Start by marking “The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide” as Want to Read:
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide (The Wicked + The Divine #12-17)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  9,394 Ratings  ·  1,094 Reviews
After the detonation of FANDEMONIUM the gods-as-pop-stars of THE WICKED + THE DIVINE try living in the long dark shadow.

Team WicDiv are joined by a stellar cast of guest artists to put the spotlight on each of the gods. The multiple Eisner Award nominated series continues in the only way it knows how: darker, weirder, faster. Don't worry. It's going to be okay.

Collects TH
Published February 9th 2016 by Image Comics (first published February 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3, please sign up.
deflime Sort of. Issue 14 is crucially important to the plot. Issue 13 is somewhat important but could technically be skipped, but is the best read of the…moreSort of. Issue 14 is crucially important to the plot. Issue 13 is somewhat important but could technically be skipped, but is the best read of the volume. Issue 16 is also somewhat important, but likely skippable as well. I'll post a spoiler summary below.

SPOILER summary of this volume, without totally revealing Issue 14 bombshell. Baal attacks Morrigan because he thinks she's hiding Baphomet. She is imprisoned by Woden after that until they can track down B. In issue 13 we meet Tara, but also lose Tara. Issue 14 reveals who killed the judge. And Issue 16 gives us a bit of backstory on Baphomet and Morrigan's relationship, they knew each other (they dated) prior to becoming gods and Morrigan may be responsible for actually bringing Baphomet into the fold, she feels somewhat responsible for his actions. This isn't really fleshed out very well within just one issue. Not much else.(less)

Raeleen Lemay
Feb 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
This volume was an absolute mess. Art all over the place (and near the end, outright terrible) and the story had no sensible flow to it. SO DONE.
Samantha
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This was mostly filler with all the guest artists and didn't really push the story forward at all. I didn't mind the guest artists except for the artist on issue 17. Sooo ugly. All the other ones I could stomach, even if they didn't fit the style of the comics. I'm excited to get to volume 4 now!
HFK
Dec 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphics, paidkindle
Third volume of the God Superstars series The Wicked + The Divine does every bit of justice to its title; Commercial Suicide. There is no recovering from this oversuicide, which seems to be somewhat intentional and planned, but in its wisdom crucially fails.

From the start this series has been extremely weak when comes to the story. It has been full of holes, it has been overly messy, it has been confusing, it has been plain bad, there has never been a strong string to keep anything together, loo
Sam Quixote
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
I think the third volume of The Wicked + The Divine is where I leave this series – rather than improve after the disappointing second volume, it remains flat and at this point I’ve completely lost interest. It even takes things down a notch with artist Jamie McKelvie, whose work is the biggest selling point of the comic, being practically absent for the book – I wonder if that’s why the subtitle is Commercial Suicide?

Fandemonium left readers with a jaw-dropping finale that Commercial Suicide st
Matthew
2.5 to 3 stars

Not quite sure what they are doing with this series at this point. The notes mention that each issue in the collection was written and illustrated by different people. Instead of being an interesting series of vignettes, it felt like several haphazard interpretations of the same universe with very little connection to each other.

I know that graphic novels don’t always keep the same artist and that can be either good or bad. In this case, I think it was very bad. The main draw for m
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

3.5 Stars rated up

The second I opened up this volume of The Wicked + The Divine, I knew something was different. The art changed. At first I thought I was going completely insane. Why would the art change? Jamie McKelvie’s name is still on the front cover. Yet, I knew something was different. Before I even began to read the first page, I skimmed through the volume. I was right! The art style seemed to change within every individual issue. I was slightly confused by this decision as there was no
Mar 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z2017, graphic-novels
For once I liked the story more than the art in this comic. I didn't like the art as much because they had guest artists come in and do the art for the different issues. It's not like I disliked the guest art as a whole but when you compare it to McKelvie's perfect artwork, it just falls short. I thought that in theory, it was a pretty cool idea and if I didn't love McKelvie's art so much then I could have definitely been behind the idea but for me, the original art is the best thing about this ...more
Selene Matheson
Dec 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
What a mess.

Side Note: I started this for the 2016 7in7 ReadAThon and it turns out I was a day early... Poo.
Helen 2.0
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I couldn't bear to give less than 3 stars because I can't get over how amazing the art is. I want to bring the artist cookies and then purposely withhold them from the writers until they decide to cough up some sensible story material.

The mysterious, patchy, at times totally unexplained storytelling is really starting to get on my nerves with this series. I accepted it in the first volume because I thought the writers were just giving the series a running start, but now 3 volumes later I'm stil
Liz
This one provides the background story to several gods and also a new insight into the intrigues and lies. At times it is very confusing, other times totally mind-blowing, but overall very enjoyable and I am really looking forward to the next volume after the cliffhanger in this one...

BUT - I hope the graphic unity will return because while I had no issues with several styles used in this volume, there was one I don't want to see again, like, EVER:

or:

No. Just no.
I'd prefer it if the authors u
Connor
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I wasn't a big fan of the guest artists as a whole. Some were great but most styles were not my cup of tea. One of the big reasons why I loved this series in the first place was the artwork, so that was obviously not present here. Some of the individual issues were just meh in plot for me as well. I feel like you could probably just look up what happens in this one and move on to the forth volume when that comes out with the original artist back. A bit disappointed in this volume for sure.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

So far in The Wicked + The Divine we had stellar art, mind-blowing, beautiful and fascinating(+++). And we had a story on the moodier side, a bit slow-pacing, but with potential(-).

Now, in this volume, we have a somewhat faster developing story(+) and THE WORST ART IMAGINABLE(-------). There was maybe one guest artist that I kind of liked and one that I did not totally hate. The rest of it was offensive, most of all Sakhmet's issue.

Offensive, I tell you
ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Ah… The Wicked + The Divine. “You will be loved. You will be hated” has never been more true....

I loved you... now I hate you. And it makes me sad.

Let’s take a series loaded with a multitude of characters, some of which the reader has barely met and can hardly recognize, with a complicated and at times confusing story line.
Now lets add new artists every issue for 6 issues and see if we can completely confuse and alienate our readers.

Mission accomplished.

What the hell happened? We had a good thi
Calista
I couldn't follow this story. They didn't do enough to link things together. What is happening - who knows. I really enjoyed the 1st 2 books. This was a huge let down. I still want to know what happens and I hope it gets better again. I didn't enjoy this one.

Dripping with disappointment. This was a very undivine attempt at a story. I hear these are guest artists and it wasn't as good.

Total Fail! I didn't give it one star because I have enjoyed the series. Only saving grace.
Macarena Yannelli
actualizado 9/4/2018
Como la primera vez... el hecho de que hayan invitado otros artistas no es el problema sino que es que el tipo de arte de algunos de los tomos (12 y 17) no tiene nada que ver con el tono de la historia en sí, los otros tomos el arte el lindo pero no es lo mismo que el original.
El siguiente tomo es mejor, sigan leyendo.

3,5
Sentí que este tomo estuvo bastante desordenado que digamos. No mostró mucho avance del argumento y de desarrollo de los personajes sino más bien una mirada
Antonomasia
Reading all three trade volumes of The Wicked & the Divine over two days has been intense, and I daresay gives a different view from following the series over a couple of years. This volume, though I didn't like it at first, turned out the most varied and interesting of all in storyline, effect perhaps augmented by the variety of guest artists, and more depth for a few characters.

The hollowness, cynicism and meta-commentary behind the gorgeous mythical pop-tropes (which, as a big fan of Pho
Shannon
I'm reading this collected volume but since each issue kind of feels like a self-contained story I'm just going to give some thoughts for them separately while I read.

#12 - Wow, the artwork took a huge step back. Super distracting and kind of ugly.

#13 - Well, damn. Finally get to meet a new character and now she's dead too.

#14 - Not a fan of Woden/Odin/Tron/Daft Punk guy. Also, the green text and font are super annoying to read.

#15 - Oh hey, new artist again ... this looks familiar ... Aha! It's
Joshie
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
The 3rd volume of The Wicked + The Divine was disappointing, unimaginative and nearly plotless. It didn't continue where the 2nd volume left off by avoiding the matter at hand and focusing instead at background, flat characters. And with nothing much happening but the backstories of The Morrigan and Sakhmet and occasionally confusing, out of the blue god/goddess-rage and random (?) god/goddess decisions, the art was inconsistent, hard to get used to, might be unpleasant to the eyes depending on ...more
Ashley Brooks
So, not much plot going on in this volume which could probably be attributed to Laura not being in it. There were a few predictable reveals and a little backstory but it could have used a fair bit of oomph.

About the art- Ugh. I'm so torn. I love the idea of guest artists. I really really do. It works great in some series. Unfortunately it didn't do it for me in this case. The changes in artists and huge range of styles really pulled me out of what little story was going on. In some cases I had t
Temi Panayotova
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really amazing - the artwork in this volume are even better and than the ones before, however the story is not that good, like the one with Laura. Still do not regret reading!
description
Michelle Morrell
I'm not as into this series as I was, I lost track of the plot and who is which god. The story of The Morrigan raised it a star though, she's pretty awesome.
Sesana
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
(Received from Netgalley for review.)

Definitely the weakest volume of WicDiv so far, which is intentional? I guess? McKelvie's absence from the book (apparently to work on Phonogram) means both a volume full of guest artists who I just don't like quite as much and an exposition filled volume that almost entirely ignores major plot developments from the last volume. But I knew all of that going in, and I suppose that there was at least a modicum of an effort to keep fan expectations low. Still, m
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
aaaand I'm still disappointed with this series.
this is the most unnecessary volume so far. one issue is very important, the other 5 are just there doing nothing. I'm not that interested in the gods' backstories when there's such a big thing going on in the present! each issue seems to be written as they come, there's no previous planning. at this point, the writer seems completely lost in the direction of the story. this is not what I signed off for with the first volume.
and don't get me started
Kate
*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

After the shocking last issue, this volume concentrates more on some of the original gods/goddesses providing some back story as to who they were before being chosen. We also find out who has been taking out the gods and it's a shock to see who it is although there is no explanation as yet as to why they are doing it.

I miss the main character, Laura, without her it feels a bit more like a bunch of sho
Nikki
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Commercial Suicide is right, sadly. I wanted to love this book. I adored the heck out of the first two volumes, and especially with that twist at the end of volume two. And then… McKelvie goes on holiday, we get a load of backstory and alternate points of view, and the story almost entirely lacks the characters we’ve come to love. Partly because there’s a high body count in these comics, but also because Odin can’t be anyone’s idea of a hero, and it’s becoming apparent that Ananke is more than s ...more
Jacquelyn
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh.... was sort of hoping to enjoy this one a lot more. The art styles were just so choppy. I really didn't like the art that was being used towards the end and it was so different than what was being used beforehand. The story wasn't really captivating me. I enjoyed this volume up to and including the whole part about Tara but it seems like once that happened, my interest faded and I wasn't connected. I have been told that there will be more volumes and I have also heard that next volume, the ...more
Shadowdenizen
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-other
This is an inherently READABLE, comic and this is a decently strong arc. (Far better than "Fandemonium" [the second arc], in any event.)

Though this arc answers a few questions, and brings up some more, it ultimately fails to live up to the promise of the first few issues. This is still on my monthly "Pull List", but it's not necessarily "Top of the Pile" material anymore.

3.5 stars (rounded up to 4 for the premise and the jump in quality between Arc 2 + 3, and the willingness of the title to sacr
Tilly
Mar 22, 2016 marked it as did-not-finish
For some reasons I could not force myself to finish this graphic novel. I am just not getting into the story again and I found not even the art work as impressing as in the previous volumes (even though there are still some very nice illustrated pages). Overall I think, this series just isnt for me unfortunately. ...more
Neil (or bleed)
Actual rating: 2.5 stars
Clarissa
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Definitely a filler volume.

If you wanted to know what happens after the end of volume 2, this will be a disappointment. These 6 issues each focus on one pantheon, providing a glimpse into who they were before he/she became a god. The art for each issue is also different and not nearly as pretty to look at as the first two volumes.

A couple of issues were interesting and some just fell flat for me but that may just because I care about some gods more than others. The only one you really need to r
  • Rat Queens, Vol. 3: Demons
  • Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison
  • Sex Criminals, Vol. 3: Three the Hard Way
  • Death Vigil, Vol. 1
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2:  Friendship to the Max
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Vol. 2: Squirrel You Know It's True
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4: Last Days
  • She-Hulk, Volume 2: Disorderly Conduct
  • Thor, Volume 2: Who Holds the Hammer?
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 3: Last Days
  • Bitch Planet, Vol. 1: Extraordinary Machine
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted?
  • Injection, Vol. 1 (Injection, #1)
  • Shutter, Vol. 1: Wanderlost
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.
More about Kieron Gillen

The Wicked + The Divine (10 books)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act
  • The Wicked + The Divine: 455 AD
  • The Wicked + The Divine: 1923
  • The Wicked + The Divine: Christmas Annual #1

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49