Start by marking “Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale” as Want to Read:
Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale

Archie, Vol. 1: The New Riverdale (Archie (2015) #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  7,199 Ratings  ·  965 Reviews
America’s Favorite Teenager, Archie Andrews, is reborn in the pages of this must-have graphic novel collecting the first six issues of the comic book series that everyone is talking about. Meet Riverdale High teen Archie, his oddball, food-loving best friend Jughead, girl-next-door Betty and well-to-do snob Veronica Lodge as they embark on a modern reimagining of the belov ...more
Published March 29th 2016 by Archie Comics

To ask other readers questions about Archie, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Anne
This was a huge win for me. HUGE!

description

Archie and his friends were my first introduction to graphic novels, and they will forever hold a special place in my heart. I used to beg my mom to buy them while we were waiting in line at the grocery store, and I can still remember how excited I felt to get my sticky hands on whatever new story was out when she inevitably said yes. <--Because awesome parenting!
Anyway, I said all that to say this: if you do get a chance to look at this, make sure to read Fio
Nat
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I absolutely loved the art in Saga, so when I saw that Fiona Staples contributed to this story, I just had to pick it up.

And the art in Archie was just as stunningly beautiful as it was in Saga.

description
This review contains *spoilers*.

Also, I think I’m a little in love with Archie’s food-loving best friend, Jughead.

description

I really liked getting some background on him, even if it broke my heart a little.

description

This volume, however, focuses mainly on Archie's journey throughout the new school year, bringing with it
Raeleen Lemay
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
Would have been 5 stars if Fiona Staples had done the art for every issue! I loved the story, but frankly I was disappointed by the art change halfway through.

I really like how the characters feel like the same characters, but just MORE? I don't know how to explain it, but they feel more rounded out, and I can't get enough of it. Jughead is just *_*

I'm torn on continuing this series, because apparently Fiona Staples didn't draw anything for the next volume SO
Jan Philipzig
Archie RELOADED!

Hey, this was actually lots of fun! I know, THAT Archie... But believe it or not, this relaunch achieves the impossible: it feels fresh and relevant but still... you know, like Archie. THAT Archie!! I mean, it’s almost mind-boggling when you think about it – Archie’s Riverdale as something not nearly as far-fetched as we had always imagined... whoa!

Mark Waid and Fiona Staples do an incredible job infusing the inevitable Archie-style KleenTeen cheesiness with a contemporary vibe,
Kate (GirlReading)
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having not read the original Archie comics or having watched Riverdale, I was very intrigued going into this and I was pleasantly surprised. It had a relaxed and low-key but intriguing storyline, which was not at all what I'd expected after having heard bits and pieces about the TV show. I absolutely adored the art style and the bold colour scheme and I'm very much looking forward to continuing with this series and getting to know the cast of characters more, as I have a feeling they're going to ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Contemporary-A-Thon challenge #5 - read a contemporary graphic novel: COMPLETE!

I am SO glad that I finally decided to dive into the new Archie comics! I loved the original ones as a kid and I am so excited to say that I really enjoyed this one as well. Although I will be honest and say that this one didn’t have too much going on in terms of plot, which is why I only gave it 3 stars. But I did go ahead and buy the next 3 volumes and I have a feeling that things are really going to start taking of
Carlos De Eguiluz
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
No estaba realmente familiarizado con las historias del gran Archie y sus amigos. Había escuchado un poco y había visto una o dos caricaturas antes, pero nunca supe nada más allá de Archie siendo un chico con unos cuantos amigos que se juntaban a beber malteadas y tocar con su banda. No sé realmente de dónde saco esta memoria, pero la tengo.

El punto es que Riverdale, la nueva serie de CW, está en auge, todos hablan de ella y, para ser honesto, me tiene intrigado. Llevo meses tratando de verla p
Fables&Wren
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
WrensReads Review:

I'm going to admit it... I am reading these comics because I am fully and unconditionally in love with the show that's based off of them, Riverdale. Where everyone is rich and families have dark secrets tangled up in the next family's dark secret and everyone is just really, really pretty.

Differences:
01. Betty and Archie are BROKEN UP after DATING SINCE LIKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL in the beginning of this graphic novel, which is very different from Betty having and undeniable but
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

The nostalgia is strong with this one. I remember being a kid and anticipating the moment that I would receive a new Archie comic from my mother as she got home from work. Every once in a while she would bring home a new Archie digest and I would be ecstatic. I loved reading Archie, in fact, Archie was my first exploration into the world of comics. Whether it be Archie, Betty & Veronica or Jughead, I was always excited to start reading more about Archie and his friends at Riverdale High Scho
Red Panda
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I'll be honest; prior to this, I'd never read an Archie comicbook in my life. Here in the UK, they're not the big thing I hear they are in the States. When I heard about the relaunch, however, with writing by MARK WAID and art by FIONA STAPLES... well, how could I resist?

It started out well; the stories were quite charming and the artwork was stunning... Then the big punch in the face happened: Staples jumped ship after only three issues! Now, for all I know, she may only have been contracted fo
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
BookTubeAThon Challenge: Read a book complete outdoors

In the end, I think I liked this more than the show! The characters are more archetypes, that's for sure, and there's 100% less Josie and the Pussycats because they have their own graphic novel series, but I'm living for Jughead and how Betty is portrayed in this. Definitely need to get my hands on the second volume!
Mel
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
As someone who was personally offended and hurt when Archie proposed to Veronica, I can't do this series. I wanted to see if they'd change things and have him end up with Betty but I don't see that happening.
Ronyell
Archie

Introduction:

WHAT!? ARCHIE IS GETTING A REBOOT!?

Who would have thought the day would come when Archie Comics would finally decide to reboot their beloved “Archie” series which has been around for nearly sixty years now! I must admit, I was quite surprised at this new establishment for Archie Comics (I mean come on, Archie and the gang have been in high school for the past sixty years now)! So, when I heard that Archie was going to get a reboot and it was being written by Mark Waid of “Daredev
Sesana
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm actually, honestly surprised at how much I liked this book. I picked this up entirely out of curiosity. I'm reasonably sure I've never read an Archie book that didn't include zombies, the Predator, or the Punisher, and my knowledge of original recipe Archie is severely limited. But Fiona Staples is a strong motivator for me. It was a good choice.

I can't really compare new school Archie to old school Archie. I'll leave to other reviewers. I can say that I have the distinct impression that old
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of Archie set in the present. And I'm also a big fan of riverdale the show. The comics seems more true to the original books I read as a kid personality wise for the characters. I'm definitely a fan of this and will continue the series.
Michelle
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loooved this. I was obsessed with Archie comics as a kid, and while this has a completely different aesthetic, it still FEELS like reading OG Archie. The humour, the way the characters speak and act, it all had the wholesome feel but Waid still managed to make it feel fresh and new.

I also loved the small changes made. In this itieration, Archie and Betty have just broken up from a long-term relation. Rich and beautiful Veronica Lodge moves to town and sets her eyes on our clumsy red-headed prot
Jesse Nicholas
I knew the second I heard about the reboot of Archie comics I would love it. Brilliantly written by Mark Waid, and beautifully drawn by Fiona Staples (Issue 1-3). I couldn't have asked for a better reinvention of my favorite gang of friends I hold dear to my childhood!!
Michelle Morrell
This is volume one of the reboot, and I think it's a worthy successor to the Double Digests of old. The story was a fun revamp of the mythos, definitely contempory in style, issues and scope. Extra credit for some real depth to the Betty character that has been long coming.

Why only three stars? Two reasons. First was the art. Now, Fiona Staples is a god, her work on Saga is iconic and (at times) carries the story on its own. But here? It threw me off. I'd look at Veronica, posing a very specific
Catfairy Reads YA
Since I have started watching the Riverdale series my love for Archie reignited again! I used to read the comics when I was in second grade and all the memories came flooding back!

When I picked up this comic I thought it was going to have a darker theme like the Netflix series but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the case. The new Riverdale Archie comics has the same nostalgia as the original Archie that I read but with a more of a modern twist such as Betty calling Archie her "bae" or
Donovan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh. I don't get it. Fiona Staples (Saga) is great. But Waid's writing falls flat. Or these characters are just one-dimensional teens and readers project their own nostalgic love for them onto the story. Either way, pretty boring.
Chelsea
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oddly enough, I can't find any flaws with this but I've outgrown stories about high schoolers. If you're in high school, you'll probably love this.

The art is gorgeous and the writing is quirky and adorable!

This updated version of Archie added a lot more diversity. I adore the format. It's like a normal comic but with some moments of 4th wall breaking so Archie can give us some backstory.

Archie, Archie, Archie. What should be the basic and bland of characters is actually really charming and ad
Julie Ehlers
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
As a kid, I loved buying the Archie comics digests and reading them over and over again, and I even had a big anthology of Archie comics from throughout the years, which I was obsessed with (I really need to look for that next time I'm at my mom's house). But for some reason I underestimated how much I would like this reboot. It was totally delightful revisiting these characters, and the modernization and attention paid to backstory made the whole thing much more intriguing.

Unfortunately, this v
Mike
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A self-aware, hip, touching the fourth wall Archie comic?

Here's a book that I though was cast in stone - I'd read Archie Digests at the cottage throughout my childhood, and never saw anything change. Always with the petty squabbles and hijinx, never a death or real-world problem to worry about.

Then I stumbled across Afterlife with Archie. Or rather heard it talked up like madness. And finally got around to it, and thought "OK, it's not groundbreaking - except in the Archie universe."

So I'm will
Chloe
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars! This was cute, funny and I missed reading these comics. Might read the next volumes since I also borrowed the next three!

***

I rarely read comic books/graphic novels because they are so expensive but I borrowed this one from a friend and I used to love reading the small Archie comics when I was younger so getting back into this feels great.
Roxanne
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Never read any Archie before, totally got suckered in by the artwork, because Fiona Staples is just the best, i love her work and it's so uniquely her own style. However she does only illustrate the first three issues, and it's those issues that are the best, it's funny and cute and the artwork works perfectly with that.
After the first three issues though, it kind of goes a bit downhill, or maybe the cutesy appeal is just to much for me, i'm sure some people will love this volume because it's n
Jesse A
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a fine book. The biggest issue I have is that I can't see this aging well.
Jasprit
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
Okay so I decided to jump all over these comics, after binge watching Riverdale, but this graphic novel really wasn't for me :(
Clarissa
Am I the only person who didn’t read Archie as a kid? No? It feels like it haha

I actually really enjoyed this. I didn’t think I would as I’ve grown out of high school series but the characters really work for me. The art is lovely and, of course, Fiona Staples is by far my favorite.

The protagonist, Archie Andrews, is a loveable goofball. I still don’t understand why he’s so popular in school. He’s not a jock or extremely good-looking in the traditional sense that most popular characters in high
Jeremy West
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Watching Riverdale has got me hooked.
Jaclyn
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
*3.5*
As someone who LOVES the show, I picked this up wanting to be around these characters more and it is SO DIFFERENT!!! But I did really like it, the artwork was pretty and I flew through the first 6 issues of Archie easily, I’m excited to read more but just know, it’s very different from the tv show! Since I’m so invested in the show, I definitely feel like that hindered my enjoyment of these issues. I did really like it, but I don’t think I “loved” it like every one else does!
Searching for related books 5 5 Dec 30, 2017 01:26PM
Stream.Premiere! Watch Riverdale Season 2 episode 1 online Full Free 1 3 Oct 12, 2017 11:24AM
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 3: A Terrible Plan
  • Zodiac Starforce Volume 1: By the Power of Astra
  • Afterlife with Archie, Vol. 1: Escape from Riverdale
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked On A Feline
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Giant Days, Vol. 2 (Giant Days, #2)
  • Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)
  • Prez, Vol. 1: Corndog-in-Chief
  • The Mighty Thor, Volume 1: Thunder in Her Veins
  • Saga, Vol. 6 (Saga, #6)
  • Gotham Academy, Vol. 1: Welcome to Gotham Academy
  • Fractured Fables
  • Wonder Woman, Volume 6: Bones
  • Revival Deluxe Collection Volume 1
  • Descender, Vol. 2: Machine Moon
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer and the Great Puppet Theater
  • The Vision, Volume 1: Little Worse Than A Man
Mark Waid (born March 21, 1962 in Hueytown, Alabama) is an American comic book writer. He is best known for his eight-year run as writer of the DC Comics' title The Flash, as well as his scripting of the limited series Kingdom Come and Superman: Birthright, and his work on Marvel Comics' Captain America.
More about Mark Waid

• Archie, Vol. 6

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
  • The Temptation of Adam: A Novel
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Final Six
  • Love, Life, and the List
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1)
    $10.00 $1.99