Start by marking “Grimdark Magazine: Issue #1 (Grimdark Magazine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Grimdark Magazine: Issue #1 (Grimdark Magazine, #1)

Grimdark Magazine: Issue #1 (Grimdark Magazine #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  60 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Grimdark Magazine #1 - Available 1 October 2014.

Fiction:

Bad Seed (Broken Empire) by Mark Lawrence
Shadow Hunter (Shadows of the Apt) by Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Woman I Used to Be by Gerri Leen
The Neutral by Anatoly Belilovsky (translator) and Mike Gelprin (author)
The Red Wraith by Nick Wisseman

Non-Fiction:

An interview with Joe Abercrombie
An interview with Graham McNe
Published October 14th 2014 by Grimdark Magazine

To ask other readers questions about Grimdark Magazine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grimdark Magazine

Molly

‘Some men just want to watch the world burn.’ He grinned.
‘I’m the fire.’
‘That you are, brother, and which of us is worse?’

description

Rating 4.5 (5 for Bad Seed by Mark Lawrence)

Articles and book reviews, interviews and five short stories. To tell the truth I wouldn't even noticed it if not for Bad Seed the Broken Empire short featuring Red Kent's pre-brotherhood life ... that's the one that made me buy this issue of Grimdark Magazine and the one I liked the most.

"Others emerged behind h

Daniel
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-e-books
Ako vas interesuje sta je tacno Grimdark ovaj magazin predstavlja odlican start u taj svet. Par lepih prica, par interesatntnih intervjuja sta vise reci.
C.T. Phipps
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grimdark, fantasy
Grimdark is a genre which has been developing for quite some time. The inheritor of the mantle of Dark Fantasy and Low Fantasy, it just sounds better frankly. Likewise, it has the benefit of being able to learn from both those subgenres' mistakes while picking and choosing what elements it wants to take on. However, at the end of the day, it's still a pretty nebulously defined term and its fallen to authors like myself (here) and a few others to try to make sense of it.

That doesn't mean a maga
The Grim Reader (Beavisthebookhead.com)
Grimdark is a genre that seems to be going from strength to strength. It is a kind of dark fantasy fiction with morally ambiguous characters, dark settings and worlds and it’s something I enjoy reading a great deal. Although 2016 hasn’t seen me read much in the way of it, 2017 will be different.

Grimdark magazine is a great way of familiarizing yourself with what the genre has to offer and this first magazine features a piece by Grimdark heavyweight Mark Lawrence. The magazine features fiction, n
Javier Muñoz
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Buen inicio de la revista, con entrevistas de nivel, al menos 3 historias memorables (sobretodo la de Mark Lawrence) y otra bastante buena. Se queda un poco corta en cuanto a páginas, se lee demasiado rápido.
Dawn
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Starts and ends strongly, but the middle? Eh. Gerri Leen's story is clunky, predictable, and not very well written. Didn't particularly like Nicholas Wisseman's story either, but that could've been my personal dislike for the person/tense used. In spite of those two missteps, this issue of Grimdark Magazine was still the best short form fiction magazine I've read in a while.
Kevin Gardner
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Good magazine,the shadows of the apt short was a good introduction Into a series I Intend to start shortly. The mark Lawrence broken empire short was a master class in how to write short fiction. I will be reading the rest of these magazines as they become available. Highly recommended to anyone who likes there fantasy on the dark side.
Levi
This magazine is exactly what I was looking for. There are stories (fantasy and science fiction), interviews, an essay, and a book review. The highlights for me were the stories "The Woman I Used to Be" by Gerri Leen and "Bad Seed" by Mark Lawrence.

"The Woman I Used to Be" is a science fiction story featuring a woman struggling with amnesia in the wake of a shuttle crash. "Bad Seed" by Mark Lawrence is a fantasy story set in his Broken Empire world and tells the backstory of one of its character
Victor
The Red Wraith by Nicholas Wisseman ?/5

The Neutral by Anatoly Belilovsky (translator) and Mike Gelprin (author) 5/5

Joy Cronje
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love the short stories. The short stories are why I buy this, honestly. Sure there are gray interviews and the other content is pretty good, but the short stories are awesome.
weateallthepies
T Gillmore
Oct 02, 2016
Michael
Mar 27, 2017
Sword & Sorcery: ...: Grimdark Magazine - Excerpt Competition 7 21 Sep 24, 2015 07:57AM
Goodreads Librari...: Author Name Correction 4 26 Aug 18, 2015 11:10PM

Grimdark Magazine (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Grimdark Magazine: Issue #2 (Grimdark Magazine, #2)
  • Grimdark Magazine Issue #3 (Grimdark Magazine, #3)
  • Grimdark Magazine Issue #4 (Grimdark Magazine, #4)
  • Grimdark Magazine Issue #5 (Grimdark Magazine, #5)
  • Grimdark Magazine Issue #6 (Grimdark Magazine, #6)
  • Grimdark Magazine Issue #7