Start by marking “Tennis Shoes” as Want to Read:
Tennis Shoes

Tennis Shoes

(Shoes #2)

Will the four Heath children continue their family tradition and become tennis champions?

The Heath kids—Nicky, David, and twins Jim and Susan—come from a long line of ace tennis players. Now their dad has decided it’s time to teach them everything he knows about the game.

The twins are the odds-on favourites to become the next champs. Susan shows a lot of promise, winn
Published June 30th 2015 by Open Road Media Teen & Tween (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Tennis Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tennis Shoes

Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, tennis, pressure, money, talent.

I am so glad that as I child I picked up Ballet Shoes and not this, because otherwise I honestly wouldn't have bothered with any of the author's other books. Which is a huge shame, as Ballet Shoes is one of my all time favourite books and I reread it often.

It's still charming and sweet but I expected more.
L.H. Johnson
Streatfeild season comes when you least expect it. For me, it came earlier this week with the sight of Tennis Shoes on a library trolley, and then, as I read it and the evenings started to twist around the end of Summer and things like Yorkshire puddings and joints of beef found their way into the fridge, I realised that it was most definitely Streatfeild season and it was good. It was time for the rich books, the books of tumultous family and bright, hard-working children that don't jib and don ...more
Katie
Hmm, an interesting one, a Streatfeild about SPORTS, gasp! The pacing didn't quite work and I do think the family treated Nicky rather unfairly at times.

But enjoyable enough overall.
Beth
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The writing is, frankly, pretty awful, but Nicky is a gift:
In spite of her triumph, Nicky got into bed feeling cross. There was absolutely nobody to jump about and be pleased with. "Oh well," she thought, tucking in her back, "if nobody else is pleased, I am." She settled down for the night. "Good night, Nicky, dear. Many congratulations."

There are a few other great human moments, too, mostly with Susan and Nicky. This is a slight but very entertaining book.
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not only do the lucky kids in this book have red hair, they also possess a natural talent for tennis. Gosh, but I was an envious child!
Lola Smith
Actual rating: 2.5

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield was actually one of the first books to get me into reading, (and I actually read it again this year) and I’m so grateful that I picked that one when I was 9, and not Tennis Shoes. I just found it incredibly boring, and it may just be that I find tennis much less interesting that theatre or pretty much anything else, but it just took me so long to get through because if just felt like I was reading the same page again. All the interesting events
Rosa
May 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books, 30s
I hate this entire family except for Nicky, and I hope they die.
M S
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A loved favorite from childhood, as most books by Streatfeild have been. It's a shame that hey books, especially those in the Shoes series are out of print or only available as European imports.
The story itself is for ages 9-11, and would not likely be engaging to older children, or those who dislike sports and tennis. The reader will learn more about growing up in a large English family in the early 20th century, before World War II than about tennis.
Caroline
I liked this book not a lot but I was interested by the book. This was not one of Noel Streatfeilds best books but I liked it.
Fi
My least favorite 'Shoe' book despite being about tennis. I think the children in this one aren't particularly likable!
Webcowgirl
Well researched and with some charming characters but just a bit dry if you don't like tennis.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I'm giving this book 3 stars because it's not Streatfeild's fault I don't like it much. I knew that going in; I care not a rap for tennis (or any other sport). It's great if you want to do it, I'm sure it's excellent exercise, but--really? It's like golf; do it if you want to do it, but the only thing less exciting for me on TV is darts or billiards. But you can't go by me; in my youth I did a very little fencing, but if you have to run to get there, I'm not going.

So I ended up skimming all the
Ravi Singh
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent children's book which many adults too can learn from.

The introduction says this world does not exist anymore in which this story is set: children obey their p[parents, families egg each member on to do well, even make harsh sacrifices, a lorry driver can be trusted to drop a kid off at home, and winning for your country but winning with integrity means much. The characters, especially David and Nicky are very well written and endearing.

So much aspiration and inspiration in this st
Tanya
Very sweet story published in 1937 about the Heath family. Dr. Heath and his wife have 4 children, a set of twins and two children; they have a cook and governess/housekeeper. The Grandfather and Father were champion tennis players in their time and the sport of tennis flows in the family's blood; one of the children is quite good at the sport herself! Nice novel about a family going about their ordinary days as the year moves on; the reader follows along with the holidays and seasons. These old ...more
16hampz
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Slocombe
There are two problems with this book. One is that tennis is incredibly boring. Two is the fact that the family are really snobby and posh and weirdly horrible to each other. Definitely the worst of the Shoes so far.
Dawn
I have always loved Noel Streatfeild's books -- as a child and as an adult reading them to my daughters. This was not one of my favorites, but I also am not a huge tennis fan. My nine year old daughter really liked it :).
Danielle
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved "Ballet Shoes" and "Dancing Shoes" as a child, but found very little enjoyable about this book.
Margaret
Not my favorite Shoe book, but then I'm not a tennis player nor particular fan. Follows the usual pattern of these books, with one daughter the ''less lovely'' and (apparently) liked of the family.
Roxanne Allsopp
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, it was really sweet! I loved how there was a variety of characters and not just 1 person that was focused on.
Geraldine
Disappointed.

This captivated me as a child and led to me spending hours playing tennis against the garage door.

It annoyed me now more than it entertained me.

It's set in Tulse Hill. I know that because Noel Streatfeild keeps telling us. I have just moved away from Brixton Hill, the parallel road to Tulse Hill, the adjoining ward...heck, my telephone exchange was Tulse Hill. But nothing in the book gives any sense of place.

No sense of time, either. I like books that evoke that period, but frankly
Irene
Sep 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged girls
Shelves: children
This is the fourth "shoe book" that I've read, and so far it's my least favorite. For me, tennis as the talent du jour just wasn't as exciting or as interesting as the stage talents (dancing, acting, singing) of the other shoe books I've read.

And, dare I say it? Was the book less appealing because the children weren't orphans? In the other books, the children were surrounded by supportive caretakers - Garnie and Nana in Ballet Shoes, Hannah and Alice in Theater Shoes, and Pursey and Mrs. Storm
Boweavil
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece from Streatfeild. The description of the life of a child who chooses to become a professional athlete is very different from most kid's books. I remember enjoying this immensely and rereading it more than once.
Sally
A Noel Streatfeild I never read as a child! First time reading it now - I have The Circus is Coming new to read as well, hooray :)

I enjoyed this, but I didn't love it quite as much as her dancing books. Maybe also it's me coming to this fresh as an adult and not reading it with childhood nostalgia too, but I just kept noticing very strongly how much the children were pushed into doing tennis. It was like their father and grandfather decided they would all be fabulous tennis players and that was
Deborah
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Infuriatingly, I can't add a photo of the cover for this edition. I've done it when adding an edition for the first time, but don't want to duplicate editions (because I can see why this annoys GoodReads). So, I'm a bit put out.

But that's about right for this book. It is probably NS's funniest - it is hugely entertaining, and don't worry if you don't care for tennis (it bores me rigid) because you don't actually learn a great deal about it, any more than you will be able to pirouette after readi
Gwyn
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one ^_^ In fact, I preferred it to Ballet Shoes... and yet here I am giving it the same rating. Hmm. Perhaps I truly should have given Ballet shoes a 3.... but I have my loyalty to Kathleen Kelly at stake, and that is something I am not willing to forego. So 4 stars they shall both be.

This really was a charming book, and I do like how Noel Streatfield writes. Most of the time she knows exactly what it feels like to be child... It is at times relatable, and at times took me back a co
Susann
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Re-read in honor of this year's U.S. Open. Again, YES, to Annie.
And I think of this line whenever I'm floating in water, trying to savor it all:
"On a dirty, foggy night in November we'd say: 'Let's take out Bournemouth and sit among the pine trees for a bit.'"

02-24-2009:
In the middle of Friday night's Il Trovatore, I suddenly thought of Tennis Shoes. No idea why, but it must be time for a re-read.
Update: First read in 1984/85. My Dell Yearling copy is not quite as tattered as my copy of Ballet
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A likeable story for children, about a family of redheads who learn to play tennis. Set in the 1930s, when it was first written, it features the Heath family: the twins Susan and Jim, their sister Nicky and their younger brother David.

Good characterisation, family values (if a little old-fashioned), and well-written. No dancers in this book, and though David has a particularly nice voice, it's not the focus of the story. While some of the people remind me strongly of other Streatfeild character
Alice
Apr 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit
Not my favorite Streatfeild, although it's charming and full of strong old fashioned morals which I agree with, such as work hard and you'll get ahead, and be frugal. That's the spirit! I also like how the boys and girls are treated exactly the same when it comes to athletic competition, which is refreshing today, let alone in 1937. I sympathized with Susan, the eldest, who comes off as a bit of a sop, but has her heart in the right place, and I thought Nicky was a little madam and a pain in the ...more
Kel
May 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I enjoyed reading this, although one of the main characters, Nicky, was rather annoying. David was my favorite--"tollaly dor'ble [sic:]." Two themes are dominant in this book: hard work is important, even if you have a natural talent; England was in a moral slump and needed youth and hard work to get out of it. Nicky had the talent, but was lazy. Susan had the willingness to work, but lacked that spark of a champion. Tennis is the means by which Ms. Streatfield frames her themes, like acting, ba ...more

• Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Drina's Dancing Year
  • Mennyms Alone (Mennyms, #4)
  • Thursday's Children
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • Jo Returns to the Chalet School
  • Five Little Peppers Midway (Five Little Peppers, #2)
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Midnight Hour Encores
  • Dido and Pa (The Wolves Chronicles, #7)
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline (Caroline Tate, #1)
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family
  • The Little Gymnast
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, was an author best known and loved for her children's books, including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB p ...more

Shoes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ballet Shoes (Shoes, #1)
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Party Shoes (Shoes, #5)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7)
  • Family Shoes (Shoes, #8)
  • Dancing Shoes
  • New Shoes (Shoes, #10)
  • Traveling Shoes (Shoes, #11)