral is that there are things in our life we do that make us wonder "Does anyone else do this too or am I being completely weird?" and this book is a funny way of assuring you that "Yes people do that too and if you think that's weird well then at least you're not alone". That was my take from it. (less)
Marie I work at Books-A-Million and we have this title. A Barnes and Noble should have it too and there's always Amazon as well. Not sure if it's available…moreI work at Books-A-Million and we have this title. A Barnes and Noble should have it too and there's always Amazon as well. Not sure if it's available in ebook format yet or not.(less)

·  92,917 ratings  ·  5,882 reviews

Emily May
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2018

Literally my entire life.
karen
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
of the TWENTY-SEVEN books i'd read in the GR awards semifinals, this is the only one that won in its category. so congratulations, even though i don't consider this a graphic novel as such, more like a collection of unrelated cartoons better placed in the humor category, but who's gonna split genre-hairs?

photo IMG_6662_zpswaf77ern.jpg

although i'm pretty confident i have at least 10-15 years on this cartoonist, there's still so much in this book that resonated with me. which probably reflects very poorly on me - it's one th
Ariel
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am extremely tired of the word "relatable"... BUT BOY IF THERE EVER WAS A MOMEMT FOR IT!

This collection of webcomics had me actually laughing out loud, had me saying "YES!", had me pointing out page after page to my boyfriend.

It's silly and cute, but also deeply truthful to the fears and elations of people who live online. I loved it, and will definitely be picking up her second volume!
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

There were so many things I related to in this book but I'm only going to share a few.

↑ Okay, so I'm going to show y'all pictures of SOME of my stuffed animals that take over my bed (I sleep on the couch anyway) and some of my dog, Lucy's stuffed animals. WE BELIEVE IN THE STUFFED ANIMAL! WE LOVE THE STUFFED ANIMAL!

I have seriously donated garbage bag upon garbage bags of stuffed animals to the children's home though. But, my stuffed animals will always be huge. These are not even the half of t
Natalie Monroe
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This whole book is my spirit animal.

Side effects may include extreme nasal pain from snorting liquids up your nose while laughing or embarrassment from snorting very loudly in public.

ARC provided by Netgalley
MischaS_
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, comics, english
This is soo me! Creepy, creepy! I think she is a stalker! Or somehow she lives the same life like me... Someone stop that. Please!

I really liked this one. Maybe because I was not very familiar with Sarah's Scribbles before reading this one, however, after this, I'll definitely follow the author more.
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ by: Nenia ✨ Literary Garbage Can ✨ Campbell

AVAILABLE NOW!

THANK YOU, Sarah Andersen.

I mean it.

See, it seems to me lately that everyone around me has some variation of "You are an adult, you must-" sentence ready to throw it on me.

Real adults don’t read that much because when are you going to take time for making babies? (really)
Real women know how to cook/clean up everything without complaining (you don’t say)
Real women want kids, too (back off)
Real adults always wake up early (as if)
Real – *internal screaming*

*INTERLUDE*

*/INTERLUD
Nat
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Adulthood Is a Myth documents the beauty of wasting an entire weekend on the internet, the unbearable agony of holding hands on the street with a gorgeous guy, dreaming all day of getting home and back into pajamas, and wondering when, exactly, this adulthood thing begins

This book was great because it made me feel lighter while reading, but ultimately it didn't do much towards building a full picture of happiness. And I probably won't remember most of the instances after putting it down.

Will Byrnes
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
description

If you think you are exceptional, a magical person, someone whose heart is pure, and thus can do no wrong; if you have lived a life filled with success, self-confidence, good skin, clean rooms, an excellent wardrobe, top-notch grooming, and a positive outlook; if you are a person with straight teeth (all of them), thick hair, (and none sprouting in unwanted places), excellent carriage, and toned muscles, I have two things to say to you. First, please die, now. You are clearly an invading specie
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Adulthood really is a myth!
And I read this book while enjoying a Milka & Oreo chocolate.

Sarah Andersen does a great job at showing the hardships of girls and women while keeping it light and funny. It's amazing how easy I could relate to her drawings. I kept showing some of the drawings to my husband and he was impressed and could not believe someone would write about me. Especially the part about not growing up. He says that, according to Sarah Andersen, I am in my mid 20'.

Anyway, I reall
JV (semi-hiatus)
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Awkwardly relatable, comical, and quirky!

These simple scribbles by Sarah Andersen are a precious gift for the socially awkward, eccentric introverts, and voracious bookworms! If by any chance, you're all of the above, then congratulations *throws confetti*, this collection is made just for you! So grab it and give it a good go!

As someone whose attention span hasn't changed much since my kiddo days (yup, my attention span is way shorter than the average goldfish) and still fond of saccharine de
Florencia
Is adulthood an exciting new challenge for which you feel fully prepared?

Ugh. Please go away.

I was writing down some thoughts for two reviews, one of a Mishima book and the other of The Bell Jar, but at the moment, I don’t feel like dedicating so much time to that kind of introspection, since in my case, reviewing a book is almost never writing a simple summary. So I will deal with all those books next year, while focusing on other works which are also existentially complex but from a differe
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
My Rating: 5 blazing stars!

This is the first graphic novel I have ever read. I have always thought comics and graphic novels are for kids - with all the pictures and just one to two sentences and bubble texts. How wrong I was! (Yeah yeah, I accept. Don't give me those nasty looks).

And I am glad that "Adulthood is a Myth" is the one I read as my first ever graphic novel to remember it as an enjoyable experience.

Sarah Andersen is hilarious. She has created amazing cartoons illustrating the proble
C.G. Drews
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Oh this was just glorious. All bookworms and introverts NEED to read this. NEEEEED, I TELL YOU. I was just about laughing my head off in companionable fear with the author over adulthood. Adulthood is a myth. And also just ugh. I would happily sign up for a refund, okay? Ahem.

So this is a book of 100% comic strips. you've probably seen some of Sarah's Scribbles around the internet. (I have anyway.) But this has a) more, and b) it's just the kinda book you're going to want to slap in extrovert-h
Warda
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
I wasn't expecting these scribbles to be as funny and as relatable as they were. Did anyone else read this and reinforce in themselves the notion that it is okay to still be childish? Adulthood really is a myth.

I don't know why as kids we bought into the idea that being an adult is cool. Did we have this false sense of delusion that it would come with freedom and we could escape our nagging parents? Why weren't we threatened with the fact that we will be shackled to work and bills and work so w
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Never have I related to a book so strongly!
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Does the following image remind you of yourself????

If so, this is probably a book for you. While I’m 1,000 maybe not exactly the target demographic for the Sarah’s Scribbles collection, I still found Adulthood is a Myth to be nearly completely relatable and maybe that I should get a restraining order against the author because it seems like she might be stalking me.

I mean, this little diddy covered everything from my laundry habits
Tessy Ijachi
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tessy by: Ahmed Ejaz
Shelves: comic
Re-reading this just made me realise just how much I love this book, forever one of my favourites. I don't know how it's possible but I got a whole new experience reading this, even if I've read it before.

This was so fun and like so relatable. It felt like i was reading the story of my life.

You should read this book if you're a;

1. An introvert

2. A book lover

3. A human being

Needless to say, I think everyone should read this. It's fun, fast, entertaining and most importantly relatable.
Whitney Atkinson
This was so cute and fun! I read it in one sitting and laughed out loud several times, and I definitely took a picture of a few of these comics to send to friends or post on snapchat. As an anxious bookworm, I really connected with parts of it.

The only thing I'm not fond of is there's a few times that this book falls into the mentality of "I hate people!! I want to be alone all the time because I hate every single person I know!!" and I feel like that's such a Tumblr 2012 mentality that I don't
Megan Johnson
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am veeeerry behind on learning about Sarah Andersen's work. I've seen her comics floating around on social media for years, laughed at them, wondered how such simplistic drawings could be so relatable, and then moved on without giving it so much as a second thought.

Then I stumbled upon Adulthood Is A Myth, and now I'm a big fan.

Adulthood Is A Myth isn't so much a comic book in that it doesn't tell a continuous story, but it is a book of comics - they are unrelated but well worth reading at o
Nazanin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.5 "Fun-But-Real" Stars

First of all, I’d like to thank my dear friend Mohadese for this recommendation! So thank you hun! Second, I loved it! I had so much fun with this book! I didn’t read any graphic novels (I didn’t think there is something that can attract my attention but oh boy, how I was sooo wrong!) and it was my first but such an awesome read! It was fun but at the same time it was sooo real! All of it! all the emotions, all the what we Must do and at the end what we do! Oh, God I real
Glire
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
description

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that if you are socially awkward, you're going to feel identified with this book.

description

Sarah Andersen captures in simple and funny comics, the essence of being awkard and what growing up is all about...

...avoiding old classmates!
carol.
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Hyperbole and a Half
Recommended to carol. by: Amy (Other Amy)
Judging by the reviews, many, many readers see themselves in Sarah’s work. I completely understand, because I do too.

description

After seeing a friend’s glowing review (thanks, Amy[Other Amy]!), I had to give this a try. As a lifelong bookworm and introvert, I recognized many of my experiences put into cute visuals.
description

I was well-known among high school friends for my mispronunciations of words I had only read, although I never managed the ability to walk while reading without tripping over myself.

The artisti
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

It has been ages since I picked up a book of comic strips. I saw a couple of positive remarks about this book and grabbed it immediately. Once I started reading these comics, I couldn't put the book down. I had never seen the Sarah Scribbles character before and was really excited to see what this was all about.

I was surprised by how much I was able to related to this funny little book of comics. There were entries about books, being an intro
Ahmed  Ejaz
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017

This was my first read of graphical book. Most importantly my first hilarious read. Even though I couldn't laugh that much because the things illustrated in the book are totally relatable.
Author, Ironically, illustrated the facts of our life. These are those things which everybody faces during their life time. But the way author has illustrated is extremely good and, you can say, funny.
I think everyone should give it a read. You will love it. It will lighten up your mood.
Some of the pag
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing

What can I say? I love Sarah Scribbles Comics.
I always loved them, like since forever (or since I found them on the Internet).
I follow her on Facebook, on Instagram and now my wonderful boyfriend bought me her comics (super early christmas present...).
And I totally love them.
There are soooo relatable and through the whole book I'm like
"That's me."
"Totally me."
"Yep, me."
Farith
Have you ever been in that kind of situation where you felt too awkward or embarrassed and all you wanted is to be buried alive? That feeling when you are the only one in your kind, the rare of the group or the "different one"? Are you reading this as if you with that old classy commercial voice? Well then let me tell you that this book is for you if you answered yes! And if you said no, then maybe you're not making into adulting, or you're a really boring one.

Sarah Andersen did an incredible jo
Heidi The Reader
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
An utterly charming collection of simple cartoons which illuminate some of life's undeniable truths.

For example, thinking about putting on your pajamas all day and then the joy of actually doing so.

Or considering being productive but then laying around on the couch in a stupor.

Totally relatable and reminiscent of I Was a Child by Bruce Eric Kaplan, Adulthood is a Myth is for anyone who tries to be a normal, functional adult but doesn't succeed. And isn't that all of us?
Deborah Obida
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Deborah by: Tessy Ijachi
Never in my life have I read a more relatable book than this. Its like the author wrote my life story. The graphics made it even more fun to read.

Some of the parts I love in the book are....
-The phone call part, I hate phone calls for no just reason, I'd rather have a real life conversation, I'm not as bad as Ronan Lynch but am so close.

-When clothing companies pretend that bras don't exist. Clothes that you wear that your bra still manages to show, either the strap, the back, armpit section etc
Greta
I'm stunned. Flabbergasted. This cartoonish scribble has won the Goodreads Choice Award for Graphic Novel/Comic in 2016.
Really? There's no artistry, and there's no story. It's not even funny. In my (minority) opinion it's a disgrace for the genre and an insult to serious artists.
I truly hope readers will make a better choice this year.

photo 9B542562-C6F1-433C-8750-14F9BD70330C.jpeg
 photo 31D8CD06-3DF7-4B3F-8E79-DB90A71DC78D.jpeg
 photo E2209CFF-5352-482A-8699-C774B12FFE6D.jpeg
 photo 225566BC-B387-4F25-BD00-07574A4DEFD8.jpeg

• Heart and Brain: Gut Instincts: An Awkward Yeti Collection
  • Giant Days, Vol. 5 (Giant Days, #5)
  • Step Aside, Pops (Hark! A Vagrant, #2)
  • Princeless, Vol. 4: Be Yourself
  • Razzle Dazzle Unicorn (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #4)
  • The Worrier's Guide to Life
  • Sink or Swim (Lumberjanes, Vol. 6)
  • Fowl Language: Welcome to Parenting
  • Cat vs Human: Another Dose of Catnip
  • It's All Absolutely Fine
  • The Creeps
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
Hello! I’m Sarah and I’m a cartoonist and illustrator. I graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art in 2014 and currently live in Brooklyn. My comics are semi-autobiographical and follow the adventures of myself, my friends, and my beloved pets.

Sarah's Scribbles (3 books)
  • Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2)
  • Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3)
“That was way less money than I thought it was.” 8 likes